• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Renewed for Second Season on Netflix, Episodes Doubled

120v

i found this whole setup very bizarre... four 25 minute episodes? in the streaming age?

but whatever. just glad this is a thing as is

VariantX

I didn't expect to watch all 4 episodes in one sitting, but damn I'm hooked. Now the wait for season 2 begins. A stone coffin would be very convenient to have.

Conezays

Went in with low expectations as a Castlevania fan and came away pleasantly surprised; looking forward to the next season.

It was a good way of introducing the characters from a game that had little story then again idk if any other game expanded the into story of 3.

JoeInky

It was okay, got me in the mood for playing some Classicvania atleast.

I'd love Konami to make some sort of Megaman-9-esque "Castlevania V", with CV3 style sprites and a load of levels with branching paths. Stuff like Blaster Master Zero has been doing well, give us something like that if they're too afraid to make a big budget castlevania.

Only watched the first ep so far but I enjoyed what I've seen

Weird that to me, Netflix was kinda hiding this on their dashboard, there is no promotion like they usually do for their stuff and I had to type in full Castlevania to find it.
You and me both. And scrolled all the way I the right in the "Recently added", "Trending", and "featured" and I didn't find it.

If anything it's consistent with how Konami promotes new entries in their more niche franchises right? Remember Xblade 2 and that's PSP Silent Hill game they wouldn't let Jim Steeling interview one of its developers?

Captain Fun

Neo Member
I really enjoyed it. Violence was a little over the top, but I enjoyed the action and fight scenes a lot. I like this take on Trevor.

BriGuy

It's pretty good, way better than Konami deserves at least. They really pull no punches with the violence or language either.

It's hard to believe it's been 27 years since Castlevania 3.

bionic77

Awesome ass show.

But also sucks because it really made me want a new AAA 2D castelvania with amazing production values. :(

Expected nothing and really loved it. I wish there were twice as many episodes. Which is terrific since that's season two!

I hope the wait isn't that long.

Loxley

Just finished it and really enjoyed it. As a whole it definitely felt like a four-part pilot episode to gauge interest for a longer series, glad to see we're getting it.

This also makes me excited for the Assassin's Creed series we're getting, since it's from the same exec producer.

ToonLink

Just finished watching season 1. I thought it was exciting and surprisingly funny at times. I really enjoyed every episode. Can't wait for season 2.

HvHSYZ5.jpg

Castlevania debuts today on Netflix, but a second season has already been ordered.

They're also doubling the episodes -- Season two will contain eight episodes instead of four. Seems like they really believe in this series already.

Did a search just now and didn't see anything. Feed me some garlic if this is old or belongs in another section.
If only Konami felt the same way.

I'll have to watch this later.

It was okay, got me in the mood for playing some Classicvania atleast.

I'd love Konami to make some sort of Megaman-9-esque "Castlevania V", with CV3 style sprites and a load of levels with branching paths. Stuff like Blaster Master Zero has been doing well, give us something like that if they're too afraid to make a big budget castlevania.

It didn't have CV3 style sprites but Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth on WiiWare was a great throwback game.

As people already mentioned, this isn't exactly news as the original announcement was for season 1 and 2. Warren Ellis already wrote S2 and has far as I know, they have started work on S2 a few months ago.

@MUWANdo

Banned

You should check out Brave Earth Prologue--it's not done yet but it's nearing completion and is very CV3-inspired: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=650786800

Teknoman

That showdown was badass. I dug the first season. Just wished "Vampire Killer" or "Bloody Tears" played.

They cranked these episodes out pretty quickly too. Here's hoping season two shows up early

This exactly. If either kicked in, would've been amazing. Dance of Illusions when Drac got pissed would've been nice.

Only had time to watch three episodes before responsibilities pulled me away. Didn't realize it was only 4 eps. So far I'd say it's not great but it's also not awful. I don't feel like my time was wasted and will finish the season later today. The biggest issue I've had is the sound is super quiet but it may just be the TV I was watching it on as I'd never used the built-in Netflix app before. So I won't hold it against it unless it is a problem with the show itself.

ByWatterson

So... Is this the first genuinely good screen adaptation of any video game.... EVER?

Pretty sure it is. Any I'm forgetting? Silent Hill is the closest I can think of, and it was still preehh bad.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So... Is this the first genuinely good screen adaptation of any video game.... EVER?

Pretty sure it is. Any I'm forgetting? Silent Hill is the closest I can think of, and it was still preehh bad.

Mortal Kombat!

The recent Street Fighter webseries was also pretty good.

Ancirawr

Well shit I guess I have to make time for this tomorrow with my roommates. I honestly wasn't sold just based on the trailer. Seeing some glowing praise though. Neat.

You must be new, there are a lot of animated adaptions of video games that are good.

Do we still hate Konami tho

I never hated Konami. I stopped buying their games simply because the type of games they make have evolved to match modern trends in gaming and that doesn't gel with the types of games that I'm interested in. When I think Konami, I think about Contra, Castlevania, Rocket Knight, Gradius, and Goemon. They could never make another game and they'd still be one of my all time favorite game developers.

This show is pretty rad, tho.

Xe4

Banned
Deserved. The first season was great. I'm stoked to see what they can do with double the length and the prologue completed.

Question for the Castlevania experts (I've only played through Lords of Shadow). Does the show follow the actual game lore? I had never got the impression Dracula used science for his powers.

Top Bottom