• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII - Multiplayer Trailer

so black Kids, or Girls were excluded from COD 1, 2, 3, 5, or BF 1942, or MoH?
and as if the Germans are the only "team associated with such cruelty".
we are playing as Wehrmacht Soldiers anyways. not SS devisions, that participated in the Holocaust.

which you can report and then they will get banned.

I hate to point this out but Wehrmacht Soldiers like most soldiers during this time period were responsible for "714 mass executions, alongside many incidents of plunder, banditry, and murder. Altogether, 16,376 Poles fell victim to these atrocities. Approximately 60% of these crimes were committed by the Wehrmacht."source

While they weren't Nazis they did some messed up crap. Also, remember in past World War 2 games we played as the Soviet Union and Imperial Japan who might have been just as bad as the Nazis.

In my opinion, we need to acknowledge the bad and leave the iconography of Nazi German in the game. If they leave it out of the German version or other countries where its illegal, which I'm fine with but if they do that for the rest of the world are doing a disservice
to the real history of trying to alter history.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm genuinely asking. Was hoping for a better answer than, "it's just a game".
Because that's the answer.

Germany doesn't allow Swastikas. Period.

And 'cause women play COD, too. Come on, now. Same reason as Battlefield 1's multiplayer is all over the place with historical accuracy.

Randam

The Wehrmacht performed some atrocities and war crimes, especially on the Eastern front.

such did the red army and even some members of the western allies.
This myth that the wehrmact were the good ones is so mistaken.

never said that.
but the hollocaust was mostly carried out by other groups. (SS, Einsatzgruppen)
but of course Wehrmacht soldiers also were responsible for warcrimes.
so were others.

I hate to point this out but Wehrmacht Soldiers like most soldiers during this time period were responsible for "714 mass executions, alongside many incidents of plunder, banditry, and murder. Altogether, 16,376 Poles fell victim to these atrocities. Approximately 60% of these crimes were committed by the Wehrmacht."source

While they weren't Nazis they did some messed up crap. Also, remember in past World War 2 games we played as the Soviet Union and Imperial Japan who might have been just as bad as the Nazis.

In my opinion, we need to acknowledge the bad and leave the iconography of Nazi German in the game. If they leave it out of the German version or other countries where its illegal, which I'm fine with but if they do that for the rest of the world are doing a disservice

see above and qft at the last part.

Stiler

It'd be interesting if they actually feature Ost Battalions in the game.

In France they had some stationed there, such as the Ost Battalion 795.

Would be quite a shock to some people if they actually treated it fairly/realistically. Have you run into them, have a firefight and then after all the dust is settled another soldier (who maybe speaks their language) tries to explain to you what the soldier was saying or what they were.

For those who don't know the Ost Battalions were largely forced conscripts pulled from prisoners of war from the eastern front, polish, soviets, etc.

Spielberg did this in SPR,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCbW7Gkgu2U

Those two soldiers are trying to explain that they are Czech and not German, of course the US soldiers don't know it and assume they are just regular German soldiers.

KurtFehl

Because that's the answer.

Germany doesn't allow Swastikas. Period.

And 'cause women play COD, too. Come on, now. Same reason as Battlefield 1's multiplayer is all over the place with historical accuracy.

I'm more bothered by that fact that Germany managed to censor a game for the entire world. I don't really care that there are women in the game, but really, removing the Swastikas? If they allow custom avatars, you can guarantee there will be Swastikas everywhere and no way for Germany to stop it.

Very well said.

Go back and play any other World War II games especially Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360 or any of the original Medal Of Honor games - they all feature the Nazi symbols and iconography, so I don't see why this should be a new thing to censor and blur actual history. It's a tremendous disservice to the men that died fighting in that conflict.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm more bothered by that fact that Germany managed to censor a game for the entire world. I don't really care that there are women in the game, but really, removing the Swastikas? If they allow custom avatars, you can guarantee there will be Swastikas everywhere and no way for Germany to stop it.
*shrug* take it up with Germany. If it were up to me I'd have left it in there. Even for the simple reason of that it's WWII iconography.

I get it, really, but in the mess of multiplayer and zombies (I know, I know, no one on this forum cares about that), it's minor. What really would've befuzzled me if they left it out in the campaign where they clearly want to go all in and tell a WWII story. Pretending it's not there in the game's narrative would've been a mistake. But in multiplayer where the arcadey-nonsense goes in and out every 15 minutes? Eh. I can compromise on that at the very least.

Though it should've been in.

*shrug* take it up with Germany. If it were up to me I'd have left it in there. Even for the simple reason of that it's WWII iconography.

I get it, really, but in the mess of multiplayer and zombies (I know, I know, no one on this forum cares about that), it's minor. What really would've befuzzled me if they left it out in the campaign where they clearly want to go all in and tell a WWII story. Pretending it's not there in the game's narrative would've been a mistake. But in multiplayer where the arcadey-nonsense goes in and out every 15 minutes? Eh. I can compromise on that at the very least.

I'm worried now that the campaign will feature like 2 swastikas just to keep it low key.

It will be terribly distracting in areas where historically there were lots of them.

Randam

especially Zombies.
I mean, Sledgehammer themselfes call it Nazi Zombies: https://twitter.com/SHGames/status/857285812265910273/

Not really feeling the MP, which is what I was most stoked for.

I guess I'll give the beta a chance, but I'm not really looking forward to it as much as I was before. Call of Duty may officially be dead to me now.

kuYuri

You can tell who never played past WWII CoD games in this thread by the TTK complaints. You can one or two shot people with bolt action rifles like the Kar98k or semi-auto rifles like the M1 Garand as far back as the original CoD. This was also back when there was no regenerating health.

If anything, the weapons have become weaker since back then.

Randam

You can tell who never played past WWII CoD games in this thread by the TTK complaints. You can one or two shot people with bolt action rifles like the Kar98k or semi-auto rifles like the M1 Garand as far back as the original CoD. This was also back when there was no regenerating health.

If anything, the weapons have become weaker since back then.

TTK seems fine: https://youtu.be/mb2d89753ic?t=90

I just watched the dev video for Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and it features swastikas and other Nazi iconography.

So it's okay that an alternate reality game can feature historically accurate symbols, but one that's "gritty realistic, historically accurate and faithful and respectful to the men that fought in this conflict" can't??

Seriously Sledgehammer Games, what's going on?

I just watched the dev video for Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and it features swastikas and other Nazi iconography.

So it's okay that an alternate reality game can feature historically accurate symbols, but one that's "gritty realistic, historically accurate and faithful and respectful to the men that fought in this conflict" can't??

Seriously Sledgehammer Games, what's going on?

There's swastikas in the campaign. I imagine removing them from MP is to not have to have people play as soldiers with swastikas when they end up on the opposing side, which iirc is random from match to match. The MP is rarely meant to be "authentic" anyway. There's no respawns and kill streaks in real life.

Got to play this on the show floor. We got to play TDM and ground war (I think that's the name). Spawns and ttk seemed pretty well balanced and implemented. You had time to react to shots. Tried the flamethrower and you push the dpad button to take it out, but also to put it away. It carries between deaths too, which is nice. It's basically a more reliable shotgun: large aoe, bad at long range. All the classes/weapons had a function tied to the left dpad button. MP40 let you put on a silencer, shotgun puts on incendiary bullets, etc. Never got to try meleeing.

Ground war was pretty interesting with multiple objectives. I constructed a mounted machine gun and just ripped into the other team like you see in the movies. Felt amazing. Hardest conflict is the second stage, where the allies have to construct a bridge. Basically one person sacrifices themselves and is completely exposed as everyone tries to cover them. There's enough openings on both sides to have other routes to poke your head out, but not enough where it feels like a complete guessing game. Surprisingly, it felt really balanced and thought out. The final segment is pushing a tank forward into the town. You can use the tank for cover, or you can hop onto the mounted gun and spray the enemies down. As far as I'm aware of, you can't actually control the tank itself. It's on rails and moves only when someone is right next to it (payload).

Overall, I'm really glad I tried it out. Assuming the netcode isn't horrendous and nothing changes too much in terms of balance, I don't see people being disappointed with this one. I'm actually really looking forward to it after today.
sorry if all of this info was already shared lol

Cake Boss

Banned
Got to play this on the show floor. We got to play TDM and ground war (I think that's the name). Spawns and ttk seemed pretty well balanced and implemented. You had time to react to shots. Tried the flamethrower and you push the dpad button to take it out, but also to put it away. It carries between deaths too, which is nice. It's basically a more reliable shotgun: large aoe, bad at long range. All the classes/weapons had a function tied to the left dpad button. MP40 let you put on a silencer, shotgun puts on incendiary bullets, etc. Never got to try meleeing.

Ground war was pretty interesting with multiple objectives. I constructed a mounted machine gun and just ripped into the other team like you see in the movies. Felt amazing. Hardest conflict is the second stage, where the allies have to construct a bridge. Basically one person sacrifices themselves and is completely exposed as everyone tries to cover them. There's enough openings on both sides to have other routes to poke your head out, but not enough where it feels like a complete guessing game. Surprisingly, it felt really balanced and thought out. The final segment is pushing a tank forward into the town. You can use the tank for cover, or you can hop onto the mounted gun and spray the enemies down. As far as I'm aware of, you can't actually control the tank itself. It's on rails and moves only when someone is right next to it (payload).

Overall, I'm really glad I tried it out. Assuming the netcode isn't horrendous and nothing changes too much in terms of balance, I don't see people being disappointed with this one. I'm actually really looking forward to it after today.
sorry if all of this info was already shared lol

Thanks for the impressions, how did you find the last couple of CODs?

Just using you as a reference whether we have the same tastes or not.

Derp2Herp

Neo Member
Maps look like shit. Following that Treyarch 2 main spawn areas with narrow lanes spawn flipping galore garbage design i see. Zero flow is what i'm seeing.

Thanks for the impressions, how did you find the last couple of CODs?

Just using you as a reference whether we have the same tastes or not.
Hate both Ghost and IW.
Advanced Warfare had some neat ideas...and we'll frankly I sold it after 2-3 weeks. Think it was the bad netcode that did it for me.
BO3 is enjoyable. Mostly balanced maps, a bit too reliant on 3 lanes. Powers never bothered me.

WaW is my personal fave in the franchise, for what it's worth.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hate both Ghost and IW.
Advanced Warfare had some neat ideas...and we'll frankly I sold it after 2-3 weeks. Think it was the bad netcode that did it for me.
BO3 is enjoyable. Mostly balanced maps, a bit too reliant on 3 lanes. Powers never bothered me.

WaW is my personal fave in the franchise, for what it's worth.

Perfect, except for the WAW part tho lol.

Top Bottom