• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casey Hudson leaves BioWare

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Now all Bioware needs to do is bring back Karpyshyn.

That would be pretty nice alright, his Darth Bane books are really good. Or at least they were really good because apparently they don't exist anymore.

Thanks Disney, shower of bastards

Hupsel

Thank you, Casey. KOTOR and Mass Effect 2 are some of the best games Ive ever played. Ty for the memories hope to see you working on something new soon!

Andrew.

Banned
63d1640f8d082ea4547092b538281a62d721126287c2a818279114dfa6681ccf.jpg

Guess he chose blue.

So blue ending it is.

Dude you guys are killing me here. Holy shitballs.

Awesome games like what? Baldur's Gate? Sure, I'll give you that. But what have we had since?

Jade Empire? Barely even worth remembering.
Kotor? Obsidian ate their lunch with Kotor 2.
Mass Effect? Don't even get me started.
Don't get you started on what, one of the best franchises of last gen? Or is this a case where your preference/opinion dwarfs the massive majority of both reviewers and gamers that see it as such?

Nerokis

Hope it's not a sign the new Bioware IP is struggling to take shape.

The opposite, it seems. I'm getting the impression Hudson has been preparing to leave for awhile, and now that the new IP is coming along, he saw this as the best time to do so.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I don't care who it is, I never like to see someone lose a job. Even if it's them leaving for something new (I still wish them the best of luck as they transition out). That said, I didn't like Hudson's impact on Mass Effect, and in general, I've not been a fan of where Bioware has been going the past 5-6 years. As others have said, I also don't care for Walters either.

So my feelings on this is well, maybe Bioware can move in a new and better direction. Either way, I wish Hudson the best of luck in whatever comes next.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Sad to see him go. He did create ME and while it did change from the original vision a lot it's still one of my favorite series of all time.

Also love the gloom and doom from so many people, like Casey leaving means BioWare is finished. There are still so many key people there that been around since BG. One guy leaving really means nothing.

Ridesh

Banned
Awesome games like what? Baldur's Gate? Sure, I'll give you that. But what have we had since?

If you are trying to say that KOTOR [GOTY 2003 for critics and gamers], ME1 & ME2 [GOTY 2010 for critics and gamers] are shitty games, well, we don't have nothing to discuss.

dreamfall

Whoa, this is unexpected. I liked him, I watched a lot of the dev videos before ME2 launched and he was definitely a visionary in Bioware. Best of luck to him, maybe moving to work on a new IP? The reactions to the ME3 ending must've been soul crushing.

Darklord

Banned

Kotor 1 was amazing and considered one of the all-time best Star Wars games and Mass Effect 1 and 2 are considered, even by GAF, and two of the best games of last generation. But you're right, he was clearly shit.

All the big original people leaving the studio... makes me worried about the future no matter how much they say it's in good hands. :(

I guess I just hope he stays in game development. KOTOR and the ME trilogy are all amazing.

BrhysH

I had the opportunity to meet Casey and the ME team. He was a pretty awesome dude, I wish him all the best.

BFIB

Not trying to derail the thread here, but why does it always seem like EA is the kiss of death to good dev teams?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If you are trying to say that KOTOR [GOTY 2003 for critics and gamers], ME1 & ME2 [GOTY 2010 for critics and gamers] are shitty games, well, we don't have nothing to discuss.

Thats was one of the worst posts I have seen on here for a while. He needs to replace his incorrect opinions with correct opinions.

Marcel

Whoa, this is unexpected. I liked him, I watched a lot of the dev videos before ME2 launched and he was definitely a visionary in Bioware. Best of luck to him, maybe moving to work on a new IP? The reactions to the ME3 ending must've been soul crushing.

Stonewalling most of the Bioware writing staff regarding the ending was a great idea on Casey's part, huh? It was really worth protecting.

Marcel

I love how the opinion "KOTOR II is a better game than KOTOR I" is slowly hyperbolizing into "KOTOR I was shit."

Let's check back in once November rolls around.

I never called it shit so I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth.

I think this kind of covers it:

"And the people here are some of my closest friends. I’ve spent more time with many of you than my own family"

Everytime any leaves a video game company, the conspiracy theories fly. He's worked there 16 years. That's... that's a long time. I think most people see video games as a "fun" job (not saying it isn't) and wonder why they would ever quit it.

