• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default Outsells Lightning Returns FF13 in the US

MechaX

Weren't some of those games charting high because some of them were sale (especially Ni no Kuni) for very, very low prices? They could have sold a lot more than expected and push LR, which was not cheap, down a bit.

How many people are going to be in line buying Playstation All-Stars, Toth?

Toth

The problem is that LR should have not compete with a 6+month game in sale. As a FF title, is a big drop.

But we are talking digital sales here. Even I would recommend an 8 dollar Ni No Kuni to a friend over the 60 dollar LR just for the value alone.

Kuro

Yep.

One dimensional cast created with stereotypical themes, cheesy to downright irritating voice acting, a serviceable combat system that only shines when you devote time to it's metagame instead of appreciating both and a plot that doesn't know wether it wants the gamer to take it seriously or not. Everything in BD has been done. There is nothing that BD does that seperates itself from other RPGS, rather, it relies on the nostalgia factor it sets itself as in it's writing and game design to make it successful. Of-fucking course people are going to herald that instead of Lightning Returns. Lightning Returns is DmC, whereas BD:FF is DMC4, in a sense.

BD and what it is--a servicable JRPG--is fine. BD as what it represents--the accumulated efforts of trying to win the hearts of the old JRPG fanbase with it being "OLD FINAL FANTASY" instead of an evolution of Final Fantasy in terms of writing and combat, which things like VII, IX, and XII were--is piss poor.

Well I guess that means BD was fantastic because DMC4 shits all over DmC. I had a lot of fun with BD and the (Japanese) VAs were great. Sure the last bits of the game got dumb but it wasn't bad for a first entry. I'm excited to see what they do with the sequel.

Silky

Banned
I wouldn't object to a Bravely Second. But if it's another turn based JRPG (which it'll probably be.) I probably won't get it immediately.

Shinta

Banned
So I'm guessing we'll probably be getting Bravely Second?

Maybe. How much did DQ IX sell? Was that the last DQ Nintendo published in NA? I forget what order they came out in with the re-releases. I'm starting to wonder at this rate if they're even going to localize X on Wii U, if BD on the higher install base only pulls in 200k sales; less than half of Xenoblade.

BD sold less than KH:DDD, and SQEX was not happy with the sales of that. Nintendo seems to just throw away money on JRPGs that never sell. I don't know how long they'll be happy doing that since time and time again, the audience just doesn't seem to show up anymore in any kind of significant numbers.

I really wonder what FFX will sell on Vita. Hopefully good numbers.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's been ages since I've played X so I can't comment on the quality of it's story as it's so fuzzy to me. Can't wait to go back and sigh, thinking why the hell people wanted an HD port of this instead of XII

It's kind of... funny, that you love XII and abhor BD at the same time since as I understand it, one of the most visible complaints about the latter is that it totally flips around in its latter half of the game and XII was just exactly the same as that.

Ah well, not that I wouldn't love the idea of FFXII-hd re-release though, especially if they include the zodiac version. I love the game's mechanic (aside the total nerf of the magic system) although in terms of *flatness*--as in I don't feel anything for the characters or the story and the ending left me with a very huge "that's it? eh" feeling--FFXII ranks as the worst in all FF that I have played for me. Gameplay-wise though, FFXII was real solid.

Tripon

Since we're checking the digital shops, 3DS eShop has Bravely Default 3rd behind 1)Pokemon X, 2)Pokemon Y for recent releases.

Toth

Last comment from me on this for now but when is SE due with their next Q summary? I am very interested in how this will turn out.

sörine

Banned
Maybe. How much did DQ IX sell? Was that the last DQ Nintendo published in NA? I forget what order they came out in with the re-releases.

It sold less than KH:DDD, and SQEX was not happy with the sales of that.
DQIX sold a million in the west but we don't have US specific figures after the first month of 132k. Nintendo published DQVI and DQMJ2 afterward which both tanked.

KH3D did pretty well in the US, it's the Japanese sales that were disappointing.

ZeroX03

Banned

KH is an established IP, not a particularly fair comparison.

If Amazon sales charts are any indication (#1 on Vita for a good while), it'll probably be one of the highest selling Vita games of the year. That doesn't necessarily mean it's selling a lot of copies though...

MechaX

Maybe. How much did DQ IX sell? Was that the last DQ Nintendo published in NA? I forget what order they came out in with the re-releases.

DQ IX did 132k or something to that effect on its first month. It did cross 1 million towards the end of the year in both NA and Europe though, so that's something.

As for KH:DDD, there were way too many factors wrong with that. Franchise-fatigue cutting into legs, let alone the decline seen ever since KH2, earlier 3DS release, gameplay itself being arguably a step back from BBS, etc, etc.

There is no way FFX is going to do well on the Vita in the West; the Vita is deader than dead as of now in NA, and SCEA isn't going to be changing that any time soon.

MechaX

If Nintendo was going to point out that it did better than Fire Emblem Awakening, which Nintendo was also really surprised about, they're most likely happy with the BD sales.

If Nintendo was going to point out that it did better than Fire Emblem Awakening, which Nintendo was also really surprised about, they're most likely happy with the BD sales.

And again, like Fire Emblem Awakening, they could not get bothered to make/send copies to my country.

Xilium

That doesn't make the game high profile. Pokemon had people running out buying 3DS/2DS and worldwide advertising. It's a special franchise. Bravely Default being the RPG that sold second to that (if that's true) does not make it high profile. It's still relatively a small fry.

Bravely Default is a throwback to fucking SNES/PS1-era gaming. That's niche too.

Zelda's an RPG. If you don't consider it one, then Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is significantly 'higher profile' than Bravely Default.

Why would being released since Pokemon matter? Should we expect the next random platformer after DKTF to overperform because it is automatically the next highest profile platformer after DK was released? Not everyone that played pokemon and likes rpgs played through all the other rpgs on the system, meaning they weren't starved for games, meaning the qualification of being the biggest post pokemon rpg means little, when nothing is stopping people from simply picking up one of the million other quality RPGs for the system instead of BD. It was a half cocked rationalization of BDs solid sales that made little sense.

I don't see how a Square Enix developed JRPG is not considered high profile but whatever.

My initial point was simply that LR doing poorly came as no surprise considering the reception of the previous two entries in the series. BD doing reasonably well came as no surprise (to just me apparently) seeing as it's a game that is a throwback to 90's era FF titles by the company that made those games (if not necessarily the same people).

That said, I don't understand the point of the comparison. SE isn't going to look at those numbers and think "Well obviously the next FF should be more like BD". BD may very well go on to be a respectable series in its own right but it doesn't live up to the FF name any more than the XIII trilogy does (Well, the first XIII actually sold well but the reception was poor). (I was also making the point that people likely wouldn't be as forgiving of BD flaws/faults if it was an FF title, as those games are held to a much higher standard.)

The only lesson to be learned from this is that XIII has been milked as much as it can be and it needs to be sent to pasture and that they've hopefully been listening to the feedback they've been getting throughout this ordeal to insure FFXV doesn't suffer the same fate.

Edit: BD wasn't developed (solely) by Square so I stand corrected on that.

Shinta

Banned
sörine;104302362 said:
I think it'll be Nintendo again but not because SE is still disinterested. Not with these numbers.

I'm betting SQEX doesn't see this as being worth it. They get the bulk of the money from Japan, and then sell the NA publishing rights to Nintendo in some kind of agreement. And these sales are with Nintendo marketing behind it, large billboards in Gamestop (that I saw at least), Nintendo Direct, prominent eShop status. Sequels don't always do more sales either.

Hopefully Nintendo sees it as worth it just to fill in periods of release drought in 2015/2016.

Dark_castle

I wouldn't object to a Bravely Second. But if it's another turn based JRPG (which it'll probably be.) I probably won't get it immediately.

It's confirmed to be the same as the original. I'm expecting them to improve on the first game with various enhancement and new storyline.

Which is good. Let Bravely series keep doing what's been done, basically series of throwbacks to the old school type of RPG. Meanwhile, Final Fantasy can keep reinventing itself with each instalment, introducing radically new gameplay, setting, and overall direction of the game. While XIII sucked, XII was good, and I still have strong hope for XV.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm honestly surprised its that close. I have I think three other real life friends who all bought Bravely Default in addition to me, and I don't think anyone else had even heard of Lightning Returns

vareon

BD has its faults, but it's a promising beginning and we can expect better things for Bravely Second.

LR was the third entry in a series with mixed receptions, especially when the second game sold half(?) of the first.

Glad to see the market still have sense!

I'm betting SQEX doesn't see this as being worth it. They get the bulk of the money from Japan, and then sell the rights to Nintendo in some kind of agreement. And these sales are with Nintendo marketing behind it, large billboards in Gamestop (that I saw at least), Nintendo Direct, prominent eShop status. Sequels don't always do more sales either.

Hopefully Nintendo sees it as worth it just to fill in periods of release drought in 2015/2016.

Regardless, probably is more worthy than LR given the Low Scores and the marketing budget.

I don't imagine Square being particularly happy with LR even when they expected lower sales.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Since we're talking about BD in general in this thread: the game is pure indulgence. Its completely, entirely aimed at people who enjoyed NES and SNES era Final Fantasy games, a group I'm definitely part of. And you know, normally I might demand more from a game like that. I might demand more innovation, less cliche, whatever. But while I wouldn't want to live on a diet of ice-cream, sometimes its just nice to have a goddamn ice-cream cone.

sörine

Banned
I'm betting SQEX doesn't see this as being worth it. They get the bulk of the money from Japan, and then sell the NA publishing rights to Nintendo in some kind of agreement. And these sales are with Nintendo marketing behind it, large billboards in Gamestop (that I saw at least), Nintendo Direct, prominent eShop status. Sequels don't always do more sales either.

200k is great for a new JRPG. Drakengard 3 won't be coming close to that and they seem to consider that worthwhile.

These sales are enough for SE to take notice. I just don't think it's a case of "Nintendo or no one" anymore.

Since we're talking about BD in general in this thread: the game is pure indulgence. Its completely, entirely aimed at people who enjoyed NES and SNES era Final Fantasy games, a group I'm definitely part of. And you know, normally I might demand more from a game like that. I might demand more innovation, less cliche, whatever. But while I wouldn't want to live on a diet of ice-cream, sometimes its just nice to have a goddamn ice-cream cone.

Only played the first 10 or so hours, have we

Shinta

Banned
Regardless, probably is more worthy than LR given the Low Scores and the marketing budget.

I don't imagine Square being particularly happy with LR even when they expected lower sales.

I'm sure they're disappointed in it. I honestly don't see one as being more worthy than the other at this point. LR will have digital sales for a while to add on to it, as will BD of course. I think a decent chunk of the XIII audience is somewhat curious about it, but not for $60. XIII-2 was only $10 a few months ago and probably picked up some sales. And LR has DLC too, and OST sales. And we're not counting any of the other international sales yet. And this is the last XIII game, so they're not doing another anyway. At the very least, they were right in not spending more on this game's graphics.

If FFX doesn't do super great either, or KH 2.5, then things are looking bad. It's hard to blame them for focusing on mobile or not localizing everything, as much as I hate it. Not sure Thief did that great either, and Murdered SS probably won't either. How about Drakengard 3?

XV definitely needs to do well. XIV: ARR seems to be doing good so far. Same with Tomb Raider.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
KH is an established IP, not a particularly fair comparison.

If Amazon sales charts are any indication (#1 on Vita for a good while), it'll probably be one of the highest selling Vita games of the year. That doesn't necessarily mean it's selling a lot of copies though...

Amazon sales chart isn't the best place to gauge sales. Amazon sells out peorder for vita tv in japan months ago and we sees how miserable for that device now.

Shinta

Banned
You're very wrong. And you prove the point that the negativity towards LR is mostly because of the name on the tin.

Conversations about this game are definitely now colored by the knowledge that almost no one played it. It's like talking about Super Mario 3D World or The Wonderful 101 on here. Very large chance the other person talking has not played it.

Oh well, their loss I guess.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Bravely Default deserved it, an amazing game. Great soundtrack, battle system, and likable characters.

Though I hate those difficulty spikes, it just jumps out of nowhere :(

ZeroX03

Banned
Amazon sales chart isn't the best place to gauge sales. Amazon sells out peorder for vita tv in japan months ago and we sees how miserable for that device now.

I did throw up the "is any indication". Again it's tough to say for Vita, just because a game is a top-selling Vita game doesn't mean it's going to sell well at all.

You're very wrong. And you prove the point that the negativity towards LR is mostly because of the name on the tin.

Which means it's linked to the XIII story and characters which a boatload of people don't like. Should've made XIII-3 a new IP instead of tying the gameplay to a shitty one.

Shinta

Banned
I did throw up the "is any indication". Again it's tough to say for Vita, just because a game is a top-selling Vita game doesn't mean it's going to sell well at all.

I sure hope Tearaway was never a top seller at Amazon, considering it did first month sales around 15k or so.

Dark_castle

Brace yourself for chapter 5.

Top Bottom