• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Cup 2014 | Fighting Game Tournament | Dec 13

Prototype

An Achilles heel is a deadly weakness in spite of overall strength, which can actually or potentially lead to downfall. While the mythological origin refers to a physical vulnerability, idiomatic references to other attributes or qualities that can lead to downfall are common.

Kusano123

Neo Member
Had to work the whole day :(. Only caught one match live today and that was Nishiken vs Luffy. Afterwards I had another break for 15 minutes to catch another match or two, but what I got instead was a dude bouncing around like a monkey in front of an ipad and a garage band performance....FFFFFFUUUU----

Please, no more of that shit next year and learn how to run brackets Capcom. However, still happy too see Momochi taking first place and winning the wedding money.

It's back but you can only use Capcom characters or Marvel characters that are owned by Sony Pictures

which is hilarious because everyone could play their same usual teams minus the random Nova hanger ons.

Doom, X-men, Skrull, and maybe one more are all still on the table even with that rule.

Daigo has dominated his Gen, it was a smart play.

If anything this tournament proved the danger in being predictable. Even with Momochi sticking with Ken, it was kind of surprising that he didn't switch at all.

No I get that. It's just I always got the impression that Daigo had the Dhalsim match up down pretty solid. Felt pretty ballsy of Xian. Idk though maybe that's changed; I haven't kept up with Daigo since he switched to E. Ryu.

alstein

If just defend is what cancels chip and it's in, then it's fine. I think they might be trying to create "EVO Moment 37" type stuff.

If that's all it does, I'm fine with it. The last thing I want is for projectile games and long-range fighting to be useless.
That's half of what made 3S boring.

If parries are different, I'll have an open mind about it. I have no issues with how they were implemented in Yata or KOFMI. It's the 3S-style that I can't stand.

Gold_Roger_Emoticon.jpg

Lol @ the bowl on chuns head. So basically we have to learn combos in this game. I also like the ryu's face graphics of the end of Chun's ultra

Rocwell

After another viewing it looks like blocked normals actually do recoverable damage like grey health in SF4 while chip from specials is not recoverable.

Dahbomb

In all instances of Just Defending in the video chip damage was taken... but it's likely you take reduced damage. And the chip from normal moves is recoverable.

You also build Revenge meter by blocking.

This game is very, very different from the SF we are used to.

Projectile games are changed somehow, since kikkouken allowed hadouken to pass through.
The Hadouken seemed to have more hits.

convo

Street Fighter 4 character models looked like they were smeared with chunky peanut butter when i first saw them. This is looking a whole lot more appealing of the bat.

kirblar

If that's all it does, I'm fine with it. The last thing I want is for projectile games and long-range fighting to be useless.
That's half of what made 3S boring.

If parries are different, I'll have an open mind about it. I have no issues with how they were implemented in Yata or KOFMI. It's the 3S-style that I can't stand.
I would be shocked if parries were brought back as a universal mechanic in a mainline SF game. Everyone's aware of their warping effect now.

Which MK did it first?

I just know of the durability system in Marvel 3, which I thought was fairly unique.

No, they're not.

I can't believe it's 2014 and we still think the Marvel games license is piecemeal.

I know the games licenses aren't, but my joke was that you could only use Sony picture characters, aka like, Spider-man and that's fucking it or something

Dahbomb

Which MK did it first?

I just know of the durability system in Marvel 3, which I thought was fairly unique.
Nah that was my mistake, the projectiles seem to be the same as SF4 (number of hits determine clash, more hits win out). Ryu just throw an EX Fireball but it's still blue as opposed to red.

The chip damage from normals and it being recoverable damage is definitely real. Just Defending is also in the game in some capacity although I am unsure as to the advantage of it as you still take chip while Just Defending.

WarRock

hadouken looked like it had multiple hits
Could swear only the EX hadouken had multiple hits, and it was the normal one clashing.
And the EX always guard crushed/staggered on block/whatever.

Hmmm, who knows, I still can't understand the whole non super shin shoryuken too.

"The biggest negative I can see coming from the $500k deal is that that tourney next years guna be lamed the fuck out.
No testing out new shit. No pullin out pocket characters. There's too much money on the line to try to be entertaining."

You think people weren't doing that for 30k?

The idea that competitors should try to be entertaining is one of the worst things to result from the stream monster mentality regardless of money being involved.

alstein

I would be shocked if parries were brought back as a universal mechanic in a mainline SF game. Everyone's aware of their warping effect now.

Given what appears to be other tweaks in the game, I'm going to give Ono the benefit of the doubt for now. The game isn't an instant buy for me until I know that SF3-style parries aren't in.

Dahbomb

Could swear only the EX hadouken had multiple hits, and it was the normal one clashing.
And the EX always guard crushed/staggered on block/whatever.

Hmmm, who knows, I still can't understand the whole non super shin shoryuken too.
He was in the powered up state that's why he was throwing those beefy fireballs.

Busaiku

Didn't Marvel have to negotiate with Fox to allow some X-Men/F4 characters in UMVC3?

Fox only has the rights to movies and licensing through those movies (so like toys and stuff specifically made for X-Men Days of Future Past would have to go through Fox).
They're still Marvel's characters outside of that, and they can do what they want.

Momochi, Ryan Hart and PR Balrog made that event hype. There was a lot great play. Daigo didn't live up to expectations based on Topanaga and the mythical prep time.

Was surprised by the counter picking (Xian, Infiltration, etc).

Glad to see more money will be involved next year. Will the game be played on PS4 next year?

BadWolf

Nah that was my mistake, the projectiles seem to be the same as SF4 (number of hits determine clash, more hits win out). Ryu just throw an EX Fireball but it's still blue as opposed to red.

The chip damage from normals and it being recoverable damage is definitely real. Just Defending is also in the game in some capacity although I am unsure as to the advantage of it as you still take chip while Just Defending.

Where do you see Just Defending?

It just looked like they were showcasing the new block animations with Chun Li blocking attacks differently depending on where they came from.

Anywho, Just Defending did the following in MOTW:

- Reduced guard stun from a move, you recovered faster by a few frames
- Gave some health back
- Let you guard cancel into any special move

The idea that competitors should try to be entertaining is one of the worst things to result from the stream monster mentality regardless of money being involved.

Fuck, ok. I think I may have come off kind of ignorant in that post. Entertaining is a bad word. All I meant was just that shit like this http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/sep/14/pr-balrog-i-respect-infiltration-picking-hakan-it-was-amazing-he-could-change-character-whos-not-easy-use-and-win/ is a lot less likely to happen when the chance of being half-a-millionaire is at stake.

Top Bottom