• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne's Frame Pacing still isn't fixed, it never will be, and that sucks

I don't get it - this is just normal frame drops. When it takes too long to render a frame, then you see the previous frame for a longer period of time (it draws the previous screen for more than one frame). Frame drops are never going to be perfectly smooth, though they'll be vastly improved with G-sync-like tech.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So if a game drops to 15 fps, the people that complain are on a high horse? Because that's the effect the frame pacing in Bloodborne can give, when it's at its worst. If performance isn't important to you, fine, but acting as if anyone that doesn't share your opinion is getting uppity is ridiculous.

When does BB feel like 15fps?

Breads

Banned
I really don't understand why people take this so seriously. It's an amazing game and has been an amazing game since March 17. Get off your high horses.

Much like CA and Framerate it's not an act of snobbishness. Frame Pacing can literally have an adverse effect on your experience like straining your eyes, giving you a headache, and motion sickness.

If it doesn't effect you then be glad. Just know that there are people out there that it does effect.

leroidys

How do people not notice this? I'm usually fine with anything locked at 25 fps +, but the frame pacing issues are JARRING in this game. It's actually made me physically sick during long play sessions.

Hoje0308

Banned
When does BB feel like 15fps?

When the frame time jumps to twice what it should be. Example: Old Yharnam

How do people not notice this? I'm usually fine with anything locked at 25 fps +, but the frame pacing issues are JARRING in this game. It's actually made me physically sick during long play sessions.

This. I'm not acting like I didn't enjoy the hell out of the game, because I did. In fact, it's my number two so far, only barely beaten by TW3 (a game with its own share of issues). You can like a game and still admit that it has problems and not everyone pointing out those issues is a hater. Far from it, as I know many people in this thread do in fact really like the game and only want these issues fixed so that a great game can be even better.

Wabba

Never once even notices it. Bad for people that is sensetive to frame pacing. Finished the game and the only problem i ever encountered was the stuttering and sound bug in Forbidden Forrest. Dont know if that is fixed today, but i think so?

SeanTSC

I just played through Bloodborne this month and didn't notice anything bothersome. Maybe my plebeian exposed brain is just used to shitty performance, though :(

I don't think anyone has a plebeian brain if they haven't noticed it. But I definitely think that it's one of those CAN'T BE UNSEEN things once you do notice it and then you never, ever stop noticing it and then you wonder how people don't. Like, once it's there and you can't stop seeing it you just get really baffled that someone hasn't, because your brain can't turn it off.

Just like with getting better and better speakers or higher quality TV equipment you can't stop noticing lesser stuff after you see good stuff. Ever since going from a cheap LCD to a high end Plasma I notice bad black levels and color accuracy on every single display I ever look at now, even in Theaters.

Sure it's a shame that it's not something that's been fixed and it's lame that the game doesn't run perfectly, but are you really going to say it's effecting your performance in combat? There's nothing so precise in any souls game that a couple frames is going to make or break.

I'm sure a lot of people notice it, it just doesn't bother them much—if at all. I can easily transition from gaming on my PC at 60 FPS with pristine IQ to Bloodborne, for example. Everyone's tolerances are different, so I'm always respectful when someone says it genuinely bothers them.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I don't think anyone has a plebeian brain if they haven't noticed it. But I definitely think that it's one of those CAN'T BE UNSEEN things once you do notice it and then you never, ever stop noticing it and then you wonder how people don't. Like, once it's there and you can't stop seeing it you just get really baffled that someone hasn't, because your brain can't turn it off.

Just like with getting better and better speakers or higher quality TV equipment you can't stop noticing lesser stuff after you see good stuff. Ever since going from a cheap LCD to a high end Plasma I notice bad black levels and color accuracy on every single display I ever look at now, even in Theaters.

This is true if you're talking about looping a video clip, pointing out some technical error, and then having the person watch out for it. There's clearly a discrepancy in what people will or won't naturally notice over the course of playing a game though.

You have people in here saying they noticed nothing during their game time and others saying they feel physically ill because of it.

Giever

Thankfully I don't seem to notice it very well and am not particularly bothered by it, but I'm sympathetic towards those who do and are. It's bullshit that From won't fix it, and they shouldn't get a pass just because their games are great and they're the only ones making them. It ought to be fixable, and they ought to be pressured into fixing it.

Fitts

I never noticed a framerate issue (beyond the hitches in Old Yharnham) and was never distracted by the chromatic aberration.

Wagram

When the frame time jumps to twice what it should be. Example: Old Yharnam

You're using an extreme example though. That happens extremely rarely, and outside of Old Yharnam near the two fires I can't recall even a handful of situations where it's been that low.

I have not noticed whatever this issue is supposed to be at all. Guess I'm one of the lucky (unlucky?) ones who can look past technical mumbo jumbo like this.

SeanTSC

I don't get it - this is just normal frame drops. When it takes too long to render a frame, then you see the previous frame for a longer period of time (it draws the previous screen for more than one frame). Frame drops are never going to be perfectly smooth, though they'll be vastly improved with G-sync-like tech.

It is absolutely not "normal frame drops." Bloodborne does have some of those, but it also definitively has Frame Pacing problems. IIRC there's a Digital Foundry article on it and some other ones too.

I'm sure a lot of people notice it, it just doesn't bother them much—if at all. I can easily transition from gaming on my PC at 60 FPS with pristine IQ to Bloodborne, for example. Everyone's tolerances are different, so I'm always respectful when someone says it genuinely bothers them.

This as well. I don't have trouble jumping from 30 to 60 fps. So I probably don't issues with frame pacing or dropped frames. I can just handle it / deal with it.

For a game where controller response is incredibly important the performance never being fixed is ridiculous. The terrible chromatic aberration too ruins a great art style.

There is no need for single frame response in this game and chromatic aberration is subjective.

Aren't you the one who excuses actual huge issues in Assassin's Creed? If so wow is this funny. :D

LaneDS

This. I'm not acting like I didn't enjoy the hell out of the game, because I did. In fact, it's my number two so far, only barely beaten by TW3 (a game with its own share of issues). You can like a game and still admit that it has problems and not everyone pointing out those issues is a hater. Far from it, as I know many people in this thread do in fact really like the game and only want these issues fixed so that a great game can be even better.

Folks are reacting to you proclaiming that you won't buy the DLC or DS3 because you don't support devs who don't support their game, but clearly we've had multiple patches for Bloodborne where they very much do support their game. They haven't fixed this issue, but they've fixed lots of issues (like the terrible loading). You mentioned TW3, and that game is also great and also improved by a bunch of patches, but it sure as shit isn't a locked 30FPS on PS4 either.

Like, hey, I'm all for wanting every game to be the best game it can be, but it's silly to act like From doesn't try and support their games. They're not technical masterpieces but they definitely put in a lot of work, post-launch, to every Souls game yet released.

Portugeezer

It does suck, albeit it didn't particular bother me. But what is strange is that I always figured things like frame pacing would be relatively easy to fix, so maybe I am wrong or FROM just don't see it as a big problem.

Either way, GOTY has frame pacing issues.

Lt.Chips

Isn't chromatic aberration an additional visual effect like film grain filters? If so, why on earth isn't there an option to turn it off, FROM?

Mman235

I haven't really noticed it on a visual level but could this be related to why I occasionally have weird move buffering that seems to happen way earlier than it should? I had the same issue in the console versions of Dark Souls 1 and 2 (but not in DS1 PC, and presumably I wouldn't on SOTFS PC), but I just wrote it off as a general bad framerate thing, but maybe the occasionally inconsistent inputs are more to do with this?

MilkBeard

I feel sorry for the people bluntly claiming "no Problem"..its an issue with the game that is affecting many and if fixed will render a smoother experience.

Its 2015 .....how incompetent are the developers that they are not listening to the community.

FYI, the same issue was in Destiny Beta on PS4 which was quickly fixed.
Why bother feeling sorry for people who dont even really notice or care? They are happy.

GorillaJu

Too bad, no one brings it up in some of the recent interviews of Myazaki.
Why should they? He's a creator. Ask him questions to learn more about the man and the process behind his art. Interviews aren't the time to grill him indignantly on gamer forum complaints and technical grievances.

AEREC

I hate framerate issues and I feel like I'm pretty sensitive to them, it drives me nuts if Fallout 3 or Witcher 3 drops below 60FPS on my PC. But Bloodborne feels perfectly playable to me.

It did take some getting used to when I first started playing BB, coming off of MGSV, but it feels fine to me now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Eh I platinumed the game and gave no fucks.

Nice if it was fixed, but in no way did it hinder doing absolutely everything the game had to offer.

It is absolutely not "normal frame drops." Bloodborne does have some of those, but it also definitively has Frame Pacing problems. IIRC there's a Digital Foundry article on it and some other ones too.

Well, the way "frame pacing" was described in the thread referenced by the OP, it's just normal slowdown, not any weird "frame pacing" - if frame 2 has no rendering problems but it takes two screen-refreshes to display frame 3 because frame 3 is taking too long due to rendering too many things, then that would give the erratic frame rate like described. Note that an actual "frame pacing" problem is a problem syncing two GPUs each rendering alternate frames.

Hoje0308

Banned
Folks are reacting to you proclaiming that you won't buy the DLC or DS3 because you don't support devs who don't support their game, but clearly we've had multiple patches for Bloodborne where they very much do support their game. They haven't fixed this issue, but they've fixed lots of issues (like the terrible loading). You mentioned TW3, and that game is also great and also improved by a bunch of patches, but it sure as shit isn't a locked 30FPS on PS4 either.

Like, hey, I'm all for wanting every game to be the best game it can be, but it's silly to act like From doesn't try and support their games. They're not technical masterpieces but they definitely put in a lot of work, post-launch, to every Souls game yet released.

I said I won't support a dev that can't or won't fix their shit. In that context, I was referring to the frame pacing, which they are either unwilling or unable to fix, and it's arguably the biggest flaw the game has. TW3 had hard drops to 20 fps, and that sucked, but at least you could, for the most part, avoid those if you knew what triggered the problem. But, I said the same thing about the Witcher and made no plans to purchase the DLC until the last patch ironed out most of the big issues. If we were in November 2014, I might be a little more desperate and thus understanding, but with a backlog already growing and more games on the way, I feel like I have better ways to spend my time and money.

You're using an extreme example though. That happens extremely rarely, and outside of Old Yharnam near the two fires I can't recall even a handful of situations where it's been that low.
True, but that really shouldn't happen at all. The rest of the game it's an issue that's easy to ignore once you've gotten lost in the atmosphere and tension, but it shouldn't be on the player to do so.

Edit: Tagging myself out.

In the anti CA camp. Laugh all you want about Lords of the fallen-they added an option to get rid of the CA with little impact on performance. It's a horrid effect IMO and needs to be tamed.

Frame Pacing has me worried for DS3-I don't understand why it has not been addressed. I pray the PC release running at a better framerate can at least mask the issue.

lifa-cobex

As most have said, From make fantastic games so you kinda just let it slide.

However just recently going through DS again on with 60fps and then jumping back to Bloodborn feels like a world of difference.

I'm happy with even going with a locked 30FPS but the sudden drops feel awwwwful and really jarring.
Kinda gutted that Bloodborn wont be on PC as the mod for DS is fantastic.

But From really do need to sort this out.
Especially as it's a game that focuses on good timing through the combat.

The only time I notice it is when I go from Dark Souls Scholar back to Bloodborne, getting used to 60fps back to 30fps is somewhat jarring. The frame pacing is an issue then but 15 minutes of playing you kinda just get used to it since generally you are more concerned on not getting killed.

ScribbleD

I understand the technical explanation of Bloodborne's frame pacing problems, but I'm having an issue understanding how that manifests in game.

I remember there are those rare hitches where the frame rate dips really dramatically for a moment and the sound freaks out (like near the beginning of Old Yharnam, I think before Djura starts firing at you). Is that what people are referring to as a frame pacing issue? Because if so, I don't see the major issue as I can only recall a couple of very specific spots throughout the entire game where that happened, and I don't remember that ever happening in combat. So set me straight, is that the frame pacing issue people are discussing, or does it manifest in some other way?

tesqui

The only time I ever care if my framerate is shit, is when it's my PC. Then it's no longer a problem with the game, but a problem with my hardware. With a console game I know it's out of my hands, so it doesn't bother me.

Persona7

Banned
Why should there be? The CA is part of the games art direction.

Tons of pre-release content and promotional screenshots don't have this. I don't know if any early builds shown off to the public have it. I have been trying to figure out if this was added at the last minute or if it was actually part of the art direction from the start.

I understand the technical explanation of Bloodborne's frame pacing problems, but I'm having an issue understanding how that manifests in game.

I remember there are those rare hitches where the frame rate dips really dramatically for a moment and the sound freaks out (like near the beginning of Old Yharnam, I think before Djura starts firing at you). Is that what people are referring to as a frame pacing issue? Because if so, I don't see the major issue as I can only recall a couple of very specific spots throughout the entire game where that happened, and I don't remember that ever happening in combat. So set me straight, is that the frame pacing issue people are discussing, or does it manifest in some other way?

No. The frame pacing issue is the constant stream of stuttering and frame skipping that occurs in the game.
Tons of pre-release content and promotional screenshots don't have this. I don't know if any early builds shown off to the public have it.
There are none.

I'm a card carrying PC master racist and I demand 60fps or bust from every PC game I own, and have no problems whatsoever with Bloodborne. In fact I have no idea what the hell OP is even talking about

I didn't even know this was a thing while playing. Finished the game without any problems. Load times were the issue for me. Nothing having to do with frames.

I'm a card carrying PC master racist and I demand 60fps or bust from every PC game I own, and have no problems whatsoever with Bloodborne. In fact I have no idea what the hell OP is even talking about

Bad link.

Frame pacing is essentially when a frame is skipped.

In a 30 fps game, the frames displayed should be:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8...

In a game with poor frame pacing, the frames could be displayed as:
1 2 3 3 5 6 6 6 9...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There is no need for single frame response in this game and chromatic aberration is subjective.

Aren't you the one who excuses actual huge issues in Assassin's Creed? If so wow is this funny. :D
A)Input lag of any kind is bad for these of games and just to reiterate, ---->the marketing team purposefully leaves out the CA<---That's not an accident.
B)At least Ubi have released several patches for performance in their games and have improved their engine for their latest release
C)This topic isn't about AC.

Funny enough the game's framerate at release was better than the other FS games, but the issue in this thread makes it feel and look relatively bad during general play.

Top Bottom