• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom on Monster Hunter possiblity on Switch: "Hope you enjoy it on 3DS first."

redcrayon

I won't be playing anymore MH on 3DS.

Happy to wait for new MH games Switch and/or PS4.

Edit:

I mean, seriously, who isn't holding out for this?

JLPiJx7.jpg
Just because I very much want that doesn't mean I'm not happy to play whatever gets released while we wait :D

Ion Guru

I've never played a Monster Hunter game but I've been eagerly awaiting the day when one is released on a console I actually own. I skipped the Wii U and 3DS, so I'm really looking forward to a possible Switch release (and, to be honest, I'm not sure I really want to play 240p Monster Hunter anyway). I've heard great things about the series and it really seems like it might be my jam.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll probably get Generations Ultimate if it releases. I didn't love Generations mainly because I don't like non G Rank MH too much. Super excited about being able to reskin armor though.

]Switch makes sense put the portable nature of the MH series is utterly nullified on a system that manages barely 3 hours before the battery is dead.[/b]

Port the Generations/Cross edition for Switch and make a mainline MH5 on pc, Ps4 and Xbox.

Just like the initial problems of the OG 3DS being a viable portable system before sales exploded were because of its three hour battery life and totally not due to the fact it didn't have a single killer launch title, right? Vita had a roughly 3-4 hour battery life as well. Not really seeing why some keep going with the "3 hour battery is a rare anomaly in the portable gaming industry" straw man in these threads.The only people who would benefit from mainline MH being moved to PS5 and XB1 would be whoever gets the money hats at Capcom and gamers in Japan who would somehow be OK with the most popular portable driven series in the country being largely moved to home systems. The fact Switch is a hybrid and bigger than a 3DS doesn't change this discussion. Nintendo has to do their part to maintain momentum obviously but so far the launch has been a huge success, so where is the public outcry over its 3 hour battery life that we're supposed to be seeing?

Chopini

Neo Member
I can hardly stand Monster Hunter 3DS graphic and in those tiny screen anymore.
Not to mention my first MH experience is MH3U on WiiU. Hope it come to Switch soon.

I guess that I can understand Capcom's reasoning in not wanting to undercut the sales of MHXX on 3DS and after the backlash 4U received simply for having enhancements on n3DS I can imagine that there were real concerns about infuriating the base with a superior version of XX on a supply constrained Switch.

Once the Switch reaches a point where it can support a game expected to move between 3-4 million copies in Japan I think we'll see a quick announcement of something MH on the console.

XX 3DS is going to be the first MH game I skip since MHFU, and I loved X. C'mon, Capcom, the hardware sucks and there are better options out there.

I mean, seriously, who isn't holding out for this?

JLPiJx7.jpg

I fucking came in my pants just seeing this.

I haven't played a Monster Hunter game ever since they abandoned the PSP and move on to the 3DS, but my heart is still with the franchise. In my opinion Monster Hunter has one of the most interesting and creative universe ever created in gaming history.

Now that I finally got a Switch, technically my first Nintendo console, I can't imagine what it's like to be playing MH again on a handheld....with visuals equivalent to MH3U or better...

CAN'T..CONTAIN...EXCITEMENT

d45081df0711f88cf2e1195f255bd1e2.jpg

I'm honestly kind of surprised Nintendo hasn't tried to create their own spin on the Monster Hunter formula. There's no guarantee Capcom will stick by them forever.

Yeah, I've already destroyed two n3DS nubs and my eyes are getting too old to look at that low res 3DS screen but if Capcom insists on torturing us with more 3DS MH I'll have to suffer through it. I thought for sure that those MH PS4 rumors were true but the console is going into it's 4th year, there's no reason why a game wouldn't have been announced by now if it were coming. Capcom continuing to milk the franchise on 3DS hints that they're waiting to move it to another platform that's not ready for it yet so our best hope is that Nintendo does what they need to do to grow the Switch base in Japan to speed the process up.

ToTi

I can't wait for a mh on switch! I'm going to skip xx for 3ds though, for some reason I didn't really like mhgen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder what the sales of new 3DS games will be like as more switches are sold. As more people experience the gulf in performance between 3DS and switch, they might start to hold off buying on 3DS - especially if they think there is hope for a switch version.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I wonder what the sales of new 3DS games will be like as more switches are sold. As more people experience the gulf in performance between 3DS and switch, they might start to hold off buying on 3DS - especially if they think there is hope for a switch version.

Thats why i dont expected a western release of the 3DS version - MH Generations sales already were a bit down from its predecessors. The Nintendo hardcore handheld fans who play MH will likely upgrade to the Switch very fast - good look getting them to play another 3DS version.

Eolz

Honestly, I didn't really like Gen/X, but if there's a good Switch version of XX, I'll give it a second chance.

I'm honestly kind of surprised Nintendo hasn't tried to create their own spin on the Monster Hunter formula. There's no guarantee Capcom will stick by them forever.

As long as Nintendo can get third parties to do stuff for them that they know is good, they'll always prefer deals. Even if they pay them for their exclusive Nintendo spinoff version, like with KT and the Warriors games.

HeeHo

I saw someone mention re-skinning armor. Is this the same kind of idea where Diablo 3 lets you wear whatever cosmetic look you want but still retains the stats of original armor? If so, I'm not really a fan of that. It'll take away the uniqueness of sets appearance. Everyone will just be wearing the coolest looking armor.

Petty complaint from me, I understand.

I can't wait for a mh on switch! I'm going to skip xx for 3ds though, for some reason I didn't really like mhgen.

add me to the list boys

i will also be skipping XX on 3DS

for the first time im skipping a MH release

lets hope they do cross gen for the west

Teepo671

Hmm, that'd be pretty damn nice! MH3U with online is what ultimately lead to me picking up a Wii U so a new MH game on the Switch would probably get me to picking up that console/handheld, assuming it's exclusive to the Switch and doesn't also come out on the PS4.

Not too sure how comfortable a Switch is to hold but that's another annoyance I have with the portable versions. Really uncomfortable to play for long stretches of time.

Yeah, I've already destroyed two n3DS nubs and my eyes are getting too old to look at that low res 3DS screen but if Capcom insists on torturing us with more 3DS MH I'll have to suffer through it. I thought for sure that those MH PS4 rumors were true but the console is going into it's 4th year, there's no reason why a game wouldn't have been announced by now if it were coming. Capcom continuing to milk the franchise on 3DS hints that they're waiting to move it to another platform that's not ready for it yet so our best hope is that Nintendo does what they need to do to grow the Switch base in Japan to speed the process up.
Seriously, look up the psp stick mod you can do for the n3DS nub. It is more sensitive and accurate than the original nub and it fits perfectly. Takes 2 minutes to install and makes the experience so much better.

Monster Hunter is on a 1 year dev cycle
3DS is perfect for that
PS4 & PC isn't, the resources needed for content creation is orders of magnitude higher

So you think they'll be making 3DS games forever? Because the same can be said for if they wanted to create a Switch game.

hatchx

Banned
Monster Hunter was on Wii, wiiU, and 3DS so it's not surprising it'll come to Switch at some point. I wonder if it would be an HD'd MH3/4/XX...or if they will just go balls out with a MonHun5 announcement. Switch seems like the natural choice as a handheld, and with the major graphics bump Capcom could really take it to a new generation.

nubbe

So you think they'll be making 3DS games forever? Because the same can be said for if they wanted to create a Switch game.

They will make 3DS versions as long as the sales are there
And the sales will be there for probably 2 more years
3DS is almost at 70 million install base and will continue to grow for another year or two.

People need to realize the real world revolves around money.
Not your favorite console fantasy.

Seriously, look up the psp stick mod you can do for the n3DS nub. It is more sensitive and accurate than the original nub and it fits perfectly. Takes 2 minutes to install and makes the experience so much better.

I meant to do that and I can't remember why I didn't before I replaced the 2nd one. I'll definitely see if I can find one on eBay if XX gets localized.

3DS is almost at 70 million install base and will continue to grow for another year or two.

The DS had an install base of over 150 million and it lasted around eight years. 3DS probably has one more year left.

But your logic implies they'll be making MH games for 3DS forever then. No console fantasy here my friend. But we can revisit this topic later in the year.

Both solutions are bad honestly, MH3 vanilla sold badly due to noone owning a 3ds. Same thing if 5 releases in next 18months on Switch.

Switch makes sense put the portable nature of the MH series is utterly nullified on a system that manages barely 3 hours before the battery is dead.

Port the Generations/Cross edition for Switch and make a mainline MH5 on pc, Ps4 and Xbox.
Someone has been drinking too much of Gafs anti-hype coolaid.

The 3DS and Vita have, give or take, the exact same battery life as the Switch.

nubbe

Both solutions are bad honestly, MH3 vanilla sold badly due to noone owning a 3ds. Same thing if 5 releases in next 18months on Switch.

Switch has the potential to have around 18 million units on the market by this time next year if Nintendo's predictions hold up.
So MH5 would do well on a fresh and active platform and at the same time sell to those with 3DS that have not yet shifted platform.

Raide

Someone has been drinking too much of Gafs anti-hype coolaid.

The 3DS and Vita have, give or take, the exact same battery life as the Switch.

So the 3 hour undocked Zelda stuff was all made up? What is the actual battery time for the system?

Usobuko

Banned
I think it's a missed opportunity if they don't aim for multiplat releases. By that I mean PS4 and PC.

Not because I'm a stan for both platforms but I think it's viable to port them there.

oti

Banned
And you think it will stay that way when there are now two systems in Japan which outsells the 3DS, while one is the effective succesor of it.

You're overestimating the Switch right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was to release another 3DS revision.

Except he stated 2 years which is a reasonable period for a transition to a successor

Read the whole exchange. Yes, PS4 and PC require high quality assets and an all-round larger budget, but so will Switch and ultimately, that doesn't mean Capcom aren't going to do it. It's common sense to think that the series is going to have to transition to a newer platform soon, and you're kidding yourself if you think Capcom hasn't already begun making preparations to do so.

Top Bottom