• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
lbQLVpL.png

170584b.jpg

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate
Platforms: Nintendo 3DS
Developer: MercurySteam
Director: José Luis Márquez
Supervisor: Enric Alvarez
Producer: David Cox

Release:

NA March 5, 2013
EU March 8, 2013
JP March 20, 2013

Initially set 25 years after the events of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Mirror of Fate will reveal the story of Gabriel’s descendants, as they battle their own destiny in each era only to discover their true, shocking fate.

Demo Impressions Thread

Reviews:

First german review - GamersGlobal 8.5/10

Innocuous Banter:

XXh0StV.gif

rFDH2Qr.gif

Demo available now in the 3DS eShop!

Thanks to Brandonh83 for the logo.

Miker

Aww, no cheeky OT title? Oh well. Anyway, I can't see this faring too well among reviewers or gaf given the impressions in the demo thread.

Sadist

I don't if I need to laugh or cry about the IGA pic.

I remain neutral. Anway, I'm interested in the game but I don't know if I will pay full price.

You know all this people who always ask for another Metroid? Here it is.
What? No. I didn't get that from the demo at all. It was more like a side scrolling God of War than anything else. Game doesn't remind me of Metroid at all.

edit: Oh, the maps? Heh.

I'm still undecided about this game, but knowing me, I'll probably end up picking it up.

Worst OT ever. Shame on you. SHAME.

I disliked the demo on playthru 1, namely due to framerate drops, but have grown to love it as I played it more. Controls and platforming are really tight. Only issue I have with platforming is that in the demo your character kinda gets sucked to the latch-on point if you miss by a little bit. This is definitely a game I wait for the reviews on before ordering from Amazon.

~Kinggi~

Banned
That is some appropriate Innocuous Banter.

I loved lords of shadow and look forward to the sequel, but this game actually offends me. They should be offering the 2d versions up on the handhelds.

kunonabi

Aww, no cheeky OT title? Oh well. Anyway, I can't see this faring too well among reviewers or gaf given the impressions in the demo thread.

Demo thread was probably 50/50 really. It looks to be fairly cheap disposable entertainment so it will probably review fine as long as they look past the framerate. Most reviewers like mashing their way through games anyway so the awful combat will probably work just fine for them.

The igavania crowd has been very vocal in their dislike of the game so it will be interesting to see if the LoS crowd can pick up the slack in regards to sales.

Thoraxes

I've heard the full game is better technically, so this thread should prove informative in my purchasing decision.

bounchfx

oh man, didn't realize it was coming out so soon. Loved all the other handheld CV's but kept this off my radar since it was based off LoS :\. Will wait for reviews, though I do have faith in mercurysteam, I'm just disappointed it wont be another igavania

hipgnosis

I'm a huge Castlevania fan and I found the demo just horrible. Everything I love about the series was missing in this game. It's a shame that this is the new direction for the series.

Won't be buying this one.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
My snap judgment based on almost no information and a couple minutes of footage from the demo thread is that the combat looks tedious. The mermen take too many hits while at the same time not doing anything particularly interesting to fight you.

Is there a combat system here that translates skill into faster victories?

nikatapi

I played the demo and i found it better than expected. It looks very impressive with full 3D, and the framerate is not annoying given the pace of the game (if the demo is indicative of the game's pacing of course).

Very tempted to buy this game, although i'm not sure if it's worth it to get it full price, i'll wait for some impressions first.

kunonabi

My snap judgment based on almost no information and a couple minutes of footage from the OP is that the combat looks tedious. The mermen take too many hits while at the same time not doing anything particularly interesting to fight you.

Is there a combat system here that translates skill into faster victories?

There are a couple moves to guard break with and juggles to kill things quicker but not really. The vast majority of your attacks can be canceled into your defensive options at any time so you can basically just mash buttons until you see the painfully telegraphed attacks and react accordingly. It's a button masher's dream to be quite honest.

m0t0k1

I was quit surprised by the demo it was not as bad as i thought it would be. Probably will get it once it goes cheap. Too bad Iga is not making them anymore wonder what happened to him.

Any recent gameplay videos? The ones before showed it in a terrible state.

Go to youtube and search on Mirror of Fate and have it search today only. There's a guy playing through it all and recording it in chunks. Looks fun, and he's having fun playing it.

Good review. Makes me want it more. They're not fans of QTEs or the monetization of everything in the game, but they love how differently each character plays, and all the varied routes through the environments.

Marche90

Oh, wow at that OT.

Well, it's not like somebody else was interested to do it.

Anyway, I wonder if the whole game will hold up well or it will end up falling apart mid-game. I'm still on the fence about buying it, since the demo was surprisingly fun once you get past the framerate issues.

Berordn

I really wanted to like this one, but after the demo I'm probably going to pass since there's so much coming out for 3DS this year.

The combat's just terrible and only seems to exist as an excuse to make you fight throwaway enemies longer, there's falling damage, the framerate... Maybe the rest of the game picks up the slack but I'll wait and see at this point.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT| This Thread Runs At Better FPS Than The Game

Thoraxes

Oh, wow at that OT.

Anyway, I wonder if the whole game will hold up well or it will end up falling apart mid-game. I'm still on the fence about buying it, since the demo was surprisingly fun once you get past the framerate issues.

I'm thinking this game is going to be one of those games i'll pass on for now, only to pick it up in some random "B2G1 Free" deal months down the line because I won't be able to think of a third title.

Grisby

Nice. This and Lara on tuesday is going to be great. The 3D in this was blowing my mind.
Oh, wow at that OT.

I was thinking about doing one tomorrow if no one had put one up today. However, since I lack any real sense of photoshop or anything to do with creative art it probably would have looked like this.

YourMaster

I loved the DS games, tried the demo, couldn't finish it. Really disliked it.

Didn't like the way your character controls, didn't like the combat at all, and don't like the visuals.

Also, does anyone remember how long the GBA or DS MetroVania games were? I think Portrait of Ruin was pretty short, but I forgot how long Dawn of Sorrow or Ecclesia was. Just asking because I wanted to compare those to this new one.

I heard a French reviewer has beat the game in 8 to 9 hours. He completed 88% of the game.

Okay, thanks. I did read a article about a Spanish magazine that also mentioned 9 hrs, but I just wanted a second review on it.

They loved the exploration (finding new paths through the same places), but I see no mention of time. They do say that it's a lot of fun to replay though.
Sounds good. I know it's not MetroVania but seeing that it has exploration is reassuring.

Foffy

Banned
The OP is perfect. Hope you all enjoy the predictable plotline and handholding like the first game. I'm actually scared on if I want to play the final game or not..

Top Bottom