• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh they had better not screw up the core gameplay of this franchise.

If I have to, I'll buy a PS4 if that's where it ends up but please don't mess with the core gameplay.

I mean...that's a no brainer Capcom....Outside of Japan, a majority of us Western folks game in front of a TV or on our phones.

The other problem with handhelds is that the controls for something like Monster Hunter are something to be desired. I cannot do long plays on my 3DS without using equipment to take the strain off my hands. I've had some pain in my hands after trying to play for long periods. I also know someone whose neck problems prevents them from playing on handhelds for long periods of time.

Honestly, they should not of put the series on handheld to begin with. It's whatever now, they see it's a problem and are looking for outlets to put it back on an actual controller. I mean, I'm fighting a huge beast, having the game on a large TV just makes more sense presentation wise.

crinale

While this is true, I don't think you can apply the same logic that Sony would be as open to something that would presumably be peer-to-peer like previous Monster Hunter titles versus a straight-up MMO.

Actually, that's a really good question the Japanese crowd: do all the various versions of MHFO share the same servers, or are they isolated based on their platform?

All Playstation and PC versions do share same servers on MHF.

Honestly, they should not of put the series on handheld to begin with. It's whatever now, they see it's a problem and are looking for outlets to put it back on an actual controller. I mean, I'm fighting a huge beast, having the game on a large TV just makes more sense presentation wise.

Honestly the initial "port" of MH series to handheld (MHP1) wasn't all that good.. It did have some original elements but loading time were horrible. It really wasn't until PSP2000 that game finally could run decently. I must admit that rather unfair balancing of MH2 made people to consider other versions (MHP1 and MH2 were released within close dates).

Switch confirmed then...
nintendo-nx-announcement.jpg

The west cause PS4 of course.

I'm not even throwing shade. I bought a 3DS just to play MH4U adter holding out for a WiiU version. I will follow the series wherever it goes. I really like the games and the pkatforms dont bother me. But everyone going "PS4 was the obvious choice fron day one", have any if yall actually looked at where the games fanbase is?

You aren't going to be able to sell a vanilla version, an ultinate version and reach roughly 10 million units between the 2 on PS4 and X1 . It's not fucking possible. If Sony just straight up money hatted it yeah sure. But unless Switch is a massive failure, I can't picture them leaving it out.

So there are fans of the game who prefer to not play their game at all for a decade, rather than playing it on Nintendo consoles?
Why? Buttons too clicky?

Incentive? The series has bounced all over the place, people follow platforms typically. I almost always buy Sony platforms, and I really enjoyed monster hunter on PS2 and PSP. It's a 3rd party title and should be on multiple platforms anyway.

If it wasn't for Handhelds you might not even be playing MH lmao.

I umderstand liking console MH (its my prefereef way to play) some of yall are insane.

Vena

Not this again...
1) XX isn't particularly a difficult name to find and others before him jokes about it, even on gaf
2) his post was actually after the reveal

If it's the rumor Mr Pointy made a thread on, that was posted many hours before the reveal.

Assuming I am looking at the same thing because no one has reference anything.

Neoxon

Not this again...
  1. XX isn't particularly a difficult name to find and others before him jokes about it, even on gaf
  2. his post was actually after the reveal
I actually wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the heads-up.

If it's the rumor Mr Pointy made a thread on, that was posted many hours before the reveal.
I think he's referring to the 4chan rumor.

Eolz

My bad then, in this case, I've just seen the repost. Need to find links again and not just a pic.
(Edit I'm talking about the 4chan post yeah, their integrated archive is a pain to navigate)

sanstesy

You can link me that thread? Thanks. People on here said that it was after the reveal that rumor got posted, so that's why I didn't believe it either before this thread.

I don't know why they haven't tried the series on Steam yet. DS3 sold over a million alone on Steam this year and growing. Capcom gon Capcom

Vena

You can link me that thread? Thanks. People on here said that it was after the reveal that rumor got posted, so that's why I didn't believe it either before this thread.

Started here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302699&highlight=

But then search the post number: 158524637 on google or an archive

Which leads to this: http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/356034210

Which leads back to the original posting: http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/158424451#p158524637

Which was posted a day (?) before the reveal? Unless I can't read dates, that was posted quite a few hours before MHXX was officially revealed. I think the screenshot Mr Pointy had was taken by someone in a different timezone?

Japan is still MH's bread and butter sales wise. Saying MH5 on PS4/XB1 only is going to hurt their overall sales because consoles are dead in Japan.

Thats ridiculous

The idea is to create software to cater the target market. So youll still see games targeted at Japan

The difference being now they arent ignoring what the global conditions are

And honestly like others have mentioned.. Its not like they ignored PS4 so much as took a very conservative route by putting online in the 3ds game and having nintendo market and distribute

I get it but i would have like them to be laying the seeds for a possible ps4 version much earlier.

Which leads back to the original posting: http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/158424451#p158524637

Which was posted a day (?) before the reveal? Unless I can't read dates, that was posted quite a few hours before MHXX was officially revealed. I think the screenshot Mr Pointy had was taken by someone in a different timezone?

It is. Just reading the replies following that post will show that it's pre-reveal.

sanstesy

Thanks dude. So it is pre-reveal after all. Remind me never to take things at face value on GAF again.

Even if Sony pay for exclusivity?

How much would Capcom ask for, and how much would Sony really be willing to pay? The JP revenue lost from not putting it on a portable system would probably be considerably greater than the game's development costs. Moneyhats can only go so far when you're talking about a platform that's completely at odds with where the franchise's primary audience is.

