• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BOMBA/rumour] XBone's new price cut for EU incoming? AmazonITA: X1+Kinect=€399

Mikey Jr.

Thats right, keep dropping.....

Wonder what we are going to see for the holiday. $399 with Kinect, TF and maybe MCC?

EGM1966

It offers nothing? The exclusive games don't count? Ease of use?

Sony just finally started making a small profit in their game division. Dropping $100 off the price would cut $100 Million in revenue for every million consoles sold. They could do it but they would go back to losing money.
That's too simplistic a view on price. In Europe it's obvious Sony would only need small counters hence his comment on a game of chicken.

The PS4 is clearly more elastic to price changes than XBOX in Europe and that means Sony doesn't even need to match any MS price drops to achieve the same result - just a small drop in PS4 price would cause a much bigger spike in demand for PS4 than a bigger price cut would for XB1 (probably).

In Europe right now too much price cutting could easily backfire on MS and leave them with a bigger gap than before if Sony was pushed to cutting price.

Best bet for MS is to try for a slow creep forwards with small price cuts that Sony ignores so long as PS4 isn't touched.

Realistically MS isn't in a position for quick fixes in Europe - might seem harsh but that's the reality. If they do try and rush they'll probably do more harm than good and blow lots of money for no gain into the bargin.

Europe is already Sony's for the moment so far as sales and social trends show : it's about the slow recovery for MS here.

US and maybe UK are only two markets they could look to catch up in with any pace and at this point I reckon only the US to be honest. Even in UK they're a fair bit back in terms of pure demand.

They've got a slow trudge ahead of 'em just like Sony and the sooner people stop thinking there's quick fixes and it's all sorted in time for the Holidays the better.

You don't recover from the size of the gap in Europe with a quick price cut : it's just not how market dynamics work. Being cheaper doesn't suddenly make the less popular device theore popular device with so many other factors involved.

All Xbox exclusives dont mean much? They offer nothing of value to Europe? Oh boy. HDMI pass-trough and Suspend and Resume are a consideration. Speed of response is important. As is ease of use. The couple minutes it takes to boot a console and load a save game should be a thing of the past.

What is my line of reasoning? That Sony wants to make a profit? Seems reasonable.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying Halo and Gears, MS big exclusive lean heavily towards NA (compare that to Sony's big exclusive, GT which is a beast in Europe). Other than those, the rest of MS games don't mean much in Europe as they don't really sell great. It's nothing personal, it's just the way it is. Short of somehow getting a GT like game, there's no reason for someone to pick an X1 over a PS (And again, I'm talking outside the US/NA).

As for the line of reasoning I was talking about, it's the whole Sony are broke so they won't do anything, which completely ignores the fact that, unlike MS, PS is one of their most important businesses (whereas for MS, it represents a blip on their overall company). Sony isn't going to sit on their hands

Lynn616

As for the line of reasoning I was talking about, it's the whole Sony are broke so they won't do anything, which completely ignores the fact that, unlike MS, PS is one of their most important businesses (whereas for MS, it represents a blip on their overall company). Sony isn't going to sit on their hands

That is why I dont think they are going to drop price $100. It is one of the only profit makers right now. They will not want to start losing money in that division again. I dont see the X1 outselling the PS4 even at $299. It would help make it more even but that is it. Why would Sony drop $100 if they are still outselling the X1? I just dont see it.

That is why I dont think they are going to drop price $100. It is one of the only profit makers right now. They will not want to start losing money in that division again. I dont see the X1 outselling the PS4 even at $299. It would help make it more even but that is it. Why would Sony drop $100 if they are still outselling the X1? I just dont see it.

Of course, in my hypothetical scenerio the $100 price cut actually helps the X1 which would lead to Sony reacting. If, as you said, the price cut did nothing (or not much) then yea, they'd have no reason to react.

PCXB1FTW

Banned
-MD said:
You're veering off into some random discussion about friends lists and girlfriends.

Sorry, You don't get to dismiss my point as random because its damaging to your argument. Its not random to bring up friends lists at all. You make the point that a PC gamer wouldn't pick up a game on xb1 because its available on PC. First, that's a ridiculous generalization as you don't speak for all PC gamers. Second, I'm willing to wager I'm not the only gamer who passed on Titanfall on PC and superior mouse and keyboard control in order to play with friends. I'm not sure why you think that's not something that motivates people to buy, you have them right? The only thing random was your comment on it having no games.

-MD said:
all I'm saying is most of the games

Since when is 2 of 6 "most"? lol.

-MD said:
I don't see PC guys (or a lot of people in general) rushing out to drop 500 bucks to play Killer Instinct and Forza.

1. nobody is paying 500 dollars for any XB1 anywhere unless they are going out of their way to do so, if you're going to bring price into the argument, please use a realistic number.

2. I guess you think all those KI fans that got it added to EVO so fast have no PCs among them. Interesting.

-MD said:
MCC, Sunset and QB aren't even released yet

True enough, but not relevant. Please refrain from further random trolling comments about no games, backed with the argument that the games are also on pc (as are many PS games).

Yoda

I'm not sure if simply dropping the price will work in the EU. They risk distorting the value of the console with a flat out drop like this and I'd be willing to bet that had their TV capabilities not all been tailored to the US it may have seen a slightly better reception. I do think a US price-drop (not just an un-bundling) would help substantially for the holidays.

Top Bottom