• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom on Monster Hunter possiblity on Switch: "Hope you enjoy it on 3DS first."

Eolz

And you think it will stay that way when there are now two systems in Japan which outsells the 3DS, while one is the effective succesor of it.

If systems outsell the 3DS, it's not because the userbase is leaving, it's because the 3DS is at 22M+ consoles sold, with no other classic platform even half near it.

You're overestimating the Switch right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was to release another 3DS revision.

Switch is advertised as Nintendo's new handheld in Japan.

3DS is not a legacy platform or in the near future but people will slowly move to other systems now - devs moving to other platforms as well will only accelerates it.

oti

Banned
Switch is advertised as Nintendo's new handheld in Japan.

3DS is not a legacy platform or in the near future but people will slowly move to other systems now - devs moving to other platforms as well will only accelerates it.

Of course they will, but you're waving away the price difference as if that was nothing. Switch is 330 Euros, the 2DS is 80 Euros. Nintendo needs that entry price for Smartphone users who want to buy into their little hardware cosmos.

Teran

Of course they will, but you're waving away the price difference as if that was nothing. Switch is 330 Euros, the 2DS is 80 Euros. Nintendo needs that entry price for Smartphone users who want to buy into their little hardware cosmos.

The Japanese price of the Switch is actually quite a lot lower, at around 245+/- Euros depending on exchange rates. It's obviously still not exactly cheap, but definitely not as bad as we have it abroad.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So the 3 hour undocked Zelda stuff was all made up? What is the actual battery time for the system?

As others have said, 2.5-6 hours (and yeah, Zelda is 2.5 hours).

But that's the point: the original 3DS managed 3 to 5 hours. It got bashed for it pretty hard by the way. Heck, I got in on the action. But while the 3DS didn't get a pass for it at the time, the Switch sorta gets a pass. Its horsepower is state-of-the-art for $300 mobile hardware in 2017, whereas the 3DS was much more conservative and was the successor to the DS, a system that had great battery life. Also, the limitations of battery tech are even more of a bottleneck now than they were 6 years ago.

Basically: 3-5 hours was shit back then and certainly didn't live up to consumer expectations, but it's very decent in 2017. It's sad, but that's the way it is. Battery tech sucks. Hard to fault Nintendo for it. Other manufacturers would deal with the same issue unless they drastically cut down on graphics horsepower or put a massive, bulky battery in it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If they could pull this and Pokemon for Holiday 2017, sales would be really interesting to say the least.

oti

Banned
As others have said, 2.5-6 hours (and yeah, Zelda is 2.5 hours).

But that's the point: the original 3DS managed 3 to 5 hours. It got bashed for it pretty hard by the way. Heck, I got in on the action. But while the 3DS didn't get a pass for it at the time, the Switch sorta gets a pass. Its horsepower is state-of-the-art for $300 mobile hardware in 2017, whereas the 3DS was much more conservative and was the successor to the DS, a system that had great battery life. Also, the limitations of battery tech are even more of a bottleneck now than they were 6 years ago.

Basically: 3-5 hours was shit back then and certainly didn't live up to consumer expectations, but it's very decent in 2017. It's sad, but that's the way it is. Battery tech sucks. Hard to fault Nintendo for it. Other manufacturers would deal with the same issue unless they drastically cut down on graphics horsepower or put a massive, bulky battery in it.

Consumers adapt their expectations according to their experiences. Battery tech just sucks all around. Having the DS run and run and run feels like a distant dream nowadays. What a shame.

Intel_89

XX on the Switch will have a similar graphical fidelity to MH3U on Wii U, a new MH game built from the ground up for the Switch on the other hand could turn out to be the best looking MH game developed by Capcom.

Peltz

I think this is one of those announcements that Nintendo will want to make via a direct or on a Digital Event at E3. Chances are, he can't disclose until then.

i-Jest

I expect will get a Monster Hunter Direct before long announcing a Generations Ultimate and Stories for the West as a nice sendoff for the 3DS. Even though the latter underperformed in Japan, bringing it over would be a way to recoup some of its costs.

I should hope so since I've been looking forward to the games localization.

That didn't do too hot in Japan, I wouldn't expect that to come out at all over here

Why'd it sell so bad? Was the gameplay such a departure from what fans expect from Monster Hunter?

Stories got boring fast.

How so, was gameplay repetitious?

I'm ok with them taking their time moving over to switch development for purely selfish reasons - none of my other Monster Hunter playing friends have a switch yet, and after playing 3U, 4U and Generations over the course of a couple of years I'm feeling a little burned out on the formula. But the promise of the next mainline game on a hybrid system is literally a perfect fit.

NewGame

Banned
So Capcom are going to release the 3DS version and then later release the Switch version?

3 Ultimate came out simultaneously for the WiiU and 3DS

4 came out in Japan exclusively and then 4U was localized for the west whilst the Japanese had to re-buy the game.

Generations was released in Japan and then localized several months later.

I'm guessing their tactics is to make the Japanese play on the 3DS, release a Switch version later with the option to port your save data across. Dirty dirty capcpom.

Zedark

If they could pull this and Pokemon for Holiday 2017, sales would be really interesting to say the least.
My opinion is they have to have something like that lined up, otherwise I can't for the life of me see why they would ramp up production by 8 million. The question is when they decided to do this: we heard about it 2 weeks after launch, but this decision could have been made much earlier, when they realised they were getting monsters like pokémon and monster Hunter in the next fiscal year.

My opinion is they have to have something like that lined up, otherwise I can't for the life of me see why they would ramp up production by 8 million. The question is when they decided to do this: we heard about it 2 weeks after launch, but this decision could have been made much earlier, when they realised they were getting monsters like pokémon and monster Hunter in the next fiscal year.

Monsters like Pocket Monsters and Monster Hunter... lol

also dont forget Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade chronicles 2

Zedark

True, especially Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 in addition to a surprise like I theorised before would warrant a shipment increase like they seem to be doing I think. Xenoblade 2 in addition will have some (albeit lesser) attractie power for the JRPG crowd.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

What's Xenoblade going to do in Japan? Eek out another 80-120k?

I'm not convinced that a port or derivative Monster Hunter and Pokemon convert all those 3DS owners this fall. New versions next year maybe. But everything in tandem (3D Mario, Smash DX, Pokemon Stars) could work wonders.

Zedark

I'm not convinced that a port or derivative Monster Hunter and Pokemon convert all those 3DS owners this fall. New versions next year maybe. But everything in tandem (3D Mario, Smash DX, Pokemon Stars) could work wonders.

We know the power pokémon had in Q4 2016 for the 3DS, if the Switch version could have a fraction of that power it would create a great base of Zelda, Mario, Splatoon and Pokémon that would convince a lot of people that the system has a good enough game lineup to jump in I think. This base above all could give the system some serious selling power imo.

Oregano

Xenoblade 3D did about as well as Xenoblade X in Japan so a brand new entry on a more attractive, handheld platform does have potential to do more. It's not going to be a million seller or anything but it could do better.

They no longer need the cheap entry. That is becoming mobile games for them. Their mobile games are there to make people aware of their content. They don't have to put out entry level hardware for that anymore. Given most people already have a smartphone or tablet that means their entry to Nintendo franchises is now effectively 0 Euros.

Kade

I didn't get into Generations as much as 4 and 3U but a Switch port of XX would probably get me back into the series again.

PtM

Banned
They no longer need the cheap entry. That is becoming mobile games for them. Their mobile games are there to make people aware of their content. They don't have to put out entry level hardware for that anymore. Given most people already have a smartphone or tablet that means their entry to Nintendo franchises is now effectively 0 Euros.
Makes sense. Not.

Forget about entry semantics, cheap hardware is always a good selling point.

Makes sense. Not.

Forget about entry semantics, cheap hardware is always a good selling point.

It makes huge amounts of sense to have recurring income stream that also is the best form of advertising. To do that without having to invest in making the software or hardware themselves no less.

Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it will sell well. It's always about value. Gamecube was $99 for much of it's lifespan but that wasn't enough of a selling point in the market for it.

Vaev

Consumers adapt their expectations according to their experiences. Battery tech just sucks all around. Having the DS run and run and run feels like a distant dream nowadays. What a shame.

With great power comes great (charging) responsibility.

Pejo

This better happen, it's a large reason that I bought a switch. Probably want to get what they can get from the 3DS versions first, before announcing it though.

I'm ok with letting XX play out, and then doing a fresh MH5 on the Switch. New weapons, keep the QoL improvements, and HD ASSETS! I personally like Styles, but I wouldn't be too upset if they decided not to use them, too.

I love MH to death, but I cannot wait to get out of 240p hell.

PtM

Banned
It makes huge amounts of sense to have recurring income stream that also is the best form of advertising. To do that without having to invest in making the software or hardware themselves no less.

Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it will sell well. It's always about value. Gamecube was $99 for much of it's lifespan but that wasn't enough of a selling point in the market for it.
I haven't addressed the mobile games?
The cube didn't fail because of its price.
This better happen, it's a large reason that I bought a switch.
That's on you.

I haven't addressed the mobile games?
The cube didn't fail because of its price.

Considering that is mostly what my first post was about I'm not sure what else you might think doesn't make sense.

I know the gamecube didn't fail because of it's price. It simply goes against your previously stated idea that cheap hardware is always a good selling point.

PtM

Banned
Considering that is mostly what my first post was about I'm not sure what else you might think doesn't make sense.

I know the gamecube didn't fail because of it's price. It simply goes against your previously stated idea that cheap hardware is always a good selling point.
That they don't need a(nother) cheap entry level anymore?

It wasn't good enough for GCN, doesn't mean it wasn't good.

That they don't need a(nother) cheap entry level anymore?

It wasn't good enough for GCN, doesn't mean it wasn't good.

What for? By the time the 2DS/3DS is defunct the Switch and it's redesign(s) can fill that niche themselves. It's not 1989 anymore. $179 will be the low with inflation.

Touche.

Astral Dog

the switch can have a maximum of over 6 hours, and not evey game on it is gonna be freaking zelda
Zelda does alot of stuff but i wonder how signifantly better looking will fare on the Switch,linear and otherwise.

After all Zelda is still 100% Wii U port

I wonder if the Switch version might be one of their E3 bombs to drop

between this, pokemon and mario this year?

holy shit that would be bonkers

PLEASE capcom

wwm0nkey

I wonder if the Switch version might be one of their E3 bombs to drop

between this, pokemon and mario this year?

holy shit that would be bonkers

PLEASE capcom

If their Fall/Winter line up was Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem AND Monster Hunter it will probably be a good thing they doubled their production

If their Fall/Winter line up was Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem AND Monster Hunter it will probably be a good thing they doubled their production

I pray Gamefreak doesn't try and rush a Pokemon game for this year, unless it's like Stars or something. And wasn't FE announced as a 2018 game?

wwm0nkey

I pray Gamefreak doesn't try and rush a Pokemon game for this year, unless it's like Stars or something. And wasn't FE announced as a 2018 game?

I was talking Stars, also Fire Emblem Warriors. I still don't believe Xenoblade 2 is hitting this year but that would be another big one

I would be quite happy with visuals on par with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U, just gimmie a new Monster Hunter with a comfortable controller!

Zedark

Which could be a reason why they increased production so much. It's a very curious situation for sure.

Was hoping they'd use it as an opportunity to jump to PS4 or something :(

Monster Hunter does best on handhelds and I'm pretty sure Nintendo have had some kind of deal with Capcom ever since 3 Ultimate. It would be nice to have a Switch/PS4 multiplatform Monster Hunter but I don't think it's likely.

I would not be surprised if the western release of xx during will be during the holidays and it will have a switch version. Gotta milk The japanese monhun fans one last time on 3ds since they will most likely jump on a likely switch monhun bundle during a pre TGS announcement

Kouriozan

Gotta milk The japanese monhun fans one last time on 3ds since they will most likely jump on a likely switch monhun bundle during a pre TGS announcement
Well it came way earlier than TGS, but this thread was basically "don't be shocked if it gets announced on Switch"
Now we wait for localization announcement at E3 hopefully.

Top Bottom