• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston police close river, bridges in possible college hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING:

TURNER BROADCASTING TAKES FULL RESPONSABILITY.

It was all an Adult Swim commercial

Earlier today:

---
BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- Bomb units scrambled Wednesday afternoon to investigate four suspicious devices reported to police almost simultaneously throughout Boston.

The reports forced the temporary shutdowns of part of an interstate, a key inbound roadway and a bridge between Boston and Cambridge.

Police said four calls, which all came in around 1 p.m., reported suspicious devices at the Boston University Bridge, the Longfellow Bridge, the Tufts-New England Medical Center and a major intersection.

The reports came just hours after authorities detonated a suspicious device at subway station located under Interstate 93 in Boston.

Subway service across the Longfellow Bridge, between Boston and Cambridge, was suspended temporarily.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/suspicious.packages.ap/index.html

The article doesnt mention it but access to the river for boats was closed.

Bridges are now being reopened, as "err"was found on the devices. Subway service also resumed.

Up to 10 devcies have been reported

Police are now approaching all new reports as hoaxes. The news showed police walking up to a new object and simply picking it up, vs blowing it up.
thebridge.jpg

thebridge3.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ha, I haven't checked local news all day. I had no idea about this. Hope it doesn't affect the commute home at all.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
zesty said:
I know who one of the culprits was.

<---
This was merely a precautionary measure taken by Lord Brady to ensure that the city's emergency response teams were up to spec.

For those not familiar with Boston

thebridge3.jpg

MIT is where the BRG part of "Boston University Bridge" is.

Not that anythings been confirmed but....this is a nerd prank.

fse

cnn said it was a black board with a mooninite on it from ATHF lol.
I can't believe this. lol.

vatstep

Karakand said:
Anything to stop the Lakers from kicking your asses tonight, eh Celtics?
Celtics? I vaguely remember a basketball team called the Celtics, but that's all..

This is hilarious. I saw camera men walking across the BU bridge on my way back from class. (I'm a BU student).

I turned on the news to hear this:

"It seems as though this particular character, his name being "Err" is supposed to be young and rebellious. We don't know if those that put these signs up are "rebellious" and "young" but we have reason to suspect as much.

Propagandhim said:
It seems as though this particular character, his name being "Err" is supposed to be young and rebellious. We don't know if those that put these signs up are "rebellious" and "young" but we have reason to suspect as much.
:lol

I edited the first post.

More are turning up, but police are no longer blowing them up, assuming theyre all hoaxes

The news showed a policeman simply climbing a ladder and placing the device in a paper bag.

IJoel

Propagandhim said:
This is hilarious. I saw camera men walking across the BU bridge on my way back from class. (I'm a BU student).

I turned on the news to hear this:

"It seems as though this particular character, his name being "Err" is supposed to be young and rebellious. We don't know if those that put these signs up are "rebellious" and "young" but we have reason to suspect as much.

:lol

Flynn

So somebody makes a bunch of Err light-up signs and leaves them around town. By definition it's not a hoax unless they claimed that the signs were bombs or something else.

Phoenix

jamesinclair said:
News says that theres a 5 year jail term for this kind of hoax.

That's usually "per count", and then there is the civil case by the city to recoup the money they spent on the hoax. I'm sure this person will be laughing all through the anal rape.

Flynn said:
So somebody makes a bunch of Err light-up signs and leaves them around town. By definition it's not a hoax unless they claimed that the signs were bombs or something else.

It is a hoax, the police were called about all the locations at the same time. You dont call the police if youre placing art

The devices werent just near bridges, they were tied to them, in hard to reach places. one was 10 feet up, above a busy road (storrow drive)

Phoenix

Flynn said:

This is true... so they'll only get booted out of college for the action. In any event, I hope that the individual(s) who did this were at least in law school so that they can defend themselves :)

Flynn said:

im with you. it seems they just wanted to make them to put up, and put them high up so nobody would take them down before dark.

bigfatgameguy said:
im with you. it seems they just wanted to make them to put up, and put them high up so nobody would take them down before dark.

That could have been the case, as they all had timers, but again, police were called about 5 locations at the same time.

The morning 10am incident was reported by a apsserbyer who noticed it. Then all was clear until the new calls came in around 3pm

Phoenix

bigfatgameguy said:

Indeed, so they placed signage without a permit and trespassed as well. Keep going :)

The news is now showing this place for some reason. Its on Harvard Ave, Ive walked passed it many times.

Of course, maybe its a soviet operation

thebridge4.jpg

Or viral marketing

So weird. . . BU student here, too. . . I can't wait to see the FREEP take the Boston news to task for the "Spongebob" mistake.

Because really, the BU Free Press has nothing better to report on.

. . . crazy MIT kids >.<

APF

jamesinclair said:
The news is now showing this place for some reason. Its on Harvard Ave, Ive walked passed it many times.

Of course, maybe its a soviet operation

thebridge4.jpg

Or viral marketing
When I was in HS my friends and I used to play Street Fighter II in the pizza parlor across the street all the time; my friend once won every game for days in a row after his Dhalsim discovered "cheapness" ...

Grecco

Turner Broadcasting takes full responsability supposidly as some sort of viral marketing for the movie/show... :lol

I just realized...

IF YOU OWN TURNER STOCK: BAIL OUT NOW

Theyve been found in New York, LA and Seatle

Boston mayor is going to have a feild day on how his city reacted it first

Phoenix

Glad I sold all my stock a while back. Hope the marketing person who came up with this has a good amount of money in their savings, because they'll be on the street before 5pm on Friday.

Trakdown

Grecco said:
Turner Broadcasting takes full responsability supposidly as some sort of viral marketing for the movie/show... :lol

*cue Price is Right loss music*

I feel really sorry for the advertising company that came up with this, they're going to get hit HARD.

fse

apparently there were DIY kits to make mini light up advertisements. what dumb **** thought it was a bomb? :lol

Phoenix

What's the source on Turner Broadcasting? The whole ATHF team, the broadcasting center and everything else is here in Atlanta not to mention the obscenely large number of billboards they own along 75/85. WTF were they thinking.

I may go to my old office just to see how many people get fired Friday.

Phoenix said:
What's the source on Turner Broadcasting? The whole ATHF team, the broadcasting center and everything else is here in Atlanta not to mention the obscenely large number of billboards they own along 75/85. WTF were they thinking.

CNN, who is owned by Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom