• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild Amiibo unlocks revealed

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Oh, a couple more questions....

Is there a way to get an amiibo to read without opening the box?

If your Wolf Link in TPHD never beat the cave of Shadows will you still be able to use the amiibo to summon him as a partner?
AFAIK they put foil in between the amiibo and the bottom of the packaging to prevent people from scanning them without opening the box.

Wolf Link defaults to three hearts if you never played TPHD.

maxcriden

AFAIK they put foil in between the amiibo and the bottom of the packaging to prevent people from scanning them without opening the box.

Wolf Link defaults to three hearts if you never played TPHD.

Thanks! That's great, on the Wolf Link front at least. Did you see my earlier q about the dlc?

I would assume he would just have 3 hearts.

Of course. You don't even need to own TPHD.

Thanks to you both as well!

JonnyKong

I realise that people will get pissed off at the withheld content, but I don't see it being any different to withheld content being locked behind dlc, season passes, day one bonuses etc, it's just all locked behind a physical object rather than a digital download.

I know some amiibos used to be difficult to get hold of back in the day which might prove a problem to some people, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

ZeroX03

Banned
I would prefer cool big stuff from amiibo but it's a no win situation for Nintendo, that'd annoy people who don't buy amiibo.

Probably just grab the Archer Link. Not all that interested in the designs in the others and the unlocks aren't cool enough to justify buying the series.

Killthee

Thanks! That's great, on the Wolf Link front at least. Did you see my earlier q about the dlc
Don't think they've said anything other than what was in the video, but it didn't call my attention so I might be wrong.

zeldabotwseasonpass.jpg

maxcriden

Don't think they've said anything other than what was in the video, but it didn't call my attention so I might be wrong.

NP, thanks for the info regardless. I saw somewhere in PR or something that one of the chests is a Switch t-shirt for Link to wear, but hopefully we can find out soon if the other chests that contain useful items make it worth getting the DLC day one.

Edit, found it:

One of these Treasure Chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo which Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...gend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-1191606.html

Dremorak

Banned
The problem with amiibo is its a pandoras box of an unwinnable scenario for Nintendo:

1 -you make the amiibos do worthwhile things
- people complain they need to buy amiibo to do worthwhile thing

2 - you make amiibo give color schemes, one use items, etc
- people complain amiibo dont do anything

The problem with amiibo is its a pandoras box of an unwinnable scenario for Nintendo:

I much prefer the second outrage to be honest. The way that amiibos work in this game is pretty harmless so i'm happy with that.

Wanderer5

Been thinking of checking out least the Zelda amiibo. It is nice to know that you can unlock these stuff in game anyway through.

If I was at Nintendo, I'd make a special Zelda Amiibo that led to her being playable
FOR 30$.

Yukinari

Nintendo can't make them more worth while without pissing people off. You bring up the splatoon amiibo but a lot if people where upset that if you wanted more single player content you had to spend $30 to get more.

The splatoon amiibo really were the best use of it so far but at the same time thats basically 35 bucks for 3 arcade minigames, 3 outfits and 3 reskin weapons.

kunonabi

Well, the people in camp 1 should just be ignored. Pretty simple.

Galang

Banned
Wait... so you can get companions that act similarly to wolf link? If so that's awesome. No need to buy and replay TPHD again for me then. I'm fine with just getting some regular dog as I just enjoy having companions in games in general.

Teuoxton

Scanning Ike should give you a golden claymore (Ragnell).

On topic, I really wish these could be gotten some other way. Maybe a random Amiibo could unlock a random reward? Perhaps there is a sidequest to get Wolf-Link.... nah I'm too hopeful.

Tidalwave

On topic, I really wish these could be gotten some other way. Maybe a random Amiibo could unlock a random reward? Perhaps there is a sidequest to get Wolf-Link.... nah I'm too hopeful.
Why buy amiibo then?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
What's this about wolf link? You get different stuff if you have or have not completed the challenge in Twilight princess?

Killthee

What's this about wolf link? You get different stuff if you have or have not completed the challenge in Twilight princess?
Your can increase wolf link health bar by playing tphd. If you don't play it and summon him using the amiibo, it defaults to 3 hearts.

Bullza2o

I got the guardian amiibo because it looks nice, and I'm pleasantly surprised it's bigger than usual. I probably won't use the in-game stuff though.

Yarbskoo

I'm already planning on picking up most of the amiibo, but I probably won't bother using them on my first play through.

They can all be gotten another way, with the exception of Wolf Link. Weapons degrade with use so this is a short cut. But every item you can get via amiibo can be found/crafted in the game without any amiibo use, again with the exception of Wolf Link.

However, Wolf Link is merely a skin on regular in-game doggos, so his functionality is also still in the base game. As a bonus though if you have his amiibo as well as Twilight Princess HD, you can give him more hearts (starts with 3, goes to 20). We don't yet know if it's possible to add hearts to standard in-game doggos yet, but since IIRC you can add them to horses you can probably also add them to dogs.

I already have the Archer Link and Zelda one... I could see either the Rider Link or the Guardian too.

Hmm any other weirdos actually thinking of buying 4 amiibos?

Wereroku

Alternatively they do number 1 but also have a dlc that people can buy who don't want a gaudy plastic statue. Thus Amiibo's have added value but people aren't forced to buy plastic toys.

They can all be gotten another way, with the exception of Wolf Link. Weapons degrade with use so this is a short cut. But every item you can get via amiibo can be found/crafted in the game without any amiibo use, again with the exception of Wolf Link.

However, Wolf Link is merely a skin on regular in-game doggos, so his functionality is also still in the base game. As a bonus though if you have his amiibo as well as Twilight Princess HD, you can give him more hearts (starts with 3, goes to 20). We don't yet know if it's possible to add hearts to standard in-game doggos yet, but since IIRC you can add them to horses you can probably also add them to dogs.

I am guessing feeding and caring for the in game dogs will give them more hearts.

arlucool

I find the Guardian amiibo to be the most useful; I bet those energy arrows will be hard and rare to come by.
Rider Link has the saddle, so that's neat and Zelda's shield should be convenient for shield surfing, or using your other lesser shields for that and defending with the one the amiibo gives.

jmizzal

I was getting them anyway, but still wont use them in game. Getting them because they look awesome.

They do the same thing the other links and zeldas do:
Tetra zelda is the same as zelda smash
Toon link is toon link
smash link will be the same as ocarina link
etc

Does Ganondorf do anything? I have him

styl3s

Looks like it's time to cancel that Guardian amiibo.

Amiibo's are officially useless and game breaking.
You don't have to use it and for all we know these are nothing more than pre-order like weapons where they become 100% obsolete in a couple of hours. They aren't going to give you OP weapons look at how useless the wolf amiibo is.

And to people worrying about stock and finding them just pre-order them. You only have yourself to blame for not buying something while it's available.

Lucent

We already know that Wolf Link works more or less identically to other companions in the game, so it's mostly cosmetic (on top of him carrying his hearts over from the cave of ordeals).

Hmmm. Guess I should actually play TP HD.

13ruce

Banned
I wonder what happens if you exit the game while Wolf Link is active. I hope he just stays untill he is dead, wich with 20 hearts probably take a while:p

Lucent

I wonder what happens if you exit the game while Wolf Link is active. I hope he just stays untill he is dead, wich with 20 hearts probably take a while:p

Be hilarious if you could go right to the final boss at the start and actually have Wolf Link defeat him.

Zubz

Banned
And yet I won't be able to get my hands on them

I dunno, Nintendo seems to be stocking Amiibo reasonably well, and have been doing for over a year now (Even before they went all-in on Animal Crossing Amiibo that nobody bought, but especially after that). I'm sure these wouldn't be too hard to find, now that the manufactured hype has dried up.

So, this might be a silly question, but I'll ask, anyhow...

Is the wolf not available as a companion unless you have the Wolf Link amiibo? Is it confirmed that there no other way to gain this?

So, this might be a silly question, but I'll ask, anyhow...

Is the wolf not available as a companion unless you have the Wolf Link amiibo? Is it confirmed that there no other way to gain this?

Correct. You can apparently have normal doggo companions, but the Wolf Link amiibo gives it a special Wolf Link skin. Like how there's Mii Racers in Mario Kart but the Smash amiibo give them special skins.

Top Bottom