• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Scoops

Banned
About halfway through Book 2. Some impressions:

- Graphically, game looks good. Lots of little effects especially involving the Captain. Good variety too. I'm glad there's not themed worlds and instead each level is different.
- The levels for the most are really good. We take EAD Tokyo for granted at this point but some of the puzzles are super clever and challenging, especially if you're trying to get all the hidden items.
- Minecart levels are cool and break up the game play but I feel like more could've been done with them
- LOVE the boss levels. Really well done.
- The camera is kind of odd, as there's one zoomed in setting that is too zoomed in and one zoomed out setting that is a bit too zoomed out. It's not a huge deal, just a little annoying.
- The presentation is a bit meh. The whole story book thing is a little clumsy (I found myself accidently starting the same level I just finished several times, because it doesn't turn pages after you beat a level, I guess that's my fault though). Seems like there should be a Mario World style over world map to actually represent the Toads' linear adventure. Also the main menu where you select the story book is super plain, which is a shame for such a colorful and cute game.
- I'm about 3 hours of gameplay in for being halfway through the main story, and I'm not 100%'ing stuff and haven't done time trials either. If you're scared you won't get you're money's worth, don't be.
- The
3D World
levels are cool I suppose from a lore perspective but not fun at all gameplay wise. Don't buy this game thinking you're going to spend more then 10 minutes on those.

Overall, it's a good game. I'm glad it was made as the Toad levels in 3D World were some of my favorite parts of that game. I'm also glad this is a $40 title. Couldn't imagine paying more for it. I hope we get some DLC. The way Nintendo has been doing DLC has been tons of content for a very low price, to reward gamers for paying full price for the base game. Something like a story book for $10 would sound good and knowing Nintendo, they would have a bundle with multiple story books for even less, which would be hard to pass up.

moozoom

Found (and bought) the game today in a micromania store, but can't play it. I'm at my family house in the south of France, an my Wii U is in Paris !

Glad I don't have to wait till early January, so I can wait till Sunday to play it...

Stencil

How do the mechanics of the Mummy-Me work? I can tell it follows your movements, but not quite 1:1. I can't figure it out.

What are some strategies to slow him down?

zroid

Banned
- The
3D World
levels are cool I suppose from a lore perspective but not fun at all gameplay wise. Don't buy this game thinking you're going to spend more then 10 minutes on those.

well you're gonna have to if you want to 100% it lol

to meet the coin goals that is

entremet

Man, this game oozes charm.

I usually play on the TV, but I've been playing this on the Gamepad. It's like an HD portable title.

The length is perfect is a well.

One my big complaints of modern gaming is the padding of games length with useless fat. This is perfect.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
One my big complaints of modern gaming is the padding of games length with useless fat. This is perfect.
Literally no intro. Straight into the game. Minimalist menu and presentation.

EAD have gotten really, really good about this. I loved that SM3DW had only 1 minute of exposition, then it was straight to business with a minimalist world map. That's a big reason why I feel like it's the most replayable 3D Mario to date; hardly any downtime to speak of. Captain Toad is no-nonsense as well.

RaidenZR

Having trouble finding the Golden Mushroom in Spooky Specters at Shadow Manor
(Episode 2, Page 8 with Toadette)
. Can anyone give a helpful nudge without giving away the secret completely?

Having trouble finding the Golden Mushroom in Spooky Specters at Shadow Manor
(Episode 2, Page 8 with Toadette)
. Can anyone give a helpful nudge without giving away the secret completely?

There is no golden mushroom.

The challenge is to collect the 1-Up Mushroom.

Hint: find the blue Toad Brigade member.

gretos

Neo Member
I've got the game since Thursday and my god the game is full of charm. I'm playing it with
big grin on my face. Another title I'm truly enjoying!

I'm blessed with my game purchases this year all thanks to Nintendo. Now, I'm looking forward for their incoming games in 2015.

TheMoon

I got a German copy in time for Christmas so I've been playing this game for a few days now. I gotta call BS on all the camera/gyro complaints. You people need to learn to sit still and stop doing hoola hoops while playing this game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
How do you lucky bastards feel about the depth perception in this game?

Is there anything remotely as bad as Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark (AKA the fuck you level).

Malus

I got a German copy in time for Christmas so I've been playing this game for a few days now. I gotta call BS on all the camera/gyro complaints. You people need to learn to sit still and stop doing hoola hoops while playing this game.

I know right. I've watched a bunch of let's plays on youtube and nowhere have I seen anyone struggling with the camera.

Gotta say Bayonetta 2 took the GOTY crown from this game for me after I finally played it lol. Still love the good captain though.

Malus

Is there anything remotely as bad as Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark (AKA the fuck you level).

The lack of jumping, slow pace, and full camera control ( you can swing the camera to a top down view and zoom in) really mitigate any issues with depth perception.

Velcro Fly

Got the game for Christmas. Played now for a little bit just now and got past the first six levels. Game is pretty fun and relaxing. Perfect game for going in short bursts of a few levels at a time.

Also bonus levels for having 3D World data on my Wii U is a nice touch. Only played the first two worlds of that but I've already seen Captain Toad a few times in that one.

maxcriden

It's not BS, just a difference of opinion. Gyro is my least issue with the camera. It's more about the too zoomed out and too zoomed in camera options. Lemme quote my earlier post:

Played a bit more. It's a very charming game but in a way it's kind of a disappointment if I'm honest with myself, mostly because I feel like even besides my own limitations it's not optimized for enjoyment, given the tweak-ready factors I mentioned above. I feel like the most crucial of those is the mid-zoom option. When the game is zoomed in you just do not have a sufficient field of information to properly play a level. For me at least, when it's zoomed out I feel like I'm straining to see all of the aspects of the level on the screen. I think this is an inherent limitation in the game's philosophy of almost every level being an individual diorama, but since some levels do not hew as closely to this template, I see no good reason why there can't be a mid-zoom option. I dunno. I don't mean to proselytize for this. It just feels like a significant oversight and for me a hindrance in enjoying the game. (FWIW, I did find covering the screen with a blanket has helped a bit in the dizziness/headache department.)

With that said, I am enjoying the game. I'm 25 or so levels in now and it's very clever and sweet. The graphics are charming as all get out. The music is very, very similar to 3DW which is not a bad thing per se since this is a spin-off, but it does give the game a bit less of its own identity in a way. (Ah, here I go again, criticizing the game even though I really like a lot of it.) It does feel like some of the levels are over in a bit too much of a blink of an eye if you're only going for the goal.

All in all, I'm not sure what I wanted to expected from the game differently than I got. I feel like a bit of a curmudgeon critiquing the game like this, but these factors really do affect my experience with the game. The game is just so full of greatness that in some aspects of it I feel like I can't help but see some of what feel to me like missing features, at least from a technical aspect. With all of that said, as great as the great aspects of the game are, even in and of itself putting aside any flaws I perceive, I don't think this is GOTY material for me like I hoped it'd be. In a year with Shovel Knight, Pushmo World, Tropical Freeze and Kirby: Triple Deluxe, to name a few or so, I don't feel like this feels fully fledged and satisfying in the same way.

(I hope y'all know I love Toad and feel a bit guilty for critiquing his game like this. ;__;)

It's not about "BS," more a difference of opinion. I find the camera set up the way it is a bit nauseating and I think it scrolls a bit too quickly with the right stick. For me personally, this makes the game more headache-inducing to play than other games. I just find it a bit de-legitmizing of those with issues with the camera to basically say "stay still," as though everyone having issues with the camera must just be moving around like crazy. :-/

Finally started this today and this is the perfect game to play while "watching" something in the background. Stages are just the right lenght and the environments change up enough so everything doesn't look and feel the same. I did a few of the bonus levels but right now I'm in book 2 chapter 11. I think I have to stop for now I can't find this darn golden mushroom in this stage.

zroid

Banned
Finally started this today and this is the perfect game to play while "watching" something in the background. Stages are just the right lenght and the environments change up enough so everything doesn't look and feel the same. I did a few of the bonus levels but right now I'm in book 2 chapter 11. I think I have to stop for now I can't find this darn golden mushroom in this stage.

word, played it almost exclusively on the GamePad with whatever sports on the TV, lol

Vena

word, played it almost exclusively on the GamePad with whatever sports on the TV, lol

We played it with the controller playing/watching the GamePad and the others watching the TV and pointing out things or being backseat drivers, lol.

It ended up working out a surprisingly great hands-off multiplayer game for a bunch of people.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What a gem. Most people deserve Captain Toad in their library. Nintendo magic, blablabla: it's pure EAD, they took a concept and applied perfection to it. Playing this with my girls has been one of my favorite moments of 2014 :)

blu

The lack of jumping, slow pace, and full camera control ( you can swing the camera to a top down view and zoom in) really mitigate any issues with depth perception.
Thanks. Good to know they solved that. I had a really tough transition time from SM3DL to SM3DW.

Sixfortyfive

Thanks. Good to know they solved that. I had a really tough transition time from SM3DL to SM3DW.
As someone who has issues with depth perception in day to day life, SM3DL was way worse about this. I can't use the 3D effect of the 3DS at all. That was really bothersome in SM3DL because a lot of areas seemed to be specifically designed to utilize it, and the camera would often swing around to views that were deliberately obtuse unless you could see the stereoscopic 3D, which I couldn't. I never had issues with SM3DW because the camera was far more static, and the levels weren't designed for stereoscopic 3D in the first place.

TheMoon

It's not BS, just a difference of opinion. Gyro is my least issue with the camera. It's more about the too zoomed out and too zoomed in camera options. Lemme quote my earlier post:

Just to be clear, your issues weren't what I was addressing. I was addressing the general complaint of "the camera keeps moving if I breathe." Which is entirely solved by just sitting still.

MrBadger

Just started this today (thanks for breaking the street date, GAME) and I'm having a blast. It's the game I never knew I wanted so much.

Actually much better than I thought it would be. The ability to zoom in is also very helpful.

RaidenZR

This game is so good. I'm currently working through Episode 3 and I love pretty much every environment. Toad and Toadette are so charming and likeable, and I'm shocked that I've encountered nothing in this game makes me frustrated or upset at all. So good. Only disappointed they didn't implement stamps this time around.

I've been out of the loop a bit but has there been even a whisper as to what the Amiibo support will include?

blu

As someone who has issues with depth perception in day to day life, SM3DL was way worse about this. I can't use the 3D effect of the 3DS at all. That was really bothersome in SM3DL because a lot of areas seemed to be specifically designed to utilize it, and the camera would often swing around to views that were deliberately obtuse unless you could see the stereoscopic 3D, which I couldn't. I never had issues with SM3DW because the camera was far more static, and the levels weren't designed for stereoscopic 3D in the first place.
That's where my main issue with SM3DW comes from - the generally static camera, combined with the rather minimalistic perspective effect - that combination can deprive me of depth perception very effectively. Time and again I've jumped toward an edge just to miss it by half an avatar length. The game takes an extra mile to provide pronounced '2d whereabouts' shadows of all traversible objects in a level, but that's not a natural cue to me - I've been forcing myself to look at the shadows in some situations. In all honesty, I didn't play through all of SM3DL in 3D - just some levels, but there the stereoscopic effect made for a welcome difference.

maxcriden

Just to be clear, your issues weren't what I was addressing. I was addressing the general complaint of "the camera keeps moving if I breathe." Which is entirely solved by just sitting still.

Ah. Fair enough, sorry if I came off a bit strong. I still think it's a bit of a wide brush to paint those issues with for those players who don't care for auto-gyro, as it's an issue that could be easily solved by an in-game option, and as some people genuinely have a hard time staying still and most games don't require them to do so (and FWIW this isn't like Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble or something where the premise of the game requires movement on the part of the player), but we can agree to disagree of course.

Sixfortyfive

Gyro controls are bad.

It shouldn't be a hassle to play this game if I feel like doing so lying down and shifting my weight every once in a while.

Just finished the 3 books 100%. Only started it two days ago. What an amazing game, probably my GOTY.

Can't wait to do the bonus levels. Patrick Klepek makes the last one sound toughhh.

I love they made this a prequel to Super Mario 3D World too.

Got this early in the UK. Just started Chapter 2 and, well, nobody can compete with Nintendo. They're in a class of their own.

Perfect holiday game.

Spades

Really fun game to play - it has a great pace to it. Can't wait to see what Amiibo support they introduce. Have there been any theories yet as to how they'll do that?

Ventara

Oh man, this game is awesome and is delivering on the value. Just when I thought I was close to finishing, the game throws another book at me with a whole new set of levels. And these ones seem more challenging. And Episode 1 now seems to have a speed challenge for each level, so gotta replay those. And I just now noticed the bonus section, which is pretty cool.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This game deserves more attention. It's amazing.
It's probably a classic that will age better than all games released this year. Yet you're right, Toad deserves much more attention now. 18 pages of discussions on GAF for an EAD game released during Christmas? It feels so... weird.

Top Bottom