• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate |OT|

Miker

Also, does anyone remember how long the GBA or DS MetroVania games were? I think Portrait of Ruin was pretty short, but I forgot how long Dawn of Sorrow or Ecclesia was. Just asking because I wanted to compare those to this new one.

I think they were ~10 hours to finish, maybe ~15 to 100% souls/glyphs in DoS and OoE. I didn't finish PoR though, because it was bland and I hated the subweapon system.

Does the German review mention game length or exploration? Very curious to know.

Re: length:
The promise that the campaign in Castlevania - Mirror of Fate would take about 16 hours to complete, without having already seen every little thing (see the aforementioned interview with Dave Cox ) is not met, we were after almost eleven hours through and would be referred to 16 hours rather than fix ceiling for players who really want to discover all the secrets. Or who do not have much experience with handheld action Adcentures. Nevertheless, we did not feel that the game is too short, or even more time would have been needed in order to clarify questions. Everything good the way it is!

Ridley327

I think they were ~10 hours to finish, maybe ~15 to 100% souls/glyphs in DoS and OoE. I didn't finish PoR though, because it was bland and I hated the subweapon system.

PoR is about the same length. Where each of those games shined, though, was the sheer amount of unlockable modes, which added a lot of bang for your buck. I'm not sure if this game is supposed to have a similar amount of content in that regard, but it would certainly be appreciated.

true Gek

I'm playing the entire game (review code) and it's a very good game. It's different from the Metroidvanias and the backtraking is not required in the story, it is confined to the secrets and collectable elements.

And yes, the framerate is horrible!

EDIT: For the length I'm at the 33% (i've collected all the items of the first part of the game) and 4 hours.

Rahul

The OP is perfect. Hope you all enjoy the predictable plotline and handholding like the first game. I'm actually scared on if I want to play the final game or not..

The first game had a predictable plot? I thought the surprise
Satan reveal, Gabriel=Dracula and modern-day post-ending
were pretty unpredictable, tbh

Picked this up from a store here in the Philippines that apparently didn't give a damn about release dates. I initially didn't like the demo because of the frame rate. The problem is still there, but I'm having more fun than I thought I would. It does help that I'm a fan of the first LOS game. This has the same vibe I liked about that game.

depward

First time playing the demo = "this is horrible!"

Second time playing the demo = "OK, this isn't as bad as I thought..."

Third time playing the demo = "I think I'll pick this up..."

I feel like this game is more-or-less what the PSP / PSVita angle is: a handheld experience that is trying to mimic the HD console gaming experience. It's not trying to be like the DS Castlevania games; it's instead a boiled-down "HD console" experience in 3DS form.

Game didn't run that well but there were some fun parts in it.

Derrick01

Banned
Shame that it seems to come out really poorly as I was looking forward to it. I loved Lords of Shadow and was even more interested when it was confirmed it wasn't Igavania #38.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
already preordered. I found LOS to be a really fun game and this one seems like a portable version of that game, which is absolutely fine. I didn't notice nasty framerate drops and gameplay is solid enough. Hopefully the music is a lot more memorable than the insipid theme in the demo, it would be a real shame to not have a good ost, expecially for a Castlevania

that said, I can't wait. Looks like a solid action game and the 3DS needs more of them

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Keep Igarashi away too. First one was fine but they all felt the same after that.

Give Castlevania the Contra Rebirth treatment. I want my old school Castlevania with ambiguous hints and not obsession with RPG mechanics(yes, I know they existed before SOTN, but they got ridiculous after that)

Foffy

Banned
The first game had a predictable plot? I thought the surprise
Satan reveal, Gabriel=Dracula and modern-day post-ending
were pretty unpredictable, tbh

The first bit, surely. The second thing? I feared for that, big time. I felt like doing something like that would be the most predictable cop-out for a story idea. And that was the big twist..

Ricker

I kinda liked the demo although I couldn't beat it but I have too many 3DS games on my plate for now(Fire Emblem,EO4 and Crimson Shroud)...I will pick it up at some point,loved the 3D in it for one...

Playing demo right now. Really not noticing any framerate issues. Very impressed by the gameplay, the graphics, and presentation using the 3D.

I was a huge LOS fanboy, so maybe that has tainted my view on this game?

Got this game arriving tuesday for 19 bucks so i am double thrilled :D (love you tsilon.ca!)

PS: I like fall damage. Gives some challenge and timing execution to climbing.

Ridley327

Playing demo right now. Really not noticing any framerate issues. Very impressed by the gameplay, the graphics, and presentation using the 3D.

I was a huge LOS fanboy, so maybe that has tainted my view on this game?

Got this game arriving tuesday for 19 bucks so i am double thrilled :D (love you tsilon.ca!)

If you can't notice the very obvious framerate problems, then yes, I would say that being a huge LOS fanboy might be slightly obfusticating obvious issues for you.

I'm still holding out some hope that this game doesn't end up sucking, the demo didn't really send me heading in either direction, LoS style isn't my favourite but seeing as I made it through that i'm hoping that the idea of improving upon that game extends not only to its direct sequel but to this game as well.
Plus surely there can't be any of those pretty poor Titan bosses in this one so that's a plus right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you can't notice the very obvious framerate problems, then yes, I would say that being a huge LOS fanboy might be slightly obfusticating obvious issues for you.

I definitely noticed it at the start, but it stopped bugging me throughout the rest of the demo. And I did not care much for LoS. Which is not to say that I excuse this. Just that I adjusted to it quickly, though I couldn't for say AC3.

kunonabi

The first bit, surely. The second thing? I feared for that, big time. I felt like doing something like that would be the most predictable cop-out for a story idea. And that was the big twist..

the second was pretty obvious from the stewart narration. it just was reflected anywhere else.
not that it matters since the dlc crapped all over the gabriel's character arc anyway

Foffy

Banned
the second was pretty obvious from the stewart narration. it just was reflected anywhere else.
not that it matters since the dlc crapped all over the gabriel's character arc anyway

Something very similar happens here, too.
If you have the cognitive capability to look at the playable characters and make the most predictable guess as to what happens in the game, I promise you it does.

Besides the framerate being an issue. :p

Something very similar happens here, too.
If you have the cognitive capability to look at the playable characters and make the most predictable guess as to what happens in the game, I promise you it does.

Besides the framerate being an issue. :p

So,
Trevor is Alucard?
. Widely rumored/speculated since the game was first announced.

BooJoh

I've decided to pick this up with the viewpoint that "this Castlevania is better than no Castlevania" despite it feeling nothing like a Castlevania to me.

I played the demo of this before starting LoS (which I already owned,) and yesterday started LoS. This game is actually very very similar to LoS, the combat is near-identical, and both are just about as linear (We're talking FFXIII linear.)

Veering very slightly OT, can anyone who's played the first LoS tell me about how long it'll take me to get through it on Easy if I want to try to finish it before diving into this? (which I assume spoils the story about as much as the LoS2 trailer did.)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I've decided to pick this up with the viewpoint that "this Castlevania is better than no Castlevania" despite it feeling nothing like a Castlevania to me.

I played the demo of this before starting LoS (which I already owned,) and yesterday started LoS. This game is actually very very similar to LoS, the combat is near-identical, and both are just about as linear (We're talking FFXIII linear.)

Veering very slightly OT, can anyone who's played the first LoS tell me about how long it'll take me to get through it on Easy if I want to try to finish it before diving into this? (which I assume spoils the story about as much as the LoS2 trailer did.)

never played on Easy, but it took me 26 hours to finish, not counting repeated as heck boss fights like Cordell the goddamned werewolf master. It's a surprisingly lenghty and varied game

If you plan on going thru LoS without backtracking once youve unlocked powers/skills and playing on easy... maybe 8-10 hours max? It took me over 20+ hours to finish with backtracking and on hard mode.

I do disagree about the linearity comparison to FF13. Some of the levels in LoS have some branching paths and hidden passageways. Don't think FF13 ever did ;)

OmegaZero

I'm playing the entire game (review code) and it's a very good game. It's different from the Metroidvanias and the backtraking is not required in the story, it is confined to the secrets and collectable elements.

EDIT: For the length I'm at the 33% (i've collected all the items of the first part of the game) and 4 hours.

:(

Ah well, I'll wait for more GAFfer impressions before picking this up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Would have probably done better in January when it didn't have to compete with Luigi's Mansion and Monster Hunter.

DaBoss

I don't think this game is for me, though the combat was a bit satisfying, but not good. The demo made it seem like it is going to be a fairly simple game.

Is it common? The demo had it dip regularly and I did not like that.

It's good to know that I'll be able to throw it in my backpack and not cause myself much back strain. The game's weight should be featured prominently in the OT

Keep Igarashi away too. First one was fine but they all felt the same after that.

Give Castlevania the Contra Rebirth treatment. I want my old school Castlevania with ambiguous hints and not obsession with RPG mechanics(yes, I know they existed before SOTN, but they got ridiculous after that)

Like Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth?

This is a rather more boring OT title than the suggestions in the demo impressions thread :p
But great thread. I am looking forward to this game, it feels like a competent 2D action game to me.

Ah thats good.

kunonabi

I don't even know how you could spin that; Alucard looks exactly like Trevor!

They shouldn't have copped to Trevor being his son in the first place. As soon as that tidbit comes out your mind immediately makes that connection.

You should have asked me to do the OT if you were going to do such a crappy job with it. I'm really excited to play this game, even if it's not an Igavania.

lupinko

The demo is pretty janky, and I like mercurysteams art direction too. It just sucks that they don't put emphasis on frame rate.

kunonabi

You should have asked me to do the OT if you were going to do such a crappy job with it. I'm really excited to play this game, even if it's not an Igavania.

It was done out of pity. If you guys wanted a fleshed out one you should have spoken up.

BowieZ

Banned
So the demo was linear but is there more exploratory nonlinearity in the harder parts of the final game?

Top Bottom