• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Yes Boss!

So, I'm in the troop that thinks this game is short, and he reviews out there say so... Came into the thread to look for confirmation on that matter... It seems that I should buy it...

Another thing, is it playable 100% in Off-TV?

Yeah, it is 100% off-screen play if you want. I'd say the game is about 20 hours if you wanna do everything...maybe a bit more. I'm definitely taking my time and playing and replaying levels because I enjoy the game so much. I think I'm at about 50 hours now. I tend to take the big Nintendo releases a bit slower. I think my first playthrough of Twilight Princess was about 75 hours when most were doing it in 35.

AdanVC

Soundtrack in this game is so underrated. Even if it's not as epic and jazzy as the one in SM3DW, it has some very catchy tunes and remixes. Perfect for a game like this.

tauroxd

Yeah, it is 100% off-screen play if you want. I'd say the game is about 20 hours if you wanna do everything...maybe a bit more. I'm definitely taking my time and playing and replaying levels because I enjoy the game so much. I think I'm at about 50 hours now. I tend to take the big Nintendo releases a bit slower. I think my first playthrough of Twilight Princess was about 75 hours when most were doing it in 35.

Thaks for the answers. My first playthrough of TP was about 76 hours, so I know where you're coming from. I will try to buy the game.

zroid

Banned
The "should I buy Captain Toad Treasure Tracker?" guidelines are pretty simple:

if you loved the Captain Toad levels in SM3DW, then absolutely yes. If you already like the framework of the game then you will probably want to try and 100% it, and then there's plenty to do.

if you thought the Captain Toad levels in SM3DW were a fun little diversion but not much more than that, then you might prefer to wait for a price drop because your experience with Treasure Tracker will probably be more like run through the stages once without necessarily finishing all the bonus objectives and time trials.

and if you didn't like the Captain Toad levels in SM3DW...

whats-wrong-with-you.gif

Beat Episode 2 last night 100%. Been taking my time with this playing in chunks playing every level to completion. So in love with everything about this game. It's so goddamn charming. And holy shiiiiiii that 3-1 stage was sexy. Will probably get halfway through episode 3 or possibly beat it tonight.

RM8

Holy cow, this might be my GOTY after all, across all platforms :3 What a superb, charming, awesome puzzle game.

KooopaKid

Banned
Finished my first run in 6 hours. Now on to the bonus content and 100% everything. So probably 10 hours when all is said and done. Not bad for a 40€ game.
Very cool game, very varied with fantastic puzzle design. It's probably going to end at the 3rd place of my GOTY list. Left Behind is left behind.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Finished my first run in 6 hours. Now on to the bonus content and 100% everything. So probably 10 hours when all is said and done. Not bad for a 40€ game.
Very cool game, very varied with fantastic puzzle design. It's probably going to end at the 3rd place of my GOTY list. Left Behind is left behind.

4 hours for all missing collectibles, time attack, bonus levels and the final level? Good luck with that.

Well after doing the first 10 levels last night, I definitely really like this game.

It is pretty much the epitome of everything I've found myself hating about the gamepad mind, and I've actually found the constant need to look back and forth between it and the tv I actually want to see the game on gives me motion sickness.

But that aside, which is really more a flaw in Nintendo's vision and hardware design than the game itself's fault, this is a really lovely, cute little puzzle platformer. Definitely worth the £25 I paid for it, and I hope Nintendo do more of these little side games going forward.

One thing I did note though, is that while I really loved the music, my fiancée who never had a Nintendo console growing up absolutely hated it, and insisted I mute the game while playing it, despite enjoying it almost as much as I did (although she actually hated the gamepad use even more than I did). Maybe it's another nostalgia thing? Anyone else have experience with non Nintendo fans finding those jaunty tunes annoying?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Captain Toad's theme is S-tier and hardly old enough to be nostalgic. Your fiancee simply has poor taste.

KooopaKid

Banned
4 hours for all missing collectibles, time attack, bonus levels and the final level? Good luck with that.

There's also a time attack mode? Cool but depending on how difficult it is, I won't be bothering with it.
Anyway, I think I managed to get like 80% of gems and optional objectives already, so 4 more hours seems possible. I'll let you know :)

Captain Toad's theme is S-tier and hardly old enough to be nostalgic. Your fiancee simply has poor taste.

Yeah, that's what I told her, it did just make me wonder though how much my growing up with the old 8/16bit era music, which I find CT harking back to, has affected my taste in game music like that.

Kouriozan

Just got the game from Amazon France, registering it bumped my stars counts to 10,000+ *-*
I need the EU surprise they said last month.

Well, time for some Toad!

weekev

Banned
My copy finally arrived today (still a week and a half early) decided to wrap it and stick it under the tree "from the kids"

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There's also a time attack mode? Cool but depending on how difficult it is, I won't be bothering with it.
Anyway, I think I managed to get like 80% of gems and optional objectives already, so 4 more hours seems possible. I'll let you know :)

Yeah, there's a time associated to each level, you unlock it by collecting everything / completing all challenges in a book. The times are reasonable, yet not all too easy.

KooopaKid

Banned
So yeah I'm around 9h30 now so 100% in 10 hours is going to be impossible. For those thinking it's too short, it's not. Great value here.

BraXzy

Just got this today. Only played around 5 levels so far but really really like it. I'm surprised at the variety from the offset, I was expecting more gradual changes in theme or whatever. It's so so satisfying to work out and complete :)

TheMoon

Well, basically that I guess; whether it's official, only some stores, etc... thanks!

No, the official date is still January 2 as digital codes still aren't redeemable, afaik. Nintendo seem to simply have given the okay to break street date for Christmas for stores that already received their shipment. You can buy it in France and Germany too, depending on the store. I received my German copy just today, ordered online from a online store.

Mohonky

So annoyed they released this early in the UK but Aus is stuck with 3rd January :( would have been a great christmas title.

krae_man

How do you get a feather on a book? Ive completed the first two books with all 3 gems and the extra challange and only book 1 has a feather.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How many bonus stages are there? Got worried when they started needing lots of gems to unlock, but only four? Only completed books one and two so far though.

Top Bottom