• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 4chan rumor sounds awful.

A streamlined MH game with less weapons and so on?

Fuck no. I'd rather just take ports of MH from 3DS upressed.

Well, 3DS upressed ports to PS4 aren't going to expand the IP in the west.

What honestly makes the most sense is a native Switch game ported to other platforms, but if Sony is funding the game, that won't be happening.

RE5 is around 7 million. RE6 is around 6 million. Massive productions that demand a lot of resources, note how the Wii games are the opposite of this. Yes, I will continue to laugh at your feelings of the Wii not being treated fairly.

In terms of RE5 on the Wii I actually do think it was a missed opportunity. Mainly because I feel like all the other games they ported to the Wii like (Okami, Dead Rising) and some of their original efforts (spyborgs, Zack and Wiki) all had far less sales potential than a solid port of the game and some definitely would have cost more.

I get why they didn't do it but given some of the games they actually did greenlight I find it pretty strange frankly.

Dude streamlined might not be as bad as you think

Consider just how mechanically crazy X and XX are at this point and these are experimental spin offs

They could just mean they are reigning in the crazy a bit for the next entry

sanstesy

Even disregarding the 4chan rumor, do you really think when making a full-fledged AAA Monster Hunter title for the PS4 they will just make the game open-world and make the graphics way better? It's bound to happen when trying to appeal to western standards.

R0ckman

A leveling system would exacerbate those kinds of problems even more. You'd have just people kicking you for not being lvl 60 or whatever instead of kicking you for bad armor skills.

The only way that you'd not have people like this is to make the game so easy that it wouldn't matter what skills/stats/etc. you bring into a fight, which they honestly got kinda close to with Gen, and I'd hate to see that taken even further.

The issue is that bad skills is subjective to an extent. Non-optimal does not equal bad. There are much too many of these cartoon characters running around in hubs.

They didn't mention 100 million PS4s gonna be sold and that Monster Hunter is limited on handheld in the west to hint at it coming to the Switch. That's heavy foreshadowing of it coming to PS4.
That's 100 million on both pa4 and Xbox one ltd by the end of next year, said analysts.

Maxinas

From the sound of it, Capcom doesn't sound at all confident at a console exclusive MH title, and they have a point when MH has sold consistently well on handhelds. Sounds like a gimped version of MH will be released on the ps4, while the true mainline will remain for portables, meaning switch. Sony is going to come out losing, especially if they actually payed capcom for it.

Dude streamlined might not be as bad as you think

Consider just how mechanically crazy X and XX are at this point and these are experimental spin offs

They could just mean they are reigning in the crazy a bit for the next entry

The games are not mechnically crazy imo. They are fucking terribly organized though. Nothing in the series is very hard in itself. But man they need to streanline the fuck out of them if they want a new audience.

My friend kearning hunting horn. Lawd have mercy.

From the sound of it, Capcom doesn't sound at all confident at a console exclusive MH title, and they have a point when MH has sold consistently well on handhelds. Sounds like a gimped version of MH will be released on the ps4, while the true mainline will remain for portables, meaning switch. Sony is going to come out losing, especially if they actually payed capcom for it.

Yeesh

you guys trying to suck the optimism out of the room or what

MH Switch/PS4 seems pretty reasonable to me.

They can easily share assets and they can spruce the PS4 port up. A switch port would actually look pretty good on the PS4. I mean look at how good something like Gravity Daze and Tearaway looks on PS4.

Cool.Be it Switch or PS4 I'll definitely be there day 1. Current 3ds monhun gen has exhausted me on the platform. Hopefully the streamlining thing isn't true. They already did plenty making Generations accessible. Maybe fix the inventory UI, get rid of the felyne mini games, and add back the lobby chat and voip. I wonder if Capcom ' definition of streamlining is in the same vain as MonHon 3 on the Wii.

What honestly makes the most sense is a native Switch game ported to other platforms, but if Sony is funding the game, that won't be happening.

As a fan of the MH games, I'd rather a Switch port that comes to the PS4.

Thinking more about it, the streamlined comment I have not much issue with. It's the less weapons and content that I do.

There's plenty of stuff in Monster Hunter that needs a whole bunch of streamlining anyways.

Ridley327

The Question is - can Capcom fund an full fledged AAA Monster Hunter Game for the West? Because if they wan't to establish the franchise in the west, i think they will need to spend a lot of money - Not sure if a MH Game with old ass Ps3 Graphics catches a lot of attention outside the JRPG audience

Ideally, Capcom would make a game that could get by on a smaller but more dedicated audience, but depending on their designs for the IP, that might not be enough for them. That's where the danger comes in.

In terms of RE5 on the Wii I actually do think it was a missed opportunity. Mainly because I feel like all the other games they ported to the Wii like (Okami, Dead Rising) and some of their original efforts (spyborgs, Zack and Wiki) all had far less sales potential than a solid port of the game and some definitely would have cost more.

I get why they didn't do it but given some of the games they actually did greenlight I find it pretty strange frankly.

Looking RE5 credits gives you an idea why imo. Production (much like RE6) was very bloated and perhaps the idea of porting to a much weaker system was undesirable, especially after its became a massive success. I'm guessing their next goal was to get RE6 on PS360 asap to capitalise on it, demanding all their resources for RE.

Multi platform would surely end the long running help in advertising from Nintendo.

Nintendo is amazing at advertising MH in the West; they are successfully growing the franchise.

Making it multiplatform isnt the amazing idea people think it is.

Nintendo would still have the only portable version, their hardcore fans are used to the franchise proper, and it's one of the few multi-million selling 3rd party franchises that are a lock for their hardware...why would they not advertise it?

Spite?

Maxinas

Nintendo would still have the only portable version, their hardcore fans are used to the franchise proper, and it's one of the few multi-million selling 3rd party franchises that are a lock for their hardware...why would they not advertise it?

Spite?

Well the 4chan rumor makes it sound like capcom went behind nintendos back, but rumors are rumors afterall.

Edit: Also mentions how the deal was "leaked" to nintendo, as if someone from capcom that disagreed with the supposed deal with sony wanted to stir up some drama.

BadWolf

The Question is - can Capcom fund an full fledged AAA Monster Hunter Game for the West? Because if they wan't to establish the franchise in the west, i think they will need to spend a lot of money - Not sure if a MH Game with old ass Ps3 Graphics catches a lot of attention outside the JRPG audience

A good console MH will need to have a substantial budget but at the same time it's MH, a series that reuses assets for years to come.

So yeah, the first game will be expensive but future entries will be much cheaper to make.

TreIII

Certainly a pessimistic way of looking at it...and yet, I could certainly see it that way.

Juraash

So maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm from the US, play lots of MH and enjoy it as a portable game. It allows me to easily play it with my fiancé since we both have a 3DS and getting a hunt or two in anywhere is possible. Switch is about the only option I'd be ok with.

I don't want it simplified, opened up, dumbed down or console bound. If mainline MH ever did this, it would certainly alienate me (and I'm sure plenty of others) who like MH for what it is. Personally I think Gen/X deviates too much, but at least you can play it mostly like you would previous titles.

If they ever were to split the existing base with multiplat, or make it less convenient to play with people in the same room as me I'll probably be out on new entries.

oti

Banned

I don't think Capcom would have done it otherwise (if this turns out to be true that is).

Looking RE5 credits gives you an idea why imo. Production (much like RE6) was very bloated and perhaps the idea of porting to a much weaker system was undesirable, especially after its became a massive success. I'm guessing their next goal was to get RE6 on PS360 asap to capitalise on it, demanding all their resources for RE.

I agree with you in that they probably saw the sales of the game and basically were like "man fuck this we already spent too much time and we have DLC to make too". They also wanted to produce RE6 more quickly.

But as far as the porting aspect is concerned they definitely would have outsourced it. Original team didnt work on Darkside Chronicles for example and ready at dawn ported Okami. I don't really see why they never took a shot at it honestly given the games they did. Produce. I hinestly think they dropped the ball there.

I actually get why they didnt. I'm more in awe of what theu did port and produce. Because by that logic my only other guess is they actually tried amd it was not possible.

RedSwirl

That 4chan rumor (massive pile of salt) actually sounds somewhat sensible: create different lines of MH games for different audiences. I don't think Capcom should try to sell the same MH game on both portables and consoles. A re-tooled MH for western audiences also released on Switch would probably piss off the established MH audience. Traditional MH on consoles and PC would probably just see limited sales due to how odd it is compared to what that audience traditionally expects. I don't even think Dark Souls is a good comparison. Souls definitely has a learning curve, but its fundamental control scheme isn't at all "clunky" by modern console standards. In Souls the controls aren't the learning curve, the rest of the game is the learning curve.

If Capcom is indeed putting together a new kind of MH for the mainstream western audience, my biggest fear is that it would phone-in the content like with SFV or Resident Evil 6. When it comes to the basic gameplay, I actually don't think Capcom has internally developed a single bad action game in the last 10 years.

Oh, Capcom has certainly put together some mediocre-to-bad products in that time frame, but they all mostly contained well-tuned actions systems at their core. Capcom's worst recent core action system was probably RE5 which was just phoned-in compared to RE4. RE6 was a pretty badly put-together game but its problem was hiding and mishandling the great combat system at its heart. SFV screwed up its content selection but the actual fighting game is good. In that regard Capcom still knows its stuff when it isn't farming franchises out to western studios.

So maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm from the US, play lots of MH and enjoy it as a portable game. It allows me to easily play it with my fiancé since we both have a 3DS and getting a hunt or two in anywhere is possible. Switch is about the only option I'd be ok with.

I don't want it simplified, opened up, dumbed down or console bound. If mainline MH ever did this, it would certainly alienate me (and I'm sure plenty of others) who like MH for what it is. Personally I think Gen/X deviates too much, but at least you can play it mostly like you would previous titles.

If they ever were to split the existing base with multiplat, or make it less convenient to play with people in the same room as me I'll probably be out on new entries.

Switch will get MH games im fairly confident

dont know what to tell you regarding Multiplats though.

That 4chan rumor (massive pile of salt) actually sounds somewhat sensible: create different lines of MH games for different audiences. I don't think Capcom should try to sell the same MH game on both portables and consoles. A re-tooled MH for western audiences also released on Switch would probably piss off the established MH audience. Traditional MH on consoles and PC would probably just see limited sales due to how odd it is compared to what that audience traditionally expects. I don't even think Dark Souls is a good comparison. Souls definitely has a learning curve, but its fundamental control scheme isn't at all "clunky" by modern console standards. In Souls the controls aren't the learning curve, the rest of the game is the learning curve.

If Capcom is indeed putting together a new kind of MH for the mainstream western audience, my biggest fear is that it would phone-in the content like with SFV or Resident Evil 6. When it comes to the basic gameplay, I actually don't think Capcom has internally developed a single bad action game in the last 10 years.

Oh, Capcom has certainly put together some mediocre-to-bad products in that time frame, but they all mostly contained well-tuned actions systems at their core. Capcom's worst recent core action system was probably RE5 which was just phoned-in compared to RE4. RE6 was a pretty badly put-together game but its problem was hiding and mishandling the great combat system at its heart. SFV screwed up its content selection but the actual fighting game is good. In that regard Capcom still knows its stuff when it isn't farming franchises out to western studios.

