• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild Amiibo unlocks revealed

Correct. You can apparently have normal doggo companions, but the Wolf Link amiibo gives it a special Wolf Link skin. Like how there's Mii Racers in Mario Kart but the Smash amiibo give them special skins.

Thanks so much for clarifying this for me! I was really hoping to keep my TPHD Wolf Link amiibo in its package (for collection purposes). May have to open that thing up now. Buying another one at $22 CDN is a tough pill to swallow. Thanks again!

I don't know if all the Amiibo locks are known yet, but I've tried my Smash Link Amiibo with it and amongst some other materials it unlocked
Link's tunic from Twilight Princess

I don't know if all the Amiibo locks are known yet, but I've tried my Smash Link Amiibo with it and amongst some other materials it unlocked
Link's tunic from Twilight Princess

From what ive seen, its random. I saw a video of someone scanning his 4 amiibos on different accounts and one of them ended up giving him hero of time armor after a few tries.

maxcriden

Wait, so some of the amiibo items besides Wolf Link really are exclusive?! I had thought I'd read you'd be able to get all of them in the main game except for Wolf Link. That's not true?

You can feed animals and they follow you around, but the only way to get the Wolf Link skin is by tapping the amiibo.

O_O I was just wondering yesterday if I can feed animals! I want to try it.

Wait, so some of the amiibo items besides Wolf Link really are exclusive?! I had thought I'd read you'd be able to get all of them in the main game except for Wolf Link. That's not true?

Every Zelda themed amiibo released thus far, except the BotW line, have at least one exclusive item. And the various Link amiibo have several exclusives.

I believe when they said amiibo rewards could be found naturally in the game, they were specifically referring to the BotW amiibo. Which is true, as those don't have any exclusives.

maxcriden

Every Zelda themed amiibo released thus far, except the BotW line, have at least one exclusive item. And the various Link amiibo have several exclusives.

I believe when they said amiibo rewards could be found naturally in the game, they were specifically referring to the BotW amiibo. Which is true, as those don't have any exclusives.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the clarification. Some follow-up q's:

(1) I thought a BOTW amiibo gives you
Epona,
or is that another amiibo? I thought that was one you can't get outside of the amiibo.

(2) So the various Link amiibo that have exclusives, does that include the BOTW Links or I guess no?

(3) So all I need are Smash Link and Toon Link ... and Zelda .. and Sheik? (If I want all exclusives and only have the 30th Anniversary ones...)

(4) And apparently you need to scan several times to get all the rewards? Each has more than one exclusive?

Robin64

Epona,
or is that another amiibo? I thought that was one you can't get outside of the amiibo.

(4) And apparently you need to scan several times to get all the rewards? Each has more than one exclusive?

1) It's the Smash Bros. Link amiibo that gives this.

4) Yep, a chest will only contain one exclusive item at most, and you will only get one chest per daily scan.

maxcriden

1) It's the Smash Bros. Link amiibo that gives this.

4) Yep, a chest will only contain one exclusive item at most, and you will only get one chest per daily scan.

Thank you. And each exclusive-giving amiibo has more than one exclusive to give?

Epona,

(2) So the various Link amiibo that have exclusives, does that include the BOTW Links or I guess no?

(3) So all I need are Smash Link and Toon Link ... and Zelda .. and Sheik? (If I want all exclusives and only have the 30th Anniversary ones...)

1. That's Smash Link, which as far as BotW is concerned, is "Twilight Princess Link," and it's the only way to get that.

2. It doesn't include the BotW Links. Those do not have exclusives.

3. Smash Link, Ganondorf, Sheik, and Smash Zelda, assuming you have all the 30th anniversary ones.

4. You can only scan each individual amiibo once a day. And the exclusives are not guaranteed drops, it's entirely random. But there's cheesy ways to get around that, by making a save before you use the amiibo, and re-loading if you don't get what you want.

Thank you. And each exclusive-giving amiibo has more than one exclusive to give?

The Links (Smash, Toon, 8-Bit, Ocarina) do (4 items each), Ganondorf, Zelda, Toon Zelda and Sheik only have one exclusive item.

jph139

Honestly, it kinda sucks that the BotW ones don't have any exclusive content, since they're specifically tied to the game (and have a higher MSRP). There's no real reason to buy them over one of the older figures.

maxcriden

1. That's Smash Link, which as far as BotW is concerned, is "Twilight Princess Link," and it's the only way to get that.

2. It doesn't include the BotW Links. Those do not have exclusives.

3. Smash Link, Ganondorf, Sheik, and Smash Zelda, assuming you have all the 30th anniversary ones.

4. You can only scan each individual amiibo once a day. And the exclusives are not guaranteed drops, it's entirely random. But there's cheesy ways to get around that, by making a save before you use the amiibo, and re-loading if you don't get what you want.

The Links (Smash, Toon, 8-Bit, Ocarina) do (4 items each), Ganondorf, Zelda, Toon Zelda and Sheik only have one exclusive item.

Thanks for all of this info. I can see how they would be a little immersion-breaking from what people have said. Could I ask for a complete list of unlocks? It's probably not worth it to me but trying to decide for sure. I'm trying not to run into other BOTW spoilers. Thank you.

Edit:

Some like Smash Sheik and Smash Zelda have just one exclusive, but others like Smash Link have four. Here's a full list.

Nevermind, Robin's got me covered on that. Thank you both once again!

Nottle

Edit: nevemind the post right above me answered this question sorry. /edit

Not sure if you can find this in the main game so I'm gonna tag it just in case. Just item and gear related. I saw these in videos.

so I saw that you could get all sorts of Wind Waker, Majoras mask, OOT, AND TP stuff from random amiibo drops. Is there anyway to find those in game. That shiel mask would be great with the Shieka armor I already wear.

Damn, the Amiibo exclusives are a lot of fun. I really don't want to fall down the Amiibo rabbit hole, having already conquered every available Star Wars Disney Infinity figure. Once was enough! :p

maxcriden

BTW, Nintendo is selling the Smash and 8-Bit Links and Ganondorf, as well as several others, here:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat860034&pageSize=6&viewAll=true

(Stock may be fluctuating or they may be sold out of at least one of these per another user - I was able to add the same amiibo they mentioned, Smash Link, to my cart after they said this, though, so I think it might be fluctuating stock.)

Is it true that Skyward Sword armor has been datamined as well?

AFAIK data mining hinted at Majora, TP and Skyward amiibos: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348107

And does he really fight alongside you and help you gather food. Huge Fallout fan here :D

Yes, he does.

Well I was going to try and get the ones that have exclusive stuff since I sold all my Amiibo about a year ago. hahaha $100 for an original Link? wtf that thing was everywhere.

speiky

Here is a picture that shows all the exclusive items.
QWNvr

Pinky

Banned
I only have 1 amiibo(Wolf Link) and that's only because it came with TPHD. However, I'm really enticed to grab all these BotW amiibos.

I don't mind at all that there are exclusive for the Amiibos. It makes sense to me. But I think the outfits should be automatic skins. The concept is using your toy in the digital world. It seems a bit silly to have to RNG your way to the outfit.

I'm quite happy the Wolf Link just straight imports. That makes a ton of sense.

But Nintendo could easily sell these costumes and items as DLC or on Amiibo cards. They would sell a lot of them.

Lgndryhr

BTW, Nintendo is selling the Smash and 8-Bit Links, as well as several others, here:

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat860034&pageSize=6&viewAll=true

AFAIK data mining hinted at Majora, TP and Skyward amiibos: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348107

Yes, he does.

For BotW, they only have Ganondorf, Link, and 8-Bit. Man these things are hard to find online. Guess I will check my local stores every time I am there. I blew these things off in the past even though I contemplated getting just the LoZ ones due to being a big fan of the series. Felt they were too toy like though.

Razmos

Oh, I have the Smash Bros Link, Zelda and Ganondorf amiibo, as well as Wolf Link. Looks like I'm gonna get some cool stuff. I'd best play through Twilight Princess HD at some point.

I'm very tempted to get the BOTW Zelda amiibo but its out of stock everywhere bah

Wanderer5

Tempeted to check out OoT Link for nostalgia heh. It been funny using a few amiibos to have stuff falling from the sky.

maxcriden

For BotW, they only have Ganondorf, Link, and 8-Bit. Man these things are hard to find online. Guess I will check my local stores every time I am there. I blew these things off in the past even though I contemplated getting just the LoZ ones due to being a big fan of the series. Felt they were too toy like though.

I strongly recommend the BST thread here (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117123), GameTZ and CAG for getting hard to find amiibos, including posting what you're looking for and searching recent listings, and also on GameTZ using the trade match functionality.

I love you! Ordered Link, Gannondorf, and 8-Bit Link a few minutes ago.

It's my pleasure. Whoops, forgot to mention Ganondorf in my post.

BTW, Nintendo is selling the Smash and 8-Bit Links and Ganondorf, as well as several others, here:

(Stock may be fluctuating or they may be sold out of at least one of these per another user - I was able to add the same amiibo they mentioned, Smash Link, to my cart after they said this, though, so I think it might be fluctuating stock.)

Yes, he does.

Max the godsend. Managed to get Smash link from there.

For anyone who needs Smash Ganondorf and Zelda, toysrus also has them at $12.99 each. I ordered them both and Luigi. Free shipping @$29 orders.

Just need Smash Toon Link and Shiek...HAHAHAHhahahaha :(

Fun fact
Took link and Shiek were flooded and sat on the shelves for months and months and months
And months
Now they are rare af x these bonuses causing amiibo fever

Amiibos are alive again

Moofers

How do you use an amiibo in the Switch version of BOTW? I have one and have no idea how to use it in the game. I registered it on my system though so I know the right thumbstick is the scanner.

Also, once I've scanned it while running the game, where do I find the items it provides?

pablito

If all of the items like

*SPOILERS just in case*

Epona, outfits and weapons and such

Can be gotten without them, and that the amiibos just unlock them earlier, I'm fine with that.

dafodeu

How do you use an amiibo in the Switch version of BOTW? I have one and have no idea how to use it in the game. I registered it on my system though so I know the right thumbstick is the scanner.

Also, once I've scanned it while running the game, where do I find the items it provides?

You have to enable it in game options it is off by default for some reason. Then it'll show up under where special abilities do holding L button and you can use it there.

Register the amiibo through the Switch console settings.

Enable Amiibo in game.

Once done you bring up the Amiibo ability similar to using Shieka Slate abilities. It'll drop a zone on the ground where amiibo rewards will drop once scanned.

Lgndryhr

If all of the items like

*SPOILERS just in case*

Epona, outfits and weapons and such

Can be gotten without them, and that the amiibos just unlock them earlier, I'm fine with that.

There are exclusive items hidden behind certain amiibos. See the link to the reddit post.

Top Bottom