• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review Thread | Celebrating 10 years of doody

I just hope the sales reflect this. They need a massive shake up to get out of this rut.

Be careful what you wish for though. Sales dipping a bit might give them the message to shake things up a bit, but Activision has a habit and history of dropping franchises like a hot potato once they deem them no longer profitable enough, i.e. Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

Besides, they make millions off Skylanders now and Destiny might become a big franchise. I wonder if CoD will actually survive this gen or if it really is the Madden of FPS.

ViciousDS

Banned
Be careful what you wish for though. Sales dipping a bit might give them the message to shake things up a bit, but Activision has a habit and history of dropping franchises like a hot potato once they deem them no longer profitable enough, i.e. Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

Besides, they make millions off Skylanders now and Destiny might become a big franchise. I wonder if CoD will actually survive this gen or if it really is the Madden of FPS.

Guitar Hero needs a comeback........or I should just say Harmonix should come back next gen with a truly incredible rock band experience.

I love rocksmith and all but just jamming away at 5 plastic buttons is so much more fun as I can pick up my real guitar and just look at tabs and lessons instead of spending $60 on rocksmith.

cool man thanks for responding, yeah, i'm judging, it's bad, i admit, some backstory dude is 33 and hates his job, imo he should be looking for new work. not staycationing for a milquetoast cod entry,

i've no problem with cracking out on hobbies, but you gotta handle your other business too

With the backstory it sounds far more reasonable :)
Once more, sorry for jumping down your throat.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Every new Call of Duty installment makes me miss MW2. It was the first Call of Duty game I experienced because my brother bought it for me. While I can admit that the core formula has been beaten to death, at the time it was insanely addictive. Not only that, but the damn maps were great. Fuck, I miss that game.

I recently borrowed my brother's copy of the game (after I snapped mine in half years later when I tried to get rid of the games -_-) and went online. There was not one match that wasn't hacked to death. It was insane.

gioGAF

Well, seems like the game journos want more of an update to Call of Duty given the review scores. I wonder why they don't pan Madden and FIFA as much.

It really pains me to see all of the Black Ops 2 comments in some of these reviews, given that Black Ops 2 was terrible.

I will be happy if Ghosts is basically MW3.5 and it runs smoothly. Hopefully IW (what's left of them), will do as they have done in the past and let people play the game. They won't pull a Treyarch and rebalance all of the weapons until they are all clones/trash.

Holy crap. They really grill him.

GameCentral: So the obvious assumption from all this is that the PlayStation 4 is definitely more powerful than the Xbox One, is that true?

Mark Rubin: [acting very embarrassed] I can’t answer that.

GC: You can’t answer it on a technical level or because you’re being diplomatic?

MR: Can’t answer that.

GC: You can’t say whether you’re avoiding the question for diplomatic reasons?

MR: [embarrassed] I just can’t say anything…

[Even the attending PR guy is looking embarrassed by this point]

PR guy: It’s very hard for us to be…

GC: Are the console manufacturers leaning on you to avoid these sort of questions?

MR: [unsure - speaking to PR guy] I don’t know if that…

MR: [even more embarrassed to us] Yeah, there’s things that we… We sign NDAs with the first parties [i.e. Microsoft and Sony - GC] and there are things that we’re not allowed to talk about.

GC: So when John Carmack and Shinji Mikami say the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are almost identical, is that something you could agree with?

MR: Hmm… I would say that’s a bit inaccurate but I wouldn’t be able to tell you any detail of why that’s inaccurate.

GC: For diplomatic reasons?

MR: Yes.

GC: Okay, that’s fine. I think we can all read between those lines. But that’s absurd, how can they not except any journalist, any reasonable journalist, not to ask that question? It’s what everyone wants to know.

MR: [still feeling very awkward] The key thing is we try to focus people away from that sort of thing and try to focus them on the fact that the game is fun no matter what platform it’s on.

GC: Do you think with the next game you make there will there be such an obvious disparity between the two formats?

MR: Unknown… But over time… If you look at Call Of Duty 2 compared to COD 4 there’s a massive graphic difference, they look very different. So I think we’ll get better, yes.

GC: But will that same proportional gap always be there?

MR: Don’t know. Until we get there I honestly don’t know. To be not diplomatic or anything [laughs] we really don’t know. We’ve done as much as we can in the time we have to get where we’re at. Will they close the gap? Will they go off in the opposite direction? Who knows? But for this game it is what it is.

Is it just me or is the buz for CoD really low this year? I'm used to people talking about it in class on release day and seeing news articles everywhere about the midnight release.