Interestingly enough, Mac's title is now "Narrative Director" and not "Lead Writer."

no.
nonononononononononono

Why am I not surprised that GAF is being super cynical about this...

Best of lucky Casey. The Mass Effect Trilogy was one of the finest series of games ever made. The first game still holds a special place in my heart, and the second and third are still some of my favorite games of all time (I actually think ME3 is far superior to ME2... So suck it GAF!). Here's hoping you create the next big thing when you come back from your much deserved break!

Kotor 1 was amazing and considered one of the all-time best Star Wars games and Mass Effect 1 and 2 are considered, even by GAF, and two of the best games of last generation. But you're right, he was clearly shit.

I never said the games were shit. I said they weren't awesome. They were, certainly, competent crowd pleasers that a ton of people enjoyed.

Skele7on

Banned
Looks like he picked his color ending, after all.

still a better story than Twilight....

Thanks for all your hard work over the years MDK2 was absolutely awesome and what can I say about Star Wars and Mass effect.....

He'll be greatly missed, but I'm sure we'll see him doing what he does best again soon!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interestingly enough, Mac's title is now "Narrative Director" and not "Lead Writer." An odd title.

http://ca.linkedin.com/in/macwalters

A lot of mega studios get progressively larger titles as more and more people are added.

This is why you start seeing titles like "Senior Art Director", "Lead Art Director", and "Director of Art and Animation".

That said I believe he's still the main narrative director on both Mass Effect on the new IP.

Das_Blarthole

Neo Member
If the IP was in trouble, and given the tone of the letter, I think the teaser emails and trailers to the new IP would never have surfaced - mainly because he would have had to have worked at least some notice.

If it was amicable, it's likely that this has been in the offing for at least a month.

RE_Player

I still hold onto the hope that someone will write the story of how that ending came to be and Bioware's internal reaction the the blowback someday.
God I would pay to read that story! Between EA forcing them to make the game with a less than 2 year dev cycle and the fan reaction, to what was ultimately a garbage ending, the team must have been devastated.

Ralemont

not me
I never called it shit so I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth.

Okay. You dot quoted someone completely dismissing the first game while also saying yourself that BioWare's writing sucks, so I don't think my jump in logic was completely unjustified. But you're right, you never said it was shit.

Wow, it's going to be really weird thinking of BioWare without him. Interested to hear what he does in the future. Best wishes, Mr. Hudson.

Marcel

Okay. You dot quoted someone completely dismissing the first game while also saying yourself that BioWare's writing sucks, so I don't think my jump in logic was hard. But you're right, you never said it was shit.

Obsidian made a better game in my opinion, which is why I quoted him. Everything that happened after that are your own inane assumptions and overreactions taking over.

Denton

I don't know what Casey did specifically, but I absolutely loved KOTOR and entire Mass Effect trilogy (I only played the third with all DLCs), so thanks for that! And I wish him all the best.

Damn shame he'll only be remembered around here for the ME3 ending thing, especially as people retroactively label all his work crap. Didn't know he was the Jade Empire guy, damn fine game.

Darklord

Banned
Gotta say, it's threads like this that make developers really hate GAF and the reason people like Cliff B says GAF is a full of cunts.
Casey Hudson is one of the most achieved developers in the last decade and his games were beloved by GAF but because of one shitty ending everyone is saying how great it is that he's gone, leaving snarky remarks, and being a smartarse. His games were some of my most memorable gaming memories and I think it's a huge bummer he didn't get to end on a high note or make a new, awesome IP. I really hope he can find a new place, maybe in a smaller company, making new RPG's.

kai3345

Banned
Gotta say, it's threads like this that make developers really hate GAF and the reason people like Cliff B says GAF is a full of cunts.
Casey Hudson is one of the most achieved developers in the last decade and his games were beloved by GAF but because of one shitty ending everyone is saying how great it is that he's gone, leaving snarky remarks, and being a smartarse. His games were some of my most memorable gaming memories and I think it's a huge bummer he didn't get to end on a high note or make a new, awesome IP. I really hope he can find a new place, maybe in a smaller company, making new RPG's.

agreed. Casey da man

Top Bottom