• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Cup 2014 | Fighting Game Tournament | Dec 13

Momochi, Ryan Hart and PR Balrog made that event hype. There was a lot great play. Daigo didn't live up to expectations based on Topanaga and the mythical prep time.

Was surprised by the counter picking (Xian, Infiltration, etc).

Glad to see more money will be involved next year. Will the game be played on PS4 next year?

There was no prep time involved in Xian and PR Rog. He probably didn't even know Xian had a Sim and how was he supposed to know he would run into Rog? Daigo simply lost composure against Rog. That shit was obvious halfway through the match. He started to drop combos, didn't try lengthy combos, and he was a lot less aggressive.

That's why I didn't think Daigo would win this tournament. He can be streaky in these tournaments. Evo, Taito Station, and the TGS tournaments are examples of that. Topanga World League, Capcom Asia Finals, and Topanga A League were all round robin long set tournaments.

I picked Momochi, Infiltration, and Fuudo to win. Momochi because he was playing amazing in Topanga, Infiltration just because of the amount of characters he knows and he's amazing, and Fuudo because I feel he's not prone to momentum shifts.

kasane

Sim match was hype tho

That round where daigo went insane against xian trying everything while xian was just blocking away

#fucksim

The game was being demoed, you expect pro level play in alpha? But I agree it looks good!! Tekken 7 looks decent also aside form some of the new character designs..

I wasn't expecting anybody or blaming anybody. I'm just so accustomed to watching high level play in the SF4 series so it wasn't too fun to watch Combo and Mike playing at a beginners level. Just my personal feelings, no harm no foul.

As for the game, it looks like they're moving towards making these normals move and look realistic instead of copy and pasting the old normals with better graphics. Kind of similar to the SF3 series where Ken, Ryu, and Chun had completely different looking normals for or normals that just looked a little different.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

CO_Andy

Despite a few hiccups (like the bracket rigging), this year's Cap Cup was much more hype than last year's. It's like a mini Evo experience.

Infiltration's Elena was really impressive. Much better than Gamerbee's.

Ryan Hart came extremely close to beating Momochi. If that had happen, Xian was likely to sweep the tournament with ease.

mbpm1

Ryan Hart came extremely close to beating Momochi. If that had happen, Xian was likely to sweep the tournament with ease.

Agree, that would have been nuts!

If he had DPed during the last string in the corner the same way he did in the first match he would have taken that set for sure.

mbpm1

So, explanation on the brackets and collu-xian?
They had an "internal bracket" which ran exactly like the online bracket we saw except for that one particular situation, which ran completely contrary to standard tournaments placing for no reason.

Yeah

Shouta

Despite a few hiccups (like the bracket rigging), this year's Cap Cup was much more hype than last year's. It's like a mini Evo experience.

Infiltration's Elena was really impressive. Much better than Gamerbee's.

Brackets weren't rigged. It seems the paper bracket they used in person had the slots where folks go to losers swapped compared to the form that they used online. That's why the matches went they way it did instead of how the online showed it. That isn't surprising at all actually since bracket templates can differ.

https://twitter.com/Slash5150/status/544018690077777920

It's a dumb mistake but it's just a mistake. No foul play.

FourMyle

I just want to say that the GF really showed how crucial longer sets can be.

Even just a change from 2/3 to 3/5 would be huge. I sincerely hope they plan better for next year and either make it a 2 day event or start earlier/cut out all the music so that way we can have 3/5 the whole way through.

Anyone knows of a restream somewhere ?

I know there are YT videos floating around but I like watching the whole event even with breaks. And you know how priceless those were yesterday :]

EDIT : nevermind capcomfighters is restreaming it :/
EDIT : just found out about Livestreamer the framerate is indeed a lot better on Source

Any videos of Choco's reaction?

They had a picture and picture set up, but might upload the whole thing/matches/post event commentary they did after. The snapshot I took for twitter purposes, but once again, picture and picture so its small.
B4yOodYIQAEPzs1.jpg

Tears of relief and joy obviously. They never made their commentator camera the main scene cause the show was still going and all, then went into SF5 trailers. After all the hoopla they did their post event wrap up when everyone calmed down. In general they were Olympics level hyped for when a Japanese player won or lost especially Momochi obviously. Not gonna lie though they were kinda uninterested with some of the matches, but that might be for a few different reasons. Random opinion; hope this kinda gives the Japan FGC a kick in the pants to have more open events, in streaming and entries. Laws blah blah blah, work around it like everyone else does in that country of loop holes. Make entry next door, and the payout down the street like a pachinko parlor, something.

Kimosabae

Banned
Personally, I don't think Momo stood a chance at winning until he squeezed out that victory against Ryan Hart. After that match, the confidence in his play skyrocketed, it seemed.

thelastword

Banned
Snakeyez diasapponted me, it just seems that he ate a million fireballs to the face. Usually he would be at deficit of 3/4 of his hp before he even touched his opponent. It was painful to watch Momochi and Du Dung body him.

Edit: Come to think of it, Ryan hart's loss was the most painful, all he had to do was touch Momochi and he would have won, he had almost an entire hp bar. That sucked hard.

Ryan technically still had a perfect in that last round. Momochi's Ken was down to less than 10% health and Ryan had not taken any actual damage while absorbing 2 fireballs in which he had recovered some life already. You could say the moment that defined the match was that Ryan didn't back off and got hit by a wake up DP. That completely turned the momentum in favor of Momochi and started the Guile theme.

You can hear how disinterested he is in his voice. Putting me to sleep. I need some east coast hype.

yeah i agree actually, i listened to the replay last night & my commentary was straight up boring for like 80% of the tournament. didn't have anything to do with snake eyez, more about being piped into the house mic i think. i felt it improved by the end as i got more and more used to that though, so hopefully if they do this in the future i'll know how to treat it better

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
yeah i agree actually, i listened to the replay last night & my commentary was straight up boring for like 80% of the tournament. didn't have anything to do with snake eyez, more about being piped into the house mic i think. i felt it improved by the end as i got more and more used to that though, so hopefully if they do this in the future i'll know how to treat it better
What did the players think about that, anyway?

Did everyone know that was going to be the set-up when they were going into it?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Did any of the players who played in the tournament give any feedback about what they thought of being able to hear what you guys are saying while they are playing? Some players opted not to use the headphones, so I guess they weren't that distracted by it? Did any players have comments about in-house commentating before the tournament, and did they change their opinions about it afterwards?

mbpm1

Good thing you have the yatagarasu commentator version of you so if you ever feel sleepy you can put that one in the future
Kappa

What did the players think about that, anyway?

Did everyone know that was going to be the set-up when they were going into it?

pr rog said it was ok, i don't think justin liked it though. i dunno what the rest thought. i don't know if the players knew, i mean i only found out a little bit before myself.

Good thing you have the yatagarasu commentator version of you so if you ever feel sleepy you can put that one in the future
Kappa

lol yeah i should just bring a sound board. cock a doodle doo!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I finally watched this yesterday from the archive and it was a killer tournament. Excellent job everyone this was entertaining to say the least!

Did any of the players who played in the tournament give any feedback about what they thought of being able to hear what you guys are saying while they are playing? Some players opted not to use the headphones, so I guess they weren't that distracted by it? Did any players have comments about in-house commentating before the tournament, and did they change their opinions about it afterwards?

Excellent question Rentahamster. I too would like to know this as I was wondering what the players were thinking about while hearing the commentary being spoken aloud.

I too would like to know this as I was wondering what the players were thinking about while hearing the commentary being spoken aloud.

It gets to your head even if it's positive and you're winning, because then you get scared of fucking up and the commentators making -even- more noise.

I noticed hardly (none?) used headphones.

Also first to 2 wins is
bad

Top Bottom