• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

The question you have to ask is: how much of Monster Hunter can Capcom preserve while making a new form of it more palatable to the mainstream PS4/Xbox/PC audience? I feel like even with a more straightforward control scheme a lot of the crafting/loot aspect can be repackaged in some form. I think it's fine as long as Capcom keeps providing a traditional MH game for its existing base who can then happily ignore this new western-oriented MH if they don't like it.

In any case, an MH to PS4/Xbox One/PC standards would be a big risk for Capcom, basically as risky as building a new AAA IP. But it's probably looking at how Destiny and The Division paid off for Bungie and Ubisoft respectively. Plus, doing this with MH might be slightly less risky since it's possible some existing fans might be fine with what Capcom comes up with. You never know how many might switch over, stick with traditional MH, or play both.

If Capcom just does a traditional MH that's multiplatform between Switch, PS4, Xbox, and PC, I guess it'll get a market uptick simply for being available on more platforms, but by how much is really questionable. Maybe a few more people who don't mess with handhelds will find they like MH, but it won't do Destiny numbers or whatever because most PlayStation/Xbox gamers will just find its controls and rule set weird. And that's if Capcom doesn't drastically increase the production value of the art assets and everything. I still feel like if it's Switch-only, MH will have the same PS2-era graphics, just at a higher resolution, maybe a bit better from some easily implementable things the new hardware would allow. MH with Division-level graphics though (or more appropriately, Deep Down-level graphics) on the other consoles and PC on the other hand might necessitate appealing to the mainstream market.

The thing is though they didn't give a damn about the RE vets when they went with RE4 and when they went this new one. Why would they care what a small percent of the MH vets care about? I'm sure the bulk of the fanbase just wants to dress their characters and palicoes in bad ass armor while playing online with their buds. The people calculating damage output and motion values are probably a niche as you can get and the only ones to actually complain about mechanic changes.

RedSwirl

The thing is though they didn't give a damn about the RE vets when they went with RE4 and when they went this new one. Why would they care what a small percent of the MH vets care about? I'm sure the bulk of the fanbase just wants to dress their characters and palicoes in bad ass armor while playing online with their buds. The people calculating damage output and motion values are probably a niche as you can get and the only ones to actually complain about mechanic changes.

With RE I feel like a larger portion of the fanbase was receptive to change at the time. Circa 2004 it felt like the classic adventure formula with tank controls and fixed camera angles had run its course. RE0 was grasping for ideas. Was RE even as big back then as MH is now? Maybe RE2 was a big deal but the games following it got more and more niche the way I remember it.

PtM

Banned
As long as Hunter's Dogma comes to Switch...
Didn't the series start in another castle? So I'm not sure what you're arguing here.

Also:
It's in the same vein as port begging, riding on technicalities is unnecessary. Except it's not to be punished.

Nairume

Banned
With RE I feel like a larger portion of the fanbase was receptive to change at the time. Circa 2004 it felt like the classic adventure formula with tank controls and fixed camera angles had run its course. RE0 was grasping for ideas. Was RE even as big back then as MH is now? Maybe RE2 was a big deal but the games following it got more and more niche the way I remember it.
Yeah, I think it's important to consider that Resident Evil had been on the decline by the time that 4 came out and reinvigorated it. Plus when you factor in there being a couple years between the last "new" Resident Evil and 4, there was more time to defuse any lingering anxieties over throwing out a lot of the old formula and starting over.

Meanwhile, Monster Hunter is now Capcom's biggest series and is getting bigger now that it's finally starting to catch on in the west, not to mention it's been getting fairly significant updates on a regular enough basis. While there certainly is virtue in doing things to try and grow the market for the series, there's a lot more risks in doing things to alienate people by throwing out too much of what makes it appealing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Monster Hunter coming to PS4 will all the bell and whistles + online coop play would be awesome for me.

Although I still need that Dragon's Dogma remaster/HD first >___<

Seems like it, and 4chan (with the most recent archive use of the original post) has a quote that quotes these as well as the original, and they seem to come from the same source:
http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/158559686#p158562935 and http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/158601558#p158651575 which all seem to chain back to the original.

Which reads like confused nonsensical bullshit.

Or one of the greatest dramadies to soon unfold.
IDK if this is true but it sounds like something Capcom would do. Pushing for a horribly expensive, westernized version of their franchise which misses the whole appeal of the franchise is Capcom's MO. Meanwhile they were originally planning on shafting the portable userbase that made the franchise.

I'm gonna guess this will work out how MH3 performed on Wii while the MHP series was selling 4 times the amount.

Rumors aside, Switch is marketed as a console by Nintendo so these vague comments by Capcom could mean releasing on Switch. It would also seem a logical and cheaper solution to providing both a home console and handheld experience for Monster Hunter to appeal to both Western and Eastern gaming bases.

Qvoth

the only way this is happening is if deep down is cancelled and changed into this
or maybe just another MHF
highly doubt they'll make a brand new MH from scratch just for ps4

_Clash_

Nintendo's been pretty good for Monster Hunter and vice versa.

Would be disappointing that such a win-win arrangement is diluted.

I want the monster hunter joy cons, prime marketing and timing that Nintendo brings to Capcom.

If everything goes according to the plan it means Capcom already choose the MH machine and they are building a base from XX.

There's no reason it can't be PS4/PC/XB1/Switch. If you want to grow in the west being locked to Nintendo hardware certainly isn't the way to do it.

Seloth

Banned
I'm a big Nintendo fan and not much of a PS fan (don't really like the exclusives) but if this does come to PS4 (even exclusively) I'd say it's well overdue.

What people have been saying about jumping to a new platform with 0 install base vs jumping to an established platform with a nice install base that'll be active for a few years to come makes a lot of sense. If I was a dev/pub PS4 is where I'd want my product.

If they want to push sales in the west in any meaningful way PS4 is the way to go.

IDK if this is true but it sounds like something Capcom would do. Pushing for a horribly expensive, westernized version of their franchise which misses the whole appeal of the franchise is Capcom's MO. Meanwhile they were originally planning on shafting the portable userbase that made the franchise.

I'm gonna guess this will work out how MH3 performed on Wii while the MHP series was selling 4 times the amount.

Rumors aside, Switch is marketed as a console by Nintendo so these vague comments by Capcom could mean releasing on Switch. It would also seem a logical and cheaper solution to providing both a home console and handheld experience for Monster Hunter to appeal to both Western and Eastern gaming bases.

Again, Wii U did piss poorly and Capcom aren't going to make claims about wanting to use the console market to improve the brand's strength in the west and simultaneously ignore the most popular console in the west. They're talking about the PS4, the console that will be well past the 50m install base mark next year. Making a big budget MH game to appeal to the west exclusively for Switch would be just as risky if not more risky than making a PS4 only game.

yurinka

I think a good strategy for them would be to release it in Switch to have the future Japanese portable market, so they would be a powerful enough game to release it too in XBO, PC and specially PS4 to reach the western home gaming market (here handhelds are too niche and mobile is too casual for normal MH games) and to secure some sales, in case Switch flops hard like WiiU.

Again, Wii U did piss poorly and Capcom aren't going to make claims about wanting to use the console market to improve the brand's strength in the west and simultaneously ignore the most popular console in the west. They're talking about the PS4, the console that will be well past the 50m install base mark next year. Making a big budget MH game to appeal to the west exclusively for Switch would be just as risky if not more risky than making a PS4 only game.

Exactly. Alongside their PS4/XB1 predictions, I think its clear what Capcom is looking at here.

Malakai

I wish the converse would be true. It would be nice to get at least AA level of support from a Western publisher on the 3DS.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is Switch was an unknown quantity (especially in West) when Capcom was strategizing whatever it was that prompted those statements from them, you came just handwave them away with the idea that they were talking about Switch.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is Switch was an unknown quantity when Capcom was strategizing whatever it was that prompted those statements from them, you came just handwave them away with the idea that they were talking about Switch.
The fact that Capcom estimated so many PS4 to be in households makes me believe that MH5 will be on PS4. But not exclusively. It will also be on Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom