• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review Thread | Celebrating 10 years of doody

I think reviewers are being harsh. I think the game is still fun as ever. But I can understand the milked out formula, milking for all it's worth.

One thing I will say is that CoD isn't really a game I'd upgrade to a PS4/XBone for because the gameplay is great as a current gen game. BF4 on the other hand, the 60fps is worth upgrading to...since I don't have a powerful rig.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I think reviewers are being harsh. I think the game is still fun as ever. But I can understand the milked out formula, milking for all it's worth.

One thing I will say is that CoD isn't really a game I'd upgrade to a PS4/XBone for because the gameplay is great as a current gen game. BF4 on the other hand, the 60fps is worth upgrading to...since I don't have a powerful rig.

Not to mention the juiced player-count.

Does sound like IW flubbed this release though, probably caught a little off-guard with next gen. Hope they can tidy the game up with patches.

supersaw

Total biscuit just absolutely destroyed this game.

Can't blame him.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgc43e-zp4

Heh just watched that. Can't believe this is a top seller on Steam of all places I guess embargoes worked in their favour there.

For a moment there I was considering it, hearing about dedicated server support and pc specific features I yearned for the return of that COD4 experience but this just looks very underwhelming. No FOV slider and those textures, they're not even trying anymore. Also 45fps on a titan with those graphics wtf.

Did anyone confirm the game is using dedicated servers yet?

I know Rubin gave us the vauge tweet and all but I figured someone might mention it in a review if it happened in a game other than xb1 version.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder if any reviews will have the balls to deduct point on the graphical score on Xbox One relative to PS4.

I was too lazy to actually send the game back to Amazon so I opened the package, installed the game and activated it on Steam.

Why.

It's unplayable.

I'm so fucking stupid.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I was too lazy to actually send the game back to Amazon so I opened the package, installed the game and activated it on Steam.

Why.

It's unplayable.

I'm so fucking stupid.

What's wrong with it?

What's wrong with it?

Non-stop stuttering and framerate drops (even worse than Blighttown in Dark Souls), lag in menus, blurry graphics (might be fixable by checking the aspect ratio, I'll try it when I'm home), memory leaks (I even got warning from Windows, offering me to close the program), etc.

tl;dr What everyone is complaining about in the CoD Ghosts PC Performance thread

Just did
the hunted
, probably my favourite mission so far, alongside the flashback mission. It's funny how this game wings between looking REALLY nice so fine. Unfortunately ran into some of the brutal flickering texturing when
hiding behind the waterfall
that made it a little hard to progress for a min but I got there. Really liked that one. Mixed up the gameplay as well as the level design, and some great visuals. They should be proud of that one.

Non-stop stuttering and framerate drops (even worse than Blighttown in Dark Souls), lag in menus, blurry graphics (might be fixable by checking the aspect ratio, I'll try it when I'm home), memory leaks (I even got warning from Windows, offering me to close the program), etc.

tl;dr What everyone is complaining about in the CoD Ghosts PC Performance thread

I wonder what the rhyme and reason will be behind this, because I can't spot a trend yet. I'm not suffering any of those problems at all on max settings, bar audio stuttering during the loading cutscenes when it's done loading, but I'm seeing people with comparable specs get it all.

Should have watched the TotalBiscuit video before you bought it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgc43e-zp4

Xater

Remember when some people said this was going to be an unoptimized mess when the system requirements were announced? Turns out they were right.

Jb

While not an official review yet (that's apparently coming tomorrow), John Walker's impressions of the first 3 hours pretty much gives you a good idea of how much he's enjoying it (spoiler: not much). I thought it was pretty funny, I don't like RPS reviews that much anymore but I will always read when they do a military FPS.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts/

It sort of annoys me that he felt he didn't have 2 more hours to actually finish the campaign before writing a piece. Really? Come on.

IISANDERII

So there are many reviews of the PS4 version of this game. Does this mean that all these publications already have PS4's?

Derrick01

Banned
When did RPS reviews lose your favour, Far Cry 3? ;)

Their praise of Far Cry 3 and Skyrim, calling Dishonored the best stealth game since Thief 2 and calling New Vegas a lazy rehash. All of those added up over time to where I can't trust their opinion on games anymore.

It sort of annoys me that he felt he didn't have 2 more hours to actually finish the campaign before writing a piece. Really? Come on.

Yeah I don't quite understand why he didn't wait another hour to finish it first it but it was still funny.

Yup. A lot of US outlets got an invite to go to New York this weekend I think where they can play PS4 games and pick up their console.

Yeah, I remember Patrick Klepek saying GB was sending Jeff and Brad to NYC to a Sony event, seems like that'll be where people get their consoles.

jordisok

Their praise of Far Cry 3 and Skyrim, calling Dishonored the best stealth game since Thief 2 and calling New Vegas a lazy rehash. All of those added up over time to where I can't trust their opinion on games anymore.

Do you not read certain writers WITs or not anymore on the site? They don't all have the same opinion.

Crawl

Do any of the reviews touch on the terrible optimization of the pc version? The game runs like absolute dog shit
lol
on PC. Its so bad right now, buyer beware.

Derrick01

Banned
RPS official review is up now.

At the end of my first three hours I wondered if it would improve. Yes, it does. Genuinely, it does. Is it ever good? No, it’s never good. It occasionally becomes a less hateful FPS experience, letting you even run to the left or the right should you wish, and sometimes going so far as to let you go in front. But you have to shake yourself to remember that this means it’s managed to reach the basics of what you should hope for in such a game.

Ignore the blowhards who tell you it’s only four hours long. It’s six to eight hours long, and by God, it feels like triple that. The interminable cutscenes alone probably make up half of it. As the missions drag on, they begin to hint that they may be climactic – even giving themselves titles like End Of The Line – but instead peter out anticlimactically, ensuring that its pathetic sub-Roland Emmerich story gets dragged out even further. There’s not a moment of wit, nor any attempt at it. There’s no emotion, no charm, no intrigue, no mystery. Just shouting. The attempt to have you care about the absolutely pointless dog comes down to forcing you to lug it around for one mission, making it just a cumbersome obstacle rendering the dreary shooting even less fun.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/06/wot-i-think-call-of-duty-ghosts-single-player/

Crawl said:
Do any of the reviews touch on the terrible optimization of the pc version?

From the RPS review (granted this is a PC site after all)

More clumsy is getting the PC version to run. From the astonishing 37GB HD space it requires, I can only assume this is the next-gen version of the game that we’re getting, since the current consoles are getting the game at around 16GB. And while my PC isn’t state-of-the-art just now, it’s still plenty powerful enough to run everything else on the market at full whack. With COD, it struggled. And finding out why is tortuous, thanks to the utterly ludicrous need for it to reload your current mission to the last checkpoint every time you change a setting.

This means figuring out whether it’s the anti-aliasing, v-sync, etc, that’s causing issues is a painstaking process with 30 second gaps between each change. And that “etc” represents an awful lot of settings. So yes, it’s fantastic that they’ve put out a proper PC version (runs in a borderless window, or smaller window, as well as fullscreen, too), but figuring them out for your system is deeply frustrating. And don’t think they’re kidding with its 6GB of RAM minimum warning either – with 8GB on my machine, I had to switch absolutely everything else off to get it to run properly. And it still wheezed and coughed. In fact, the game pretty regularly would freeze for around 10 seconds at a time – I’ve yet to discover if that’s my issue, or a common one. And also in that camp, the madness of the mouse occasionally going loony. Turning suddenly accelerates, meaning a peek to the left has you facing the opposite direction, which is obviously useless for FPS action, and damned confusing.

Top Bottom