• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Explains Why Destiny Is Not 60fps On The PS4 And Xbox One

I'm fine with this, there's no way I'm skipping Destiny after playing the alpha. Locked 30fps is the last thing going through my mind in a game that fucking good.

I don't understand what being cross-gen has to do with the 30 FPS on the new gen versions. In fact shouldn't the fact that the game has been limited (co-op player count, world geometry...) so that it can run on last gen systems imply that it should get better performance, not worse, on the new gen?

Graphics threads are seriously the worst.
So is thread whining. Go to the Destiny alpha thread for gameplay impressions. Oh, closed... then the "vote here" thread will do.

As for the topic, I hope they design to the limits of each console. Whether that is reflected in effects or framerate, there should be differences between the next gen versions. I would be very disappointed if they designed for platform parity.

EdgeXL

I realize I am probably in a minority here but I'd rather have 720/60 than 1080/30.

It seems that few developers have people like me in mind.

Eusis

I don't understand what being cross-gen has to do with the 30 FPS on the new gen versions. In fact shouldn't the fact that the game has been limited (co-op player count, world geometry...) so that it can run on last gen systems imply that it should get better performance, not worse, on the new gen?
It may be that the game couldn't get THAT much higher (hovering in the 40s maybe?) while also increasing resolution and texture detail (I swear that alpha had more detailed textures than I regularly saw on PS3/360), so they opted to just lock to 30 still. A lot of games updated for PS4/XB1 still weren't 60, not all the way through anyway, so it could be the same as something like Tomb Raider here. It may also be that the fps on PS3/360 is a hideous mess and so reaching a rock solid 30 is itself a massive improvement.

velociraptor

I've really enjoyed the Destiny alpha but playing at 30FPS does my fooking head in.

It feels horrible. It plays horrible. I actually doubt Destiny is running at a locked 30. It feels very sluggish.

I honestly believe developers should aim for at least 40FPS for every game. And then give the option to lock or unlock.

I'm much happier playing a game at 40FPS, it feels better, it looks better. 60FPS would be ideal though, but that is a pipe dream.

Darksol

There's only three reasons why someone chooses 30 fps over 60 fps:

1. The hardware can't handle 60 fps
2. They'd rather reallocate their resources into improving the IQ
3. Both

I don't really care at the end of the day. But that's the crux of it.

Ateron

The answers he gave make no sense, in fact they work against him. We know that Destiny was built from the ground up with last gen tech specs in mind, so if they don't want to improve on geometry, effects and models, what are they using the extra power on, besides the obvious jump to 1080p? Wouldn't it make easier for a cross gen game under these circumstances to reach 60fps on both?

Like GZ, everything stayed pretty much the same, resolution fps and probably longer draw distance being the differentiator. I mean, if they can't get it to run 60fps now (with a simple up port) they never will. Not that Bungie ever pushed for 60 before, or that they HAVE to, but they could have saved the excuses/non answers.

I like to read these threads, and just sit back and smile. I played the Alpha, it was brilliant. A ton of other people played Alpha, and about 90% (Guessing here based on the Alpha thread) loved it. No one was complaining about "30 FPS is ruining my life! THANKS OBAMA." And then, the big revelation that everyone already knew came by: THE GAME IS 30 FPS and, oh.. dear lord... what is that... cross gen? Cross gen is holding it back?! The game must be terrible! 30 FPS because of cross gen?! Screw gameplay, story, anything, my frame rate isn't tapping 60FPS whenever I stand still so I can't play this!

It just seems rather silly to me, but who am I?

EDIT: Also, a lot of people are freaking out over this like it's some kind of scandal. Bungie is covering up the truth! They really didn't want the game to be at 60FPS! Bungie hates 60FPS! I think I'd prefer more post processing and locked 30FPS than 60, but whatever.

velociraptor

There's only three reasons why someone chooses 30 fps over 60 fps:

3. Both

The hardware can handle 60FPS though.

We don't know where all the resources are going. I would laugh if it's some silly effect that is FPS heavy but yield low visual benefit (something a lot of PC games suffer from).

For example, I played the Battlefield Hardline beta and it runs 1080p60 on my system (on 'High' settings, HBAO disabled, SSAO on). I have a 6950. Yet it's 900p on the PS4. Heh.

RoKKeR

Because they are Bungie and will target good visuals and a stable framerate above all else.

I don't see the issue, as the Alpha looked great and I was fine with the framerate. I'm past caring about frame rates on consoles, as it's out of our control, all of this bitching is just wasted energy. Developers will do what's best for their game. If what they chose is unstable and a mess, either at 30 or 60 then there will be issues.

