• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brian Horton (Game Director) leaves Crystal Dynamics, [UPDATE: Joins Infinity Ward]

Well that's a damn shame. Rise of the Tomb Raider was a damn fine game. I guess it's just like Rockstar's Leslie Benzies leaving the company, we'll have to wait and see what kind of impact it will have on their future games.

I'm not even sorry for making that joke. I have no shame. Lol.

Can't wait to play Rise on PC. I loved the reboot.
If nobody would have done it for a few more posts I certainly would have, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw his name.

I also can't wait for the PC version just for the high resolution screens.

What's the betting he and the other guy who recently left will either join a studio under EA or MS, or they'll set themselves up a fair sized independent studio a la Respawn or Insomniac?

The other guy, Darrell Gallagher, was formerly the studio head, not a lead dev. As far as he's concerned, he doesn't factor into where possibly Horton would go next (unless he actually is going to set up a new studio, but I doubt that).

As for where Horton could actually go: I do echo the Naughty Dog sentiment. That second team needs to get going again following the Hennig and Richmond departures in 2014 now UC4's coming to an end with its development. Have Straley and Druckmann work on TLOU2 whilst Horton and whoever as creative director (if I had to guess who'd assume that role post UC4, Josh Scherr?) on a new IP now ND will be done with Uncharted.

Two CD studio heads are gone after RoTR 2 months within its launch... I'm just gonna put it on the table and call it now - Brian Horton & Darrell Gallagher will have formed a new studio under MS within the year.

Two CD studio heads are gone after RoTR 2 months within its launch... I'm just gonna put it on the table and call it now - Brian Horton & Darrell Gallagher will have formed a new studio under MS within the year.

Or Square Enix wasn't happy with how it all turned out, maybe expected a lot more sales? I do remember the crazy sales they expected from TR 2013, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case yet again. What about this all makes you think they will work under MS?

wapplew

So I guess Lara will raid Crystal Dynamics' offices in the next game?

Gi5GxdW.gif

evilr

Banned
So how many more jobs has this exclusivity deal claimed? All while Greenberg and other executives who decided on the deal get to keep theres.

What a shambolic result for everyone involved.

zsynqx

So how many more jobs has this exclusivity deal claimed? All while Greenberg and other executives who decided on the deal get to keep theres.

How do you know this has anything to do with that?

eFKac

Infinity Ward buying up a lot of talent from that area, Naughty Dog, now Crystal Dynamics. They must be offering big money.

I know you are joking, but he is only the art director at IW.

With the exception of Jesse Synder, who's currently the game director of IW ( game designer at CoD : World at War, Halo 4, CoD : Ghost, and currently 2016 CoD), the other creative leads of IW (art, design, and story) were folks who worked on Uncharted, TLoU and Tomb Raider.

Which is the funny part of the whole thing.

Occam

Why do people rarely end up at Nintendo?

Because Nintendo keeps promising to create more new games at the start of each new generation since the year 2000, but then forgets to build new and larger studios. It's a tragic case of bad memory, but you can't fault them for it. They are very old.

Xiao Hu

Because there aren't any Nintendo studios in the west besides Retro and it's located in Texas iirc while most American studios are in cali.

Oh

Because Nintendo keeps promising to create more new games at the start of each new generation since the year 2000, but then forgets to build new and larger studios. It's a tragic case of bad memory, but you can't fault them for it. They are very old.

Ah

Come on dude, I know you're not a fan of MS but we have no reason to think these two members of staff leaving have anything to do with the RotTR exclusivity. Big projects wrap up, and people often leave thereafter. This happens all the time.

Come on dude, I know you're not a fan of MS but we have no reason to think these two members of staff leaving have anything to do with the RotTR exclusivity. Big projects wrap up, and people often leave thereafter. This happens all the time.

If anything, this news is more about IW than anything else.

IW has gone through significant changes in the past year. Merging with Neversoft to become a larger studio, and the aggressive high level hires they've made show that they've really making a large investment onto themselves.

People give IW a lot of shit for Ghost, and deservedly so, but all the subtle nudges in regards to the amount of talent they've hired/changes they've made makes me more interested about 2016's CoD than last year's.

Top Bottom