• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt: Worth $1 billion, 100 devs on Gwent, GOG Galaxy as uPlay?, more

boskee

Something, something about pirating being bad for the industry. They somehow went from being viewed as a scourge on the industry, to heroes within it. Hmm...

To be fair they were pirates in the current sense of the word. Back then there was no copyright law in Poland, so everything they did was completely legal and we're talking about activity from over 20 years ago anyway.

Drazgul

It really is incredible how they've managed the growth and quality improvement of their company. Should go out as a message to other publishers to cultivate and build up a brand rather than expecting a mega-hit put the gate.

Publishers: But we want the profits noooow!

deadstar72

Neo Member
Well deserved, GOG.com and the witches series are both amazing achievements. Hope they have continued success with cyberpunk

boskee

OP updated with some other interesting information.

- GOG Galaxy is working for CDPR: they have sold more addons to the Witcher 3 than the main game itself last year.

- Galaxy will be used for online features in CDPR games going forward. Gwent will be powered by Galaxy (which has built in cross-play support).

- Most of the revenue generated by the Witcher 3 addons was included in Q1 report.

- Game development spending amounts to around $7.5 million per quarter.

- CDPR wants to prepare Gwent for e-sports market.

- 100 developers work on Gwent, including the entire marketing team.

- No plans for mobile Gwent at this stage, although "CDPR like mobile"

- Final release expected few months after the start of the closed beta.

Xav

Never played a CDPR game but I'm happy for their success. Shows that you can be successful without fucking over your fans.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Well deserved, imo. Congratulations to everyone at CDPR!

I never played the first Witcher, but Assassins of Kings is a very good game and Wild Hunt is simply brilliant. They're on a roll. Can't wait to see how Cyberpunk turns out.

Wow. Well deserved.
Currently on my first playthrough of the Witcher on ps4 and I keep being blown away.

I constantly think "How does this game look so much better than everything else I own, AND do so much more?!"

BLKTMNT

I just finished Witcher 3 and all the DLC this past Friday. It is hands down my favorite game right now. I cant wait to see what is next for them in the Open world RPGS realm.

If it is anything as in depth as WC3 then i know it will be good.

sflufan

Banned
To clear up a misconception, all this means is that CDPR's outstanding stock value is $1 billion and that changes during every day of trading and with the fluctuations in the dollar/zloty exchange rate.

It does NOT mean that CDPR has $1 billion lying around to fund Cyberpunk 2077.

eerik9000

To clear up a misconception, all this means is that CDPR's outstanding stock value is $1 billion and that changes during every day of trading and with the fluctuations in the dollar/zloty exchange rate.

It does NOT mean that CDPR has $1 billion lying around to fund Cyberpunk 2077.

To clear up a misconcepton, CD Projekt Red is a video game development division within CD Projekt.

OP updated with some other interesting information.

- GOG Galaxy is working for CDPR: they have sold more addons to the Witcher 3 than the main game itself last year.

- Galaxy will be used for online features in CDPR games going forward. Gwent will be powered by Galaxy (which has built in cross-play support).

- Most of the revenue generated by the Witcher 3 addons was included in Q1 report.

- Game development spending amounts to around $7.5 million per quarter.

- CDPR wants to prepare Gwent for e-sports market.

- 100 developers work on Gwent, including the entire marketing team.

- No plans for mobile Gwent at this stage, although "CDPR like mobile"

- Final release expected few months after the start of the closed beta.

There was someone on GAF recently prophecizing that CDPR's goal was Valves trajectory. Its becoming more believable.

fvng

Started from the bottom now we here.

This is their whole booth at E3 2004, with one PC with a prototype of The Witcher 1.

cd-projekt-red-e3-2004.jpg

Amazing

Recall

One big benefit of being based in Poland is a much lower living cost and thus lower wages. Honestly surprised more studios aren't moving to that part of the world.

Or have they not been paying their staff reasonably for that part of the world?

Living costs in Poland are not low.

If you live and work in Poland and earn a wage, the price of most basic goods in comparison to the value of what you earn is insanely high.

Converting currency from say pound sterling into polish currency, nets you a lot but actually living there and earning there is different.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. CDPR has become the third best developer in my opinion, only behind Naughty Dog and Rockstar. If Cyberpunk 2077 turns out to be equal or better than The Witcher III, I might have to move them up to number one. The quality is simply outstanding and top notch. The Witcher III is my own personal highest rated game of all time at an amazing 9.8/10. The two expansions are by far the best ever and make the majority of actual games look like crap in comparison. As long as CDPR never sells out, they will always be awesome.

Rhoc

Well deserved but can the 100 people that are working on Gwent start working on Cyberpunk 2077. I need this game in the near future and not in 4-5 years.

Ultimadrago

I just hope they can keep up the good work. It wouldn't be a first for a developer with good cred to come tumbling down. That said, their latest project and steps have been a victory. Reign today's laurel, people!

iNvid02

Iwinski has said there has been a steady line of offers but they want to remain independent. Good interview with him here about it where he talks about how when the studio was in deep financial trouble years ago no one wanted to help them, so now they're more successful he feels it was a good lesson.

He also touches on a number of things related to that such as the difficultly in including even simple things in the physical copies like the CDPR thank you letter, something they couldn't do in the past to to publisher disagreements.

Absolutely deserved success.

fuckin A, its small things like the thank you letter and replying to every email they receive but it goes a long way. oh and their games are really good, i guess that helps.. a bit.

They deserve it and are a model how to support a game post launch and best value for expansions! Easily now my favorite large game company.

BumRush

Good for them. W3 was the first CDPR game I've ever played and I will buy whatever they do next, without question. An obscene amount of content and love in one game

Realeza

Banned
This is awesome news. They deserve all the success they can get for their practices and releasing a GOAT caliber game.

Top Bottom