• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston police close river, bridges in possible college hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

Phoenix said:
I guess they didn't figure the company they hired wouldn't be so stupid as to not do what their job required.

No, Time Warner knew exactly what they were getting when they hired these guys to create these ads outside of the world of billboards and taxi cab doors. That's why they will most likely contribute to their defense.

The argument that it was these guys' flaunting of the law that caused this panic is absurd. Like many people have mentioned there's crap like this all over every city in the country. Every day people dump garbage, old furniture and trash (which I might add could conceal a bomb) all over major American cities. These incidents do not cause panics. Neither should something like a flashing neon cartoon character.

Taichu

Where were you when the Mooninites invaded Boston?

I had come to my dorm room after studying in the library and turned on the TV. After seeing a news broadcast, I rushed to NeoGAF for more hilarity.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
moku said:
I love it, and I condone this, but furthermore, I want them to put a MASSIVE billboard up in Boston making fun of city officials, and the police department.

This is the only acceptable response! :lol

"It's almost too easy to be a terrorist these days," said Jennifer Mason, 26. "You stick a box on a corner and you can shut down a city."

And then, the ensuing media circus teaches you all about goddamn hair! Truly the terrorists have won. :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
jackass reporter: "Could you try taking this seriously?"

sean: "The '60s sorta... We're taking this very seriously"

peter: "Yeah, please don't interrupt us"

sean: "The '60s sort of had thei... the mod hair style which I believe umm evolved into the sort of greaseback look of the '70s, but Peter what you're saying is that you think it came more from the '20s?"

peter: "Yeah, I think it really came from the '20s."

jackass reporter: "It sounds to us like you aren't taking this seriously. You wanna talk about how you..."

peter: "Well, do you guys have any haircut questions for us?"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I love the differences in people's attitudes.

I read this in the SF Chronicle this morning:

One of the devices was found last week on a sign above a Clement Street art gallery and design store called Park Life. Store owner Jamie Alexander, 37, said the device was 12 inches wide and 15 inches tall, with a blinking, robotic figure displaying a middle finger. It had been attached with magnets.

Alexander said he did not suspect a terrorist plot.

"I thought, 'What the hell is this?' " he said. "I left it up. I thought it was cool."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/01/MNGI8NSQTP1.DTL

In Boston: "OMG WHAT IS THAT CARTOON CHARACTER DOING UP THERE OMG CALL TEH ARMY AND WHATS THE NUMBER FOR T.I.P.S.!!!!!!!@##!"

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
FlyinJ said:
I love the differences in people's attitudes.

I read this in the SF Chronicle this morning:

One of the devices was found last week on a sign above a Clement Street art gallery and design store called Park Life. Store owner Jamie Alexander, 37, said the device was 12 inches wide and 15 inches tall, with a blinking, robotic figure displaying a middle finger. It had been attached with magnets.

Alexander said he did not suspect a terrorist plot.

"I thought, 'What the hell is this?' " he said. "I left it up. I thought it was cool."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/01/MNGI8NSQTP1.DTL

In Boston: "OMG WHAT IS THAT CARTOON CHARACTER DOING UP THERE OMG CALL TEH ARMY AND WHATS THE NUMBER FOR T.I.P.S.!!!!!!!@##!"

:rolleyes

Yes, because people in San Fran are smart, intelligent, and not prone to overreaction while the people of Boston are a bunch of mouth-breathing bottom-feeders.

White Man

Nerevar said:

Yes, because people in San Fran are smart, intelligent, and not prone to overreaction while the people of Boston are a bunch of mouth-breathing bottom-feeders.

exactly

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Nerevar said:

Bingo. Reading comprehension FTW.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Oh man, reading some of the reaction of the rightwing wacko-sphere is so goddamn great:

Crazy Loon @ LGF said:
You know we keep posting about how we want to support the US military to wage an all out full-tilt war with unequivocal results in the Middle East.

What about waging an all out full-tilt war with unequivocal results on the enemy at home?

Why don't we ever discuss that?

