• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne's Frame Pacing still isn't fixed, it never will be, and that sucks

What is chromatic aberration?

Chromatic_aberration_(comparison).jpg

Orayn

While Bloodborne is still one one of my GOTY contenders, the frame pacing problems are a non-trivial blemish on a really great game. I really wish something could be done about it.

Can modders fix the frame pacing on the PC version themselves?

It might not even require modding, really depends on how vsync is implemented and what options players have in that area. If you can force double/triple buffering, for example, that would probably take care of it entirely.

Also, it's possible that From Software will fix it for Dark Souls III on consoles by the time it comes out. (Though I'm not counting on it.)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
For a game where controller response is incredibly important the performance never being fixed is ridiculous. The terrible chromatic aberration too ruins a great art style.

Wagram

I actually held off on playing Bloodborne for several months on account of testimonies from people here about how bad this was. It's actually really overblown, and i'm sensitive to this stuff. Dark Souls 2 on PS3 was bad, this isn't even close.

Should it be fixed? Of course, but i'm actually surprised there's this much outcry over it despite it being not that bad. The outcry should instead be directed into how bad half the bosses in this game are; incredibly faceroll.

They've gone above and beyond in so many other ways since the game released, so I assume it's just not an issue from their perspective. Either that or it's the absolute last thing on their list and they've been working on a bunch of other stuff.

no sense splitting hairs over something as unimportant as framerate, framepacing, input timing, etc
imo bloodborne is more filmic thanks to the stuttering and CA. fixed 30 or higher would ruin the cinematic aesthetic

All those issues add to the nightmarish horror themes that the game is supposed to convey. From Software did it with Dark Souls when they used half framerate in Blighttown to highlight the misery of the game world of Lordran, and they have done it again with Bloodborne.

I feel sorry for the people bluntly claiming "no Problem"..its an issue with the game that is affecting many and if fixed will render a smoother experience.

Its 2015 .....how incompetent are the developers that they are not listening to the community.

FYI, the same issue was in Destiny Beta on PS4 which was quickly fixed.
Nice to see souls series overreactions are still alive and well lol

Footos22

Good for you fucking guys,

it's very noticeable and it's a shame it won't ever be fixed. Luckily DS3 is on PC

Only seems "really noticeable" if you primarily play on a pc which you clearly do. Its a console game,you have to expect tiny little things like this that 9/10 ppl won't even notice.

Hoje0308

Banned
That's a super entitled opinion you've got there.

From has made efforts to improve the game they've shipped through multiple patches. They haven't fixed every problem, but that's true of just about every game patched or otherwise throughout the years.

It's not at all entitled to expect a developer to produce a game that runs properly, especially when it's an exclusive that allows them to focus on one platform. And it certainly isn't entitled enough to require a modifier. Frame times that give the impression of 15 fps performance and frame-rate dips into the low 20s during multiplayer are perfectly good reasons for refusing further payment of their products, especially since they haven't even bothered to patch it in the months after release. But yeah, exercising my rights as a consumer makes me entitled.

Only seems "really noticeable" if you primarily play on a pc which you clearly do. Its a console game,you have to expect tiny little things like this that 9/10 ppl won't even notice.

BS. First of all, no, I don't have to expect that. It's a closed platform, performance is dictated by how hard they push the hardware and how good they are at using it. And "tiny little things" isn't at all an accurate description of the problems that game has, as the only thing longer than the frame times are the load times. Plenty of other studios produce games that run better, and a lot of them are doing so on multiple platforms. Whether or not nine out of ten people will, as you (most likely inaccurately) claim will notice doesn't change the indisputable fact that the problem exists.

Orayn

It's not tiny and not hard to notice. It makes the game look choppy compared to other 30 FPS console games.

Spend a few hours playing Destiny, then a few hours playing Bloodborne and the difference is pretty clear. It didn't ruin my experience, mind you, but it still detracted from it.

ITT: People don't know the difference between Frame Pacing(inconsitent frametimes) and Framerate.

For smooth 30fps you want a 33.33ms frametime. I can get this consistently with Riva Tuner on PC limiting framerate to 30fps. Some games have built in half rate vsync that locks the game at 30fps, but when I look at frametimes they are all over the place. 20ms-40ms something like that.

All those issues add to the nightmarish horror themes that the game is supposed to convey. From Software did it with Dark Souls when they used half framerate in Blighttown to highlight the misery of the game world of Lordran, and they have done it again with Bloodborne.

nailed it on the head right there... souls games aren't about responsiveness or fluidity. the framerate expresses just as much about the atmosphere of the game as the areas around you. it's all been planned out. ps3 could easily run blighttown at 30fps... they chose not to. thats why ill never play it on pc

Footos22

For a game where controller response is incredibly important the performance never being fixed is ridiculous. The terrible chromatic aberration too ruins a great art style.

It's not incredibly important though. Its a 30fps action game where moves are easily telegraphed before they happen. There plenty of time to react.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It's highly unfortunate, to be sure. As others have said, I guess I'm just thankful that Dark Souls III will be on PC.

Nazo

I've definitely noticed it myself but it hardly makes the game an unplayable mess like some people on GAF would have you believe.

It was not to bothersome on my first playthrough but going back after playing a game with better pacing and framerate makes going back hard as it becomes super noticeable.

hesido

I can notice the stuttering but it doesn't bother me much. Sucks for those who are sensitive to that.

The chromatic aberration still bothers me, though.

aIoDG0u.jpg

That is the shittiest CA I've ever seen. It doesn't even add a camera lens feel.

cyber_ninja

It honestly hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game in the slightest.