I can't rule it out completely, but it seems very implausible, especially given that the Japanese market has clearly been a secondary priority for Sony for a long time now.

R0ckman

If they do port them to PS4 and XBOX One get ready for a lot of "The controls are clunky" post.

Actually though if you look up the word, its a pretty good way to describe the controls. I wouldn't call them graceful or smooth.

People curious about this also need to realize the series is on a sales decline since MHP3rd. None of the Nintendo games have reached the sales of that one on PSP so it only makes sense they wanna try to grow the series instead of keeping it on the decline. The game should really be on PC/PS4/XB1/NS, no reason to keep it locked to any one platform. I don't know why the whole "split userbase" is even an argument, it never held back any other online game. It's an action co-op game, it's not fucking eSports.

If they do port them to PS4 and XBOX One get ready for a lot of "The controls are clunky" post.

Actually though if you look up the word, its a pretty good way to describe the controls. I wouldn't call them graceful or smooth.

They share DNA with games like Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma

I dont see it being that crazy of a transition

Orayn

Oh don't worry, no one will complain because they'll retool the series into some generic shit. Then it'll bomb and they'll cancel all future installments because the world fucking sucks.

Kyoufu

Oh don't worry, no one will complain because they'll retool the series into some generic shit. Then it'll bomb and they'll cancel all future installments because the world fucking sucks.

Some of ya'll are so dramatic when it comes to Monster Hunter on consoles lol.

Eolz

Thanks for that then. :)
Like several rumors on /v/ getting a lot of posts, it's possible it was also reposted in several threads afterwards...
But anyway, again, there hasn't been any leak there since Smash or so.

Thats ridiculous

The idea is to create software to cater the target market. So youll still see games targeted at Japan

The difference being now they arent ignoring what the global conditions are

And honestly like others have mentioned.. Its not like they ignored PS4 so much oas took a very conservative route by putting online in the 3ds game and having nintendo market and distribute

I get it but i would have like them to be laying the seeds for a possible ps4 version much earlier.

If you think a PS4/X1 monster hunter is going to come close to what 4U did you're kidding yourself. The games still sell 4 million units in Japan and currently about 1 million in the West. Where are you expecting the sales to appear from?

I 100% believe they have to move the series to consoles at some point. But there is literally no way they can make up the lost Japanese sales internationally if the go console only.

Maybe Capcom is fine with that. Who knows but arguing like this was Capcom ignoring the market is literally pie in the sky wishing.

People curious about this also need to realize the series is on a sales decline since MHP3rd. None of the Nintendo games have reached the sales of that one on PSP so it only makes sense they wanna try to grow the series instead of keeping it on the decline. The game should really be on PC/PS4/XB1/NS, no reason to keep it locked to any one platform. I don't know why the whole "split userbase" is even an argument, it never held back any other online game. It's an action co-op game, it's not fucking eSports.

The split userbase argument makes perfect sense as far as local multiplayer goes, and as far as not doing a 3DS/Vita multiplatform release for MH3G or MH4. But since only one platform is going to offer that kind of local multiplayer going forward anyway, it's not really an argument against PS4/XB1/PC versions.

The most plausible interpretation of this quote is that the series will just be multiplatform going forward, not that they're going PS4-exclusive or that they're radically changing the gameplay to pander to Western AAA tastes.

Vena

It is. Just reading the replies following that post will show that it's pre-reveal.

Seems like it, and 4chan (with the most recent archive use of the original post) has a quote that quotes these as well as the original, and they seem to come from the same source:
http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/158559686#p158562935 and http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/158601558#p158651575 which all seem to chain back to the original.

Which reads like confused nonsensical bullshit.

Or one of the greatest dramadies to soon unfold.

Kyoufu

Consoles are fine, it's all the other changes people want that make me mad.

I think MH needs to evolve eventually and let's not pretend it's perfect as it is (even though it is heh heh).

I welcome changes and additions. Why? Because I trust the developers. They love MH just as much as we do.

Personally speaking, I'd like to see QoL changes made. Stuff like being able to rejoin hunts in progress and other little things that really ought to be implemented by now.

And the area/zone design is so 2004.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Has to be Switch as well as ps4 & xbone and no way are Capcom making two different games. Downgraded port but a port none the less confirmed!

If you think a PS4/X1 monster hunter is going to come close to what 4U did you're kidding yourself. The games still sell 4 million units in Japan and currently about 1 million in the West. Where are you expecting the sales to appear from?

I 100% believe they have to move the series to consoles at some point. But there is literally no way they can make up the lost Japanese sales internationally if the go console only.

I think you are misunderstanding me

They push the SKU the will perform in Japan and do something else for Global

Honestly Switch makes the most sense but it also doesnt make sense to ignore the global install base numbers

Based on what they are saying here they intend to serve BOTH markets soo... Capcoms words not mine

sanstesy

The split userbase argument makes perfect sense as far as local multiplayer goes, and as far as not doing a 3DS/Vita multiplatform release for MH3G or MH4. But since only one platform is going to offer that kind of local multiplayer going forward anyway, it's not really an argument against PS4/XB1/PC versions.

If the PS4 is getting its dedicated MH5 and Switch will get MH portable, there is no userbase to split.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
People curious about this also need to realize the series is on a sales decline since MHP3rd. None of the Nintendo games have reached the sales of that one on PSP so it only makes sense they wanna try to grow the series instead of keeping it on the decline.

I'm curious about this, can anyone post the sales numbers for the entire series across all platforms? Would be appreciated.

edit: I googled and found one on vgsales.wikia.com. Is this reliable or will I get banned for posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom