• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom teases new PS4 game

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC2 has its merits, namely:

-Introduced wall-running which later became integrated into DMC3's Trickster Style.
-Introduced the much appreciated Mission Select Screen.
-Game's got a giant-face boss or two. Bonus points.
-Contains one of the best, if not best Goddess of Time Statue music tracks.
-Dante rides into Hell at the very end of the game and inadvertently arrives in the best PS2 RPG; SMT: Nocturne.

That's all I'll give it though.

It was also the first entry to have a Bloody Palace.

It had some neat ideas, but all of them were done really poorly.

Kuja9001

Banned
Vergil's heel turn at the end of the game is poorly set up and feels like the writers remembered at the last second "oh wait, he's a villain in the old games".

He drops little hints here and there throughout the game so that's not accurate.

"do we really want to make a game that has a story about the evils of big business/mass marketing in a game that features a protagonist who is a glorified Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?"

DMC3 Dante was definitely a ninja turtle.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
He drops little hints here and there throughout the game so that's not accurate.

It's shoehorned in. There's little actual contentious dialogue between the brothers throughout the game. Slight jabs here and there, but there is never any indication that Vergil has some larger scheme or any desire for greatness. And the fact that there's around two lines at the end before Vergil decides fighting is the only answer makes him look like an idiot rather than the genius he's supposed to be.

It's very clear that Vergil wasn't originally written to be an antagonist, but they threw it in at the end because they felt obligated to. The entire scene suffers as a result.

Head.spawn

xs0pv67.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBEXSiFzOfU

DrunkGuy2.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Reuben Langon recently retweeted something from Johnny Yong Bosch:

Reuben Langdon retweeted
Johnny Yong Bosch @johnnyyongbosch · Nov 23
“The difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them.”

He tweeted this on November 23. 23. 2. 3. 2+3 = 5.

And also tweeted this:
Reuben Langdon retweeted
Abby Martin @AbbyMartin · Nov 20
"The thing worse than rebellion is the thing that causes rebellion." Frederick Douglass

Reuben Langdon + Johnny Young Bosch + Rebellion + 5 = DMC5 Confirmed
:D

Kuja9001

Banned
It's shoehorned in. There's little actual contentious dialogue between the brothers throughout the game. Slight jabs here and there, but there is never any indication that Vergil has some larger scheme or any desire for greatness. And the fact that there's around two lines at the end before Vergil decides fighting is the only answer makes him look like an idiot rather than the genius he's supposed to be.

It's very clear that Vergil wasn't originally written to be an antagonist, but they threw it in at the end because they felt obligated to. The entire scene suffers as a result.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion but whatever.

I would say it's more down to bad execution. The whole "Power vacuum" speech by Phineas was foreshadowing, as was Vergil's "They are just minions" attitude towards humans in his organization (especially Kat). The fact that it still came across as a "Well, we have to do this" speaks to the bad execution.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I would say it's more down to bad execution. The whole "Power vacuum" speech by Phineas was foreshadowing, as was Vergil's "They are just minions" attitude towards humans in his organization (especially Kat). The fact that it still came across as a "Well, we have to do this" speaks to the bad execution.

I suppose that's possible, but poor execution on what is arguably the most important moment of a game that was rebooted with the express intent to have stronger writing and character development is pretty damning. And if that's the case, it's even worse than shoe-horning in the fight. You can't even say that their hand was forced.

Capcom used to be my favourite developer until they completely stuffed up Resident Evil (with part 6) then disappeared off the map (only game I know they brought out since then has been add on for Dragon's Dogma).

I love the polisha and creativity of their games of old....so i've got my fingers crossed they can deliver something special on Ps4. Here's hoping it is Dino Crisis, next gen Monster Hunter or Dragons Dogma 2 (with co-op). All in that order.

Astral Dog

I suppose that's possible, but poor execution on what is arguably the most important moment of a game that was rebooted with the express intent to have stronger writing and character development is pretty damning. And if that's the case, it's even worse than shoe-horning in the fight. You can't even say that their hand was forced.

They even show you young Vergil beated up by Dante implyimg that he was envious,or something.
what it means?

DmC's story is essentially "I see what you are going for, but you did it poorly" The Video Game. And yeah, like I said, the fact that despite not coming out of no where it still felt like that speaks to the weakness of the writing.

