• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR gets awarded for their industry-leading menstrual leave policy.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
How is that not getting abused to hell and back? If this happened over here 90% of the population would work one day every two years.
My company of ~1000 people has unlimited sick leave. It's not abused. I have friends who work at larger companies who also have unlimited sick leave, and there's no abuse there either.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
My company of ~1000 people has unlimited sick leave. It's not abused. I have friends who work at larger companies who also have unlimited sick leave, and there's no abuse there either.
Damn, I've love to live for once in a civilized country where the average person doesn't look for every little loophole not to work or pay taxes.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The best solution is to just give (mostly) unlimited sick leave. Here in the Netherlands you can be sick for up to two years and still get paid. You don't need a doctor's note nor is your employer allowed to ask you why you are sick.

I didn't know that, does the number of sick days you took get reported to your next employer?

Zathalus

How is that not getting abused to hell and back? If this happened over here 90% of the population would work one day every two years.
I'm sure some do, but it appears to work well enough (I moved here two years ago). I had surgery last year and not having to worry about pay or how many days I have left was neat.

Hrk69

Banned
Jimmy Fallon Goodbye GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think it's great they do that, and I also think it shouldn't be enforceable since small businesses would prefer not to employ women. I'd give two days leave (first two days which are always the hardest for some women), or give the option to renounce those days salary but let them take a break, I know since women that can't even leave their beds without some analgesic injection (since pills do nothing).

Last edited:
So what even is menstrual leave? Do women get extra paid time off days? Or is it just, they’re allowed to use sick days for menstruation? Is there some different process for using “menstrual leave” vs sick leave?
Would have to be answered by someone knowledeable of the polish law. I assume at least we talk about their polish studio.

For me menstrual leave sounds just like plain BS.

Here any women (or men) can take sick days kinda almost unlimited. I think some weeks(!) have to be paid by your employer before the state will take over and pay for quite some time a more limited amount. Or something like that. I think only people that are really sick, figure out how good our system actually is.
Since I have no idea about how bad and long menstrual pain actually is, I assume females might feel one or two days a month sick enough to check out, as per what they tell here about use of this policy, so that is certainly covered without having to tell your employer that it is this. A monthly pattern though might especially in small companies be not that hard to be figured out.

Having a rather limited number of sick days seems entirely stupid imho. Sick means stay at home, especially if it is contagious or you being not entirely fit being dangerous by driving around operating machines or whatever.
But allocating it to specific illnesses appears even more stupid. My employer has no right at all to even know why I am sick. I don't have to tell them anything. All I have to bring is a note from any doctor that I am/was sick, were at the dentist, had a check up whatever. I guess if they are a bit nosey and not purposely ignorant they clearly can read who wrote it and that might tell what it might be, but if i have a heart problem, cancer, monthly bleedings, migraine, had a nose job or did hair implants, shot myself in the foot isn't something they need to know. Some expected return date or whatever is expected though. You don't have to be a dick about it of course, unless you are actually comatose just playing dead forever is not nice and not informing your boss and colleagues on how to proceed short or even long term.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
The best solution is to just give (mostly) unlimited sick leave. Here in the Netherlands you can be sick for up to two years and still get paid. You don't need a doctor's note nor is your employer allowed to ask you why you are sick.
As a business owner, this makes me double over in pain for whoever has to endure multi-month Simon the fatigued, or 25 days straight Sally with the sniffles. I'm all about a fair amount of sick leave: but unlimited for up to 2 years and no explanation needed backed by law? That's batshit crazy.

My teenage or even early 20s self would have taken advantage of that way too easy, surely there are some rules around this? Sounds literally mental.

Robb

Gold Member
More days off with pay is always nice. Not sure if dictating it by bodily functions is a great concept, but I won’t complain. Hope people use it as much as they can.

Zathalus

As a business owner, this makes me double over in pain for whoever has to endure multi-month Simon the fatigued, or 25 days straight Sally with the sniffles. I'm all about a fair amount of sick leave: but unlimited for up to 2 years and no explanation needed backed by law? That's batshit crazy.

My teenage or even early 20s self would have taken advantage of that way too easy, surely there are some rules around this? Sounds literally mental.
By law the company just has to cover 70% of wages (but always above minimum wage) but most companies cover the whole 100%. This must include all company benefits as well. If an employee has been sick for a while (say surgery or some other complications) then it is also the responsibility of the employer to ensure the reintegration goes smoothly. It is also the responsibility of the employee to make sure they put in the effort to reintegrate smoothly as well.

There are some other minute details, but that is basically it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That's great, women get to leave for a few days while their fellow masculine workmates get to not have to endure their menstrual screechings during said days.
kinda-funny-greg-miller.gif

Do you kiss your waifu pillow with that toxic mouth of yours?

Last edited:
Women get even more special treatment in the workplace and folks call it equality.

The reality is that women at work will suffer more because of stuff like this. Business in a capitalist economy is fundamentally about efficiency. If women take more time off work, they will be more easily passed up for promotions and less likely to get roles in the first place.

If I'm a manager and I'm looking to hire for a team to deliver a project on a short timeline, am I gonna take a woman who takes a few days off every month for her menstruation, or a man who doesn't?

