• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom wants to grow Monster Hunter in West, feels handhelds are limiting sales there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im happy to see where the cards fall at this point

Either way i win ;p

My thinking is that I can't wait to see a 'proper' MH game with HD visuals. Generations is amazing, but given the announcement of XX, I feel as though the current assets and formula have been stretched as far as Capcom can take them. The series is in need of a shake up.

My thinking is that I can't wait to see a 'proper' MH game with HD visuals. Generations is amazing, but given the announcement of XX, I feel as though the current assets and formula have been stretched as far as Capcom can take them. The series is in need of a shake up.

The good thing is that no matter what happens, MH has to move into a new era within the next year or so, as 3DS won't be around much longer. So, whether it's Switch, PS4, or multiplatform, MH is about to undergo some major changes. Hopefully those changes don't negatively affect the game's fantastic core mechanics though.

The good thing is that no matter what happens, MH has to move into a new era within the next year or so, as 3DS won't be around much longer. So, whether it's Switch, PS4, or multiplatform, MH is about to undergo some major changes. Hopefully those changes don't negatively affect the game's fantastic core mechanics though.

Exactly

Im staying optimistic for the future

But what handheld device are Capcom supposed to sell this thing on? They can't rely on 3DS forever and Switch is still an unproven entity, especially seeing as (as I mentioned above) it's not a true successor the 3DS. To assume that the 3DS audience is going to automatically migrate to Switch is foolhardy. The paradigms have shifted, and Capcom must now adapt to the change in market conditions.
They'll likely make different titles in the franchise on different devices if needed. Another possibility is to change up the Monster Hunter formula so that it can cater to western audiences. Guess we'll find out soon.

Yep.

Grinchy

Banned
There's no excuse for this series not being on consoles and getting an actual makeover to make it look like a game that hasn't been re-purposed more times than Marge's pink Chanel suit.

So few companies would let such a winning formula stay so stagnant for so long.

itshutton

This would dramatically increase the size of the PS4 install base in Japan, as well as create a new market for MH. It's a win-win makes sense.

Putting it on as many systems as possible is the only way to go. Unless the rumours about a westernized version hitting the PS4 (in which case the vanilla one, which has always been geared towards the local market, would come out on the Switch) have some truth to them...

So what are you going to do when XX Switch is nothing but an up-res port?

So what are you going to do when XX Switch is nothing but an up-res port?

An up-port of a 3DS game ends up being an up-port...of a 3DS game? I don't think he's going to do anything. No one will. It's to be expected. That has 0 to do with what will happen with the franchise once it breaks from its 3DS shackles though. I feel you're being slightly obtuse with this comment.

kagamin

There's no excuse for this series not being on consoles and getting an actual makeover to make it look like a game that hasn't been re-purposed more times than Marge's pink Chanel suit.

So few companies would let such a winning formula stay so stagnant for so long.

The excuse is that it costs less, so why not? :p

HeeHo

Ha, even Capcom thinks so. Feeling justified for lamenting about no MH ports or new games on consoles. I think certain folks thought it was ridiculous to suggest that MH go to consoles because the sales were picking up on handheld in the west.

This isn't the PS2 era anymore where critics slammed MH mechanics. Games like itself and Dark Souls are more popular now and plus, Monster Hunter has online play. Its got a nice hook to it too. Skill based with some RPG elements. I guess that is every game now but this one especially.

It seems like a no brainer to me but I'm sure it's way more complicated than it seems to bring it back to consoles.

sora87

I'd finally jump in to one if it comes to PS4. Was so tempted to get Generations but couldn't be bothered with the circle pad pro

R0ckman

Sometimes its hard to take what Capcom says as accurate to what really goes on in the design process. Like they say certain things are designed in the series for realism, but then on the other end you have bad monster AI and elements like the breaking of wings and tails doing almost nothing to monster attack patterns. Oh, you heavily damaged both of Silver Raths wings? Who gives a damn, its still going to stay in the air 90% of thr time unless you spam it with flash bombs.

R0ckman

Oh looks like according to the 4chan thing the strife in Capcom is actually because the old mechanics would be completely scrapped. Assuming its accurate they really would be Dragon's Dogma-ifying the battle mechanics. I wouldn't want them to to go that damn far but as long as I can play 3U my favorite I don't really care.

Dremorak

Banned
Dark Souls 3 did more than that, in less time, on one platform (Steam)

Platform choice is undoubtedly holding the series back in the west. There's no way around that.

Monster hunter is also very cheap for them to make, esp on handeld. They make gangbusters in Japan alone, even if noone bought it anywhere else.

I would even go as far as to say Monster hunter 4 was more profitable than dark souls 3 was on steam. Just based on the fact that dark souls 3 would have cost much much more to make. Also, looks like monster hunter 4 has sold more than dark souls 3 in general:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/94...souls-series-shipments-reach-13-million-units

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/10/monster_hunter_4_ultimate_passes_four_million_global_sales

Edit:
Actually its even crazier than that:
Monster hunter 4 sold nearly 4 million in japan alone. 4 Ultimate sold 4 million worldwide. That 8 million sales for what is the equivalent of game + dlc in terms of workload/ cost to produce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunter_4

Aswitch

I Personally preferred playing Monster Hunter on Console. I do believe Monster Hunter will be perfect for the Switch, but i'm yearning for a big AAA Monster Hunter game for consoles, Monster tri ultimate for Wii U was a great start. Here's to Monster Hunter Possibly coming back home to the PS4 and Vita as well. Think being exclusive to nintendo really hindered sales also. PS4 (and Xbone if possible) would increase changes for bigger sales as well.

I Personally preferred playing Monster Hunter on Console. I do believe Monster Hunter will be perfect for the Switch, but i'm yearning for a big AAA Monster Hunter game for consoles, Monster tri ultimate for Wii U was a great start. Here's to Monster Hunter Possibly coming back home to the PS4 and Vita as well. Think being exclusive to nintendo really hindered sales also. PS4 (and Xbone if possible) would increase changes for bigger sales as well.

MH Switch would still provide that

I get your point but honestly if Switch isn't notably more popular than the PS4 in Japan then the console market is done there and JP Publishers are going to be in a world of hurt, even/especially Capcom.

Actually, Switch will most likely be advertised as a portable platform in the East while it will be advertised as a home gaming console in the West.

It's smart, given that Japan is more about portability & mobile.

Thoraxes

You sure? Okay then.

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.
All those rumored details for a MH5 sound like absolute garbage and I would bail out so hard. But if the main team continues to make traditional releases for handhelds after the fact, I'd be more than happy to support that series.

magnetic

I'm just glad they are forced to move on from low resolution assets.

I recently realized that the 3DS really is the last mainstream entertainment device with a low res screen. 400x240 feels like a relic of the past these days.

The monster, weapon and armor designs are so brilliant in these games that it hurts to see this game restricted to such an outdated screen.

jimmypython

Capcom tested multiplat in Japan for Sengoku Basara. They released Sengoku Basara 3 for both PS3 and Wii, with the latter having a bigger install base. Turned out Wii wasn't viable for this IP so they ditched it and went with Playstation for the future titles.

The point is they should do the same thing with MH in the west. Give multiple consoles a fair chance then decide which one to stick with.

As long as there's a portable option for the series moving forward, I don't care if there are console versions. Heck, the more options the merrier, but if MH3U taught me anything it's that MH for me is a series I like to play on my commute/with friends in person and that I'm not super into playing on my TV. Zero interest in a console-only MH future.

As long as there's a portable option for the series moving forward, I don't care if there are console versions. Heck, the more options the merrier, but if MH3U taught me anything it's that MH for me is a series I like to play on my commute/with friends in person and that I'm not super into playing on my TV. Zero interest in a console-only MH future.

Love these "never will I" posts

Relax bro. Switch is gonna keep those portable dreams alive for the near future

Monster Hunter seems like a series that would do best on console even in the west. Not sure what Capcom's smoking, but I admire the approach. Most companies would give up trying to crack the non Asian market after the third game.

Love these "never will I" posts

Relax bro. Switch is gonna keep those portable dreams alive for the near future

Hey, that's surely my hope. And like I said, I welcome options for people that don't like portable gaming. I just hope that those of us that prefer portable gaming in the west don't get forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom