• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brickblast U! dev isn´t satisfied with a Nintendolife review.

Koren

Great journalists don't just "state the facts". That's a misconception. In fact, there is no journalist who just "states the facts". They always select what facts to state, what pov to look at them from, what words they use to describe them. And in fact the biggest paid "professionals" are the most ideological.
I was probably misunderstood with the "usually"... I agree with you. At the very least, they indeed choose the facts they report, and present them in their way, with their words, indeed.

What I meant is that journalists and critics are two different jobs to me. Both respectable, but not with the same mechanics.

I don't agree with that. If you're a journalist you have a responsibility. Your personal opinion may affect other people decisions.

You can't do a really negative review because you just don't like the game. If you do that you're not better than the average blogger (even if you're more polite). You need to keep your mind cold and try to empathise with your audience. Niche =/= Bad.

A core oriented game like Souls shouldn't get a bad review because X or Y reviewer don't like it. You must know what it is, what people expects and try to do a good job informing about how the game is. If you hate it and you're not able to get into the game for whatever reason and you're going to give a too biased review, ask for an exchange to some of your coworkers.

It's obvious you can't go full objective with a review. Not asking it. But there should be a big difference between a LTTP on GAF and a professional review. That may not be the case here, not saying it is. I haven't played, followed, or have any interest in the game so I can't give a solid opinion about it. But as a general opinion, mine is what I've written above.

When you write in media, you're not only giving your opinion, you're providing a service to your audience. And I think that's an important factor.

That letter looks like a rant because somebody hurt his ego though.
Then what's the point in reviews at all if you can't give an honest review? Your logic basically says all "core" games should get high marks and great reviews? What?

Maybe they are, when excellent games like ZombiU get very poor scores I question the system.

Not everyone likes the same games. It's not a hard concept to understand.

Don’t get me wrong as I have no problem accepting criticism I just feel that this review was more one person’s opinion and doesn’t really represent the gaming communities best interest.

Aren't all reviews just "one persons opinion"? Isn't that sort of the point?

Shiggy

Normally, you need to deduct 1-2 points of a NintendoLife review to get a proper assessment of a game's quality. Seeing footage of Brickblast U!, it's probably the same for that game.

Then what's the point in reviews at all if you can't give an honest review? Your logic basically says all "core" games should get high marks and great reviews? What?

He clearly doesn't. He's basically just saying that people who have only played Bejeweled before shouldn't review Dark Souls (there's no problem if they can provide a worthwhile second opinion though, while being open about their background, it can be pretty interesting).

But the scoring system widely accepted - and even used to determine bonuses - by the industry still reduces this complexity to a single one-dimensional percentage.

To put it simply: a video game reviewer should not be able to hide their incompetence, inexperience or bias (or even simple mistake) behind this "reviews are just opinions" crap. Yeah they have opinions but you should also know what you're talking about. Mistakes are unavoidable but no one should pretend they don't exist. Not really that complicated. If someone reviews a game and, say, they cannot find an objective because they couldn't be bothered to look at the in-game map and continue to shit on the game, they should certainly come out and apologise for making a mistake in the review. And if they continue to be an ass and never even acknowledge their mistake, it's still ok, because it's just an opinion?

He clearly doesn't. He's basically just saying that people who have only played Bejeweled before shouldn't review Dark Souls (there's no problem if they can provide a worthwhile second opinion though, while being open about their background, it can be pretty interesting).
He straight up says "you can't give Dark Souls a bad review because you don't like it".

But the scoring system widely accepted - and even used to determine bonuses - by the industry still reduces this complexity to a single one-dimensional percentage.

To put it simply: a video game reviewer should not be able to hide their incompetence, inexperience or bias (or even simple mistake) behind this "reviews are just opinions" crap. Yeah they have opinions but you should also know what you're talking about. Mistakes are unavoidable but no one should pretend they don't exist. Not really that complicated. If someone reviews a game and, say, they cannot find an objective because they couldn't be bothered to look at the in-game map and continue to shit on the game, they should certainly come out and apologise for making a mistake in the review. And if they continue to be an ass and never even acknowledge their mistake, it's still ok, because it's just an opinion?
That's the industry's problem, not game reviewers. I don't think I've personally read a review about a game in years but reviewers can't give reviews that are basically "I didn't like this game, it bored me for 20 hours here's why but I'm giving it an 8 because some people will like it". I'm not talking about mistake, they're amateurish and shouldn't be in any respectable reviews, but reviews are in essence one person's reaction (let's not say opinion) to a game. That reaction may be "this game wasn't very intuitive and objectives were hard to understand" which is an absolute 100% valid criticism. Now it may not matter to you or me who are balls deep in tough games, but it does matter to a lot of people. That doesn't automatically make a review a bad review it means that this game may not be suitable for new players.

Now on the other hand if you have a "core" gamer reviewing a game that has a lot of handholding and he goes into detail about that, is that a mistake? Just because that one reviewer hates handholding and games that show objectives straight up and show the way? Is his reaction any more credible? No. Different gamers like different games and system. Same thing goes for reviewers as they are at the end of the day, gamers.

SURGEdude

Damn those judgmental reviewers for their bias and dispensing their opinions about a product I'm asking for money in return to play. Some people are just too unrefined to get what I was going for. My game is there in a long line of with misunderstood landmarks of personal expression and creative triumph right next to the macarena and swatting random strangers on the net. I outside the box man, and I pity you all.

A review should be totally non-biased and based only on indisputable facts, like a basic description of the sounds and colors that come from the TV once you hit play. Once you get past that point and actually engage and play, you are likely just looking for things to complain about like "bugs" ( charming quirks!), so-called "bad gameplay" (unique innovative experiences!), the like.

Oh and if your save got corrupted don't immediately blame me! How about to do a little introspection and come to understand that the game was trying to let you know that you just weren't coming into the experience with the an open mind. So a fresh start was just what you needed.

We all know opinion is really just a codeword for rudely inserting your personal concept of value taste onto someone else's vision. Just because you payed for it doesn't mean you can pretend like you have a right to complain about somebody else's carefully crafted 99c software masterwork.

You know who was the biggest reviewer and opinion pusher in in history!?Hitler. Oh yeah, didn't think about that did you? Yup he was a really judgmental guy all right. Why would you want to be like him? First you start judging small impulse buy gaming purchases on WiiU, next thing you know you are pushing people into the gas chambers.

Why would anybody who says my game "lame" or "broken" not be able to understand that they are descending into evil with every sale they discourage. Might as well just be burning copies of the game- like you know who- if you think its just fine telling people to avoid buying my title at all costs.

Shame on all of you. Meanies!

test_account

XP-39C²
As far as I know, content producers consider this power to have a quite objective existence and sometimes even do immoral stuff to use it (paying off reviewers eg.) This power exists and can be misused, even if it can be counteracted to some degree on an individual level.
Yeah, that is because people give the reviews that power. That is what i ment in my first post when i say that this is the "problem", people basically take reviews as fact.

No, a game review is not just - or even mainly - "telling if the reviewer finds a game fun or not to play". It should put the game into its "historical" context (whether there are expected features missing or if there's anything new in the game), provide evaluation on the technical side (graphics, controls etc), talk about how - or whether - it relates to other games in the genre etc. I certainly want to know whether a reviewer liked a particular game or not (and if they actually like the genre and its other games in general) but that's because people have fun with different things and I have to understand the reasons why the reviewer is having fun (or not); their personal preferences are only important because they allow me to try to "translate" their evaluation to myself. If this makes any sense.
True, but all of those things leads to one question, is the game fun to play or not. A review is there to ultimately tell you if a game is fun or not to play. That is what i ment when i said what a review's main goal is.

Sure, someone who hates driving games probably shouldnt review a driving game (nothing wrong with reviewing it, but then you know automatically that this person will most likely have some bias against the game), i agree. On the other hand though, if a guy loves driving games, that person is most likely to have bias for the game. It makes sense what you're saying and i see what your point is, but its exactly that "translation" i'm trying to point out, that this "translation" can have a lot of different interpretations. Or in other words, there is no key answer to it and it falls back on personal opinions. That is why i think that game reviews are ulimately one person's personal opinion. I have disagreed with several of things that are written in certain reviews, but i'm just talking about if a review should decide for you to buy a game or not.

He straight up says "you can't give Dark Souls a bad review because you don't like it".

Why don't you read the rest of his post? I think he explains what he means pretty clearly. You should try to understand what people mean instead of nitpicking single sentences.

That's the industry's problem, not game reviewers.

Large publications are part of the industry. They are paid for by the industry ffs.

I don't think I've personally read a review about a game in years but reviewers can't give reviews that are basically "I didn't like this game, it bored me for 20 hours here's why but I'm giving it an 8 because some people will like it".

The most important part of a review is what you shortened to two (three?) words: "here's why". If you understand your own biases and why you didn't like it and you also understand why most other people would like it, so if you think your own reaction will be different to the majority's and understand why it will be, it makes a lot of sense to either a) let someone else review the game or b) honestly compensate for your own personal preferences and bias in the score. I think good reviewers can - and do - do this. They know their own biases and admit them and compensate for them in some way (maybe by not reviewing the game, asking for second opinions, playing more than they generally do etc., not just simply adding one or two to the final score).

I'm not talking about mistake, they're amateurish and shouldn't be in any respectable reviews, but reviews are in essence one person's reaction (let's not say opinion) to a game. That reaction may be "this game wasn't very intuitive and objectives were hard to understand" which is an absolute 100% valid criticism. Now it may not matter to you or me who are balls deep in tough games, but it does matter to a lot of people. That doesn't automatically make a review a bad review it means that this game may not be suitable for new players.

Reviews also clearly strive to have a more or less "objective" methodology to provide information about quality. (A bit OT: sometimes this methodology focuses on the more "objectively measurable" technical quality points, graphics etc, and this can also cause problems.) Good reviewers compare games to other games in a genre and try to understand if people liked them and what particular points people liked about a game and give relevant comparisons. They certainly don't just say "hey I liked it" and finish with that. So a good reviewer, in the case you mentioned, could just say "there's not enough/too much handholding which will make the game too difficult/easy for some people". They can and *should* know this. They should know what degree of handholding games in a given genre have and whether people like/need it etc. They should be conscious about these issues and shouldn't just compress them into a personal opinion. That's their job, afaik. They should try to understand how a feature they personally like or dislike effects other players and not just evaluate the game based on whether they personally liked it or not. Who cares about that?

Now on the other hand if you have a "core" gamer reviewing a game that has a lot of handholding and he goes into detail about that, is that a mistake? Just because that one reviewer hates handholding and games that show objectives straight up and show the way? Is his reaction any more credible? No. Different gamers like different games and system. Same thing goes for reviewers as they are at the end of the day, gamers.

And because they have a degree of power (to influence sales eg.), they should be aware of it and act responsibly. They are not just gamers because they were given a degree of "power" by being able to publish in publications that lot of people read. So they should understand their own shortcomings and try to compensate for them and not hide their mistakes behind "it's all just an opinion" crap. Because it's clearly not JUST an opinion in the same way a gamefaqs review is.

And again: look at good journalists. They understand this very well and act on it.

Yeah, that is because people give the reviews that power. That is what i ment in my first post when i say that this is the "problem", people basically take reviews as fact.

That's way more complex and it's not just about "people" (I guess you mean the consumers).

True, but all of those things leads to one question, is the game fun to play or not. A review is there to ultimately tell you if a game is fun or not to play. That is what i ment when i said what a review's main goal is.

Errr, the answer I'm looking for is not mainly whether the reviewer had fun with it or not. I don't care about that. What I'm interested in is whether *I* will have fun with it and for that, I must know stuff about both the game and the reviewer.

Sure, someone who hates driving games probably shouldnt review a driving game (nothing wrong with reviewing it, but then you know automatically that this person will most likely have some bias against the game), i agree. On the other hand though, if a guy loves driving games, that person is most likely to have bias for the game. It makes sense what you're saying and i see what your point is, but its exactly that "translation" i'm trying to point out, that this "translation" can have a lot of different interpretations. Or in other words, there is no key answer to it and it falls back on personal opinions. That is why i think that game reviews are ulimately one person's personal opinion.

"Ultimately" they include their opinion, but they also need to be more - they need to contain enough information and background and comparisons so that *the reader* of the review can decide whether the game will be fun *for them*. Reviews should provide information that help people determine whether they themselves will enjoy the game or not. That's not just a simple opinion - it includes knowledge of the genre, what fans of the genre are looking for in a particular game, even what people who aren't fans may or may not enjoy etc. Whether the reviewer liked the game or not is completely unimportant, except if it helps me answer this question.

Why don't you read the rest of his post? I think he explains what he means pretty clearly. You should try to understand what people mean instead of nitpicking single sentences.

Large publications are part of the industry. They are paid for by the industry ffs.

The most important part of a review is what you shortened to two (three?) words: "here's why". If you understand your own biases and why you didn't like it and you also understand why most other people would like it, so if you think your own reaction will be different to the majority's and understand why it will be, it makes a lot of sense to either a) let someone else review the game or b) honestly compensate for your own personal preferences and bias in the score. I think good reviewers can - and do - do this. They know their own biases and admit them and compensate for them in some way (maybe by not reviewing the game, asking for second opinions, playing more than they generally do etc., not just simply adding one or two to the final score).

Reviews also clearly strive to have a more or less "objective" methodology to provide information about quality. (A bit OT: sometimes this methodology focuses on the more "objectively measurable" technical quality points, graphics etc, and this can also cause problems.) Good reviewers compare games to other games in a genre and try to understand if people liked them and what particular points people liked about a game and give relevant comparisons. They certainly don't just say "hey I liked it" and finish with that. So a good reviewer, in the case you mentioned, could just say "there's not enough/too much handholding which will make the game too difficult/easy for some people". They can and *should* know this. They should know what degree of handholding games in a given genre have and whether people like/need it etc. They should be conscious about these issues and shouldn't just compress them into a personal opinion. That's their job, afaik. They should try to understand how a feature they personally like or dislike effects other players and not just evaluate the game based on whether they personally liked it or not. Who cares about that?

And because they have a degree of power (to influence sales eg.), they should be aware of it and act responsibly. They are not just gamers because they were given a degree of "power" by being able to publish in publications that lot of people read. So they should understand their own shortcomings and try to compensate for them and not hide their mistakes behind "it's all just an opinion" crap. Because it's clearly not JUST an opinion in the same way a gamefaqs review is.

And again: look at good journalists. They understand this very well and act on it.

You know we're pretty much saying the same thing under different guises. Bad reviewers suck and need to be stopped haha. I was only nitpicking because that sentence was so unbelievably absurd. (Well written) Reviews can't be written off just because you disagree with them.

Edit cause I had to run before finishing the post: I don't think reviews can exist without a degree of opinion, a game can be highly competent but boring, on the flip side as you say reviews can't be solely opinion based disregarding objectiveness.

So?

Most "large publications" with any sense of ethics have clearly defined separations of their editorial/review writing staff and the advertising/money people. This is to protect the writing staff to be able to voice their opinions freely without fear of reciprocation from the developers/publishers that pay them for advertisements.

If that DOESN'T happen you end up with stuff like Jeff Gerstman getting fired over a negative review which is something we DON'T want to see in the industry.

So?

Most "large publications" with any sense of ethics have clearly defined separations of their editorial/review writing staff and the advertising/money people. This is to protect the writing staff to be able to voice their opinions freely without fear of reciprocation from the developers/publishers that pay them for advertisements.

If that DOESN'T happen you end up with stuff like Jeff Gerstman getting fired over a negative review which is something we DON'T want to see in the industry.

Well, I just stated a pretty obvious fact :-/ And of course the writing staff can be influenced in other ways than just simple direct intimidation (which can easily backfire). Just like in "real" journalism, the mechanism is mostly filter-based. And just like in "real" journalism, the video game industry and video game journalism are certainly not separate and independent at all and no "sense of ethics" will change that in any meaningful way as long as their existence depens on ads from the industry.

You know we're pretty much saying the same thing under different guises. Bad reviewers suck and need to be stopped haha. I was only nitpicking because that sentence was so unbelievably absurd. (Well written) Reviews can't be written off just because you disagree with them.

Yep, and the problem is mostly the end score and the one-dimensional one-size-fits-all scoring system. So people often don't even read reviews :-/

Crom

2/10, it better be a broken mess.

It reminds me a little of gamespot's 4.5/10 for ZombiU. Silly scores for silly reasons.

That Zombi U score was incompetence by the reviewer. It turned a lot of people away from the game. I remember almost not picking it up because after reading it I though it would be another Red Steele. It actually was a very solid survival horror game and was actually the most fun I had with a game that year.

test_account

XP-39C²
That's way more complex and it's not just about "people" (I guess you mean the consumers).
What do you find complex about it? Everyone decide how much they want to trust a review or not, its not much more to it than that actually.

Yes, people are consumers and consumers are people, whats the difference in this context? We're talking about how people/consumers are viewing reviews, arent we?

Errr, the answer I'm looking for is not mainly whether the reviewer had fun with it or not. I don't care about that. What I'm interested in is whether *I* will have fun with it and for that, I must know stuff about both the game and the reviewer.

"Ultimately" they include their opinion, but they also need to be more - they need to contain enough information and background and comparisons so that *the reader* of the review can decide whether the game will be fun *for them*. Reviews should provide information that help people determine whether they themselves will enjoy the game or not. That's not just a simple opinion - it includes knowledge of the genre, what fans of the genre are looking for in a particular game, even what people who aren't fans may or may not enjoy etc. Whether the reviewer liked the game or not is completely unimportant, except if it helps me answer this question.
Sure, i'm not saying that a review is, or should be, simply about an opinion if the game is fun or not, just to point that out. I agree to that. A lot of reviews gives description of the game, like what type of game modes it has and stuff like that, and maybe compare it to other games in the same genre etc., definitelly. But my arguement is that game reviews today are heavily opinion based. For example, a reviewer can write "the levels are big and nice to look at. You can do some exploring, but the levels are usually dull to walk through". In this way, the reader gets to know that the levels are big, but everything else in that sentense is opinion based. The reviewer has no way of knowing if the reader will find the levels dull to walk through, this is something that will variate from person to person.

Another example is that one reviewer might write "if you like racing games, you might like this game", while another reviewer might write "if you've played many racing games, you might not like this game that much". Here we have different opinions about if the reader might enjoy the game or not. Overall, this means that reviews are heavily opinion based. Do you see what i mean?

The things that i mentioned here is why i rather check out Youtube etc. and read fact sheets about games. I think that gives me a better idea how the game looks and what type of features it has =)

Arcadehero

Neo Member
I'm sick of the scoring system. I'd love reviews to have no score system, but they they wouldn't get on Metacritic and lose money.

Agreed, review scoring feels arbitrary. What is the difference between a 1/2/3/4/5/etc other than a vague 'gut feeling'? Since most reviewers don't lay out the boundaries for what differentiates scores in the first place, you have to hope they can articulate the nuances within the review (doesn't always happen) or simply guess at why their feelings made them pick one number over the other.

That's where I enjoy reviews by people like Mark from ClassicGameRoom. No scores, you just have to pay attention to what he shows and what he says about it.

I think that's a different PC version, this is the WiiU one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5chAYEk2GIo
Edit: Beaten!

LeonardGreenland2 months ago

How much it cost?
Reply ·

NexisGamesATX2 months ago

It's $3.99 and very fun!

Going to someone elses youtube channel to sell your game in the comments section is kinda... Greasy? I dunno just feels wierd to me.

The point about the manual is legit though. A lot of people don't even know there's a e-manual in all 3DS/Wii U games. Kotaku even made an article praising how practical it is to browse manuals on Wii U games.

If you need to read a manual to figure something out about a game, the game is probably doing something wrong.

I know two people in my circle of friend who rate it as one of the best games they've ever played. These are 30-something gaming vets. I just can't see that jiving with a 4.5 score. A review has to be more than a personal opinion, it has to be a, somewhat, objective assessment of merit.

As long as the reviewer isn't biased, imo no it doesn't need to be objective at all.

Vagabundo

That Zombi U score was incompetence by the reviewer. It turned a lot of people away from the game. I remember almost not picking it up because after reading it I though it would be another Red Steele. It actually was a very solid survival horror game and was actually the most fun I had with a game that year.

I know two people in my circle of friend who rate it as one of the best games they've ever played. These are 30-something gaming vets. I just can't see that jiving with a 4.5 score. A review has to be more than a personal opinion, it has to be a, somewhat, objective assessment of merit.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What, you mean this isn't a day 1 purchase for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ElNfSg5pA

Is this a kickstarter? I only ask because there is literally no other reason a developer should be putting early-stage video of their game like this on Youtube before release. Unless for some reason the developer thinks this is impressive and indicative of how the final game should be looking. Otherwise, keep that shit under wraps until you are doing some post-mortem and want to show the curious just what the game used to look like.

Sify64

If you need to read a manual to figure something out about a game, the game is probably doing something wrong.
But isn't that the whole point of manuals, so that people can find out the controls and any important information for the game. However, it is also true that the reviewer shouldn't need to check the manuals before playing, as long as the game was done right.

Sendou

But isn't that the whole point of manuals, so that people can find out the controls and any important information for the game. However, it is also true that the reviewer shouldn't need to check the manuals before playing, as long as the game was done right.

I don't know. Just about every good game I've ever played doesn't require you to look at manual because it's all in the game. Player is eased into the mechanics. Not including very complex games of course but that is hardly the case here.

Sify64

I don't know. Just about every good game I've ever played doesn't require you to look at manual because it's all in the game. Player is eased into the mechanics. Not including very complex games of course but that is hardly the case here.
I agree that good games don't need to use manuals to teach players. But to this day even those good games still come with electronic manuals, so I think there must be a specific audience/ reason (probably tiny) for the inclusion. Otherwise, most companies would have just cut it out entirely.

Just go to GameFAQs and see how amazing people's questions can be.

I'm not defending BBU, but NL's review scores for anything means jack shit to me since Witch and Hero. One of the most fun Tower Defense games I've ever played.

Seemed like the reviewer didn't even play it.

RalchAC

I disagree to some degree.

The only think you HAVE to do is stay honest. You can't say "it doesn't work" because you didn't take the time to read the manual. Or criticize an aspect of the story that you didn't understand just because you lack the background needed to understand it. In this case, you have to do some research.

But I really think that "I didn't find the game enjoyable" is far better than trying to guess if others people will like it. Honestly: you don't have a clue.

Yes, you can say you didn't find the game all that enjoyable. And you should give the reasons why you find it this way. The people that doesn't like the game is part of your audience too, so giving reasons why you may not like (or just the flaws in the game, no matter if you mind them or not).

I'd say the eurogamer Destiny review is quite good. They tell the good and bad things about the game despite his tastes. Finding the sweet spot between opinion, facts and appealing to the different sides.

With honesty and critical thinking (which is/should be boosted in any Journalism Degree) you should be able to achieve what I'm talking about.

And if you don't like the kind of game you're testing, either be honest with this from the start, or refuse to test it. If you're REALLY accustomed to a genre, be honest about it too.

(and by the way, I don't think critics are journalists... not just for videogames, critics in general. Journalists usually states the facts. Critics and columnist express an opinion. Or at least, that's my take on it)

Cold, I agree.

Maybe the problem is that in gaming the line is too thin. If you go to film critics, you usually have a important personality that just writes a piece each week.

And there is the fact that usually in films people rely more in word of mouth than in videogames. And sometimes marketing, obviously.

In books it's the same but with a really smaller amount of marketing.

The thing here is that, for some reason, gamming is not there yet. Maybe it's a combination of price and it being a smaller market (in terms of nº of people, not revenue)

Niche =/= Bad, even more.

I'm just saying that, while trying to be honest and thinking about your readers, you shouldn't try to guess what others people will like/dislike.

I agree, even if I still think that reading why you disliked it may be more informative for some readers than reading bland praising of the game of someone else.

You should probably read several reviews, not rely on one. Or read a review of a reviewer that you know will share most of your views.

I think if you're honest, you should be able to usually find what is good (or even great about something) in most cases. Unless you absolutely hate it, but then you'll be honest if you politely ask for a coworker to exchange it for a game in his list.

And I agree with the fact that you should read more than 1 review, in the same way it'd be nice if people read more than 1 newspaper (since most of them if not all take a position). But, sadly, we can't expect that this is going to happen. So trying to have a review that is as complete as posible is your best bet.

Overall, I don't think our views are so different, in fact.

Nope, I think there are mainly different in wording and all that. Our opinions are not equal (i'd be worried if they were!) but we agree in more than we disagree.

I've put it above. Honesty and critical thinking are key in journalism. And you need to be honest not only with your own opinions, but with your audience. Saying a game is bad, clunky and you don't understand how the hell did it past QA because you don't like it may be honest with your opinions, but you're not being honest with the people that read you and might never play a game they could like because you choose to write a rant.

In the same way, saying a flawed game (let's say Tales of Xillia 2, which I loved, by the way) is awesome, a 9.5/10, GOTY material, OMG you all buy it or I'll chase in you in your dreams is as bad. It's ok to love something, you may be honest to yourself saying you love it.

But you're not being honest to your audience since you're ignoring the many flaws the game has. Like the reused assets, the debt system (who wasn't an annoyance to me at all, but could annoy others) or the bad dungeon design. People could buy the game and find that they can't get into the game due to some of those reasons above.

Even if I love the game and it could end up being one of my 10 favorites JRPGs ever, I wouldn't put it a 10/10 if I was writting a profesional review.

Thanks for understanding and defending my opinion. That's what I was talking about.

A video game reviewer should not be able to hide their incompetence, inexperience or bias (or even simple mistake) behind this "reviews are just opinions" crap. Yeah they have opinions but you should also know what you're talking about. Mistakes are unavoidable but no one should pretend they don't exist. Not really that complicated. If someone reviews a game and, say, they cannot find an objective because they couldn't be bothered to look at the in-game map and continue to shit on the game, they should certainly come out and apologise for making a mistake in the review. And if they continue to be an ass and never even acknowledge their mistake, it's still ok, because it's just an opinion?

And I agree with this part too.

I haven't played Dark Souls. That should tell you everything. It was an example. I took a game that gaming enthusiasts often like but is different enough from the norm to make some controversy.

And I precisely choose something I haven't played because I wanted to avoid that kind of reaction. Maybe I should have put it on my original post. Whatever.

That's the industry's problem, not game reviewers. I don't think I've personally read a review about a game in years but reviewers can't give reviews that are basically "I didn't like this game, it bored me for 20 hours here's why but I'm giving it an 8 because some people will like it". I'm not talking about mistake, they're amateurish and shouldn't be in any respectable reviews, but reviews are in essence one person's reaction (let's not say opinion) to a game. That reaction may be "this game wasn't very intuitive and objectives were hard to understand" which is an absolute 100% valid criticism. Now it may not matter to you or me who are balls deep in tough games, but it does matter to a lot of people. That doesn't automatically make a review a bad review it means that this game may not be suitable for new players.

Do you know what's critical thinking? It's like the most important thing you need if you want to be a journalist.

You may not like something, and it's cool. You should say why you don't like something, since there probably is plenty of people that have similar tastes to you and you need to serve them.

But you can't just stop there. Even if I hate Monster Hunter I can't say it's shit. I can say why I hate it, that's ok. But you're doing a service to both the people that won't and the people that will like Monster Hunter. So giving both sides is important.

Journalism are supposed to give a service to their audience.

But a reviewer is not a gamer. Is a profesional. His articles craft other peoples opinion. That's a responsibility.

But instead of just writting another wall of text, I'll drop this review here. It's Eurogamer Destiny review. I think it's quite a good example of how I think reviews should be. Ignore the final score. Just read it.

I think you'll get my opinion better after reading it.

vBwyT41.png

3bcltTI.png

"AAA"
tumblr_mwos77qaIO1ra11u8o8_400.gif

Seen a YT description stating he was legally blind. Umm.... If that's the case, I feel bad putting him down despite the hilarious output.

Top Bottom