I feel like this kinda stuff sounds great on the surface but the net effect is that it hurts women overall.

Would have just been better to increase the number of allowed sick days for everyone. That way cost of doing business goes up, but it doesn't automatically disadvantage women in the long run.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Honestly amazed none of those women are trans.

Co-opting of everything female is something they love to do.

Last edited:

Švejk

You know what's fucked up? The older lady on the right probably can't menstruate anymore... Where is her award for sticking it out in "hard times" in this industry?

Either that, or she's just the presenter of the award secretly telling those woman to GTFO of her face with this shit. lol

StueyDuck

I've been assured by gaf members that dei doesn't exist though.

OT: as long as the men get equal time off then who cares 🤷‍♂️ cdpr aren't that great anyway.

nush

Gold Member
If women take more time off work, they will be more easily passed up for promotions and less likely to get roles in the first place.
One privately owned business I once worked for the owner was being very candid with me. He said (Paraphase) "I don't hire any women that have not had a kid yet. What happens is every-time is that they take maternity and have this idyllic view that they can come back to work and be a working mother. What actually happens is they come back work for a month at best and reality hits them that they can't do both because it's actually hard and then they resign"

I responded with "I dunno, sounds kinda illegal to me"

Anyway, some time after that conversation one of his key staff took maternity leave. What he told me was exactly what happened.

People in charge know, big corpos might absorb that but but you can't expect equality and special treatment.

Audiophile

In larger companies I'm fine with this and maternity, but only if the people who are left and have to pick up the slack get paid extra while they're away. Many companies won't bring in additional, temporary help to cover.

Where I used to work there were three women on a crew of 18 and they were constantly regarded as part of the headcount, even though in my 6yrs there, two of them had two babies and nearly a year per leave; and the other one had one baby and about 9mths leave. In addition, they all had a reduced workload expectancy in the lead up to being off.

As for significantly smaller companies, I think they should be able to discriminate on the grounds that hiring a woman may not be economically feasible (unless they're willing to sign a waver for a set period).

I'm not a petty scorekeeper about who gets what treatment and how it compares; and I'm happy to take a little of the load from someone else here and there as a gesture. But, when it gets to the point where others are taking on a significant chunk of extra work and are expected to deal with it for no extra compensation -- while the other person is getting paid to not be there -- then it starts to take the biscuit.

Last edited:
So what even is menstrual leave? Do women get extra paid time off days? Or is it just, they’re allowed to use sick days for menstruation? Is there some different process for using “menstrual leave” vs sick leave?
Some women suffer quite badly from this and if you factor in the fact women get sick just as much as men, how is it fair for them to use up normal sick days?

nush

Gold Member
I'm not a petty scorekeeper about who gets what treatment and how it compares;
I do, I used to smoke. Non-smokers in these companies used to quite rightly complain how smokers got all these extra "Smoke breaks" outside of the allotted official break times. But guess who also were the smokers? Mangers and higher ups, you got bonus points every time they asked you for a cigarette when they were out, and you could go out with them and chat for a while thus strengthening your personal relationship with them. I kept score when many parents were given leeway to come in late or leave early because they had to look after the kids when they were non smokers.

kiphalfton

If it's anything like the past 3-4 companies I've worked at, shit may actually get done on those days female's are out of office.

I honestly don't know how a typical female office worker gets anything done. Either they're lazy/pawn off work, and/or guys are hanging out at their cube all day talking to them.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Good on them building towards a great future 😊

I smoke so my smoke leave is fine now

As a people manager myself i get when you can’t work i can also smell when you fucking drank to much 🥹

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Women get even more special treatment in the workplace and folks call it equality.

The reality is that women at work will suffer more because of stuff like this. Business in a capitalist economy is fundamentally about efficiency. If women take more time off work, they will be more easily passed up for promotions and less likely to get roles in the first place.

If I'm a manager and I'm looking to hire for a team to deliver a project on a short timeline, am I gonna take a woman who takes a few days off every month for her menstruation, or a man who doesn't?

I feel like this kinda stuff sounds great on the surface but the net effect is that it hurts women overall.

Would have just been better to increase the number of allowed sick days for everyone. That way cost of doing business goes up, but it doesn't automatically disadvantage women in the long run.

That's all fine and dandy logically, but see what happens if you're not promoting female workers. HR would shit bricks.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Some women suffer quite badly from this and if you factor in the fact women get sick just as much as men, how is it fair for them to use up normal sick days?
How is it fair for some people to get more paid leave than others based on their sex?

What if I’m obese, or have diabetes, or smoke, or I have bipolar disorder, severe allergies, I don’t believe in vaccines, etc etc. should I also be allowed to have some extra days where I get paid to rest at home while my coworkers have to work?

IMO it really depends how this is implemented. At my workplace we get one big pool of PTO every year that can be used for vacation, sick leave, whatever. If they told us we can use that for menstrual leave as well, I’d be totally cool with that. If they said “in addition, the women get an extra 12 paid days off per year for menstrual leave” then yeah I’d have a problem with that.

makaveli60

But that wouldn’t look good for the DEI requirements

Top Bottom