They even show you young Vergil beated up by Dante implyimg that he was envious,or something.
what it means?

That was DLC.

Astral Dog

DmC's story is essentially "I see what you are going for, but you did it poorly" The Video Game. And yeah, like I said, the fact that despite not coming out of no where it still felt like that speaks to the weakness of the writing.

That was DLC.

oh sorry, i never played the dlc., that was out of nowhere.

Just sounds like they made a DMC game.

A DMC game that was trying to sell itself on having a much better story than previous iterations. Believe me, I have no illusions that previous DMC's were anything but hair brained, but at no point were they trying to sell themselves as the next step in video game storytelling.

Now, stop that!

It would be pretty stupid of capcom if they did do it to be fair.

Every remaster so far not only has been crtically acclaimed, it has had sold a decent amount first time around.

DmC divided a very vocal fanbase and sold like garbage im comparison to its predecessor. The fact it is at 1.3 million sold doesn't take into account the dirt cheap prices it has been sold at, shortly after launch. Not mention being given away for free with plus.

But, its very much a "Capcom" move. Wouldn't even be surprised if they saw it as a test of how well a DMC5 would do, and then cancelling it when the remaster sells next to nothing.

If it does happen, im done with the franchise. Capcom will prove they haven't got a clue what to do with the ip. Even a DmC2 would make more sense.

Hoping it isnt true, but there is artwork of a ultimate DmC floating around. Urgh.

klee123

The only franchise I can see Capcom releasing on the PS4 is Dragon's Dogma. Like Dead Rising, it's one of those franchises which are not completely AAA like RE or SF, but still pulls 1-2 million in sales.

Before any of you guys mention that Sony can't afford it, there have been quite a few third party announcements exclusive to PS platforms if going by this year's TGS.

Not to mention that Sony was able to get From Software to do a completely new game exclusively for them.

The only franchise I can see Capcom releasing on the PS4 is Dragon's Dogma. Like Dead Rising, it's one of those franchises which are not completely AAA like RE or SF, but still pulls 1-2 million in sales.

Before any of you guys mention that Sony can't afford it, there have been quite a few third party announcements exclusive to PS platforms if going by this year's TGS.

Not to mention that Sony was able to get From Software to do a completely new game exclusively for them.

Didn't Dragon's Dogma have the largest development team in Capcom's history. Pretty sure that translated into a big budget.

majik13

Dragon's Dogma 2 or bust. Hell even Dragons Dogma Remaster.

Yeah, as mentioned DD was their biggest budget game to date at the time. Not sure if its been surpassed by now. And didnt sell more than 1 million copies, I beleive. Which is their magic number criteria to green light a sequal. Which sucks because I think a new IP needs to be nurtured and grow, with good word of mouth, like DD has, a sequal could be a blockbuster for them.

Edit: The criteria for a sequal is 2 million actually

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-wants-a-game-to-sell-2-million-copies-befor/1100-6422905/

klee123

majik13

interesting, well whatever it was they have used the excuse, or at least articles have been written as to why there is no DD2. Perhaps it had to be within a certain timeframe? I dunno

I always thought it was common knowledge that DD didnt meet targeted expectations, and only did OK.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-wants-a-game-to-sell-2-million-copies-befor/1100-6422905/

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
interesting, well whatever it was they have used the excuse, or at least articles have been written as to why there is no DD2. Perhaps it had to be within a certain timeframe? I dunno

I always thought it was common knowledge that DD didnt meet targeted expectations, and only did OK.

If I'm not mistaken, vanilla Dogma and Dark Arisen combined had a little over 2 million sales. Given that the game sold almost entirely on word of mouth, I think Capcom should count themselves lucky it got so popular.

I figure the reason we haven't heard anything about a sequel yet is because Dark Arisen only came out just last year. It feels like a long time, and the series has so much potential we're eager to see become realized, but we must be patient and supportive.

majik13

If I'm not mistaken, vanilla Dogma and Dark Arisen combined had a little over 2 million sales. Given that the game sold almost entirely on word of mouth, I think Capcom should count themselves lucky it got so popular.

I figure the reason we haven't heard anything about a sequel yet is because Dark Arisen only came out just last year. It feels like a long time, and the series has so much potential we're eager to see become realized, but we must be patient and supportive.

Hopefully, but I wonder if they treat Vanalla and the Expansion as a single title with regards to what Ono says about 2 million sales or bust. Or each as a seperate title with seperate sales. I also wonder how strict they are on this rule or if it's even something they still practice today.

Im hoping they will come through but not holding my breath, based on other decisions they have made.

Lernaean

Banned
You know, hearing all those news, and sharing all those pages of baseless speculation :)P) with you guys, i just realized one thing.
I just want this gen to start, and with it, being mostly a Japanese game player, i want the Japanese devs to catch the wave and move on with the generation.

I've shared my opinion in other threads as well, and between some great moments of very constructive discussion and also much shitposting by raving fanboys who can't think straight when certain keywords are spelled, my opinion remains that Nintendo is the only platform holder and publisher that has shown a clear step forward compared to it's previous gen.
Some may say that it doesn't mean much, because underpowered system yadayada, but it does. Sony and MS, both as platform holders, along with almost every other publisher, sadly including the Japanese ones, that i care about mostly, have failed to show us anything that would absolutely wow us, but most importantly that will make us see that we are living through a new gen, and this is actually the step forward.

Which brings us to Capcom, our actual topic here.
I don't know how you guys see Capcom. There has been much criticism on the publisher lately, some justified and some full of hyperbole imo, but i do think that Capcom has everything they need to still make excellent games.

RE6, has been the target of most of the criticism, but i, and i know of countless others too, believe that it is the RE entry that actually tried to do break the Mikami-clone-mold that Capcom created with RE5 and actually advance the series. It offered and amazing, yet rough combat system, one which i always said that you shouldn't play like a RE4 but as a Vanquish, and it set the foundation for something new, for the first time since RE4.
Let's accept it. RE has been an action horror title since RE2, there's no need to hide behind our own finger here. At least RE6 managed to be one of the best action titles available. I also think that the art in that game was awesome and at times very creepy. The multiple campaigns was a bad idea though.

What other games did last gen Capcom gave us?
SFIV, criticized as well, mostly because it wasn't some other SF though. In general it was a great game.
Dragon's Dogma. I don't need to say more. The requests in this very thread say it all.
DMC4. Again, little need to be said.
The handheld titles, PWAA, MonHun, RE Rev, all great games.

Capcom can and will make great games.
So what's the problem? Why don't we have the games that will start defining the gen?

I think the problem is Panta Rhei.
It's been almost certain to me that the new engine is giving them problems. Hell, it's been almost certain to me that one of the reasons RE Rev 2 exists is because they wan't to keep interest high before they can show RE7, which is definitely under development, but can't really show it before the engine is optimized.
Deep Down, one of the most interesting titles for me is also being delayed, and i think it's because the engine is giving them trouble.

I have no doubt they will make it in the end, and another stream of good games will start flowing. I think all we need is patience.
Now, which these games are going to be, i can't really tell. It's all speculation.
I just personally wish it's a DMC5 first, cause it's been a long while, and then i promise you I'll be the first one screaming with you for a DD2 :p

Sorry for the long rant.

Akiller

What about Devil May Cry 0?A game with Sparda main character and finally tell us the story of His rebellion against demons,His fight against Mundus and How he met Eva.
It would be a sort of reboot-new start but without abandoning the original DMC brand.

Lernaean

Banned
What about Devil May Cry 0?A game with Sparda main character and finally tell us the story of His rebellion against demons,His fight against Mundus and How he met Eva.
It would be a sort of reboot-new start but without abandoning the original DMC brand.

I'd play that.

Finally a bona fide Gargoyle's Quest 3. That is indeed a great idea with a lot of potential, Capcom. The series always had a lot of creative and tight platforming, where the progression of the stage could snake around in any given direction, and 3D worlds' extra axis would bring a new element to these existing mechanics. The newly available processing power would allow them to do the aesthetic justice, as strong lighting direction is a key element of the look, and destructible environments could also help drive home the theme of a ruined, ghoulish world. Just keep gameplay top priority, and the focus on story low. You could even piggyback off the popularity of the Souls series if you need a vague marketing connection to another series.

Please? :(

A DMC game that was trying to sell itself on having a much better story than previous iterations. Believe me, I have no illusions that previous DMC's were anything but hair brained, but at no point were they trying to sell themselves as the next step in video game storytelling.

I noticed that every time we get to this part of the debate, the DmC supporters have nothing else to add and just restart the argument with something else.

Top Bottom