• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casey Hudson leaves BioWare

Fruitster

Best of luck to him. The series has its critics, but I'll always love the Mass effect games. Kotor was supreme too. Cheers Casey and all the best for the future.

MedIC86

Isnt this a good thing kind of? i remember a post somewhere of a writer on ME3 that said in the end casey was forcing down a lot of decisions which ended up in the debacle...

The blog post states that the new IP is now set to enter pre-production so doesn't seem like it's been canned (yet).

The IP is fine, based on the post - why in the world would anyone think otherwise at the moment?

I'm not familiar with the process of canceling an IP, but how often are games canceled this far into development?

Isnt this a good thing kind of? i remember a post somewhere of a writer on ME3 that said in the end casey was forcing down a lot of decisions which ended up in the debacle...

Well, supposedly he and Mac stonewalled the other writers out on the ending of ME3.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
He was project director of the greatest game of all time, Kotor. Hopefully he returns to games at some point.

2 years after the ending of Mass Effect 3 and it is still claiming victims :-O . It can't be long now before that EA meme of Bioware joining other deceased studios becomes a reality. Not that it is something to celebrate but hell at times that ending still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Now all we need is ole Mac Walters to be given his p45.

Ridesh

Banned
It's pretty sad that the haters will remember him for the ME3 ending instead of the awesome games he made before.

gdt

Well his letter says the new IP is coming along to the point where he doesn't have to Shepard it anymore.

Good for Casey, big loss for Bioware but they'll be fine. Love the Mass Effect trilogy.

Valnen

This is a pretty big deal right? Hopefully this doesn't mean worse things for the company going forward. I still like Bioware games =/.

JohnGrimm

The end of an era indeed.

Still, I can't wait to see what he works on next, assuming he sticks with video games. Maybe he's going to start his own Micro Brewery and his first creation will be The Hudson Lager.

Hated what he did with the end of Mass Effect, but the rest of his work was pretty incredible. This is a huge loss for Bioware and hopefully he returns to AAA gaming and creates another IP as amazing a Mass Effect.

EDIT: The Doctors and now Casey Hudson gone. Bioware is not Bioware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
First Rob Pardo leaves Blizzard and now Casey Hudson leaves Bioware. All the remaining talent at these companies is leaving in droves.

I think this kind of covers it:

"And the people here are some of my closest friends. I’ve spent more time with many of you than my own family"

Ralemont

not me
It's pretty sad that the haters will remember him for the ME3 ending instead of the awesome games he made before.

image.php

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain, right?

RE_Player

Don't know if I should be worried or glad for Bioware. He was a veteran and was attached to some of the best games Bioware made. On the other hand I wouldn't mind some new blood in Bioware since every single one of their games since KOTOR have been following a very specific plot formula.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wow, I really never expected this. I've loved all his games (despite the ending of ME 3). I really hope he stays in game development.

TheYanger

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ending of ME3 was primarily his idea no? Maybe I'm petty, but it undermines any issue I would have with this.

Awesome games like what? Baldur's Gate? Sure, I'll give you that. But what have we had since?

Jade Empire? Barely even worth remembering.
Kotor? Obsidian ate their lunch with Kotor 2.
Mass Effect? Don't even get me started.

Nerokis

Guessing we'll hear this happened in the coming weeks.

New CEO's influence starting to be felt?

What an incredible knee-jerk reaction.

Anyway, a huge loss for Bioware indeed. As sad as I was when the doctors left, I started associating Bioware's creative output more with people like Hudson long before, and they were certainly replaceable as businessmen (didn't always make the best decisions for the company, anyway). In this case, though, I have no idea who's going to fill Hudson's shoes.

An actual end of an era.

I still think Bioware's Edmonton studio has a ton of talent left that could still push them in a positive new direction. I'm excited to see whatever their new IP is...I have no doubt it will be hugely ambitious.

adj_noun

EDIT: The Doctors and now Casey Hudson gone. Bioware is not Bioware.

At least we're seemingly entering a bit of an RPG renaissance as of late. As for Bioware, I really hope Inquisition is as good as, well, I hope it turns out to be.

Good luck to Casey and all the Bioware folks.

I still think Bioware's Edmonton studio has a ton of talent left that could still push them in a positive new direction. I'm excited to see whatever their new IP is...I have no doubt it will be hugely ambitious.

It'll have trees!

edit: well, one of 'em does

Simzyy

This kinda sucks.

He did more good at BioWare than bad. He made some missteps on ME3, but in general he did a lot of great work.

But change is sometimes good! Here's hoping the future of Bioware is less controversial and more awesome.

Zyae

Mass Effect is one of the best series ever created, they are all brilliant games save the last 5 minutes of ME3. Thank you for your contributions Casey

Staal

Well that's unexpected. I wish him the best of luck and am at least curious to his eventual new endeavours.

Top Bottom