• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brickblast U! dev isn´t satisfied with a Nintendolife review.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
From the comments of the Nintendo Life review
Have you been to the miiverse page for this title? The developer keeps telling kids he's working on aaa titles he will only put on the wiiu if they buy this. Lol

I'll bet he shit brickblasts when he saw the low score.

ifCOTmX.gif

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Wow, someone sure is salty. If he can't take criticism, then maybe he shouldn't be making games.

Game looks terrible too, I wouldn't download it if it was free.

We apologize for not delivering GTA 6 for $3.99, in the future we will do our best to live up to your AAA expectations for an indie game that is currently priced on Nintendo eShop at $0.99 cents.

I read the NL review and no where did I see that they were expecting a GTA 6, in fact, they even mentioned some indie games made with Unity that they really liked.

Yasumi

Banned
I just checked out Nintendaan's video of it, and wow it looks bad. I noticed the developer in the comments trying to be totally incognito with a comment like

NexisGamesATX

I love this game! It's only $3.99 too!!!! Thanks for the awesome video!!!

Checked their profile, and good god, I was not prepared for the lack of effort put forth in their trailer for Dance of the Damned. That audio.
http://youtu.be/TWqijDwMMNo

I just checked out Nintendaan's video of it, and wow it looks bad. I noticed the developer in the comments trying to be totally incognito with a comment like

Checked their profile, and good god, I was not prepared for the lack of effort put forth in their trailer for Dance of the Damned. That audio.
http://youtu.be/TWqijDwMMNo

wow
lol sorry for the American Dad in the background! I'll fix it at some point but for now I need sleep.

This is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

Majority of people in the game's Miiverse community (which is really quite small by the way..) seem to dislike the game. A lot of people complaining about glitches too. The developer apparently promised to fix them but we'll see (with all those AAA game promises too lol).

There are a few who seem to actually like the game though.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, that's some serious mis-understanding of what reviews are supposed to be about, here! I'm surprised he didn't complain the review wasn't "objective", ahah!

Koren

I won't talk about the review or the game, but...

I just feel that this review was more one person’s opinion and doesn’t really represent the gaming communities best interest.

I *strongly* disagree on the idea that a review has "to represent the gaming communities best interest".

A review is / should be EXACTLY a "one person's opinion". An honest one, but still something personnal. As soon as you try to put you in other people shoes, it become nonsense and is useless. I'm FAR more interested in "one person's opinion" (and I'll read many of those) than in a virtual opinion that the writer think should be an 'average gamer' take on a game.

I mean, with movies, you get reviews at 1/5 and 5/5 for the same movie most of the time. Nobody cares, it's not an issue. It's just "one person's opinion" on the movie.

That being said, the review can still be unfair and the arguments stupid, and it may be the case here. I'm not taking sides on this. I just disagree on what a review should be : honest, yes, objective (as try-to-speak-for-everyone) definitively NO.

I *strongly* disagree on the idea that a review has "to represent the gaming communities best interest".

A review is / should be EXACTLY a "one person's opinion". An honest one, but still something personnal. As soon as you try to put you in other people shoes, it become nonsense and is useless. I'm FAR more interested in "one person's opinion" (and I'll read many of those) than in a virtual opinion that the writer think should be an 'average gamer' take on a game.

Reviews should take into consideration more factors than just "do I, the writer, like it?".
Or else you get messes like IGNs football manager review.

What the fuck do you think reviews even are?!

Regardless of the game, this "reviews are just one person's opinion" crap is bullshit. They influence people's buying decisions so they're a kind of power - that should come with some degree of responsibility. Not everyone's opinion gets published and read by loads of people and that, you know, makes some difference. Not saying this particular review was bad or whatever and I have no idea about the game, but an "opinion" that gets vetted and published and an opinion that does not are two pretty different things.

So really, stop this "it's just an opinion" crap. It's stupid. These reviews are *published* opinions that have the influence of the entire publication behind it. That's extremely important.

It's all very well putting your opinion across if you think you got an unfair review, but he does a terrible job of defending his game and spends most of that post talking about other things.

Regardless of the game, this "reviews are just one person's opinion" crap is bullshit. They influence people's buying decisions so they're a kind of power - that should come with some degree of responsibility. Not everyone's opinion gets published and read by loads of people and that, you know, makes some difference. Not saying this particular review was bad or whatever and I have no idea about the game, but an "opinion" that gets vetted and published and an opinion that does not are two pretty different things.

So really, stop this "it's just an opinion" crap. It's stupid. These reviews are *published* opinions that have the influence of the entire publication behind it. That's extremely important.

Read multiple reviews, form your own opinion, check metacritic if there is a consensus and the one review you didn't like was an outlier (or not).

Problem solved. Reviews are opinions and should vary much more than they currently do, imo.

Read multiple reviews, form your own opinion, check metacritic if there is a consensus and the one review you didn't like was an outlier (or not).

Problem solved. Reviews are opinions and should vary much more than they currently do, imo.

That's what I do, obviously, but that does not change the fact that if there's a publication behind you, you have to be responsible and do more than just write down your "opinion". I'm not talking about myself and my own game buying decisions. I'm talking about what a review is and whether it is more than just an "opinion". It's pretty obvious that in the real world, the "opinion" of someone working for IGN or Gamespot or whatever will be more powerful than mine, no? So obviously they have to be more responsible than me when they review a game, no? Which btw, they clearly attempt to be. Of course there is subjectivity in every review, and there's nothing wrong with that, but that's also not what I'm talking about.

MicH

Wait... Are you the developer?

Yes? and if a game is shitty they have a right to tell people about it.

What the fuck is up with all these weird indie Nintendo dev? Making a "working" game and releasing on the eshop it isn't enough, put some thoughts in your design and add at least a bit of juicing and polish. I haven't played the game but from the video I can't disagree with Nintendo Life's review, it looks like a basic prototype.

This reminds me of this guy that posted his kickstarter for an upcoming WiiU game on reddit. Everyone told him the game looked bad so he cancelled his kickstarter and said "go fuck yourself" to every single comment in the post with a link to this video

That's what I do, obviously, but that does not change the fact that if there's a publication behind you, you have to be responsible and do more than just write down your "opinion". I'm not talking about myself and my own game buying decisions. I'm talking about what a review is and whether it is more than just an "opinion". It's pretty obvious that in the real world, the "opinion" of someone working for IGN or Gamespot or whatever will be more powerful than mine, no? So obviously they have to be more responsible than me when they review a game, no? Which btw, they clearly attempt to be. Of course there is subjectivity in every review, and there's nothing wrong with that, but that's also not what I'm talking about.

I don't get your point at all to be honest.

Wait... Are you the developer?

The only reason I can take offense with the "reviews are just opinions" bullshit is because I'm the developer of a possibly crap game?

Yes? and if a game is shitty they have a right to tell people about it.

Who said anything else? I was just talking about why a review published in a magazine is clearly not the same as a simple "opinion". And it is actually completely obvious that most big publications do NOT handle them as simple opinions but demand a degree of "professionalism" and even "objectivity" from their reviewers.

I don't get your point at all to be honest.

It's simple: if your review gets published and the publication enables you to spread your "opinion" to many people, influencing them, you have a higher degree of responsibility than someone just stating their private opinion. And of course publications actually recognise this, which is why they try to employ people who know what they're talking about. This does not mean that a review cannot be subjective, it just means that when you get the power to influence people, you should use it with some degree of responsibility. It's just that the "reviews are just opinions" crap pisses me off. It actually degrades the work as a whole.

RalchAC

I won't talk about the review or the game, but...

I don't agree with that. If you're a journalist you have a responsibility. Your personal opinion may affect other people decisions.

You can't do a really negative review because you just don't like the game. If you do that you're not better than the average blogger (even if you're more polite). You need to keep your mind cold and try to empathise with your audience. Niche =/= Bad.

A core oriented game like Souls shouldn't get a bad review because X or Y reviewer don't like it. You must know what it is, what people expects and try to do a good job informing about how the game is. If you hate it and you're not able to get into the game for whatever reason and you're going to give a too biased review, ask for an exchange to some of your coworkers.

It's obvious you can't go full objective with a review. Not asking it. But there should be a big difference between a LTTP on GAF and a professional review. That may not be the case here, not saying it is. I haven't played, followed, or have any interest in the game so I can't give a solid opinion about it. But as a general opinion, mine is what I've written above.

When you write in media, you're not only giving your opinion, you're providing a service to your audience. And I think that's an important factor.

That letter looks like a rant because somebody hurt his ego though.

test_account

XP-39C²

While true that many people listen to reviews and that can influence they buying decisions as you mention, its people's free will if they want to listen to a review or not. The "problem" (to put it like that) is when people take reviews, especially just looking at a review score, as facts. I'm not saying that you do it, i'm just generally speaking. Reviews arent facts, they are indeed just people's opinion. I would only blame a reviewer if he/she is saying things that are objectively wrong, or have some bias for or against something.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I enjoy that he can now 'record and render' gameplay at 1080p@60fps.

full FMV WiiU game confirmed?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oh, this game. The 3ds and Wii U eshop have so many of these bizarrely awful indie games that look as if they come from the PC fringe development world circa 1999.

The developer's comments on Miiverse make me suspect the reason for this, is these people think dumb kids on their Nintendos are likely to buy their poor games. It's iOS spam strategy.

Sendou

All this shovelware crap is just making my head hurt. Don't people have any reservations releasing this kind of stuff under their name?

Top Bottom