• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capybaragames president thinks FC3:Blood dragon Trailer is a ripoff.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I hope the next Dudebro 2 trailer is actually a ripoff of the Super Time Force one, just to see what this guy says.
It was meant to be an Apocalypse Now homage, but good idea.

In the mean time, this is the best I can do:

V6Bbr3h.png

(of course I'm just kidding, we had this hologram long before Super T.I.M.E. Force was announced)

AAK

HE is truly a great leader for his company. He threw his pride into the interweb dogs' den to be torn to shreds for the sake of getting the name of his company's game out there in the open. Now THAT is masterful marketing.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
They feel differently, apart from the beginning. But hey, on the plus side I now know of this game (that is for a console I don't have! Oh well).

I think the creator of something might feel that their work might feel threatened if someone else does something similar (and to be honest, both trailers are amazing, but the intro was done better by Ubisoft), so I can get his point, aside from that it might feel like this:

Brb trademarking the 80s.

Azull

I mean yeah the beginning is somewhat similar but after that?

People really need stop using twitter to rant, especially when they don't really have a leg stand on in the first place. Would have been more professional just to message the team that did the ad and talk it through.

Than we wouldn't be able to see how dumb some people are though...so I guess, yay?

A-goddamn-men

Glad there's an apology. That did seem like an overblown response. Nathan should be happy I've now heard of Super Time Force and think it looks fun.

It works when you're right, I guess. Like when Glee ripeed off that Jonathan Coulton song

Great, now I have to look this up. :p

Capy's trailer looks like it heavily borrowed certain elements from the Ren & Stimpy show.

FC3 Blood Dragon looks like more of a parody of 80s cartoons.

The two trailers are really nothing alike.

Pepboy

... huh, am I the only one NOT seeing anything even remotely close to Time Force?

Is it because they both use cartoons?

You are not the only one.

I think Nathan must feel very connected and passionate about his work, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, that emotion overflowed when he saw something vaguely related. (Both have a 5 second "Oh I'm watching 80s TV/VHS" intro that leads to a supposed 80s cartoon, although the execution and framing are totally different.)

Nathan said:
I apologize to @spleenzilla & the FC3BD team for my harsh statements. I've been told it was all happenstance, and I'll take their word.

Personally, I find Nathan's reaction and apology extremely distasteful. Even if it wasn't happenstance, so what? Since when did anyone need Nathan's permission to reference the 80s (a shared experience by many, not just Nathan) in an attempt to connect to an audience? The trailer concept was not that original. Such a weird reaction when they are almost copying Adventure Time style with Ren and Stimpy vibes.

I only had positive experiences with Capybaragames previously, and was looking forward to STF. But I certainly don't feel any good will to the company now.

element

I went to this guys GDC panel and found him to be hyper opinionated to the point of being annoying. These tweets don't shock me.

I personally don't see a similarity other than pop culture references, which I'm sure all the designers were influenced by growing up. I'm a similar age and I see all the Commando, Die Hard, Terminator references in Blood Dragon. I don't see any of that in STF. I see Blood Dragon more along the lines of Duke Nukem then the Capy game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just watched both trailers and saw nothing that qualifies as rip-off. My sound was off, though, so maybe it's totally different with audio. (Doubt it.)

It's very natural for humans to see correlations that aren't really there. This one is a spurious correlation - an apparent association between two things that arises because both of those things are caused by a third thing. In this case, the third thing is the 1980s.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the outer limits of cognitive distortion, but this Capy dude needs to recognize that references to 80s cartoons and sci-fi are not exactly a 1 in 6 billion idea.

On top of that, Blood Dragon actually continues to use that aesthetic in the game itself. STF's in-game aesthetic has nothing to do with the 80s, does it?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I only had positive experiences with Capybaragames previously, and was looking forward to STF. But I certainly don't feel any good will to the company now.
It must be nice trying to be your friend.

Salsa

my love for Capy is no secret but yeah, that's a bit of a stretch

I mean sure they are catering to the same tropes but it's not like Capy games invented that with Super Time Force either..

Pepboy

It must be nice trying to be your friend.

This did get a good laugh from me. Although I tried to look at things from Nathan's perspective, I was just being honest that his apology still seemed arrogant in a way I do not appreciate.

Perhaps because I work in academia in which we are constantly improving on each other's work and a claim of plagiarism is not something casually levied, I overreacted. I will reflect on it. Anyways, I hope my post history would generally paint a different picture.

hmm, for me personally, other than the initial 80's-like commercials in the very beginning and which only lasted for a few seconds, and the release date year adjustment at the end, I didn't find the bulk of either trailer to be similar to each other.

Amir0x

Banned
I can see how someone really close to Super Time Force might think that, and so I don't view him negatively for thinking that, but it's just broad strokes 80s parody stuff, not really similar outside of that.

Takiyah

As I made sure to say in the part of my post that you *didn't* quote, I was speaking generally about people Twitter, not this guy. If you honestly want to tell me that you think Twitter isn't dangerous to businesses/projects/public perception/people's jobs, you're on the wrong forum to be doing it.

God forbid this is a forum where people disagree.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So maybe they should also add the Super Meat Boy 90s commericial to the pool?

It is pretty weird to see both use obviously-modern-flash-style animation to try and ape 80;s animation styles; I'd like to see more hand-drawn cels, odd proportions and angles, opening moments obviously outsourced to foreign animation companies, and things shift color because different painters colored the same animation, and one mistook a gloved hand for an uncovered one...

But otherwise, they're both a small bit off in their own way. Blood Dragon gets away with saying that'd never exist on an 80s cartoon commericial, and Capy's riffs on 80s and 90s stuff with no clear division between the two, which makes it feel a bit less "pure".

I'd have rather heard Capy was releasing a 2nd trailer, than to hear this particular bit of "news" on this game, though. I'd appreciate a new one!

Salsa

Lots of gems from Capybara games. Their creative director apparently does much care for Bioshock Infinite.

jcUZWdrnWsDml.png

eh, I dont see the point of this or how it should contribute to bash Capybara as a group or anything

that's just a personal opinion on someone who didnt like Infinite, or think that its flaws shouldnt grant it those high reviews.

Several of those flying around and everyone's entitled to their own. It's not like he's saying "LOL I COULD HAVE DONE IT BETTER"

the problem with twitter is when people start using it to a point where they just instantly say whatever's on their mind without a filter. Nathan apologized and admitted it was a knee-jerk reaction.

eh, I dont see the point of this or how it should contribute to bash Capybara as a group or anything

that's just a personal opinion on someone who didnt like Infinite, or think that its flaws shouldnt grant it those high reviews.

Several of those flying around and everyone's entitled to their own. It's not like he's saying "LOL I COULD HAVE DONE IT BETTER"

the problem with twitter is when people start using it to a point where they just instantly say whatever's on their mind without a filter. Nathan apologized and admitted it was a knee-jerk reaction.

Obviously it's not representational of other employees, they're not a hivemind, but it's different when you put your position at a studio in your profile description. No matter how you slice it, that will go back to them. It's no longer just an opinion when you put it out for the whole world that "Yes, I'm a creative director at this studio and here's what I think about this thing".

It's very immature and childish to speak like this, especially as an industry professional about another studio.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I totally see it. An animated GI Joe parody starting off with VHS tape artifacts/stuff that's been recorded over, when the actual game is not in that style. I think he's right, if they didn't take the idea it's a pretty big coincidence. It's not that general that I think Ubi gets a pass. Maybe if you're not old enough to remember the old GI Joe cartoon you won't see it, but it's pretty much the exact cartoon that both are referencing.
Capy's was definitely referencing GI Joe with the PSA, but I wouldn't be so specific on Blood Dragon. The 80's were jam-packed with cartoons that primarily existed to sell toys of cool-looking military guys with guns and exposed chests and vehicles that fired projectiles, GI Joe was a drop in a sea of similar cartoons. The 'genre', as it was, definitely had a critical mass that defines the era and is the largest, most obvious target if you're going to make a 80's cartoon parody.

Salsa

Obviously it's not representational of other employees, they're not a hivemind, but it's different when you put your position at a studio in your profile description. No matter how you slice it, that will go back to them. It's very immature and childish to speak like this, especially as an industry professional about another studio.

I dont see how he's speaking about another studio, he's speaking about the industry in general and he's entitled to do so as part of it

people should be able to complain about stuff that bothers them. The comment you mentioned about Infinite seems completely professional and inside bounds to me. Nathan's not so much, but he admitted as much.

fallagin

Flipping through channels is not really new. Sure, the order is similar in that it's commercials then cartoon, but its a totally different style of cartoon like gi joe rather than the ren & stumpy style that stf had. Even if they did copy, its not really a very big deal since you can't (and shouldn't)patent ordering.

kenjisalk

Maybe these guys should quit spending time gnashing their teeth about other games treading somewhat similar territory in a public forum and focus on finishing their game they've been working on for-fucking-EVER.

Possibly they could've gotten their game out sooner and they would be more of a precious 80s reference snowflake?

Niwa

AHAHAHAH this hit me off guard!

And on topic, the beginning is quite similiar from the execution but nothing really to claim the whole concept is the same, it's like saying that all of them are stealing from the Mass Effect April Fools Cartoon Intro from last year. I also didn't know this Super Time Force before but now I'm super interested in the game, the trailer was ace, haha.

Their marketing worked..

Top Bottom