• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne's Frame Pacing still isn't fixed, it never will be, and that sucks

Compared to some of the tech seen in other games it's kinda not. Especially the character models. Absolutely amazing artistry tho. FS games never have top tier tech behind them. In fact some would argue that that's part of the charm.

Can you quantify this statement? The DF article seems to indicate the opposite about the character models:

Bloodborne's enemy models take a leap in quality too. Even the most basic townsfolk feature fur shaders, an evident boost in polygon count, plus cloth physics.

HoodWinked

this is just wild speculation

but from what i've noticed is that some post processing shader mods that i've used on pc have very inconsistent framerates/judder

i feel like this is because you have the typical rendering pipeline then you sort of hack on this shader at the end.

bloodborne has chromatic aberration so maybe this shader they're implementing similarly at the end which is causing semi erratic performance.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can you quantify this statement? The DF article seems to indicate the opposite about the character models:
An evident boost in polycount compared to past souls games. The game is undoubtedly more intensive than FS's past games but in comparison to other things we've seen...not so much a technical showpiece but as an example of incredibly amazing art design.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's like every damn time I come to this forum I see some new major inexcusable problem with graphics. Frame rate drops, judder, screen tearing, now frame pacing. Outrage culture these days man...

Not when people are sensitive to these things to the point it impacts their enjoyment significantly.

I mean, he kind of contributed...
For example, I had no idea that I was only one of 10% of people who noticed the frame pacing issue.

I'm sure his percentages are totally legit. ^_^

i know for a fact if this game sold 3 million, i bet less than 100k care or even knows what he's talking about. message board posters are indeed the minority in the bigger picture.

From gives zero fucks about framerate and never will. It's a real shame.
Someone needs to tell this chap about sins of the first scholar. Flawless framerate. They are limited by hardware. EVERY developer gives a fuck about framerate, far more than you, the player ever will.

agreed, no one should be allowed to complain about things or find fault in them ever. especially when they pay $60+ for them, you'll hurt the company's feelings
I think he was referring to those claiming from 'doesn't care' about framerate. Yeah, you're allowed to think this if you like. It's absurd though and I'll point it out at ever opportunity.

An evident boost in polycount compared to past souls games. The game is undoubtedly more intensive than FS's past games but in comparison to other things we've seen...not so much a technical showpiece but as an example of incredibly amazing art design.

I'd love to see a more detailed technical analysis from you on this subject. I just feel like you and others in this thread are making these sweeping claims without having the technical knowledge to back it up. You might be right and you might be wrong (I don't know because I'm not a developer), but in truth you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I think Bloodborne gets alot of flak due to its liberal use of chromatic aberration. It causes the overall picture to be softened and distorted, particularly around the edges of the screen. It causes distant objects, especially foliage, to shimmer and generally look terrible. But underneath that, the model work is great. The textures are sharp for the most part. There are impressive shaders at work and of course the cloth physics are great. The architecture and other surfaces make heavy use of tessellation. There's a ton of performance-hungry effects like fog and steam everywhere. Every area is super dense with clutter and a lot of it is destructible. So yeah, while BB might not be the most subjectively good looking game (mainly due to CA), I think its graphic tech is impressive and saying crap like "another developer could get the same game running at 60 fps" is nothing short of uninformed hyperbolic nonsense.

And for the record, I think the frame pacing issue is terrible and should absolutely be fixed. I'm not defending that.

Crossing Eden

I'd love to see a more detailed technical analysis from you on this subject. I just feel like you and others in this thread are making these sweeping claims without having the technical knowledge to back it up. You might be right and you might be wrong (I don't know because I'm not a developer), but in truth you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I think Bloodborne gets alot of flak due to its liberal use of chromatic aberration. It causes the overall picture to be softened and distorted, particularly around the edges of the screen. It causes distant objects, especially foliage, to shimmer and generally look terrible. But underneath that, the model work is great. The textures are sharp for the most part. There are impressive shaders at work and of course the cloth physics are great. The architecture and other surfaces make heavy use of tessellation. There's a ton of performance-hungry effects like fog and steam everywhere. Every area is super dense with clutter and a lot of it is destructible. So yeah, while BB might not be the most subjectively good looking game (mainly due to CA), I think its graphic tech is impressive and saying crap like "another developer could get the same game running at 60 fps" is nothing short of uninformed hyperbolic nonsense.

And for the record, I think the frame pacing issue is terrible and should absolutely be fixed. I'm not defending that.

First of all. Who even said that with another dev it would run at 60fps? Because it certainly was not me. Second of all, I do know what I'm talking about. Other games use teasels too, fog and other intensive effects as well. There are also games much larger with more refined cloth physics and a ton of detailed objects with better character models as well. Witcher 3, Batman AK, ACU/ACS just to name a few examples. Bloodborne characters don't even have lip sync. :/

First of all. Who even said that with another dev it would run at 60fps?

Nah its not pushing. I think there are devs out there that can run a game like this at 60fps.

Anyway, I wasn't claiming that Bloodborne is the best game technically nor do I think that, but frame pacing issue aside I think it's perfectly understandable that the game runs at 30 FPS. There's a lot going on tech-wise that people seem to overlook. That was my only point.

I still find your explanation lacking though. "Other games use this and that too!" is not evidence. What does "More refined cloth physics" or "better character models" even mean? I'm asking for factual comparisons and you're giving me your subjective opinions. Something that looks better to you might in fact be less complicated and thus less intensive on hardware.

Crossing Eden

Anyway, I wasn't claiming that Bloodborne is the best game technically nor do I think that, but frame pacing issue aside I think it's perfectly understandable that the game runs at 30 FPS. There's a lot going on tech-wise that people seem to overlook. That was my only point.

I still find your explanation lacking though. "Other games use this and that too!" is not evidence. What does "More refined cloth physics" or "better character models" even mean? I'm asking for factual comparisons and you're giving me your subjective opinions. Something that looks better to you might in fact be less complicated and thus less intensive on hardware.
-That person is obviously quite misinformed. Although he does have a point that another dev might've been better with optimization. Ofc I don't either console could handle BB at a steady 60fps.
-Check your pms.
-Yes a game can look better but be less intensive but i'm not using examples where that is the case as you'll see.

Asking for a stable 33ms output is the least we can ask for this generation. If you can´t meet that target you´re basically showing your incompetence. And that shouldn't be applauded or defended.

So I played the game after months today, and having mostly played 60FPS games over the last couple of months, I can't say I was pleased when I went back to Bloodborne. The framepacing is definitely problematic, and very noticeable. It's kind of disappointing it hasn't been fixed months after release, because that kind of gameplay would benefit from smoother frametimes.

utena

Banned
I think anyone who suffered through console Blighttown probably didn't think twice about the framerate issues in Bloodborne. In fact I've gotten to the point where I barely notice them while playing a Souls-esque game.

Never had any gameplay issues with this myself. In fact, given that BB was From's first work on the PS4, I thought it performed admirably on the technical side (other than the excessive loading times, which it seems have been alleviated somewhat).

EDIT: Though I will add - there is indeed a noticeable difference switching off between DSII:SotFS and BB. Not a dealbreaker by any stretch, but I'll be very happy when DSIII runs more like the former rather than the latter.

So I played the game after months today, and having mostly played 60FPS games over the last couple of months, I can't say I was pleased when I went back to Bloodborne. The framepacing is definitely problematic, and very noticeable. It's kind of disappointing it hasn't been fixed months after release, because that kind of gameplay would benefit from smoother frametimes.

Heh after playing games on nothing but 60fps, you really think frame pacing fix will make you enjoy 30fps soul game?

I switch between 60FPS Scholar of the First Sin and Bloodborne all the time and I enjoy both! Shocking, I know. :O

Yea same, except with Dark Souls to Bloodborne.

I love how people saying they are "too sensitive" to framerate changes act as if it's a good thing.

It's not really. If anything it just means the person has an inability to adjust lol.

Not when people are sensitive to these things to the point it impacts their enjoyment significantly.

Yeah but the issues in Bloodborne aren't so significant to warrant some of the outrage in this thread. If you're really, "that" sensitive to these issues that the ones in BB sent you into a fit, then you may need to take a step back for a good minute.

Truant

I was going to replay BB (quit after I got kidnapped in a huge sack pretty early on last year), but the frame pacing issues are impossible to ignore after you notice them.

So, I figure I'd just watch ENB's playthrough instead. While I don't personally have to deal with this shit, seeing the jerky character movement and weird stuttering is really annoying. Man, I wish they'd release a 60fps version of BB on PC (with no frame pacing), or at least on PS4k.

I was going to replay BB (quit after I got kidnapped in a huge sack pretty early on last year), but the frame pacing issues are impossible to ignore after you notice them.

So, I figure I'd just watch ENB's playthrough instead. While I don't personally have to deal with this shit, seeing the jerky character movement and weird stuttering is really annoying. Man, I wish they'd release a 60fps version of BB on PC (with no frame pacing), or at least on PS4k.

They did release a patch that helped a bit, but not that much iirc.

Cabal

This is one reason I would be ok with a revision on PS4 hardware. If this game could run at 60 fps, it would be amazing. I played through it, and while some of the frame rate issues were noticible, it didn't bother me enough to stop playing it.

PC would be a day one purchase as well, if I could find some way to bring my save over.

Neiteio

I tried continuing my NG+ play-through of BB after enjoying DS2's silky smooth 60 fps (SotFS), and it was unpleasant. The frame pacing issue is worse than framerate issues. Really wish someone would sort this out.

Alternatively, they could make a 60 fps port of BB on PS4K — or at least a version of the game with no frame pacing issues.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Heh after playing games on nothing but 60fps, you really think frame pacing fix will make you enjoy 30fps soul game?

There's a huge difference between 30fps solid and 30fps with constant frame pacing issues, neither feels as smooth as 60fps but one doesn't feel like complete ass. Bloodborne felt noticeably worse than 30fps titles without such issues because it felt like it was constantly under 30fps.

Its From softwares game engine problem as this issues exists in Dark souls 3 also according to Digital foundary, so better hardware wont solve them and it needs to be addressed by From in their engine.

Someone needs to tell this chap about sins of the first scholar. Flawless framerate. They are limited by hardware. EVERY developer gives a fuck about framerate, far more than you, the player ever will.

I know this post is old and the guy is banned, but what the hell is this even supposed to mean? EVERYONE is limited by hardware, what a lazy ass excuse.

epmode

Its From softwares game engine problem as this issues exists in Dark souls 3 also according to Digital foundary, so better hardware wont solve them and it needs to be addressed by From in their engine.

According to people playing the full version, Dark Souls 3 has no frame pacing issues on PC.

GOOCHY

FROM isn't all that worried about it because it's a tiny, hyper-vocal group of super nerds who complain about it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
FROM isn't all that worried about it because it's a tiny, hyper-vocal group of super nerds who complain about it.

Wanting games to run correctly is soooooooo nerdy.

GOOCHY

The game was released more than a year ago. Maybe move on to some other "issue" to fixate on? Bloodborne is perfectly playable as it is.

According to people playing the full version, Dark Souls 3 has no frame pacing issues on PC.

Strange. I will wait for the DF face off to see why its there only on consoles. Consoles are using PC architecture so it should not have if its not there in PC as DF claiming that its a game engine problem.

I'm still playing it and it's really unfortunate that such an amazing game is crippled by a technical issue that really affects the experience.
It's indeed pretty bad, no 2 ways about it.

BigDug13

Probably too busy making some of the best games around.

It's disappointing that such a talented group of people only want to take their game 99% as far as it should go. They create masterpieces then leave a stain on it and fail to acknowledge it. The game would be even better with the frame pacing fixed.

MODEYV3

Banned
I think unstable frame rates are an acceptable thing to complain about, but Frame Pacing on a year old game thats been slightly patched is a little too much nitpicking.

epmode

I think unstable frame rates are an acceptable thing to complain about, but Frame Pacing on a year old game thats been slightly patched is a little too much nitpicking.

But frame pacing problems essentially mean the game has an unstable framerate.

It's possible to love a game in spite of technical issues. I feel that way about Bloodborne with its stutter and the non-stop chromatic aberration.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Poor frame pacing basically makes the game feel like it's running at low frame rate though, that's why everyone thought Bloodborne was running in the low 20s before Digital Foundry did a video, and being a year old is irrelevant, they've just recently released a GOTY edition and people are still playing it, you act like it's from a different generation not last year.

Drencrom

I tried continuing my NG+ play-through of BB after enjoying DS2's silky smooth 60 fps (SotFS), and it was unpleasant. The frame pacing issue is worse than framerate issues. Really wish someone would sort this out.

Alternatively, they could make a 60 fps port of BB on PS4K — or at least a version of the game with no frame pacing issues.

A PS4K patch/update to Bloodborne like that would definitely push me to get a PS4K.

I can understand the problem people have had with Bloodborne, and it probably should have been fixed, but a lot of the time, I personally had no issue with it. Strangely enough, a lot of the times I saw a stutter or light lag, it was usually out of fights and in Old Yharnam for some reason.

PS4K is your only hope. It's not going to PC.

This issue did not effect my enjoyment at all though. Shame you are missing out on a great game because of a minor issue IMO.

I mean it's definitely an issue. It's a jarring thing to see, and I've had a few dropped inputs.

What are people saying about Dark Souls 3 in this regard?

I mean it's definitely an issue. It's a jarring thing to see, and I've had a few dropped inputs.

What are people saying about Dark Souls 3 in this regard?

The frame pacing problem is in Dark Souls 3 also, and from the impressions I've seen, the console version frame rate is worse than Bloodborne. So pretty much worse than Bloodborne unfortunately. PC version will be fine.

Arkeband

Banned
The game was released more than a year ago. Maybe move on to some other "issue" to fixate on? Bloodborne is perfectly playable as it is.

This issue would be irrelevant if it wasn't carrying directly over to DS3 on X1 and PS4. It's less about Bloodborne than their engine itself.

It seems as if moving the framerate "lock" to 60 solves the issue. And anyone who claims the framerate never stuttered is lying or blind. "I never noticed frame pacing issues" just means "I don't know what frame pacing is."

Top Bottom