Same, and I'm generally really sensitive to unstable framerate.

Has never bothered me in the game honestly.

fucking HYPED for Old Hunters. 10/10 would slaughter again.

Never been a problem for me so I'm not bothered.

It never bothered me in the slightest, I found more enjoyment in yelling at the TV because I kept dying too much throughout the game.

I can't really tell what frame pacing is and haven't noticed it, so I'll continue in blissful ignorance and enjoy the game anyway.

I've played the game for 50 hours, got the platinum, and never noticed it.

I don't even know wtf this is. Maybe it's better I don't know.

Anyways, excited for Tuesday.

I don't even know what frame pacing is and I don't want to. Not a big deal to me at all.

Didn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all.

I'm with you guys. It never affected me so I don't care. Sucks for people who notice it and suffer because of it.

jjonez18

I guess I would notice it if I were exposed to better frame pacing. The only problem I've noticed is some framerate drops between areas. Probably just one of those rare cases where ignorance is bliss.

Jabba

Banned
My character stutters when pushing the analog stick walking forward. Only game that does it. This happen to anyone else?

Soriku

I won't continue to support devs that either don't give a shit or can't fix their issues. Have fun pretending there aren't plenty of other games out there.

Lmao every game has its issues. I take it you don't play many games? Bloodborne is still great.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's not incredibly important though. Its a 30fps action game where moves are easily telegraphed before they happen. There plenty of time to react.
Yes it is incredibly important, the enemies are more aggressive than any other FS game. Just the sheer fact that it's a modern day FS game built off of the engine behind souls means that input lag and framepacing/framerate issues need to be minimal. Even more so since this game is much faster paced.

That is the shittiest CA I've ever seen. It doesn't even add a camera lens feel.
There's a reason why it's removed in the marketing screens.

SeanTSC

Frame Pacing bothers me a fair bit. I don't know how someone couldn't notice it and it has affected my enjoyment of the game. Bloodborne is a great game in spite of it and it's okay for a game to be great and have glaring flaws.

Like, it's still easily a 9+ and my GOTY so far, but I think the game would be much closer to a 10/10 without the Frame Pacing issue and it is a substantial issue. It screws up the flow of combat and makes things seem like there's more frame drops than there actually are. If Frame Pacing was fixed I'd probably give it a 9.9 and then 10 if there wasn't a trophy locked behind the god awful Chalice Dungeons or if Chalice Dungeons just plain weren't in the game.

So yep to the title. It sucks that it will never be fixed.

Hoje0308

Banned
Lmao every game has its issues. I take it you don't play many games? Bloodborne is still great.

I play about 20-30 a year, depending on how many of them are time consuming RPGs and the like. Nice try though.

it's a character trait, not a technical issue

Personality creates atmosphere, atmosphere allows me to be more immersed. Load times give me time to reflect on what I've learned.

I really don't understand why people take this so seriously. It's an amazing game and has been an amazing game since March 17. Get off your high horses.

CHC

It is notiecable and it is annoying, but you get used to it after about 20 minutes of playing. Obviously I'd prefer it not be there, but anyone who says they won't buy the DLC or Dark Souls III because of it is really depriving themselves.

The chromatic aberration is also garbage. What's especially annoying is that they show promo shots of Old Hunters and it has no CA, and then they're going to hide those beautiful graphics under that shitty effect. If they could just add ONE simple toggle for it, that'd be great. It's a cheap trendy effect that doesn't fit the mood of the game, nor does it even look good aesthetically.

dEvAnGeL

good thing i sold my copy on target with the double trade in credit, i had a feeling this was gonna happen since the dark souls 3 beta had the exact same problem so this is an issue with the programmers at FROM, i started a similar thread a while back having hope that this was gonna get fixed at some point, shame really, for those of you that this isnt a problem consider yourselves blessed, noticing frame pacing problems in a game is worst then playing a game with frame drops

my old thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1103205&highlight=

I play about 20-30 a year, depending on how many of them are time consuming RPGs and the like. Nice try though.

Personality creates atmosphere, atmosphere allows me to be more immersed. Load times give me time to reflect on what I've learned.

i was angry when from put in the loading screen tips on bloodborne. i preferred the screen that was just the logo. let me know i was truly bloodborne...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Frame Pacing bothers me a fair bit. I don't know how someone couldn't notice it and it has affected my enjoyment of the game. Bloodborne is a great game in spite of it and it's okay for a game to be great and have glaring flaws.

I just played through Bloodborne this month and didn't notice anything bothersome. Maybe my plebeian exposed brain is just used to shitty performance, though :(

I notice it easily, but it hasn't impacted my enjoyment in any meaningful way. It'd be great if they fixed it, but I won't cry or stop playing the game if it isn't.

Hoje0308

Banned
I really don't understand why people take this so seriously. It's an amazing game and has been an amazing game since March 17. Get off your high horses.

So if a game drops to 15 fps, the people that complain are on a high horse? Because that's the effect the frame pacing in Bloodborne can give, when it's at its worst. If performance isn't important to you, fine, but acting as if anyone that doesn't share your opinion is getting uppity is ridiculous.

Jabba

Banned
good thing i sold my copy on target with the double trade in credit, i had a feeling this was gonna happen since the dark souls 3 beta had the exact same problem so this is an issue with the programmers at FROM, i started a similar thread a while back having hope that this was gonna get fixed at some point, shame really, for those of you that this isnt a problem consider yourselves blessed, noticing frame pacing problems in a game is worst then playing a game with frame drops

my old thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1103205&highlight=

Too bad, no one brings it up in some of the recent interviews of Myazaki.

Top Bottom