• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This had a 9:30 am showing locally and just got back. Awesome flick. Everyone shines in this while still maintaining focus on Cap. Action set-pieces were plentiful and all excellent. Pleased also to see that Bucky is no chump in this unlike some trailers seemed to suggest. Might see again in theaters with a different crowd.

Apharmd

Saw it.

My hype was insanely through the roof and I was expecting some life-changing event.

And you know what? The movie decked my hype in the face and utterly delivered. I am very happy.

And he was also the guy paid the largest salary for Iron Man 1. That's really weird to think about that the starting film of the whole MCU, Howard got the biggest paycheck.
Is this true? That's crazy. How'd he pull that off? Was Downey such poison back then that you could hire him for a couple of nickels?

Blader

Is this true? That's crazy. How'd he pull that off? Was Downey such poison back then that you could hire him for a couple of nickels?

Downey wasn't worth as much and Howard was the first one to sign on, so his pay was negotiated before they figured out the (lower) rates for everyone else.

LakeEarth

His high-profile problems made him a liability. He's the star of a major blockbuster that could collapse at any moment. Thankfully that didn't happen, he seems to have put his demon's to rest, and he's now making a butt-load of money.

IIRC Marvel was worried as hell, so they said dirt cheap or nothing. But Favreau really wanted him and RDJ obviously wanted a high profile job.

It's also why Howard quit. He expected to be paid more than Downey for Iron Man 2 as well. That, and Favreau really didn't like working with him anyway.

weshes195

IIRC Marvel was worried as hell, so they said dirt cheap or nothing. But Favreau really wanted and RDJ obviously wanted a high profile job.

It's also why Howard quit. He expected to be paid more than Downey for Iron Man 2 as well. That, and Favreau really didn't like working with him anyway.

Which, honestly, is why I think Howard was an idiot. Sure maybe a raise would be nice, but I just find the idea of a supporting role getting more money than the main lead who puts more time and effort ridiculous.

If it is in your contract or if you ask and they agree (RDJ will probably make more money that Spidey in his own movie lol) but trying to do a deal or no deal? Nah, that isn't really respectful.

His high-profile problems made him a liability. He's the star of a major blockbuster that could collapse at any moment. Thankfully that didn't happen, he seems to have put his demon's to rest, and he's now making a butt-load of money.

IIRC Marvel was worried as hell, so they said dirt cheap or nothing. But Favreau really wanted and RDJ obviously wanted a high profile job.

What I figured. Too funny. Man..when they announced Downey was gonna play the roll, it just seemed perfect BECAUSE of his fuck up nonsense at the time. Seemed like a perfect match, really..
Glad you got it over with. : )
lol..

3phemeral

Saw it last night and I wasn't expecting such a slow buildup. Reviews I've read discussed how it seemed like they crammed everything in, leaving no room to breathe but it felt like they were able to capture a lot of good slow-paced moments that warranted the big build-ups. I'm so glad I somehow avoided spoilers for the big airport sequence, since a lot of the big laughs came that alone. And at no point in time did I think, "Why isn't so-and-so doing this to counter this?" Felt like a good representation of each their abilities and considering the size of the cast, it's an amazing set piece.

Spider-man felt pretty shoehorned in but he was a great addition to the airport sequence, so it's forgivable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom