• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Budget deal reached in Congress- No funding for border wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

shem935

Banned
As the title says a bipartisan budget deal seems to have been reached. Multiple sources:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/30/budget-deal-congress-shutdown-237822

The deal delivers $15 billion in new defense spending to fight terrorism sought by President Donald Trump, with $2.5 billion of that contingent on Trump presenting a strategy to defeat the Islamic State to Congress, the aides said. It also distributes $1.5 billion in new border security spending aimed at repairing existing infrastructure and increasing technology, though it does not allocate any new money to a Southern border wall with Mexico despite the president's insistence.

Democrats were seeking a permanent commitment to funding Obamacare's subsidies for low-income Americans' insurance as well as more money to fill Puerto Rico's Medicaid coffers; instead the Trump administration is only indefinitely funding the Obamacare subsidies and Puerto Rico's Medicaid solution mostly relies on redistributing existing accounts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/congress-reaches-deal-to-keep-government-open-through-september/2017/04/30/5f58e9d2-2df7-11e7-9dec-764dc781686f_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_spendingdeal-945pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.0dcab521ee98

Basic rundown
-No wall
-Increased funding for NIH
-Indefinite payment extension for ACA
-More money for border security

I'm tired of winning if old

UPDATE: Per Bloomberg: Notably, agencies Trump has sought to eliminate, like the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Appalachian Regional Commission, would get modest increases in funding instead.

Seems to be a all-around maintaining of budget course for the time being, with the GOP likely believing they will have the political capital to make cuts aligning to the White House's framework at the end of the fiscal year once this budget expires.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Also Planned Parenthood funded; sanctuary cities get cash; more for defense. Resistance does indeed work.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
If he hasn't already, can't wait to read more Trump tweets about the "failing" checks and balances of the government hindering his ability to ram through his campaign promises.

Snaku

Banned
img_5521nbjid.gif

sangreal

This a Democrat win? Looks like it but I'm still shell shocked

there is something to like and something to dislike for everyone

except Trump and Ryan

do note that "indefinite" is meant to be taken literally -- we don't know how long before Trump starts his threats up again

Here's hoping that 1.5 bill for border security isn't shifted into some border wall account. Other than my concern there, this seems pretty rosy.

edit: Billion--I can't read.

Meowster

Really (pleasantly) shocked. Ryan and Trump take an L. I was worried there would be a government shutdown and my job would be at risk. Glad this seemed to work out for everyone... for now.

KarmaCow

Democrats were seeking a permanent commitment to funding Obamacare's subsidies for low-income Americans' insurance as well as more money to fill Puerto Rico's Medicaid coffers. Instead the Trump administration is only indefinitely funding the Obamacare subsidies, and Puerto Rico's Medicaid solution mostly relies on redistributing existing accounts.

What does that mean exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom