• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandwatch: Microsoft took 44% of all conference-related mentions

wildfire

Banned
One thing that jumps out at me:

Look at how many PSVR games are at the bottom of the list. That is not good.

"VR Fishing" did amazingly.

I guess.

Who knows if the sarcasm is playful banter or thinly veiled scorn.

Based on GAF alone people mocked it but appreciated it.

Square Enix really gambled here.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Microsoft "won" E3 2016 in Brandwatch's report too:
Conference-Comparison-12-15-June.png

Didn't help a lot then...

Yeah I never trust these things. They're always heavily slanted towards Microsoft, and don't state how they're filtering out non gaming Microsoft news of the week.

wildfire

Banned
My Twitter feed was filled with people making fun of the car and laughing at the price. The analytics support the negative reactions to the car, but I'm surprised they didn't see a peak at the price announcement. You'd think one way or another there would be some reaction.

Dude. Go back into the GAF MS thread. So many of us missed it even though we were looking out for it thanks to Keighly helping MS with the controlled leak.

Phil announced the price but unlike every other presser in history they didn't display the price visually. He also announced the price after a hype inducing game trailer. MS neatly and masterfully controlled the negative reaction.

Yeah I never trust these things. They're always heavily slanted towards Microsoft, and don't state how they're filtering out non gaming Microsoft news of the week.

ever heard about hashtags? #XboxE3
and Sony has also more than just gaming.

these things are correct. they show social media impressions / mentions.
that's it

blakep267

Surprised Evil Within so high and god of war so low.
GOW didn't really have a gripping showing. It was a bunch of moments stitched together with Kratos killing a lot of people then a big snake. Evil Within and Wolfenstein told a visual story(I may say they told too much) but their trailers were much better put together to get a random person interested

anothertech

who said anything about winning or losing?
certainly not me.
it's presented data.

just because people make stupid assumptions about it, does not make the data invalid or incorrect
I assumed you meant 'MS won E3' as correct, when you said 'they are correct'

Which is why I called bollocks

c1d

And they also don't seem to consider positive/negative separately (and yes, I know the saying)

Metroid is fucking BACK.

Honestly, I'm sorta glad they waited this long to make a new Prime game, because it just made the announcement all the more exciting. Metroid fans were convinced (rightfully so) that the series would be left behind by Ninty like poor F-Zero.

HeroR

Metroid is fucking BACK.

Honestly, I'm sorta glad they waited this long to make a new Prime game, because it just made the announcement all the more exciting. Metroid fans were convinced (rightfully so) that the series would be left behind by Ninty like poor F-Zero.

It was just fans jumping to conclusion since Other M came out in 2010 and Federation Force was 2015. Regardless of how you feel about the quality of those games, that is far more than F-Zero got after its last game since Nintendo bothered to try a spin-off with Matroid that fans proceeded to bitch about.

Kaji AF16

Isn´t NeoGAF currently heavily slanted towards Sony, so the reality should be found somewhere in between?

If I were to represent the E3 2017 impact on a sample containing my
heavily slanted towards Microsoft
gaming friends, the results would probably be somewhat in line with that Brandwatch graph, but with much more Anthem than AC: Origins mentions.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Stuff like this always shows how out of touch GAF is sometimes.
Pretty much. Most of the content and interviews I watched showed positivity towards the MS conference and the Xbox one X. On here however people were saying it was dead in the water and Sony having Spider-Man alone meant they would win E3 and that was before they'd even had their conference!

Just goes to show you, like all things, never get your information from one source.

that's a pretty poor methodology description... what constitutes a brand mention? just the brand, any tag with the brand name in it? any product mention associated with the brand? which acronyms were included?

i would assume MS being focused more on a product would include more MS-based tags where with Sony and Nintendo showing more focus on games their tagging would mostly include just games... e.g. it'd be redundant for most Super Mario tags to also include Nintendo; at best games like GOW would probably include a tag such as PS4, not Sony.

MS had the best brand showing IMO so I'd wager they still received more mentions. but I mean, really, that methodology is not very clear... is there a different section somewhere? or is it 'proprietary' hhh

Vena

It's arguably one of the biggest Japanese franchise having a western 'debut' + the controversy surrounding it. Last time that happened was FF VII.

Its also still fairly niche in the west, and most certainly hasn't even been a thing in the west for non-Wii/3DS gamers for damn near a decade. FFVII actually redefined a lot about it's genre and came at a very different time, MHW doesn't redefine anything and comes in a time where it can get buried by AAA games.

The controversy is surrounding MHXX.

eerik9000

Completely expected result for the methodology used:
They only used Twitter
They only tracked English-language tweets
Overwhelming majority of Xbox userbase is in English-speaking countries
Xbox press conference was at a somehwat reasonable time for all major English-speaking countries
Xbox press conference had a huge hashtag on screen throughout the whole show
Xbox press conference dominated in quantity, in both the length of the show and number of things shown
etc.

"Do not read too much into it" (Arstechnica)

Teran

Tbh a lot of the tweets I saw on my feed about MS were deriding the Xbone X. I bet half of the mentions are just the CEO Kaz account.

Top Bottom