Otherwise? Have at it.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I like to read these threads, and just sit back and smile. I played the Alpha, it was brilliant. A ton of other people played Alpha, and about 90% (Guessing here based on the Alpha thread) loved it. No one was complaining about "30 FPS is ruining my life! THANKS OBAMA." And then, the big revelation that everyone already knew came by: THE GAME IS 30 FPS and, oh.. dear lord... what is that... cross gen? Cross gen is holding it back?! The game must be terrible! 30 FPS because of cross gen?! Screw gameplay, story, anything, my frame rate isn't tapping 60FPS whenever I stand still so I can't play this!

Well, that's how things go with graphics threads in NeoGAF. For some, they prefer 60 FPS and others don't care about 30 FPS as along it stayed locked.

Either way, reading those threads is entertaining, but in the end, these are mostly people discussing to each other and expressing their opinions, so I don't take it too personally. :)

ad_idem

While I can understand the frustration over the PR statement in the OP (seems, based on the posts, mostly due to it inherently being PR speak), at the end of the day we don't know what the final experience of actually playing the game will be like. Nor do we know the specific reason for their decisions (sure, parity factors as well as the other reasons cited could be part of the reasoning) but it doesn't change the fact that these are all still merely conjectures, even if they are some what considered stabs in the dark.

Having played the alpha for a decent amount of time (~19 hours according to their site between the 3 different classes) I thought it looked and played/controlled well regardless of what was happening on screen. And for the most part didn't specifically miss/notice the fact that it wasn't running at a higher frame rate. Granted I may be much less discerning than some of you (given my lack of experience with competitive shooters on consoles) but the overall experience was enjoyable for me. To the point where I wasn't all that interested in the game but now am looking forward to the beta.

I am very aware that this doesn't negate a lot of the specific concerns mentioned in this thread, nor am I suggesting that it's wrong for those of you who find specific technical specifications on paper to be an important part of you wanting to play a game or not. But I'm merely suggesting that ultimately we experience a game holistically and not in discrete separable segments. I hope that those of you voicing strong concerns over frames get a chance to try out the beta, and see what it has to offer since you might have a change of heart. Or at the very least come to realize that perhaps in this specific game (I'm pretty headstrong myself about FPS when it comes to fighting games), 30 vs 60 frames isn't as big of a differentiator when it comes to the overall experience. Of course, if it turns out not to be the case, that's fine too. But I know that, at least for me, I sometimes focus so intensely on a specific factor that I miss the forest for the trees. Also, who could argue wanting to have their cake and eat it too? If it didn't affect anything currently, and we could get 60 frames on top of that, it'd be great. But I'm sure resource management has sometime to say about that.

Every build of Destiny, on all four platforms, has been treated uniquely from the beginning. One example of that in practice is the recent 1080p res update for Xbox One.

Destiny looks great on all four platforms, and you'll get to see every one of them running live in Beta well before launch.

:)

As mentioned by urk, we'll have a chance to judge for ourselves, on our platform of choice with a product that is closer to the finished game come July.

The issue isn't that it's 30fps, it's that it's just another example of a game being held back by eight-year-old hardware (almost nine years old by the time it releases). New hardware isn't being taken advantage of at all beyond a resolution bump and maybe some extra effects. It's unacceptable.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Soooo what'd I miss??

...OOOH.

AZUMIKE

EDIT: Also, a lot of people are freaking out over this like it's some kind of scandal. Bungie is covering up the truth! They really didn't want the game to be at 60FPS! Bungie hates 60FPS! I think I'd prefer more post processing and locked 30FPS than 60, but whatever.

Lol yeah, it seems like it plays fine at 30fps, but of course I could be possibly better at 60fps. But its still playable (and according to many fun).

Ateron

I don't think the crux of the matter is whether or not the game is good or not, or if it plays well at 30fps (I loved it). I think people have the right to question things, especially if the hw is capable of more. Don t give us bs excuses or patronizing non answers (" i could tell you but would bore you to death"). Simply say the truth: this game is huge, we can t optimize fully to every platform, cause of man power, time or budget constraints. That would have been an honest answer, and one that I think not many people would have a "problem" with.

Eusis

I'm looking forward to seeing the thread that pops up if GTA V on XB1/PS4 is 30fps, haha.
This is kind of an example of where a locked, stable 30 fps kind of is a big improvement. It'd be great to be 60 fps, but an open world game of that detail and at the frame rate it already has? Best to abandon all hope and be pleasantly surprised if wrong.

At best I expect to see 60 fps while walking into a wall within a home.

It may be that the game couldn't get THAT much higher (hovering in the 40s maybe?) while also increasing resolution and texture detail (I swear that alpha had more detailed textures than I regularly saw on PS3/360), so they opted to just lock to 30 still. A lot of games updated for PS4/XB1 still weren't 60, not all the way through anyway, so it could be the same as something like Tomb Raider here. It may also be that the fps on PS3/360 is a hideous mess and so reaching a rock solid 30 is itself a massive improvement.
I get that, but being cross-gen was the reason given for being 30 FPS, when in fact being cross-gen should have improved FPS on the new gen systems.

It's like if you asked me why I failed a test in school and I responded, "because I took really good notes in class". The answer on the face of it is wrong and it brings up the question of why it was given.

vg260

“It’s a lot of different things,” explains Jason Sussman who is the senior environment artist at Bungie. “I could get really technical, but I’d bore you to death.

No you wouldn't. Don't use that line as an excuse to back out of elaborating.

Brohan

Lol yeah, it seems like it plays fine at 30fps, but of course I could be possibly better at 60fps. But its still playable (and according to many fun).

Played perfectly fine at 30 FPS, not once did i think "Damn this doesn't feel good because it is 30 fps."

Ofcourse 60 fps is better but i don't really understand how people can get so riled up about it.

"60 fps is required for competitive multiplayer shooters'' : Obviously not, i've done alot of pvp in the alpha and it was awesome.

And wasn't Halo always 30 fps before the coming of Halo 4?

ad_idem

I don't really see anyone hating on the game itself.

People are mad that the comment sounds like they are forcing framerate parity in order to give everyone (read: last-gen console players) the same experience.

In reality, that's probably not the case.

Either way, a smoother frame rate would make an already good game that much better.

*snip*

While writing my earlier post, I got distracted by the World Cup (the thread had moved on a few pages since then) and realized that my post, via the quote above, (at least some of it) was addressing a different issue. My apologies.

Eusis

I get that, but being cross-gen was the reason given for being 30 FPS, when in fact being cross-gen should have improved FPS on the new gen systems.

It's like if you asked me why I failed a test in school and I responded, "because I took really good notes in class". The answer on the face of it is wrong and it brings up the question of why it was given.
I would think it's more like "because I didn't want to embarrass the other students" when the question brought up the fact you took good notes, but they DID explain how they were trying to maximize effects on stuff on each platform and admittedly 60 fps can drastically alter the gameplay feel more than 1080p would. In a sense I guess that might be the real answer actually, they probably want to see what they can get in at 30 fps more than ensuring it's even across last gen and next gen.
Apparently the alpha had frame pacing issues according to DF.
Huh. Hopefully that's stomped out in final or even beta.

hypotc

Stupid question, but why aren't developers focusing on for example 40- or 50 FPS if they can't bring it up to 60? Something to do with the refresh rate?

Been thinking about it lately.

AZUMIKE

Played perfectly fine at 30 FPS, not once did i think "Damn this doesn't feel good because it is 30 fps."

Ofcourse 60 fps is better but i don't really understand how people can get so riled up about it.

"60 fps is required for competitive multiplayer shooters'' : Obviously not, i've done alot of pvp in the alpha and it was awesome.

And wasn't Halo always 30 fps before the coming of Halo 4?

Yup, its sad that 30fps has the potential to become an insurmountable obstacle for people to enjoy a game. That sentiment can even come across as elitism.

EDIT: Again, the game may suffer (how I'm not quite sure, but I'm aware there are reasons), but from what I've heard of the alpha, its quite playable.

Again last-gen holding back current-gen. The publishers kept bitching that the consoles had been too long then when the new consoles do arrive the publishers still release games for old systems.

Anyway, Destiny plays great with 30fps.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
There's only three four reasons why someone chooses 30 fps over 60 fps:

3. Both
4. None of the above. They don't want to favor one console over the other. (which is weak ass shit).

Fixed.

rrs

Stupid question, but why aren't developers focusing on for example 40- or 50 FPS if they can't bring it up to 60? Something to do with the refresh rate?

Been thinking about it lately.

Lowest you can go to keep it from looking too bad, and with a lot of games at similar FPS caps it blends in fine.

I'm fine with this, there's no way I'm skipping Destiny after playing the alpha. Locked 30fps is the last thing going through my mind in a game that fucking good.

I agree, but it would've been nice if they had truly harnessed the power of PS4 to deliver 60 FPS. The game is pretty chaotic and 60 FPS would help ensure smooth and cohesive gameplay.

Top Bottom