Bgamer90

Banned
Is it just me or is the buz for CoD really low this year? I'm used to people talking about it in class on release day and seeing news articles everywhere about the midnight release.

I wouldn't say it's low overall but it's definitely lower than previous years.

Pain

Banned
Very interesting. So these NDAs don't allow how to publically talk about the specs...they can't even directly say the PS4 is more powerful.

But anyone with half a brain can read between those lines and see the overwhelming amount of proof out there.

You gotta give credit to Mark Rubin though, he didn't say the consoles were identical or that there isn't a difference.

Duxxy3

Next gen systems coming out after the game is launched certainly deflated some of the hype. The reviews are not helping.

diamount

Banned

Well, cod only became extremely more popular when it became modernized. So I don't think they'll strike lightning twice with the franchise, still... your competitor is beating you in the ground in every aspect. They need to stop resting on their laurels.

Curufinwe

I think Neuromancer actually left out the best bit.

GC: So, just finally, I have to ask: why does the PlayStation 4 version look so much better than the Xbox One? Is the resolution really the only difference?

MR: [laughs] Yep, it’s the only difference. The TVs are different on some of them, but… they both have their different rendering engines but they’re as close as possible. It really comes down to resolution. Xbox is upscaled 720, it’s outputting at 1080p but it’s upscaled from 720. Whereas PlayStation 4 is native 1080p. So that’s really the only graphical difference. But it is enough. Some people here are saying they don’t really notice a difference…

GC: Was that the guy with the white stick?

MR: [laugh] But yeah, the PS4 looks really good.

Yesterday COD was trending on Twitter in the US for almost the whole day. That's about all I heard from the cod launch, except a few friends speaking about going to the midnight launch.

A little OT but has Carmack written a single line of code for either next gen system?

Edit:
I will give clicks to Metro UK. Wow at the grilling!

Edit 2:
LOL... love the caption for this image:
mark-rubin.jpg

Mark Rubin – master of diplomacy

Edit 3:

I actually have much more respect for Mark Rubin after reading that! I still think COD:G looks good (PS4, PC) and I want to give it a shot.

A little OT but has Carmack written a single line of code for either next gen system?

At this point, he really only makes new game engines (id Tech 5) and is helping with the Oculus Rift. He's not that much for making games (directly) anymore... but I may be wrong?

This is the first time I actually see most of the mainstream media actually acknowledging how similar the game is compared to previous releases.

Arkham Origins got dinged as hard as Ghosts for this. Both sitting at 74 at metacritic right now.

The laughable part is that this has been something that's been going on for ages and only now are critics beginning to talk about it.

Raonak

Banned
I don't mind more of the same, Uncharted 3 was like U2, more of the same, didn't make much new ground. But's thats only 1 game. set 2 years after the previous.
COD has been doing more of the same every year for the entire goddamn generation.

yearly franchises in general need to GTFO.

That was a great interview.

Jesus. I feel bad for the guy, but it's good that they asked those questions.
There's nothing to feel bad about. This doesn't paint him in a bad light at all, and it's obvious he's a really honest guy and wants to answer those questions if it weren't for NDAs. As the interviewer said, Mark was able to dance around the NDA and provide enough lines to read between. Respect to Mark for that.

This interview combined with all the Xbone embargoes only make Microsoft look bad for trying to hide pertinent information from prospective buyers who want to see how the two consoles compare to each other.

Loved this part:

GC: So when John Carmack and Shinji Mikami say the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are almost identical, is that something you could agree with?

MR: Hmm… I would say that’s a bit inaccurate but I wouldn’t be able to tell you any detail of why that’s inaccurate.

GC: For diplomatic reasons?

MR: Yes.

Kiant

Wow the Metro really didn't hold back haha, kinda refreshing to see. Although kinda contrasts to Mark saying that "some people think the textures look better on the Xbone than PS4" when he spoke to IGN. Wonder if that was more for marketing purposes due to the whole exclusivity DLC crap.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
8RWaAI1.jpg

It's not like I needed to work on these design specs. No, no. It was much more important to 'Shop a dog's head onto Forrest Whittacker.

Guitar Hero needs a comeback........or I should just say Harmonix should come back next gen with a truly incredible rock band experience.

I love rocksmith and all but just jamming away at 5 plastic buttons is so much more fun as I can pick up my real guitar and just look at tabs and lessons instead of spending $60 on rocksmith.

Couldn't agree more. I'm in University now, I want new reasons to be excited for drunkin nights with plastic musical instruments and mediocre microphones.

Top Bottom