:lol We don't discuss that cuz it's not a hair question!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
White Man said:

I love how I only highlighted that fact by using the two adjectives "smart, intelligent" as if they had different meanings.

P.S. I hate you White Man.

GAF Logic: We should shut down 911 call centers. Most of them arent real and theres no point in using resources to investigate bad calls.

In fact, the dispatchers should tell the 9 year old kid calling not to play with the phone, regardless if his mother is dieing feet away.

Since we all know that overreacting is worse than reacting at all.

Bonus news that should shut half this thread up:

"Two fake pipe bombs found not part of marketing stunt
By Michele McPhee and Laura Crimaldi
Thursday, February 1, 2007 - Updated: 01:42 AM EST

The two devices found in an office at Tufts-New England Medical Center and attached to the Longfellow Bridge yesterday morning were not the marketing devices that sparked a daylong panic in Boston, but simulated pipe bombs, police officials said last night.

“There were two conventional pipe bombs that were found at the same time that this started to unfold,” said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.
The pipe bomb-like devices were reported at both locations just after 1 p.m. and are unrelated to the advertising scheme for Cartoon Network’s “Aqua Teen Hunger Force,” police officials said.
In the hospital incident, investigators believe a former hospital employee planted the phony bomb in an office at 185 Harrison Ave. He has been identified but has not been charged, the sources said.
Boston Police bomb squad cops detonated the pipe bomb, which was a very realistic-looking fake, the sources said.
The incident prompted a brief evacuation of some administrative offices at the hospital, said spokeswoman Catherine Bromberg.
“The area is being treated as a crime scene,” she said.
The simulated pipe bomb discovered on the Longfellow Bridge briefly suspended Red Line MBTA service between Kendall Square and Park Street at about 2 p.m., said spokesman Joe Pesaturo. Traffic on the bridge was limited to one lane in both directions during that same period, state police said.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=180349

I dont know if theres enough crow to go around this thread

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jamesinclair said:

because of a fake pipe bomb?

oh sorry, did not understand what I read. But why would anyone eat crow over this?

Phoenix

White Man said:
I don't believe they've actually been charged yet, have they (haven't read anything this afternoon)? But the authorities in Boston have made it very clear that they intend to treat this as a Homeland Security Hoax. As for their business insurance? What the heck does that have to do with them? Wow, Big Corporations have different concerns than individual people! Whoda thunk it?

I'm concerned about the 2 people arrested for this, not TW's business troubles due to this, which are minor compared to innocents potentially going to fed.

THESE GUYS ARE A BUSINESS!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm kind of confused now... is Aquateen Hunger Force considered activist left wing liberal press now?

White Man

jamesinclair said:
GAF Logic: We should shut down 911 call centers. Most of them arent real and theres no point in using resources to investigate bad calls.

In fact, the dispatchers should tell the 9 year old kid calling not to play with the phone, regardless if his mother is dieing feet away.

The two devices found in an office at Tufts-New England Medical Center and attached to the Longfellow Bridge yesterday morning were not the marketing devices that sparked a daylong panic in Boston, but simulated pipe bombs, police officials said last night.

“There were two conventional pipe bombs that were found at the same time that this started to unfold,” said Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis.
The pipe bomb-like devices were reported at both locations just after 1 p.m. and are unrelated to the advertising scheme for Cartoon Network’s “Aqua Teen Hunger Force,” police officials said.
In the hospital incident, investigators believe a former hospital employee planted the phony bomb in an office at 185 Harrison Ave. He has been identified but has not been charged, the sources said.
Boston Police bomb squad cops detonated the pipe bomb, which was a very realistic-looking fake, the sources said.
The incident prompted a brief evacuation of some administrative offices at the hospital, said spokeswoman Catherine Bromberg.
The simulated pipe bomb discovered on the Longfellow Bridge briefly suspended Red Line MBTA service between Kendall Square and Park Street at about 2 p.m., said spokesman Joe Pesaturo. Traffic on the bridge was limited to one lane in both directions during that same period, state police said.

Fake pipe bombs. Wow, that justifies EVERYTHING! Not to mention they were probably just pieces of PVC tubing that they labeled as "convincing fakes" to try to save some face.

Nerevar said:
I love how I only highlighted that fact by using the two adjectives "smart, intelligent" as if they had different meanings.

P.S. I hate you White Man.

:(

Phoenix said:
THESE GUYS ARE A BUSINESS!

They are? I don't see that said in any of the news stories I've read. I'm under the impression they were just folks hired by the ad agency.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
FlyinJ said:
I'm kind of confused now... is Aquateen Hunger Force considered activist left wing liberal press now?

Hmm. Let's take a random sampling:

Another wacko @ LGF said:
I don't know, maybe being a right wing fanatic has just sort of short fused my tolerance for arrogance and general stupidity, but I'm of the opinion that EVERYONE involved in this stunt should be summarily executed. Put up against a wall and shot. EXCEPT for the dreadlocks shit for brains...HE needs to be wire brushed to death, along with his partner.

I guess so. :lol

bob_arctor said:
I missed this whole thread until now. Why are they eating crow exactly?

"OMG everyone overreacted over some little lights lolz, why doesnt the bomb squad know what a bomb looks like?"

Theres the reason why. Two fake bombs were found.

levious

jamesinclair said:
"OMG everyone overreacted over some little lights lolz, why doesnt the bomb squad know what a bomb looks like?"

Theres the reason why. Two fake bombs were found.

but the article says that the fake bombs were not related to the "daylong panic" in Boston?

levious said:
but the article says that the fake bombs were not related to the "daylong panic" in Boston?

The article says they werent marketing, but they were part of the day. In fact, the timing shows theyr eally started the whole thing.

First lite brite: 10am.

The nothing until 1pm when they started up again. Bu Bridge was a lite brite, but these other two werent. There was a 5th before 3pm, but I dont remember where. Thats where the confusion came from

levious

ah, if that's true, interesting, but I dont' think the article is saying that. I get the impression that it's saying, "oh yeah, there were also these fake pipe bombs."

It says unrelated to the marketing devices that caused the daylong panic. And the bomb squad did actually detonate a lite-brite, yes?

levious said:
ah, if that's true, interesting, but I dont' think the article is saying that. I get the impression that it's saying, "oh yeah, there were also these fake pipe bombs."

It says unrelated to the marketing devices that caused the daylong panic. And the bomb squad did actually detonate a lite-brite, yes?

Yes they did, with water, that was the 10am one.

They were mentioned during the live news (I was watching live) but I assumed it was just some reporter being confused. They talked about a bag stuffed with objects found under the bridge.

White Man

I've just been reading the more recent stories, and I find nothing that backs up Phoenix's claim that these two guys were part of a business. They were two art dudes, part of a collective that does art with electronics, hired by an ad agency. If anything, they could be considered contractors.

ABCnews said:
"Peter's a poor artist and he does jobs like this for money and Sean…is primarily an artist as well," Hoo said. "This was considered an art project. Peter and Sean are both video artists and community-oriented artists at that."

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Jesus, I can't believe people are actually angrily arguing with eachother over this ridiculous story. What a sorry ****ing state our country is in these days.

The terrorists have won, and ironically the right wing fear mongers were their most cunning soldiers. Good job, guys!

Trakdown

jamesinclair said:

Way to completely miss the ****ing point. I understand that they have to investigate all devices that are "suspicious". My problem with this is that this is National News, and that these people have become so damn paranoid that now, everything is a bomb. It's the panic we have a problem with. Plus, the article you quoted already says that the incidents are unrelated. Then again, if people like you can automatically connect simulated pipe bombs(I.E. they look like bombs) w/lite brite style boards(which don't) , then it's no wonder Boston thinks the sky is falling.

And speaking of overreacting, what the **** logical disconnect did you make to think GAF is saying "OMG EMERGENCY SERVICES FTL LOL"? There are many other cities that have this promotion going on and they didn't even flinch. And now, because Boston authorities did overreact, they're now seeking to prosecute two people for something that is, without a shadow of a doubt, unrelated to terrorism? Is it getting through your head that two people who had no intent other than doing their job will be tried as having terrorist intent? City authorities should be the ones knocked on for inciting panic, you mean to tell me they can't do bomb disposal quietly? They have to have it broadcast all over the NATION??!! There are ways to do this quietly, they ****ed up. Nowhere in there is there a suggestion that 911 should be shut down.

Trakdown said:
Way to completely miss the ****ing point. I understand that they have to investigate all devices that are "suspicious". My problem with this is that this is National News, and that these people have become so damn paranoid that now, everything is a bomb. It's the panic we have a problem with. Plus, the article you quoted already says that the incidents are unrelated. Then again, if people like you can automatically connect simulated pipe bombs(I.E. they look like bombs) w/lite brite style boards(which don't) , then it's no wonder Boston thinks the sky is falling.

And speaking of overreacting, what the **** logical disconnect did you make to think GAF is saying "OMG EMERGENCY SERVICES FTL LOL"? There are many other cities that have this promotion going on and they didn't even flinch. And now, because Boston authorities did overreact, they're now seeking to prosecute two people for something that is, without a shadow of a doubt, unrelated to terrorism? Is it getting through your head that two people who had no intent other than doing their job will be tried as having terrorist intent? City authorities should be the ones knocked on for inciting panic, you mean to tell me they can't do bomb disposal quietly? They have to have it broadcast all over the NATION??!! There are ways to do this quietly, they ****ed up. Nowhere in there is there a suggestion that 911 should be shut down.

Once again: UNRELATED to TURNER but 100% related to the police response.

Go back to earlier in the thread with the map showing where the police were.

Actually, Ill just post it here

thebridge3.jpg

This was at 3pm.

Note two of the locations were the pipe ones.

And I NEVER said they should prosectute the two guys. They should go after Turner, not some guy that was paid to put up lite brites, assuming that Turners HUGE law department would have cleared it with the city.

And at no point did the city incite panic. Note the thread title? From early on it was known to be a hoax. Its not the cities fault that CNN picked up the story

How do you suggest you quietly shut down a bridge and subway line?

Phoenix

White Man said:
I've just been reading the more recent stories, and I find nothing that backs up Phoenix's claim that these two guys were part of a business. They were two art dudes, part of a collective that does art with electronics, hired by an ad agency. If anything, they could be considered contractors.

I'm not sure if you're in the United States, but contractors in the US ARE businesses.

White Man

Phoenix said:
I'm not sure if you're in the United States, but contractors in the US ARE businesses.

Even if they are considered businesses, they're still in the clear if the people contracting them didn't give them a good idea of where it was okay to put the things up, and where it wasn't. (and for the record, I'm not even sure if "contractor" is the correct term for whatever they were hired to do. I pulled that one out myself).

Also, the ad firm behind this campaign (allegedly) contacted the suspects and told them to keep quiet earlier in the day, as it was playing out:

According to Hoo and Vautour, the New York-based guerilla marketing firm, Interference Inc., which was running the advertising campaign in Boston; New York; Los Angeles; Chicago; Atlanta; Seattle; Portland, Ore.; Austin, Texas; San Francisco; and Philadelphia, asked Berdovsky to keep his involvement quiet as the event was playing out.

"We received an e-mail in the early afternoon from Peter that asked the community that he's a part of to keep any information we had on the down low and that was instructed to him by whoever his boss was in this advertising campaign gone wrong," Vautour said. "I don't know if it was for security reasons or it was to buy them some time or to buy Peter some time."

Not saying anything with this, I just thought it was an interesting piece of news.

Dude, he was flamebaiting. You shouldn't have even bothered.

Are you talking about me? If you are, show me one place (after this turned into seriousy discussion) where I was flamebaiting.

Phoenix

White Man said:
Even if they are considered businesses, they're still in the clear if the people contracting them didn't give them a good idea of where it was okay to put the things up, and where it wasn't. (and for the record, I'm not even sure if "contractor" is the correct term for whatever they were hired to do. I pulled that one out myself).

No - they aren't. Just because your employer says "hey I have 50 things for you to put in the city" that still doesn't mean you can just start putting them wherever your want. In the end it comes down to whomever put the items in those locations. They put them they, they are responsible for them being there. I don't submit that the accused are the ones who put them there - but currently that is the way the wind is blowing. Stupidity is never an accepted defence in the courts. "Well you didn't tell me I shouldn't put the flyers over that traffic light or on private property or tresspass to put them somewhere" is not a defense.

Responsibility lies with the individual, but for the past few days n GAF I have learned that we no longer value responsibility (I need to do something)... just accountability (you should have done something).

The ONLY way in which anyone else has any responsibility is if they directed the "placers" to put those items in those particular locations. If the marketing firm (the former listed 'contracted') told these guys to put them there - they are at fault as well.

Those of you who think that Turner or Time Warner is at fault - you live in a fantasy world and life is going to remain tough for you until you join the real world.

Mooreberg

Nerevar said:
jesus the amount of bitching about Bostonians in this thread is almost as retarded as Menino himself. Yes, it's great that the city you live in didn't have this happen - it took 3 weeks for 1 person to flip out in Boston. I can understand the farmboys from New Hampshire getting their shots in, but christ, grow the **** up people.

I find it funny because nationally people seem to cheer for Mass. politicians when they're really a bunch of douchebags. You have to live here to appreciate how much of a joke the big dig is, Menino's incoherent ramblings, Kennedy's alcoholic ex-wife fighting her kids over real estate, Skakel getting away with golf clubbing a girl for decades, the brother of a wanted mobster being the president of a public university, etc. etc. etc. I don't think a lot of people cheering on Barney Frank's youtube video realize the guy is a pederast, but oh well.

From the fake pipe bomb story it almost sounds like somebody knew what these clowns were up to and pulled a far more serious prank in order to get them in trouble (all of the reports about suspicious blue light devices come in so close together after three weeks of nobody noticing?)

This is just one story that highlights the insane stupidity of elected officials in this state.

Kuroyume

Banned
"GAF Logic" and suggesting that posters here should eat crow? That comes off as condescending dude. If you're going to make a point, why don't you try doing it without implying that the posters here are morons.

White Man

Phoenix said:
No - they aren't. Just because your employer says "hey I have 50 things for you to put in the city" that still doesn't mean you can just start putting them wherever your want. In the end it comes down to whomever put the items in those locations. They put them they, they are responsible for them being there. I don't submit that the accused are the ones who put them there - but currently that is the way the wind is blowing. Stupidity is never an accepted defence in the courts. "Well you didn't tell me I shouldn't put the flyers over that traffic light or on private property or tresspass to put them somewhere" is not a defense.

I dunno, I think the ad firm has to share some of the onus if they didn't properly "train" their employees. They were clearly looking to get this done on the cheap, but expecting dudes from an art collective to know the intricacies of zoning, specifically how Boston is zoned, and other placement rules? If they did provide proper training and pointed out where things could be placed, then they're in the clear and these people would be at fault, though.

Responsibility lies with the individual, but for the past few days n GAF I have learned that we no longer value responsibility (I need to do something)... just accountability (you should have done something).

Curious, what has given you this impression?

The ONLY way in which anyone else has any responsibility is if they directed the "placers" to put those items in those particular locations. If the marketing firm (the former listed 'contracted') told these guys to put them there - they are at fault as well.

I think inadequate education on where these could and could not be placed would make these two innocent.

Those of you who think that Turner or Time Warner is at fault - you live in a fantasy world and life is going to remain tough for you until you join the real world.

I don't think Turner is at fault. I think it would just be nice if they helped out a few pawns that landed themselves in trouble (again, if they were given proper instruction, and thus are at fault, then I can see them not offering help).

I was referring to jamesinclair.

Cooz. Apologies.

Trakdown

jamesinclair said:
Once again: UNRELATED to TURNER but 100% related to the police response.

Go back to earlier in the thread with the map showing where the police were.

Actually, Ill just post it here

thebridge3.jpg

This was at 3pm.

Note two of the locations were the pipe ones.

And I NEVER said they should prosectute the two guys. They should go after Turner, not some guy that was paid to put up lite brites, assuming that Turners HUGE law department would have cleared it with the city.

And at no point did the city incite panic. Note the thread title? From early on it was known to be a hoax. Its not the cities fault that CNN picked up the story

How do you suggest you quietly shut down a bridge and subway line?

"Possible" is not known. And if it was known to be a hoax, the words "department of homeland security" should never have been brought up by Menino's people. Local authorities should've been able to handle it. Plus, I do blame them. A suspicious device is not necessarily an explosive, and they shouldn't have even lead the public down that road when they can't comment on the device for hours on end. If you can't say much, you probably shouldn't say anything until full disclosure is ready. Keep it quiet by saying "This bridge/subway line is currently unavailable due to police activity." That's all it takes.

White Man

Phoenix said:
Ignorance of the law is not a defense in US court.

Good point. But if it came down to it, if the worst things happen and these two face convictions, I can see the possibility of them winning a civil lawsuit for the ad agency failing to provide adequate information (again, of course, assuming that they didn't provide inadequate training).

Flynn

I'm sorry James, but if you mobilize the amount of police that Boston did yesterday in any city in the country you are guaranteed to find just as many "suspicious" devices.

It's a fact of living in a free country. There is suspicious shit all over the place. Send police out with combs and they'll dig up all kinds of crazy shit.

The question isn't that there's stuff out there. There is and there will always be suspicious, dangerous stuff on the streets.

The question we make a production out of every goddamn unexpected item someone kicks their foot on in the street?

I think most reasonable people would answer "no."

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Flynn said:
Mark from Boing Boing speaking for the reasonable among us:

Video at ABC.

What he says about how proud Boston was of it's ability to respond to "terrorist threats", then pointing out that the devices had existed in the city for 2 weeks already, and also in no way looked like bombs is the best part.

ckohler

They should ask officials from the other major cities which had these signs (and didn't freak out) to come to court and defend these kids and tell Boston to lighten up.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
This whole mess is ****ing ridiculous. I pretty much agree with everything White Man's said in this thread.

EDIT: And no, they shouldn't be convicted of anything, except maybe for putting up some ads in places without permit. That's hardly worthy of anything but fines.

EDIT2: And yeah, Flynn also makes a lot of sense.

ckohler said:
They should ask officials from the other major cities which had these signs (and didn't freak out) to come to court and defend these kids and tell Boston to lighten up.

Once again:

The reason it started is because the first one, from the angle observed was NOT fully visible.

What WAS visible was a circuitboard with a black box attached to a column in a transportation hub. If thats not suspicious, I dont know what is.

NOBODY complained about the one placed above a comic book store, or at fenway, since they were OBVIOUSLY marketing.

The situation escalated because somebody placed a PIPE BOMB look alike. not one, but TWO.

News reported this, people in their cars heard about it, and then, only THEN started calling in the other ones.

If it werent for the pipe bomb part of this, there would have been NO escalation.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
jamesinclair said:
The situation escalated because somebody placed a PIPE BOMB look alike. not one, but TWO.

You know what also looks a bit like pipe bombs? PIPES.

You're gonna have a helluva time clearing citys from those.

White Man

jamesinclair said:
Once again:

The reason it started is because the first one, from the angle observed was NOT fully visible.

What WAS visible was a circuitboard with a black box attached to a column in a transportation hub. If thats not suspicious, I dont know what is.

NOBODY complained about the one placed above a comic book store, or at fenway, since they were OBVIOUSLY marketing.

News reported this, people in their cars heard about it, and then, only THEN started calling in the other ones.

If it werent for the pipe bomb part of this, there would have been NO escalation.

The first I heard of the pipe bombs was when you posted it earlier, and the story you linked to was just posted (early) this morning. Was this news really out there, specifically mentioning pipe bombs, as the whole incident was going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom