• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Cuisine Showdown: Orange vs. Sesame vs. General Tso's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

No. Because to us Americans it is so far outside of our palette that its nasty. Sorry. I've made a real attempt to like it but I personally think its horrible. I like Americanized ethnic food.
This sure looks gross and completely out of the range of American palates.
20120123_chicken_crack_laoszechuan_560x372.jpg

Dry Fried Chicken - Specifically "Five Star Chicken" from Lao Sze Chuan

peking-chicken-with-steamed-buns.jpg

Peking Duck

Jianbin_main_and_hero.JPG

Chinese Crepe with Eggs

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No. Because to us Americans it is so far outside of our palette that its nasty. Sorry. I've made a real attempt to like it but I personally think its horrible. I like Americanized ethnic food.

Chinese food is not that weird dude.

120v

what would "authentic" chinese food be? dim sum and such? i dine out at asian restaurants (mostly "vietmanese" places but i'm guessing they're more accurately vietmanese/chinese) on a regular basis ... but i still love "chinese food"

Talon

what would "authentic" chinese food be? dim sum and such? i dine out at asian restaurants (mostly "vietmanese" places but i'm guessing they're more accurately vietmanese/chinese) on a regular basis ... but i still love "chinese food"
Chinese cuisine is incredibly widely varying. In general, when you think of "Chinese food" in this country, it's usually Cantonese cuisine.

If you live in any major city, you'll be able to find Chinese restaurants where actual Chinese folks go out to eat. Dim sum's probably a good bet - especially on weekend mornings.

The best Chinese dish I've ever had was this eggplant dish in black bean sauce. Still have no idea what it's called.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Google image search "chinese cuisine".

It's mostly vegetables, meat, fish, rice, and noodles. Primary spices are garlic, ginger, and red pepper. Soy sauce is pretty common.

Sweet and Sour Pork, or the variants like Stir-fried Spare Ribs are superior than the imitations that is General Tso's (which I have only heard of once I moved to Canada).

Pic for reference:
300px-Sweet-and-sour_pork.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Fun fact for OP:

Orange Chicken
Orange chicken (simplified Chinese: 陈皮鸡; traditional Chinese: 陳皮雞; Mandarin Pinyin: chénpí jī; Wade–Giles: ch'en²-p'i³-chi¹; Jyutping: gan4 pei4 kai1) is an American Chinese dish of Hunan origin.[1] The variety of orange chicken most commonly found at North American fast food restaurants consists of chopped, battered, and fried chicken pieces coated in a sweet orange-flavored chili sauce, which thickens or caramelizes to a glaze. While the dish is very popular in the United States, it is most often found as a variation of General Tso's chicken rather than the dish found in mainland China.

Lemon Chicken
Lemon chicken (Chinese: 檸檬雞; Mandarin Pinyin: níng méng jī; Jyutping: ning4 mung1 gai1) is the name of several dishes found in cuisines around the world (but rarely in China) which include chicken and lemon.[1]

General Tso's
The dish was unknown in China and other lands home to the Chinese diaspora before it was introduced by chefs returning from the United States.

The dish is named after General Tso Tsung-tang, or Zuo Zongtang, a Qing dynasty general and statesman, although there is no recorded connection to him. The real roots of the dish lie in the post-1949 exodus of chefs to the United States. The dish is reported to have been introduced to New York City in the early 1970s as an example of Hunan cooking, though it is not typical of Hunanese cuisine, which is traditionally very spicy and rarely sweet

So you might as well change the thread title to: "American Chinese Imitation Cuisine Showdown"

numble

What did you eat? You know Chinese food encompasses 1/6 of the human population and the difference between regions can be similar to the difference between Mexican and New England food, right?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I came in here under the assumption that orange chicken would be killing it with the votes, only to be pleasantly surprised to see that its actually Tso's that's getting the love.

Good job gaf. Very good job.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
gentsos.jpg

? :D

On a related topic to foods and what not. Pretty good site for asian cooking.
http://rasamalaysia.com/

Over there got the recipe for General Tso's Chicken which I plan on making at my friends place. Mine dont have the proper tools to safely fry things.

Though I always knew it as General Tsao's Chicken.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Bah. I remember talking to a coworker in Montreal who said she was worried that the Chinese restaurants hid stuff from her. I brought up one time I took two white girls out to a dim sum place. They wouldn't eat some of the weirder stuff and I was stuck with it all.

She agreed that many wouldn't be able to stomach it, so I asked her how she would feel about chicken's feet. And she surprisingly said, there's no way she'd miss a chicken feet dish :p

edit: to the OP, General Tso. One of the clearest memories I have is my grandfather (who ran a restaurant in China) make it for me when my grandmother and mother were away. I wished he cooked all the food I had back then. :(

Divvy

Bah. I remember talking to a coworker in Montreal who said she was worried that the Chinese restaurants hid stuff from her. I brought up one time I took two white girls out to a dim sum place. They wouldn't eat some of the weirder stuff and I was stuck with it all.

She agreed that many wouldn't be able to stomach it, so I asked her how she would feel about chicken's feet. And she surprisingly said, there's no way she'd miss a chicken feet dish :p

edit: to the OP, General Tso. One of the clearest memories I have is my grandfather (who ran a restaurant in China) make it for me when my grandmother and mother were away. I wished he cooked all the food I had back then. :(

She has good taste

NomarTyme

I love chicken feet.

aparisi2274

General Tso's for me!

I make sure to order it with white meat chicken only (God knows what the other meat is...) and EXTRA spicy!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
You're basically saying people that like it are inferior in some way because it's candy and not "legit" food.

If I'm belligerent, it's because I'm highly annoyed at the food culture of highly rewarding, engineered food trying to replace authentic cuisine. It's the primary cause of the obesity epidemic.

I don't think people that like junk food are inferior.

Qvoth

Truthfact.

I think one of my favorite actually chinese dishes is Shuizhu niurou. Which is like boiled beef in a broth with a ton of chilis.

It's sichuan. So spicy, so good.

good taste, if you like fish shuizhu yu is the same thing but with fish fillets, but the type of fish they use usually has like a ton of the fish bones so it gets annoying after some time, but i recommend the fish one over beef

peking-chicken-with-steamed-buns.jpg

Peking Duck
bwahahhahaha, that's not peking duck bro
real peking duck only uses the skin, or at least just a bit of the meat

Divvy

There's lots of variations of Peking duck.

Though I've never seen it with buns though. Interesting.

linsivvi

I've seen pancakes or buns. It seems to be all buns in Chicago, though, at least the main Peking Duck haunt hereabouts.

Pancakes seem more common, but yeah Peking Duck uses both the meat and the skin. Who the hell would want to eat duck skin only?

Divvy

Pancakes seem more common, but yeah Peking Duck uses both the meat and the skin. Who the hell would want to eat duck skin only?

Well some people like skin only, though I personally like skin+meat a lot more so long as it's cut right.

When it's done well, Peking duck is the best dish of all time.

Of all time

Talon

Well some people like skin only, though I personally like skin+meat a lot more so long as it's cut right.

When it's done well, Peking duck is the best dish of all time.

Of all time
I mean, to be fair, the picture I posted in that post looked like someone had taken a knife and cut across the grain on the duck meat, which never, ever happens. It's usually thin slices following the grain.

It is definitely one of my top five favorite dishes of all time.

Ken

The best Chinese dish I've ever had was this eggplant dish in black bean sauce. Still have no idea what it's called.

It's probably just called "eggplant in black bean sauce."

There's lots of variations of Peking duck.

Though I've never seen it with buns though. Interesting.

I can't eat peking duck with those white buns. Only lettuce or the thinner, tortilla-like stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom