• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capybaragames president thinks FC3:Blood dragon Trailer is a ripoff.

Azull

I think it's pretty clear that the FarCry guys have been 'inspired' by the Capy video. I support the Capy guy.

Go on...

How exactly are you so sure of this? Me and many others are buying Super Time Force when it comes out... Probably not Blood Dragon though.

1. STF is only on XBLA while Farcry 3 is on PS3, Xbox, and PC
2. Farcry 3 is AAA game that is widely known and critically acclaimed, STF does have it's following but most likely no where near Far cry 3's
3. FPS game

RooMHM

Oy. Im starting to wonder if it's getting to the point that twitter posts are a bad idea if you're a developer, as the risk of speaking too soo or too rash seems rather high these days.
Well posting on twitter shouldn't spare you to weigh the consequences and to think about what you say/write.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I assume Capy is overstressed because they are in some deep crunch time right now or something.

seat

Didn't realize these guys copyrighted 80's references. I hope Family Guy got the memo.

The game looks good though. This is the first I've heard of it.

TrutaS

I'm sorry Capy head, but while the idea of the trailer being interrupting a normal 90's broadcast is indeed borrowed, the rest is just too different, and the products are a world of difference. You've taken a bit of your anger back and I'm glad for you.

arne

Thing is, appropriation and emulation is like 50% of all movies ever, and beyond.

I doubt Godrey Reggio went on a rampage for the GTA IV trailer clearly emulating scenes from Koyaanisqatsi. I doubt Frtiz Lang (ok, he's dead, but my point stands) and Otomo called up Alex Proyas for emulating parts of their movies in Dark City. I doubt EA/Visceral called up Ridley Scott and asked why they used the same idea for their Prometheus TV spot.

It happens. Sometimes it's a downer, sometimes it doesn't. Take pride in that you did it first and started something. And then go do more things first.

Everybody wins.

DrNeroCF

Eh, the Super Time Force trailer is just 80s -> John Kricfalusi -> Pendleton Ward.

I think you have to be somewhat original to be ripped off...

Thing is, appropriation and emulation is like 50% of all movies ever, and beyond.

I doubt Godrey Reggio went on a rampage for the GTA IV trailer clearly emulating scenes from Koyaanisqatsi. I doubt Frtiz Lang (ok, he's dead, but my point stands) and Otomo called up Alex Proyas for emulating parts of their movies in Dark City. I doubt EA/Visceral called up Ridley Scott and asked why they used the same idea for their Prometheus TV spot.

It happens. Sometimes it's a downer, sometimes it doesn't. Take pride in that you did it first and started something. And then go do more things first.

Everybody wins.

For sure, but there's also some hubris in assuming that your property was the one being ripped off, when none of the traits they're complaining about are unique to the Super Time Force trailer in the slightest.

Com Truise did the same VHS tape thing as recently as 2011 with his Brokendate video. VHS/home video footage setting the tone for some nostalgic thing to follow is not an idea Capy came up with first, and as for GI Joe/80s cartoon parodies... we've got like two decades of stuff with similar nostalgic flair. Cheet Squad or whatever it was called from Homestar Runner, for one.

I'm not sure why he's worried that the sales of Blood Dragon will cut into Super TIME Force? Are they releasing in similar dates?

There are quite a few 80s and 90s themed games coming like Gone Home, Routine, Papers Please, etc. I doubt the audiences for each are overlapping.

All these games will play completely differently, are totally different genres, and maybe even have different audiences.

One is a VHS where a kid recorded a cartoon over his mom's tape. And it maintain its language *even when actual game graphics are displayed* through out.
The other is someone zapping channels and stops at a cartoon, then cuts to another cartoon to show the game based on the first cartoon, the goes back to the same visual language of the first cartoon but what I assume to be a representation of their spectators (or... the "real world").

I can see similarities, that are repeated in every attempt to reminisce/mock/idolize the late 80's/early 90's radical/extreme buddies attitude and the extreme anachronistic action/fiction shows. It was a fun time indeed for anyone that is between 25 and 40.
But the executions are different.

Ominym

Banned
First and foremost, these things look completely different. Secondly? They straight-up ripped off Adventure Time's art style. Calling the kettle black, eh?

Shaneus

Jesus, they aren't even remotely the same thing, if this is what Nathan thinks is coping then I guess he copied Retro City Rampage then.
That's what I was thinking... took me a bit, but it's this ad you're talking about, yeah?

In which case... yeah, hardly original of either of them.

Edit:
What about the Retro City Rampage Commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dEj_HHiQvY
Beaten like a red-headed stepchild. Serves me right for not reading the whole thread :/

xJavonta

Banned
He needs to stop. They both have the same theme. It's not a ripoff

That said I hadn't heard of this until now. Glad I did.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Everybody wins.

Exactly, Arne, thanks. It really sounds to me that indies are over-defensive with their work. When all other devs are the same, except that some are constrained or flourished by publishers (really depends on the developer).

Top Bottom