I dont see the deviation of features among multiple Brand entries being much different than what they did before with Portable 3rd and 3G

Then again people are making compelling arguments for the PS4 version pushing boundaries in a different direction. Im cool with that as long as the core gameplay remains intact

MoonFrog

Tbh, I'm sort of just hoping Sony/Nintendo/Japanese third parties play nice and we get mostly multiplatform PS4/Switch releases going forward with continuing lower than Western PS4 support production values: a continuing cross gen with a hopefully better performing handheld than Vita that's also noticeably stronger. Switch would be the lead platform, PS4 up ports. Titles pushing PS4, going at western AAA market perhaps stay PS4 only (thinking FFXV). Titles that are heavily portable focused, only on Switch. But a lot of multiplatform covering most games both audiences care about. I hope this is the sort of future for MH.

andthebeatgoeson

I would love to see them try. To make MH a success on PS4/XBO not only would Capcom have to change the gameplay up and make it more friendly and modern for new players, they'd also have to finally implement 21st century graphics and tech, which I'm sure they would hate to no end.

They would have to give up on a handheld version. I prefer the focus on gameplay, animation, delays over textures and whatever other flashy thing. I think it can happen but they won't be ready to fully go console.

And there is no way they are getting multiple millions of sales when it's not easy to explain who to fucking cook your food. I tell my kids to not play it because I don't want to answer 11 million questions.

'What's this red juice? Why is my food burnt? Why is my guy cold? I want that sword. It looks cool.'

Kouriozan

You sure? Okay then.

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.
That sounds horrible, I get that Capcom want Monster Hunter to reach a bigger audience, but this sounds like Monster Hunter for babies honestly.
Really hope this is fake, a mainline game being so inferior to the previous one is lol worthy, but yeah SF V happened so it might be true.

oti

Banned
They would have to give up on a handheld version. I prefer the focus on gameplay, animation, delays over textures and whatever other flashy thing. I think it can happen but they won't be ready to fully go console.

I'd like to see a streamlined version I'd enjoy more but not if the main series had to suffer for it. There's Dragon's Dogma, there's the endearing MH Stories spin-off I'd love to play and there's always the opportunity to keep everything as is and just make the tutorials better or help new players like me in other ways. Capcom could be playing with fire here.

R0ckman

That sounds horrible, I get that Capcom want Monster Hunter to reach a bigger audience, but this sounds like Monster Hunter for babies honestly.
Really hope this is fake, a mainline game being so inferior to the previous one is lol worthy, but yeah SF V happened so it might be true.

I think we needed to stop confusing outdated game design as difficulty.

DedValve

Banned
They've reduced the grind somewhat in Gen by making it so that the lvl1 versions of weapons and armor never require the rarest drops from monsters (different story for fully leveled stuff), but they could certainly do more to make quests and item management less convoluted.

Label key quests as such and let people know which quests are required and which aren't, have separate sections in item boxes for consumable goods and craft-able materials, give hints or directions on where to find certain items for crafting, stuff like that. That alone would make MH at lot more digestible for new players.

Honestly and since I'm not in a very creative mood atm but for the inventory just copy/paste the Dark Souls 3 inventory management setup for immediate improvement.

Basically you wear your armor set, choose which items and weapons you want to bring with you and go out on your mission. The visuals are much easier to read and theres no reason to have a cap on inventory at your home/base.

Thats just a super quick and dirty fix but I think heading more towards that direction that what they currently have set up. It just feels so alien and weird and not intuitive at all.

In fact intuitive is a huge thing that MH lacks. It could also do with more mission variety, I know its a hunting game at the end of the day but I feel they can come up with clever missions.

And there is no way they are getting multiple millions of sales when it's not easy to explain who to fucking cook your food. I tell my kids to not play it because I don't want to answer 11 million questions.

'What's this red juice? Why is my food burnt? Why is my guy cold? I want that sword. It looks cool.'

Cooking meat is really fucking annoying. Shit like that. I don't mind it cause I have played like 4 iterations but man fuck that honestly. Cold drink hot drink. Its annoying to be playing and someone is like "FORGOT COLD DRINK", "FORGOT TO EAT". Man, they need to do a better job of limiting that stuff.

And a PS4 MH with less content than 3U would be disasterous. That needs to be the minimum.

Mr. Hyde

Is the switch going to be backwards compatible with Wii u digital downloads? I'm not sure how the switch works but it would be cool if they just released it on the Wii u and allowed you to use it on the switch. That would allow a new monster hunter to get a strong user base.

Ogodei

I doubt Capcom really wants to make a behemoth Monster Hunter on PS4/One/PC. They've been dragging their feet on upgrading the game from the PS2 ballpark for a decade now.

Of course, Switch would force them to get it close enough to the PS4 league as no matter (because it's not like the game really needs powerhouse consoles to work), so they might be able to make it cross-platform even if they stick with Switch as the lead platform.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This

Did you buy 3U on WiiU? Would have shown Capcom people were interested in that.
Want to know something crazy, apparently 3U on the wiiU apparently sold atleast 500k and according to capcom was considered a success

Snakeyes

Tbh, I'm sort of just hoping Sony/Nintendo/Japanese third parties play nice and we get mostly multiplatform PS4/Switch releases going forward with continuing lower than Western PS4 support production values: a continuing cross gen with a hopefully better performing handheld than Vita that's also noticeably stronger. Switch would be the lead platform, PS4 up ports. Titles pushing PS4, going at western AAA market perhaps stay PS4 only (thinking FFXV). Titles that are heavily portable focused, only on Switch. But a lot of multiplatform covering most games both audiences care about. I hope this is the sort of future for MH.

Wouldn't count on that, sadly. As you said before, the current situation where the PS4 gets defacto Japanese support due to being the only modern platform that is also somewhat viable over there is not something Sony wants to give up. Expect even more moneyhats like these from Sony if the Switch shows signs of becoming a success.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I would love Switch to become the lead platform of a game like Monster Hunter. Going from 3DS to Switch!? That would neccesitate AAA development style investment though, Switch is way more powerful than 360 and PS3, which alone cost millions to product Dragon's dogma.

Upporting that to PS4, you would not even have to do any real refining of the visuals.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Entertaining thread xD

Yeah its kinda weird - seems like the main series is coming PS4, but they are stripping a way a lot of things that define the series.

Hope this works out for Capcom - because SFV and DD kinda underperformed, Hype for RE7 so far has also been way smaller compared to RE5 and RE6. MH is their one steady bread winner they always could rely on...they better not screw this up.

They dont have as many mobile game hits that can off-set mayor AAA underperfomance.

I would love Switch to become the lead platform of a game like Monster Hunter. Going from 3DS to Switch!? That would neccesitate AAA development style investment though, Switch is way more powerful than 360 and PS3, which alone cost millions to product Dragon's dogma

Well, no matter what, Monster Hunter is going to be forced to move on from 3DS within the next year or two, so a bigger budget for MH titles going forward is inevitable. Switch would be a great baseline for the series.

Entertaining thread xD

Yeah its kinda weird - seems like the main series is coming PS4, but they are stripping a way a lot of things that define the series.

Hope this works out for Capcom - because SFV and DD kinda underperformed, Hype for RE7 so far has also been way smaller compared to RE5 and RE6. MH is their one steady bread winner they always could rely on...they better not screw this up.

They dont have as many mobile game hits that can off-set mayor AAA underperfomance.

Lets not take the 4 chan rumors as gospel just yet guys

I would love Switch to become the lead platform of a game like Monster Hunter. Going from 3DS to Switch!? That would neccesitate AAA development style investment though, Switch is way more powerful than 360 and PS3, which alone cost millions to product Dragon's dogma

It's gonna depend on the dev tools Nintendo's giving to ease development.

Also the suspicious lot of you that didn't believe MHS was "3ds only" because of the graphical detail might have a tiny bit more ground to be suspicious now lol.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, no matter what, Monster Hunter is going to be forced to move on from 3DS within the next year or two, so a bigger budget for MH titles going forward is inevitable. Switch would be a great baseline for the series.

That's true. You could upport to PS4 or PC or XB1 easily without having to change much or anything in the way of visuals.

I know Omega force had to do some decent rejiggering of their own assets to bring Kiwami to PS4 and their focus on expanding Toukdien 2 was so great that the vita version barely runs.

I wonder how Capcom can deal with such a huge jump in technology when they have been coasting on below PS2 level assets for over a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom