• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston to hate groups You're not welcome to rally here

I did research and nothing showed for "Boston Free Speech" group. I did see everyone in the thread knew they were a hate group thus my question on how they knew.
Just FYI, "Free Speech Rally" is 100% a euphamism/dogwhistle at this point for a rally in favor of racism and bigotry of all sorts. Like every single event billed as a "Free Speech" event in the past year is chock-full of extreme right wing speakers and alt-right personalities.

KHarvey16

Crazy how Boston is so racist that that fact deserves a mention in a thread dedicated to the strong anti-hate statements issued by its public officials and yet it consistently and overwhelmingly votes for those individuals.

norm9

Crazy how Boston is so racist that that fact deserves a mention in a thread dedicated to the strong anti-hate statements issued by its public officials and yet it consistently and overwhelmingly votes for those individuals.

It is the perfect time for platitudes from morally corrupt politicians to get some brownie points.

rjc571

Banned

But didn't you hear? The Red Sox didn't have a black baseball player until 1959!!! That proves that the city of Boston is currently racist!!!

TyrantII

Just FYI, "Free Speech Rally" is 100% a euphamism/dogwhistle at this point for a rally in favor of racism and bigotry of all sorts. Like every single event billed as a "Free Speech" event in the past year is chock-full of extreme right wing speakers and alt-right personalities.

Yup. Anyone that's confused needs to watch the 30 min vid in the VICE thread. Nazis are trying to claim this is free speech issues. As they walk around looking for fights with loaded weapons.

I know about that, and racism is an issue deep rooted into this country, I agree, but threads about LA, NYC, and other very liberal leaning cities don't have their racist histories constantly brought up in every thread those cities get talked about.

I admit this thread was definitely going to have those mentions so I shouldn't be so sensitive knowing that, but every thread about Boston has those jabs no matter the topic it seems.
Ive brought up how nyc isn’t free from racism as many believe it to be, I mean look at the nypd.

Do they actually have a say in the manner? It's strong for the mayor to say "you're not welcome here." That's great. But they can't actually stop them from doing these shitty rallies if they desire.

"So much for the tolerant left!"

lol

Edit: some of y'all complaining about Boston are welcome to take a tour around Indiana with me.

p2535748

Massachusetts is a weird place, politically, because it's (by American standards) extraordinarily liberal (it's one of the few states where the majority of white men voted for Clinton, I believe), but it has this huge blind spot when it comes to race issues. As someone who's lived here all my life, it's weird how defensive people can get about the state's reputation in that area, and how that defensiveness can so easily turn ugly.

Having said that, I do think the city is getting better, and I think a lot of the people in power are at least reasonable about the history and what needs to be fixed. The police have actually done very well with community policing, and the commissioner at least sounds reasonable about issues like body cameras, community interaction, and terrorism (and let's be clear, I'm talking relative here, I'm not absolving the police of all sins). The Mayor and the Governor have both been similarly reasonable, even if I don't agree with them on all issues.

Still, Boston remains weirdly provincial, insular, and defensive, and until that stops it's going to be hard to change attitudes. It's frustrating, because there's a lot I love about the city, but the racism hangs over it.

Edit: Just so we're clear, I'm saying that "provincial, insular, and defensive" are barriers to stamping out the racism, not that they're the whole problem.

KHarvey16

It's just a real shame racism can never be criticized, given the fact anyone from a place with any racists can't be taken seriously when they speak out against racism.

cdyhybrid

And the next day the asswipe was banned from Fenway for life, and Jones got a standing ovation.

What's your point? Yes, Boston has legacy problems with racism. Just like every square inch of this broken country.

My point is that Boston has issues of their own and that they need to examine those instead of instantly becoming defensive every time it's pointed out. This statement is great but they have work to within their own house.

You're right, the article that you linked made the current events null and void.

Oh wait, no it didn't.

Funny, I never said it did. You can make that statement and still have problems with race in your state/city.

Who's more representative of Boston, the few racist idiots who yelled racial slurs at an opposing player and got kicked out of the game, or the 90% of the crowd who gave that player a standing ovation the following night?

Neither - it's probably the people that circle the wagons anytime Boston's history with racial issues is brought up.

Lynn616

Yep. That poster has been defending the rights of nazis in every thread on these matters lately, so them conveniently not being able to find any info on the nazis in question here is pretty... interesting.

I be they can't even find any info on these individuals listed here!

Yes, interesting. Nothing on that group comes up. After getting a link to an individual speaker (Invictus) I see why the reaction. Also, the only thing I have been against in these threads is how quick some are to label entire groups as Nazis.

Funny, I never said it did. You can make that statement and still have problems with race in your state/city.

But didn't you hear? The Red Sox didn't have a black baseball player until 1959!!! That proves that the city of Boston is currently racist!!!
Why go back decades when you can go back three months?

"That proves the city of Boston is currently racist"
"Why go back decades when you can go back three months?"

So your comment in reply to someone (sarcastically) saying that the city of Boston is currently racist is that "you can go back three months" didn't have any connection to the comment that it was replying to?

it's probably the people that circle the wagons

Hope you don't get too dizzy - with all the wagon circling and spin and everything.

cdyhybrid

"That proves the city of Boston is currently racist"
"Why go back decades when you can go back three months?"

So your comment in reply to someone (sarcastically) saying that the city of Boston is currently racist is that "you can go back three months" didn't have any connection to the comment that it was replying to?

Hope you don't get too dizzy - with all the wagon circling and spin and everything.

Are you not reading my posts?

As someone that has lived in Massachusetts, Georgia, and Alabama saying Boston is racist just seems funny to me. I mean don't get me wrong it has its moments of racism like everywhere does but seeing what some of you are saying is just funny. Though I agree red Sox fans are the worst.

KHarvey16

"Racism, hate and intolerance are not acceptable in our city or our state."

"Yeah, well people do racist things in your city! Got you!"

"Well that's a minority of folks and also unacceptable"

"....yeah whatever the pats are cheaters LOLOL go sports teams!!"

cdyhybrid

What is this "Reply has no connection to comment" thread you're harping on about? I honestly have no idea what you're asking.

The original post said people use the Sox being the last to integrate as evidence that Boston is currently racist:

I responded with a post saying that you don't have to go back that far for evidence.

This isn't complicated.

I may just be confused though, were you referring to this OP and I just misunderstood you?

Why get so defensive about something if "every city has a problem with racism."

There's obviously some truth in all the jokes so instead of feeling some type of way just roll with the punches and move on.

cdyhybrid

A state is a city, and Indiana is in the north now?

I'm assuming he's saying there are 10 cities in Indiana that are more racist than Boston. Indiana was a supporter of the Union at least, which is what I assume they were referring to when they say "The North".

Pence is the high Sparrow

2JrU4f6.gif

He's gonna need a lot of ointment..

TyrantII

What's sad are people leaning on the crutch of their sports tribalism to make claims against people and places they don't know a damn thing about. Stones in glass houses.

Yes, Boston has a racism problem. But so does your town. So does this country. This isn't a dick measuring contest.

What's sad are people leaning on the crutch of their sports tribalism to make claims against people and places they don't know a damn thing about. Stones in glass houses.

Yes, Boston has a racism problem. But so does your town. So does this country. This isn't a dick measuring contest.

And importantly for this topic, Boston has a politician who has spoken out about the current racist issues.
Where are all the other topics of other politicians saying stuff like this?

KHarvey16

Yeah all other towns and cities and states have issues with racism, but they're considerate enough to not speak out against hatred and racism.

cdyhybrid

And importantly for this topic, Boston has a politician who has spoken out about the current racist issues.

I must have missed the statements in response to planned Nazi rallies by the organizers of the Charlottesville rally in those other cities. Can you link to them for me?

TyrantII

No only our political leaders, but thousands of us will be marching Saturday for equality.

By all means, anyone in this thread is more than welcome to join us and see what Boston really is. Consider this an invitation.

Top Bottom