• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne's Frame Pacing still isn't fixed, it never will be, and that sucks

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I mean it's definitely an issue. It's a jarring thing to see, and I've had a few dropped inputs.

What are people saying about Dark Souls 3 in this regard?

It was exactly the same, if not a little worse in the beta I played at least, no idea about the retail release but I expect it'll be the same as beta as it's an engine problem.

Reg

Banned
Noticed the frame pacing issues right away, but once you start playing they are easy to ignore.

I'm playing through Bloodborne again - right now, even. I've also maybe noticed whatever is going on with the frame rate but it hasn't had any bearing on my enjoyment of the game, nor has it caused any issue with playability for me. I'm fairly confident this is an overblown issue, especially on console hardware.

Mifec

I'm playing through Bloodborne again - right now, even. I've also maybe noticed whatever is going on with the frame rate but it hasn't had any bearing on my enjoyment of the game, nor has it caused any issue with playability for me. I'm fairly confident this is an overblown issue, especially on console hardware.

It isn't, I couldn't play the game for more than two and a half hours.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

For you maybe, but for me and others who are more sensitive to these issues it becomes a big problem that greatly diminishes the enjoyment we get from the game. So before posting "well it's perfect for me so fuck you" just think about the people it's affecting. It's an issue that shouldn't be present, whether you notice it or not you shouldn't just accept that it's OK to release games with such problems, or at the very least don't make light of the issue. We don't moan about it because it's fun, we moan about it because a great game we love is less enjoyable for us than it should be because of a technical issue that should have been fixed months and months ago. I'm sure we all wish we could be completely oblivious to it, but it's not a switch you can just turn off.

Eidan

I've played and completed Bloodborne, read the thread linked in the OP, and still have no idea what the problem is. It must suck to be so sensitive to frame rate stuff.

While it would be great to get it fixed, it's hardly a major problem and the game is perfectly playable with this small issue. It hasn't stopped me or lots of other people loving this game.

Fitts

And anyone who claims the framerate never stuttered is lying or blind. "I never noticed frame pacing issues" just means "I don't know what frame pacing is."

I'll raise my hand. The outrage about Bloodborne's frame pacing makes me realize that I don't know what it is. I mean, I've read the definitions and know what I'm supposed to be looking for, but it's just not anything that catches my eye. Screen tearing, on the other hand, is something I can't not notice and has put me off from games immediately in the past.

But yes, the framerate definitely stuttered for me in isolated areas. The only one that really stood out was the start of Old Yarnham, though.

MUnited83

For you.
While it would be great to get it fixed, it's hardly a major problem and the game is perfectly playable with this small issue. It hasn't stopped me or lots of other people loving this game.
You do know that one can love the game AND think this is a major issue, right?

SarusGray

I'm kind of glad I don't notice this issue. I understand for others that would suck. Bloodborne remains one of the best games I've ever played and that does think that an issue that could be fixed might never be and others will never enjoy it.

One of the huge reasons I couldn't get far with the game. Hopefully Dark Souls 3 can be improved on this, at least on PC things should be fine.

For you maybe, but for me and others who are more sensitive to these issues it becomes a big problem that greatly diminishes the enjoyment we get from the game. So before posting "well it's perfect for me so fuck you" just think about the people it's affecting. It's an issue that shouldn't be present, whether you notice it or not you shouldn't just accept that it's OK to release games with such problems, or at the very least don't make light of the issue. We don't moan about it because it's fun, we moan about it because a great game we love is less enjoyable for us than it should be because of a technical issue that should have been fixed months and months ago. I'm sure we all wish we could be completely oblivious to it, but it's not a switch you can just turn off.

My only question is wat about it makes the experience so unpleasant that ppl drop the game. I notice the stutter, but I don't see it as a serious issue. I really wanna understand what makes a person more sensitive to it

epmode

My only question is wat about it makes the experience so unpleasant that ppl drop the game. I notice the stutter, but I don't see it as a serious issue. I really wanna understand what makes a person more sensitive to it

Shrug. People's brains and eyes are wired differently. See also: Reactions to chromatic aberration.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

For someone like myself the game feels choppy throughout, and a choppy game is obviously less enjoyable to play than a smooth one. And I have no idea why some people are more sensitive to it than others, all I know is personally I'm extremely sensitive to it, it's why I've always avoided console gaming up until PS4. It could just be conditioning, up until PS4 I had played every game at 60fps without dips, so even 30fps solid with correct pacing feels like the game is running in slow motion, but not choppy, whereas sub 30 or 30 with pacing issues feels very choppy and it kills experience for me.

A great example is Until Dawn, it was by far the chopiest game I've ever played bar Broforce, spending most of the game in the low 20s and under at times, yet in the Until Dawn thread nearly everyone said how performance was perfect for them and they didn't notice any lag and to me that's impossible, but unless they're all compulsive liars there's obviously a reason they don't notice the fact the game is running like shit and I did. I see and feel it straight away, and it confuses the hell out of me how people can say 20fps feels perfect to them when to me it's borderline unplayable (and would be for any other genre).

I wish I was one of the oblivious masses I really do, but as I said I can't just ignore it or get past it and I guess people who don't suffer with this will never understand just how much stuff like this ruins games for us, imagine someone standing next to you yelling "choppy" into your ear constantly as you play, it would distract and break immersion for you wouldn't it? Well that's what happens to us but in our head. And at the end of the day, whether 100% or 10% of the playerbase notice it, it is a fault with the engine and it shouldn't be excused.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Double post because of the lag. Didn't see it went through before.

Auctopus

Making a great game and making one that runs well are not mutually exclusive.

From isn't the only company making fantastic video games.

True but after 4 games, it doesn't seem like they have the ability to do so. I'd rather have their games with a frame-droppy area rather than not have them at all.

For someone like myself the game feels choppy throughout, and a choppy game is obviously less enjoyable to play than a smooth one. And I have no idea why some people are more sensitive to it than others, all I know is personally I'm extremely sensitive to it, it's why I've always avoided console gaming up until PS4. It could just be conditioning, up until PS4 I had played every game at 60fps without dips, so even 30fps solid with correct pacing feels like the game is running in slow motion, but not choppy, whereas sub 30 or 30 with pacing issues feels very choppy and it kills experience for me.

A great example is Until Dawn, it was by far the chopiest game I've ever played bar Broforce, spending most of the game in the low 20s and under at times, yet in the Until Dawn thread nearly everyone said how performance was perfect for them and they didn't notice any lag and to me that's impossible, but unless they're all compulsive liars there's obviously a reason they don't notice the fact the game is running like shit and I did. I see and feel it straight away, and it confuses the hell out of me how people can say 20fps feels perfect to them when to me it's borderline unplayable (and would be for any other genre).

I wish I was one of the oblivious masses I really do, but as I said I can't just ignore it or get past it and I guess people who don't suffer with this will never understand just how much stuff like this ruins games for us, imagine someone standing next to you yelling "choppy" into your ear constantly as you play, it would distract and break immersion for you wouldn't it? Well that's what happens to us but in our head. And at the end of the day, whether 100% or 10% of the playerbase notice it, it is a fault with the engine and it shouldn't be excused.

Conditioning, that makes sense, playing at 60 fps is a dream i hope the next console iterations can achieve

LordOfChaos

With the presumably final patch 1.07 now released and the problem still fully present, it's clear that there is no plan to ever fix it. I still care though, and I don't think I'm alone, so let's complain about it together.
Oh, and chromatic aberration, that sucks too. :p

Have at it.

It's sad going back to this on patch *9*, or even DS3, and it still not being fixed.

I really like the game and it's one of the few that held my attention at all in 2016, but the constant frame pacing issues and the framerate drops that make controls all sticky are really annoying.

You play it for a few hours and it's like hey, it's not so bad, then you go to a normal game like TLOUR, then black to Bloodborne, and man, do you ever notice the chop. Way more than even 30fps games.

Argh. I really wish an interviewer or someone in a position of influence would bring this up with From and SCE.

Even the Neo, if it still has a 30fps limit since the CPU isn't even nearly doubled, will probably have this issue. Uncapped on PC has no issue, 60fps reduces the issue by half. Unless they do uncapped on neo, but then tearing.

Top Bottom