• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions Announced for PS4, Switch, & PC | First Screenshots, Box Art, & More

Fbh

Do we get to play in not-Fc barcelona FC Catalunya ?

cataluna-1.jpg

Last edited:

NT80

Please, no. Let it play more arcadey like ISSS. I stopped playing PES/FIFA because they became too complicated.

Yeah that's what I'm looking for. I used to really like ISS before it became Pro Evo and they started taking the realistic approach. There haven't been arcade style football games for some time.

Dontero

Banned
Do we get to play in not-Fc barcelona FC Catalunya ?

Currently Tsubasa plays for Barcelona, Hyuga is in Juventus but loaned to other club.

Don't understand the popularity of anime soccer series but people like it for some reason.

It is literally responsible for shitload of really huge football stars playing football at all. Tsubasa is probably more known in the world than any other anime including pokemon.

To understand it you just need to watch first season which had that amazing OP not beaten by anything until now:

For real this time. It is just really good anime with amazing cast of characters that grow with viewer. Tsubasa starts as this really talented kid and then he gets really nasty injury which hounts him for rest of his carrier. He has arch nemesis in Hyuga who doesn't find football fun but he uses it as playfield to show everyone how he is the best which was almost beaten into him by his abusive father. In any normal anime those guys would be enemies for rest of show but in Tsubasa they become friends and play together, then comes other people.

It is not really show about footbal but about characters in it and close group of friends who get to know each other by football. It is really timeless anime for all ages. Though later seasons go into DBZ territory which is why people say first few seasons are the best.

Also it perfected DBZ fights before DBZ was invented. It could take 4-5 eps just for one half of match to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
It is literally responsible for shitload of really huge football stars playing football at all. Tsubasa is probably more known in the world than any other anime including pokemon.

The data indicates it has a good following in SA, a decent audience in some of the EU, and a cult in Japan.

I'm sure it's a nice series but it doesn't seem to be much of an anime, then again if we are looking at places like SA, who had very few shows back in the day, i can see why this blew up since they didn't have much in the way of cartoons or anime back then, so something like this would have stood out.

Blond

Banned
Buying day 1. We need more arcade sports games again! If I wanted to simulate any of this I'd go outside and where's the fun in that? Let me hit a baseball homerun with the impact of a nuclear weapon again, damn!

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Now we need this adaptation games too

PA.14727.001.jpg

I really dont understand why dont bring Snes games of Sailor moon in Mexico.... The anime is so famous in Mexico too!

Last edited:

royox

Don't understand the popularity of anime soccer series but people like it for some reason.

Childhood nostalgia. I remember watching it every morning before school and discussing the episode with friends was the most hype thing till fucking Goku turned SSJ and blew our years old minds.

Now we need this adaptation games too

PA.14727.001.jpg

I really dont understand why dont bring Snes games of Sailor moon in Mexico.... The anime is so famous in Mexico too!

We don't even have a Hunter X Hunter-game. :(

And nobody bothered making a Neon Genesis Evangelion game for PS4.

Heck, imagine how awesome a Fullmetal Alchemist game by CyberConnect2 would look like.

This industry is very weird sometimes.

PS: The best sailor moon adaptations are made by Kuroinu. NSFW in case you google 🤷‍♀️🐧🙈

Paracelsus

The data indicates it has a good following in SA, a decent audience in some of the EU, and a cult in Japan.

I'm sure it's a nice series but it doesn't seem to be much of an anime, then again if we are looking at places like SA, who had very few shows back in the day, i can see why this blew up since they didn't have much in the way of cartoons or anime back then, so something like this would have stood out.

It blew up in every single place where soccer is popular.

It's basically a shounen like DB except with sports.

You have goalkeepers training by blocking rocks, breaking their hands and their shoulders during a game, people stepping on them and almost bleeding them to death with spikes, guys using their legs like a bow to shoot dragons on goal, guys who kick the ball with a spin like a bullet to hurt whoever is in the way, and then stuff like

It's no different than Dragon Ball really, they start "sort of" normal and they end up throwing fireballs at each other all the time.
American football had something like this, Eyeshield 21, practically every single sport had something in the same vein. Golf, table tennis, boxing, judo, swimming, rugby, volleyball etc.
There's more realistic anime takes on the sport, but people love Tsubasa because it's so bullshit.

It blew up in every single place where soccer is popular.

It definitely was more popular in some areas than others. I can give you that.

However, I've tried some games and the show and I just don't see the appeal but I also am in the US where there were so many different popular shows that would overshadow something like this so I get the nostalgia appeal for those who only had the show stand out.

Although I have no comment on the show, the games I've tried aren't exactly stellar.

EGOMON

Fuckin hyped when is this releasing in the west, i miss arcade football last time i played one was Tecmo World Cup

TLZ

Banned

You totally left out the Arab world. Hugely popular there.

dacuk

I... I'm speechless. They're giving this a shot in America.
Mostly because they are catering to Latin American market, where this anime is legendary.
I hope Bamco uses their brains and pay for the proper Latin American Spanish dub (its omission on DB:Kakarot is totally stupid)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Mostly because they are catering to Latin American market, where this anime is legendary.
I hope Bamco uses their brains and pay for the proper Latin American Spanish dub (its omission on DB:Kakarot is totally stupid)

So true

Again ... i dislike football but the nostalgia factor is hype me... and here in mexico we know the series as "los supercampeones" so im in the list to this game.

TLZ

Banned
There's a presence there but you'r pumping up the popularity a bit too much.
Nah. It's really popular there. Football (Soccer) is the #1 sport there and there are always kids playing football on the streets everywhere. So you can imagine how big a football cartoon like this would be for kids in the 80s and 90s.

Anime was popular there in general anyway.

Last edited:
Nah. It's really popular there. Football (Soccer) is the #1 sport there and there are always kids playing football on the streets everywhere. So you can imagine how big a football cartoon like this would be for kids in the 80s and 90s.

That doesn't translate, games sales are average with a few exceptions, the show was popular but it seems to have been more popular in some areas than others, sure Soccer is popular but that doesn't mean every country that likes soccer watched Captain Tsubasa at the same rate.

Verdanth

Apparently the game will be the official sponsor of the French National team for the next Euro 2020.

Rumor is that the release window may be around that time.

MiguelItUp

Holy shit, I just realized this was the anime I'd watch in Spain when I was 9/10. I always woke up to watch Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I'd catch this all the time. Always referred to it as "that anime that was about soccer/futbol and there were special moves and stuff", lol. This is awesome! Cool to see they're giving it a shot in the states as well! Holy crap nostalgia.

Top Bottom