• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt: Worth $1 billion, 100 devs on Gwent, GOG Galaxy as uPlay?, more

JustinBB7

Happy for their success, fucking love the witcher series.

However this kinda worries me: - Galaxy will be used for online features in CDPR games going forward. Gwent will be powered by Galaxy (which has built in cross-play support).

I don't want another client, hopefully it will just be on Steam and just be build in powered by, not launched by.

frontovik

Banned
Well deserved. I hope they remain independent and continue to make great games. #1 developer for me, alongside Paradox & Valve.

Sjefen

I hope other companies take notice, if you treat your consumers right and make great games, you will be awarded in the end. Never change CD Projekt and you will have a loyal customer base for many years. Well deserved

Venom Fox

Banned
Hopefully this means they ramp up production for Cyberpunk and have it out the door rather quickly.

Do you guys reckon we will get another trailer this year or do you think they'll hold off until E3 2017?

Tovarisc

Hopefully this means they ramp up production for Cyberpunk and have it out the door rather quickly.

Do you guys reckon we will get another trailer this year or do you think they'll hold off until E3 2017?

They have been in hiring spree for CP2077 team, definitely ramping up. Almost weekly they tweet out about open positions. They even were looking for designer to do vehicle stuff [modeling, animations, physics models...] for air and ground vehicles. Still wouldn't expect anything before 2017. They just got off from TW3 and GWENT is their next bigger push.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Bravo. They deserve every cent. One of the best games ever made.

Can't wait to see how mind blowing Cyberpunk should be now. They have so much more power to output an amazing title, and by that time, NEO and Scorpio will be well into their lifespans, and PC's will be a couple gens beyond the beasts we have now.

Amazing times ahead.

Venom Fox

Banned
They have been in hiring spree for CP2077 team, definitely ramping up. Almost weekly they tweet out about open positions. They even were looking for designer to do vehicle stuff [modeling, animations, physics models...] for air and ground vehicles.
Oh really!? Thanks Tovarisc! And wtf? Is it likely we will get vehicles? Shit my Hyper levels just jumped right up. Fuck this game is going to be huge. Fuck.

- Game development spending amounts to around $7.5 million per quarter.

- CDPR wants to prepare Gwent for e-sports market.

Couldn't be happier for CDPR, but I'd really rather they didn't follow the standard publisher model of shoving their entire head into a toilet and then trying to breathe through their anus this early in their successful business period.

boskee

Oh really!? Thanks Tovarisc! And wtf? Is it likely we will get vehicles? Shit my Hyper levels just jumped right up. Fuck this game is going to be huge. Fuck.

job description clearly states both ground and flying vehicles

3oEjHPxEecCMjPHHR6.gif

Stiler

i remember first seeing videos of the Witcher 1 on Bioware's aurora engine, the detail they had for the time i thought was amazing, especially when they showed a time lapse video showing the time of day passing.

Going from there to here has been amazing and I hope they keep doing what they do and don't let shareholders or people come in and turn the company away from it's customer focus to profit at any cost style that most companies with shareholders tend to shift toward.

novabolt

I wonder how many companies have tried to acquire them? You can't let one of the best RPG companies to come and eat off your plate.

dacalo

They deserve the success with their incredible production value and games. The Witcher 3 and the DLC's were just incredible. They have my money for sure on all their future releases.

Wagram

It's awesome that CDPR is taking Gwent so seriously. Just a mini game that people begged wanted as a standalone and they're going so above and beyond with it.

Damn, no platform split huh.

Good for them, too bad Geralts adventure has ended

Geralt is getting many more 10hr single player campaigns in Gwent. Fully voice acted and everything :)

Tovarisc

I am still amazed they huge just as they released their final witcher game.

I think they should make a Withcher 4 game

They said this is end of Geralts story, but not necessary end of Witcher games ;) For now they want focus on other stuff after spending years with him [Gwent, CP2077 etc.]

I wonder how many companies have tried to acquire them? You can't let one of the best RPG companies to come and eat off your plate.

I guess at least your normal suspects have made offers. EA, Activision, Zenimax and maybe MS too.

gypsygib

Free DLC and paid DLC that's the quality of full priced game for a 3rd of the cost to the consumer can equal massive profit.

EA, Ubisoft, and Activision take note.

Edit: Forgot to mention that having a fleshed out SP story with mature themes, meaningful side quests, and developed characters can make money too. Again, Pop-publishers take note pls.

Congratz CDPR! 100 people working on gwent is exciting to me. They will hopefully add more depth to the game.
Also can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077!

boskee

It's also worth noting that all the Gwent dev happens in their main studio in Warsaw, while the bulk of Cyberpunk 2077 dev is done in their Cracow office. They are also on a hiring spree - 104 job offers on their website.

They are recruiting for positions such as Sandbox Designer, Exploration Designer,

Tovarisc

Congratz CDPR! 100 people working on gwent is exciting to me. They will hopefully add more depth to the game.

Kinda surprised they have so many bodies on it. Isn't team for Hearthstone something like 30-40? I guess CDPR really wants Gwent out of the door so they can move bodies to CP2077 team.

novabolt

I guess at least your normal suspects have made offers. EA, Activision, Zenimax and maybe MS too.

Yeah, I would be surprised if MS or Sony didn't hint at a possible buy out, they would fit well with either one.

I tried to buy them but they wouldn't accept my offer of £20/$25. :(

Venom Fox

Banned
Aren't CDPR a team of 250 as of March 2016? They've been on regular hiring sprees so let's say they've hired 20 more people which leaves us with 100 on Gwent? And 100 on Cyberpunk and the other 80 on the other AAA game they've said there working on for a release before 2021.

I feel like there'd only be about 40 on the other game if it's in concept stages so 140 on Cyberpunk with the 100 from Gwent ready to move over soon?

Wagram

Kinda surprised they have so many bodies on it. Isn't team for Hearthstone something like 30-40? I guess CDPR really wants Gwent out of the door so they can move bodies to CP2077 team.

I don't think "out the door" is accurate considering they're planning long term support in the form of 10 hour single player expansions and totally new decks. CDPR has a lot of people so I imagine there's cross over between the two project. In addition, there's likely many talent solely focused on 2077.

Venom Fox

Banned
I don't think "out the door" is accurate considering they're planning long term support in the form of 10 hour single player expansions and totally new decks. CDPR has a lot of people so I imagine there's cross over between the two project. In addition, there's likely many talent solely focused on 2077.
They'd probably keep a team of 30 ish people to work on updates then? Majority going to Cyberpunk and keep a team of 40 for the concept of the other game?

boskee

Aren't CDPR a team of 250 as of March 2016? They've been on regular hiring sprees so let's say they've hired 20 more people which leaves us with 100 on Gwent? And 100 on Cyberpunk and the other 80 on the other AAA game they've said there working on for a release before 2021.

I feel like there'd only be about 40 on the other game if it's in concept stages so 140 on Cyberpunk with the 100 from Gwent ready to move over soon?

Over 500 people as of May, actually. 1/3 of the studio are foreigners too.

Edit: Just to clarify, that's for the whole group. CDPR is over 400. GOG employs around 100.

Tovarisc

I didn't mean to imply that they just release and forget Gwent. My point was that maybe they want lock V1.0 down so they can move most of bodies to other projects as groundwork is done.

Tovarisc

100 devs on Gwent? Why?

All the new art they are doing for cards, putting in groundwork for that SP campaign, audio design, UI design QA, extensive play testing before beta phase etc. All that takes a lot bodies, especially if they want game to have short-ish dev cycle before it's released.

My favorite easter egg in Witcher 3 is the quest with the tower defense system called DRM that can only be defeated with a grimoir abbreviated as GoG.

Top Bottom