• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brian Horton (Game Director) leaves Crystal Dynamics, [UPDATE: Joins Infinity Ward]

FelipeMGM

It does sound more like a case of IW and Activision going after great talent than him leaving because of the latest project. Call Of Duty 2016 and 2019 should be bangers

Two CD studio heads are gone after RoTR 2 months within its launch... I'm just gonna put it on the table and call it now - Brian Horton & Darrell Gallagher will have formed a new studio under MS within the year.

That was proven wrong really fast

Megasoum

Banned
Goddamn! That fast?

It's almost as if those two guys each found a new job and then left CD on their own accord after giving their notice like it was announced.

People trying to find some conspiracy theories about stealth firing and stuff like that everywhere is ridiculous. People will leave a studio to go work somewhere else... It happens all the time, even with upper management.

Head.spawn

Getting Druckmann'd seems to be a fitting end after making those Uncharted clones ;p

Absolute savage.
Or Square Enix wasn't happy with how it all turned out, maybe expected a lot more sales? I do remember the crazy sales they expected from TR 2013, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case yet again. What about this all makes you think they will work under MS?

How upset could they be with a great game and sales over a million, an upcoming PC release, PS4 GOTY release down the line and MS probably footing most of the bill for development and all of the marketing (outside of the PS4 release).

Probably not as tragic as a lot of people make it out to be.

zsynqx

This year's CoD might be s good one then huh?

Campaign will hopefully be solid with the new hires, but I am not holding out much hope for the multi. Would love to be wrong, but Ghosts had some pretty shitty map design.

Considering Blops3 botched the one thing Treyarch was doing so well, I somehow doubt that.

?? Black Ops 3 multi was great. If you are talking about SP then yeah it was terrible.

Endo Punk

It's almost as if those two guys each found a new job and then left CD on their own accord after giving their notice like it was announced.

People trying to find some conspiracy theories about stealth firing and stuff like that everywhere is ridiculous. People will leave a studio to go work somewhere else... It happens all the time, even with upper management.

They probably weren't expecting the backlash from the exclusivity deal to be so severe so it's likely they decided back in 2014 to leave as soon as the game was done, before SE gives them more shit for not meeting targets.

cameron

Game Director. Ex-343.
Art Director. Ex-Crystal Dynamics.
Design Director. Ex-Naughty Dog.
Narrative Director. Ex-Naughty Dog.

=P

That's crazy impressive.

So how many more jobs has this exclusivity deal claimed? All while Greenberg and other executives who decided on the deal get to keep theres.

What a shambolic result for everyone involved.

He was Senior Art Director for TR2013 and was promoted to Game Director for Rise. Further promotion available to him at CD may have been for more business and less creative roles. That's not always appealing for art talent. It makes sense to go to another studio for another project. It happens all the time for other career paths in game dev like TD and animation (i.e. junior -> senior -> lead/director -> leave).

So how many more jobs has this exclusivity deal claimed? All while Greenberg and other executives who decided on the deal get to keep theres.

What a shambolic result for everyone involved.

Man you really don't like Aaron do you?

Im not sure why he would lose his job over the exclusivity of that game either, presumably it was up to Phil to decide on the deal, Aaron's job was about promoting the game. MS funded it, it was great and better than TR2013, it sold over a million (in-line with their other titles it seems)... I bet they are quite satisfied with that

John Wick

He did an excellent job on his latest game, it's unfortunate that the corporate decisions diminished his hard work.

Maybe it was them who approached SE to make the game exclusive to MS Xbox One? They seemed to be quite close to MS. It's not coincidence that after delivering such a critical success they have left?

John Wick

Absolute savage.

How upset could they be with a great game and sales over a million, an upcoming PC release, PS4 GOTY release down the line and MS probably footing most of the bill for development and all of the marketing (outside of the PS4 release).

Probably not as tragic as a lot of people make it out to be.

Highly doubt MS footed most of the bill for development. I think I'd be upset if the game only sold a million at the busiest time of year. It could have potentially sold 4-5 million. Now Square gonna have to spend extra money to advertise it's PC and PS4 launches otherwise it'll just go unnoticed among the big releases this holiday season. Square lost out big time as it's damaged the brand and it's lost them sales too.
It's very tragic! That's why heads are rolling!

Highly doubt MS footed most of the bill for development. I think I'd be upset if the game only sold a million at the busiest time of year. It could have potentially sold 4-5 million. Now Square gonna have to spend extra money to advertise it's PC and PS4 launches otherwise it'll just go unnoticed among the big releases this holiday season. Square lost out big time as it's damaged the brand and it's lost them sales too.

I bet many people would be happy for their heads to roll if they ended moving to Activision to VP of development or whatever and also to Infinity Ward to be art director of a COD title with probably infinite resources compared to being at SE

Its possible but perhaps other things just aligned for them to move on.

Head.spawn

Keanu bait.

*/Kicks dog*

Sayers

and as Rise of the Tomb Raider’s Game Director he helped guide Lara on her first tomb raiding expedition.

So they're finally admitting that the 2013 game wasn't really a Tomb Raider game

The thing about Brian Horton's role as Game Director is that he was only in that role since January 2015. In other words, he was in charge of overall game direction for less than a year, and for the larger part of ROTR's development, he was still art director.

Daniel Chayer was the person who was the director for the larger part of ROTR's development, before he left in March 2015 to go to Eidos-Montreal to lead development on an unannounced project.

Brian Horton probably prefers to stay in the art side of the business, but took on temporary leadership in the final sprint of ROTR's development.

Bowler

As much as I don't want a tomb raider vs new raider debate, I'm going in a limb and saying this is a huge loss too CD, and a great pick up too IW

Bsigg12

He won't have anything to do with this year's game. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the team that's beginning to lay the foundation for the next game in their rotation or (hopefully) a whole new project that isn't CoD.

If anything, this news is more about IW than anything else.

IW has gone through significant changes in the past year. Merging with Neversoft to become a larger studio, and the aggressive high level hires they've made show that they've really making a large investment onto themselves.

People give IW a lot of shit for Ghost, and deservedly so, but all the subtle nudges in regards to the amount of talent they've hired/changes they've made makes me more interested about 2016's CoD than last year's.

I don't really play a lot of COD any more, but picked up Advanced Warfare recently and enjoyed the campaign quite a bit. It made me fairly interested in Blops3, but then I saw pretty much everyone saying that they thought it was steaming dogshit. A shame, as Treyarch always seemed to get quite a lot of acclaim for their campaigns.

Well, for one thing he's working in art, and for another it's probably too late to make any significant changes on a game which will be going gold in 9 months.

Will be interesting. Hoping they bounce back from the worst CoD in history. Ghosts.....with AW being the second worst

You really think Advanced Warfare is the second worst in the series? Are you talking about campaign or multiplayer, or both? That's not a sentiment I have heard before. I thought it was a solid campaign, although I'm not really a fan of multiplayer in general.

Dang, Naughty Dog just lost Benson Russell and Eric Monacelli to IW.

Who were these guys?

Top Bottom