• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Renewed for Second Season on Netflix, Episodes Doubled

Question for the Castlevania experts (I've only played through Lords of Shadow). Does the show follow the actual game lore? I had never got the impression Dracula used science for his powers.

The 'lab' level became pretty standard in the later games. Every bit of sciency equipment they showed could have been lifted straight out of one of those levels.

I mean, the games never explicitly spelled out 'Dracula is an incredible scientist', but it stands to reason if he had the lab, he'd know how to use it.

However, I don't think he gets his powers from science - He's just centuries old and brutally smart, so he knows WAY more than anyone else around. His powers are all supernatural, the demons are actually from hell, Drac just also has a functioning understanding of chemistry and physics centuries beyond the understanding of the rest of the world.

So... Is this the first genuinely good screen adaptation of any video game.... EVER?

Pretty sure it is. Any I'm forgetting? Silent Hill is the closest I can think of, and it was still preehh bad.

Earthworm Jim is the best. I still think it's funny today. It's on the same level as other offbeat superhero comedies as The Tick or Freakazoid!.

Thanks for the answers. I would have assumed the lab levels were just those of a Frankenstein-esque minion of his rather than his own work space.

Ananaz

It wasn't "renewed" really, it was announced as two seasons (although the producers are calling it Part 1 and Part 2) from the start. I think the reason first season is only four episodes is because the show is based on the animated movie project that was in the works over a decade ago. It was originally going to be three 80 minute long direct-to-DVD movies, and Warren Ellis had already finished writing the first movie, but since it never got made he probably didn't start working on the latter scripts until the Netflix deal happened. So the first season covers the first movie and the second will cover the rest.

Now, it'll be interesting to see if they decide to continue the show after the second season.

Question for the Castlevania experts (I've only played through Lords of Shadow). Does the show follow the actual game lore? I had never got the impression Dracula used science for his powers.

As others have said, it's a retelling of the events of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. But, when project was first in it's early stage (as a movie), IGA met with Warren Ellis to go over details regarding CV lore. IGA's Dracula was an not only a sorcerer, but a brilliant alchemist (and originator of the "Devil Forging" techniques seen in the PS2 game, Curse of Darkness). And if you take Lament of Innocence (IGA's origin tale of the Belmonts and Dracula) into consideration, Dracula's origins are a result OF skilled alchemy (and what he created from it).

bigninja

I really enjoyed it! The
Alucard
reveal and fight had me cheering!

That said, there are a few things they can improve.

-dialogue/writing
It was repetitive and awkward some of the time. Conversations didn't always "flow". Trevor's internal monologue and dramatic speeches could have been better.

-fight animations
Some were great, others were clunky and stilted. There's a lot of tricks and techniques they could have used to make things more dynamic and exciting. It's almost like they were trying really hard not to be anime, and in doing so, neutered themselves from using really dramatic techniques to help communicate the intensity and peril of battle.

-TVMA
It's got the swears. It's got the gore. It's missing the sex. This could be an animated GoT. It was missing this character/story/relationship solidifying facet. The conception of
Alucard
would have been a great device to illustrate the intense connection between
Drac and Lisa

-fan service
No, not bouncing boobs or panty shots. I'm talking about nods to Castlevania lore, equipment, monsters, characters and music. This show needs more. I wanted to hear an updated Castlevania III boss battle theme in the background as Trevor
faces the cyclops
. Point is, use the source material in smart ways to give fans that extra pang of emotion.

-the fucking collapsing floors
Holy shit, how many times did the floors collapse under the protagonists? 7? 8? This overused crutch to propel the characters forward was laughable after the 3rd or 4th time.

That said, it's a great start. I can't wait for season 2.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Good, because I was really disappointed that there was only 4 episodes. The story was just getting good! What the heck....

Neoxon

Oh good, I was kinda cock-teased by the way Episode 4 ended. Thank god they didn't waste any time confirming more episodes.

Bring on Season 2!

Earthworm Jim is the best. I still think it's funny today. It's on the same level as other offbeat superhero comedies as The Tick or Freakazoid!.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Page 4 has been tilting negative, so I'll say as someone who loves the series and for whom SOTN may still be my favorite video game, it tilts heavily in the Castlevania 3/SOTN directions, I've watched an episode, and so far, it's everything that it should be, it needs more of the classic music, it's very good.
It's better than Captain N
...I actually liked Captain N
...I watched Captain N religiously

Opa-Pa

Thanks for the answers. I would have assumed the lab levels were just those of a Frankenstein-esque minion of his rather than his own work space.

It was already answered but while the game is based on a NES game with not much lore, they're cleverly adding stuff from other games to create a new interpretation of the events in it. I love it.

Like, Alucard is simply a playable character in Castlevania III, but they went the extra mile and made sure to add the Lisa and Dracula backstory that's revealed/hinted in Symphony of The Night, a PS1 game.

Brashnir

Its a necessery set up

okp66FD.gif

-dialogue/writing
It was repetitive and awkward some of the time. Conversations didn't always "flow". Trevor's internal monologue and dramatic speeches could have been better.

-the fucking collapsing floors
Holy shit, how many times did the floors collapse under the protagonists? 7? 8? This overused crutch to propel the characters forward was laughable after the 3rd or 4th time.

Yeah, these two things stops it to me. The dialog is bad. It is not descriptive and it goes on too long. Even after listening to Belmont blather on, I don't understand his motivations. They made Dracula seem sympathetic. They hint at moral complexity, hammering religious fanaticism, and duty, but none of it ever lands in an impactful way. It just feels really shallow.

But it was the falling through floors that really pushed it over the edge for me. Why would they do that? It's like they only had three episodes a done before the deadline and they just said, "screw it, add 20 minutes of falling through floors and call it a day." It defies reason. How are there 50 floors of rickety ceiling hiding under the city?

Other than that, I thought the combat and magic effects were great. I will watch next season just for that.

plushyp

-TVMA
It's got the swears. It's got the gore. It's missing the sex. This could be an animated GoT. It was missing this character/story/relationship solidifying facet. The conception of
Alucard
would have been a great device to illustrate the intense connection between
Drac and Lisa

-fan service
No, not bouncing boobs or panty shots. I'm talking about nods to Castlevania lore, equipment, monsters, characters and music. This show needs more. I wanted to hear an updated Castlevania III boss battle theme in the background as Trevor
faces the cyclops
. Point is, use the source material in smart ways to give fans that extra pang of emotion.
This is conflicting you know since you want more nods to the game series but then ask for something was never in the series. The series definitely doesn't need any sex and the game series never had any in it either. More than that, it was always about the gore and violence. A Belmont clan member defeating Dracula every time he is resurrected.

Stiler

So... Is this the first genuinely good screen adaptation of any video game.... EVER?

Pretty sure it is. Any I'm forgetting? Silent Hill is the closest I can think of, and it was still preehh bad.

Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie
Mortal Kombat
The more recent Mortal Kombat web series, Mortal Kombat: Legacy, was pretty neat too.

B_Signal

It's not bad, it reminds me of late 80s early 90s anime, but Trevor is awful. The poor writing isn't his fault, but the delivery is. Shame, but Dracula and Alucard are both good

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
This is conflicting you know since you want more nods to the game series but then ask for something was never in the series. The series definitely doesn't need any sex and the game series never had any in it either. More than that, it was always about the gore and violence. A Belmont clan member defeating Dracula every time he is resurrected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ewqYamvkAE

EROTIC VIOLENCE.

StoneFox

9/10

Amazing adaptation, especially for a video game. Lost a point for not having any classic Castlevania tunes during the fight scenes. :p

I hope this series gets as many seasons as it needs to adapt all the way to Soma Cruz and the war of 1999.
Please :'(

bigninja

whynotboth.gif

I don't agree it's a conflict. We can have the story and the content evolve into more mature realms while our appreciation and connection to the source material is recognized and nuanced throughout. This was an attempt at a grown-up Castlevania story. To me, it feels like they got halfway there.

They leveled-up the gore beyond any iteration of Castlevania. They leveled-up the language. They dipped their toe in "mature". This is undeniable. But they stopped short of evolving the storyline into something truly mature with believable relationships and deep-seated motivations.

Again, I liked it. It could have been better.

Top Bottom