• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild Amiibo unlocks revealed

So can I have wolf link without amiibos?

You can have doggos without any amiibo but the Wolf Link skin is amiibo exclusive

For what it's worth he's talking about the items that the Breath of the Wild amiibo unlock. Wolf Link is not part of that line.

JoeM86

Alternatively they do number 1 but also have a dlc that people can buy who don't want a gaudy plastic statue. Thus Amiibo's have added value but people aren't forced to buy plastic toys.

Then we'd have people complaining about paying for an unlock that's already on the disc

sfried

Really disappointed in amiibos overall. Pretty cool figures but tying actual content to them is just... ugh. Should be cosmetic at most. Something like having a shield or tunic themed after the character. Like you can dress in a red mario inspired outfit if you scan a mario amiibo.

After the backlash which was "Ugh exclusive unlocks behind a physical DLC paywall" (see Jim Sterling and his complaint) they decide to make amiibo more like glorified Gamesharks which happen to give stuff that could be acquired in the game by normal, abeit (very) difficult means. And I'm perfectly fine with this (I'm pretty sure a lot of people still complain about wanting to unlock the bonus challenges in Splatoon single player without needing the Boy/Girl/Squid amiibo, so I'm glad they ditched that going forward). I myself like amiibo more for their figurine aspect (provided you get the nicely produced ones) than the gameplay gimmick, although I could see myself using the latter more to explore/exploit the system in various different ways.

Now, if only Good Smile Company and Nintendo could colaborate to make...figmamiibo!

GRW810

I find it strange, given the plethora of platforms (Direct, social media, press release, interviews) for Nintendo to make announcements, that they allowed something as interesting as amiibo functionality to be revealed through independent YouTube videos.

From a marketing point of view you'd think they'd be promoting those amiibo as much as possible themselves.

They've always been.

Buying other physical products for in-game unlocks. This is worse than Ubisoft Club unlocks.

But hey.. or yay, it's Nintendo!

Yes, because Nintendo knows their fans will still buy them.

I mean, if you're buying Amiibo FOR the unlocks, then yeah, you're fucking up. If you're buying them because you like the figurines themselves, than the little bonuses are fun!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I find it strange, given the plethora of platforms (Direct, social media, press release, interviews) for Nintendo to make announcements, that they allowed something as interesting as amiibo functionality to be revealed through independent YouTube videos.

From a marketing point of view you'd think they'd be promoting those amiibo as much as possible themselves.
I agree. Still baffles me how little they've officially shown of the OS and eshop two weeks before launch.

PrimeBeef

Yeah i have no idea why the normal sized amiibo are costing more now. I can understand ones like the Guardian or Poochy.
What were they priced before? I just found a solo Wolf Link at Target yesterday. They were all $15. The pre-order price is $15 except for the Guardian which was $19.

PrimeBeef

The return of horse armor.

15 dollars to pimp out your horse. Nintendoomed

CFe03fyWMAI31IZ.jpg

Kinda sucks how Zelda and Bow Link just give you one item as opposed to the others.
You still get a nice figurine to display or add to a colletion. The in game stuff is just a bonus. So it is not even a relevant comparison.

Coffinhal

You still get a nice figurine to display or add to a colletion. The in game stuff is just a bonus. So it is not even a relevant comparison.

It's true that it's still an overpriced piece of merchandising but at least it doesn't break the game for the others.

Yukinari

What were they priced before? I just found a solo Wolf Link at Target yesterday. They were all $15. The pre-order price is $15 except for the Guardian which was $19.

Amiibo used to cost 13. That went for the Smash, Mario, Kirby and Animal Crossing series.

But the entire BoTW lineup costs 15 each with the exception of the guardian. Makes no logical sense why theyre jacking the price up for normal sized amiibo.

Fliesen

yo, why is the Zelda Amiibo sold out. It's the one i'd get.

Having a better shield sooner would be both, the most practical addition to the game, while not disrupting any of the progression - you can't kill things you're not supposed to kill yet, you won't have a weapon you're not supposed to have. You'll just have a shield that'll most likely break less easily. Which might prevent some hassle.

Also, her Amiibo looks the best, and i already got Wolf Link and Toon Link :/

PrimeBeef

Amiibo used to cost 13. That went for the Smash, Mario, Kirby and Animal Crossing series.

But the entire BoTW lineup costs 15 each with the exception of the guardian. Makes no logical sense why theyre jacking the price up for normal sized amiibo.

TY. Was curious. Never bought one before yesterday and they were all marked at $14.99 at my local Target.

Ghgghggh

Banned
Not a fan of having stronger items given to me earlier on. Why would I want to disrupt the natural game progression on my first play through. Ill get the season pass but I may not use what's in those chests for the same reason.

I do love wolf link amibo function though !

It's true that it's still an overpriced piece of merchandising but at least it doesn't break the game for the others.

Is it? I think Amiibo are mostly appropriately priced for the level of detail they have. They're not on the level of a Figma or Nendoroid, but those are both typically about ~$50. They're more expensive than Funko Pops, but those are typically lighter on detail than Amiibo. I think they're reasonably priced relative to the competition.

LordKano

Ash here, and no, we did not break any embargoes. Others in the thread have rightly suggested that we're not prohibited from showing off the packaging.

Oh well, fine, since people have these boxes for a long time and nothing leaked before these videos I was thinking it was under embargo.

HylianTom

Banned
So imagine stepping out of the Cave of Resurrection.

Link has expansion bonus chests' contents: the Switch tunic and two other "useful" items.

Then you scan each amiibo, summoning your prizes to fall from the sky..

8-bit Link: barrels (potentially holding rupees, etc) and a chest.
Toon Link: fish+chest
Toon Zelda: plants+chest
OoT Link: meat+chest

Guardian: magic arrows/ore/mech parts
Bokoblin: clubs
Rider Link: sword/saddle
Zelda: shield
Archer Link: bow

That's quite a nice little boost to your early game..

tumblr_ohkt7rMqRx1ufr0jio1_500.gif

I received the Wolf Link Amiibo last Sunday and am pretty impressed with the quality of it. It something I will display and the price is worth it for that alone. But I'm pretty excited to have it has a companion in game and will use it when I hunt for food.

OmegaX

Then we'd have people complaining about paying for an unlock that's already on the disc
That already happens.
Case in point:

They've always been.

Buying other physical products for in-game unlocks. This is worse than Ubisoft Club unlocks.

But hey.. or yay, it's Nintendo!

Yes, because Nintendo knows their fans will still buy them.
I just want the damn figurine. If they locked extra quests behind amiibos, you'd be bitching that they are overpriced DLC. This way, people that like figurines get some cheats as a bonus while other people lose nothing.

One thing I'd like to see with these Amiibos, is unlocking an ingame skin that matches the Amiibo. It would be cool to play as the OoT Link, TP Link or Toon Link and 8 Bit Libk (maybe just the color scheme and style but BotW proportions).

But Nintendo is probably due to make a Nintendo Dimensions platformer that actually imports the Amiibo directly.

One thing I'd like to see with these Amiibos, is unlocking an ingame skin that matches the Amiibo. It would be cool to play as the OoT Link, TP Link or Toon Link and 8 Bit Libk (maybe just the color scheme and style but BotW proportions).

But Nintendo is probably due to make a Nintendo Dimensions platformer that actually imports the Amiibo directly.

This would be AMAZING, maybe if enough people bring up the idea they could implement it as DLC? Not paid, I'd hope, since you're already buying the amiibo, but just as a nice little bonus. It's purely cosmetic. Maybe not even changing Link's model but giving him the clothing from said games? White spandex for OoT Link, the coveted Lobster Shirt PJs or the Long Shirt and Swirl Belt tunic from WW, super 'detailed' chainmail for TP/Smash, Classic Tunic or 8-bit.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Would have been a very logical bonus for these figures.

Hastati

I'm glad that these can all be unlocked in the game, makes it easier to keep the amiibos in the packaging and also make the game a bit more fun by forcing you to get the items the hard way.

I may just go for wolf link and leave everything else.

Also I want yarn Yoshi as a skin for your horse, dog, or Ganon or something.

So imagine stepping out of the Cave of Resurrection.

Link has expansion bonus chests' contents: the Switch tunic and two other "useful" items.

Then you scan each amiibo, summoning your prizes to fall from the sky..

8-bit Link: barrels (potentially holding rupees, etc) and a chest.
Toon Link: fish+chest
Toon Zelda: plants+chest
OoT Link: meat+chest

Guardian: magic arrows/ore/mech parts
Bokoblin: clubs
Rider Link: sword/saddle
Zelda: shield
Archer Link: bow

That's quite a nice little boost to your early game..

tumblr_ohkt7rMqRx1ufr0jio1_500.gif
The 30th anniversary only do the other items guaranteed, the chest is a chance item so we don't even know the likelihood of a chest even dropping and that's not even considering the chest drop item being worthless

13ruce

Banned
Ordered 30th anniversary Toon Link and Toon Zelda and Bokoblin and BotW archer Link.

Dunno i don't like the derpy face on the Botw Zelda Amiibo.

And why the bokoblin? Well i think they look kinda nice in BotW and the amiibo looks very good.

The only 2 other Amiibo i have are Wolf Link and Ganondorf lol. Well i am glad the effects are not that big and all items are find able in game.

RPGCrazied

Interesting, if they were going to do this they should have made the items exclusive. If you can get the in the game by not buying these then there is no point in getting them. And can you reuse the sword one when it breaks to get another sword?

Interesting, if they were going to do this they should have made the items exclusive. If you can get the in the game by not buying these then there is no point in getting them. And can you reuse the sword one when it breaks to get another sword?

They're likely once-a-day use items. And they aren't pointless, some people like collecting figures.

And what you said is the exact problem Nintendo faces with amiibo, as we've gone over several times:

1) Lock exclusive content behind them, people shit their pants they have to buy a dumb toy to get it

2) Lock superficial content behind them, people complain they're worthless

As it is now, they're [the BotW amiibo] a "fast pass" to some stuff that's already in the game. That way you don't miss out if you don't buy them, and if you do, you get a nice little bonus.

Personally I think they're cool as hell. I buy them to have official, high-quality figures of Nintendo characters that otherwise would probably NEVER get any sort of merchandise (Smash line specifically). They're not very expensive, they're way easier to find now than they were at the start when Nintendo had no idea how to anticipate the demand (except the Wind Waker 2-pack that seems to be sold out everywhere WTF, was that one store-exclusive or something?), they look cool, and I get a little bonus in certain games for having them.

I don't think we know 100% yet but if Wolf Link is anything to go by, once per day.

So is the amiibo really the only way to have a dog companion in this game ala Fallout 3? If so that is a really cool way to do DLC IMO, as long as they keep it stocked in stores for a while.

So is the amiibo really the only way to have a dog companion in this game ala Fallout 3? If so that is a really cool way to do DLC IMO, as long as they keep it stocked in stores for a while.

You can feed animals and they follow you around, but the only way to get the Wolf Link skin is by tapping the amiibo.

Top Bottom