• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Dring at GDC: Xbox sales flatlining in Europe, majority of Xbox games coming to PS5 at some point, MS putting less focus on GamePass

What is your problem? What are you trying to prove? That an experience on a 2500.00$ machine is better than a 500.00$ console? We already know this. No need to self insert your pc master race ideoligies into every conversation when it console to gaming. This is an "A & B" conversation between Xbox and curious Playstation console gamers. So you can "C" yourself out and go jerk off to your donut glazed KB&M.

jack off please GIF

Tv Show Smile GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead
PC is a substitute which runs laps around consoles even without a $1000 investment and lasts longer without the hidden fees.

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

Zuzu

I love my Series X and it's my favourite console but this brand has been woefully mismanaged. I mean look at even the last 2-3 months. Even without any first party exclusives Sony is dominating this year again because of smart business decisions such as buying the rights to strong 3rd party exclusives (FF7 Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2) and the building hype train of the PS5 Pro console. Everything this year so far has pretty much been about Sony and its games and its hardware.

What do we have from Microsoft? Nothing, other than a game show at the beginning of the year. It's just continuous failing and mediocre performance from Team Xbox. Sony's even going to be first to the market with dedicated AI upscaling hardware. You'd think that MS, who advertised the Series X's machine learning capabilities and who are heavily invested in AI technology would be the pioneers here but nope; once again it's Sony coming to the market first with this technology (for consoles). But the most important thing is the delivery of top-tier games and Sony just keep beating them decisively on this front whether through first party exclusives or smart third party exclusivity deals.

Last edited:
Just buy a PS5. It's gonna have all the Xbox games anyway.

Devs at this point need to just cut Xbox Series S support especially with games gonna need a ps5 pro version. That console never should have existed.
Why get a console when you can get a PC or Steam deck. Get all games on 1platform the most consumer friendly platform with the cheapest game prices and actual endless backwards compatibility even with consoles (emulation).

nordique

Microsoft did this to themselves

They launched a system and had barely any games for 2 years. What do they expect.

Now they’re like “we can’t hang with the big boy Sony”

The formula is simple for the core fans just go back to what worked during the 360 era. They’re really only strong in one region in North America (maybe two with uk) so they’re always going to lose the world wide battle but I remember visiting Malaysia the guys there said Microsoft support here is so low even those of us that want the Xbox we know we aren’t going to get even a basic storefront and services

Xbox did this to themselves ultimately. The funny thing is they’re problem solving everything but the root issues

Madflavor

I've said it time and time again, Xbox just doesn't have the games, and it's gone on long enough that the word is out.

I don't know how they recover from this. It's not something that they can fix in a couple of years. AAA games take so goddamn long to make nowadays. Redfall and Starfield were their big exclusives last year, and both those games ended up sucking dick. Halo Infinite was dud, there's nothing on Gears 6, and Fable 4 still has no release date, and features a Female Protagonist who looks like she lost a beauty competition to a German Shepherd's shaved asshole. They have nothing to compete with Nintendo and PS5 with. There are no "Must Have Games" that you can only play on Xbox, like there used to be back in the 7th gen. I remember the mid to late 2000s. Xbox 360 was my jam. It sucks to see what's become of it.

nordique

I've said it time and time again, Xbox just doesn't have the games, and it's gone on long enough that the word is out.

I don't know how they recover from this. It's not something that they can fix in a couple of years. AAA games take so goddamn long to make nowadays. Redfall and Starfield were their big exclusives last year, and both those games ended up sucking dick. Halo Infinite was dud, there's nothing on Gears 6, and Fable 4 still has no release date, and features a Female Protagonist who looks like she lost a beauty competition to a German Shepherd's shaved asshole. They have nothing to compete with Nintendo and PS5 with. There are no "Must Have Games" that you can only play on Xbox, like there used to be back in the 7th gen. I remember the mid to late 2000s. Xbox 360 was my jam. It sucks to see what's become of it.

Exactly. They did this to themselves

Alllllllll those studio purchases

Only a handful of games since the Series systems launched in 2020

nordique

Yup - all chatter i've heard since Jan/Feb RE: 3rd party relations, especially in light of the 3rd party XGS game releases news coming out, is that 3rd parties are openly talking about pulling support outside of the (going to become increasingly rare) 3rd Party GP deals. Even said as much back in Feb. on here that 3rd parties were having meetings to discuss potential plans for platform support going forward in light of them going 3rd party.

Since then, all i've heard makes it sound like the 3rd party pullout starting from next year will become increasingly noticeable.
I wonder if this will benefit Nintendo and the Switch 2 because resources are finite. We have had some switch ports come late for that reason they want a game on nintendos platform but they have people working on the Xbox series and/or One versions as well.

If they pull support but they still want to be as multiplatform as possible then now they have more resources to redirect Nintendo’s way

PSlayer

Gamepass was such a bad idea from a business standpoint. I get that for the consumers it's great value but when games cost 100+ million dollars to make, telling your userbase that they can get everything for a few bucks a month is basically slow suicide.

Combine that with Microsoft releasing their games on PC day one and you have a large portion of the gamming comunity just asking "why bother with an Xbox?".

Last edited:

Pelta88

The part about publishers questioning why they’re still supporting the platform midway through the gen has got to be troubling.

I don’t think the XB platform survives GTA 6.

Nydius

Redfall and Starfield were their big exclusives last year, and both those games ended up sucking dick.

Don't forget Forza Motorsport. I know I almost have because the game came out less than 6 months ago and feels like it's vanished into the ether. I hear nothing about it despite the fact that it was Microsoft's second-highest rated game last year, only slightly behind Hi-Fi Rush. I had to hunt down articles to learn about updates (there's been six!) because the game came out, got reviewed, and then *poof* practically fell off everyone's radars. Even Xbox Twitter/X shills rarely talk about it, and it was supposed to be a flagship system seller.

SHA

they are doing only one way, sabotaging the brand and taking acquired studios with it.
Acquisitions are made to balance the market from the possibility of newer games taking over the games you usually play "it's a multi billions industry so I don't think this is not the case if you look at it from a business perspective ", I'm against the idea, I always look for the best in this industry, passionate devs wanna make something new.

There was a smaller game cancelled recently, there was a thread on here about it. I think there was another a few weeks back too.
Bigger games? Not yet but maybe in the future.
@SneakersSO also mentioned it would happen weeks ago.
What does that say about it being Xbox' 2nd biggest market?

Maybe you’re thinking of the multi platform Mandalorian game, or Factions on PS5.

nick776

It almost makes you think what if Microsoft is intentionally killing the Xbox brand so they can have an excuse to abandon Gamepass? Maybe they see the flaws in the GP model and want to abandon it without outright saying "we were wrong, we are going to abandon Gamepass" and having to deal with the consequences from fans of saying that.

Kerotan

Series S outsells Series X 75:25. I don’t think that’s a sensible decision to do.
It's literally because they couldn't produce the X because of the chip shortage but they could still produce the S during the COVID shortage when people couldn't get an X or PS5.

//DEVIL//

Why?

Just get a PS5, it’s going to be cheaper and have all the PC games anyways, and day and date first party releases so you don’t need to wait years
I sometimes wish I can sell my PC with 4090 in it and just focus on PlayStation.

I don't play much anyway and the games I play per year are like 5 games max ( of course games like call or duty I play for hours and hours )
.but in terms of single player games ? There no company that makes single player games better than Sony. And I don't mind playing it on their console.

Between thus year and last. The games I have been playing / played and finished are MW3, GT7, FF16, FF7 rebirth.

If I didn't have my PS5, I would be playing MW3 only.

What upcoming games with high end graphics coming soon ?

All I can think of wulong.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

That was lifetime sales until 2022 in the papers that MS uploaded. Even if that have changed the needle can only move so much.
One of these documents focuses on Xbox's April 2022 gaming results. While the document is heavily redacted, one slide shows the "Console Sell-In Mix". As you can see in the screenshot below, the document reveals that 74.8% of Xbox Series owners own the Series S, with the Series X on 25.1%. As mentioned, these numbers are from early 2022, so may have changed since then.

I think it would be foolish of Nintendo to take on Sony with a product that is pretty similar, just with worse graphics and online.

I think you're ignoring what separates Nintendo, which is the hybrid platform as well as their first party games.

I'm predicting that Switch 2 will still be a hybrid, but with raw power of a PS4 but with more modern architecture.

This would allow it to retain the flexibility and strong first party output that made Switch a success, but also give it better third party support with ganes that look "good enough".

That wouod help Nintendo be more competitive in key markets like Europe, even though PS5 (and then PS6) would also sell very well.

Always will be an issue if the games can't be immediately ported over.

Varteras

Gold Member
Yup - all chatter i've heard since Jan/Feb RE: 3rd party relations, especially in light of the 3rd party XGS game releases news coming out, is that 3rd parties are openly talking about pulling support outside of the (going to become increasingly rare) 3rd Party GP deals. Even said as much back in Feb. on here that 3rd parties were having meetings to discuss potential plans for platform support going forward in light of them going 3rd party.

Since then, all i've heard makes it sound like the 3rd party pullout starting from next year will become increasingly noticeable.

Would it be accurate to say that 3rd parties are, at an accelerating rate, looking at Xbox as a rival and not a partner anymore? If that corner gets turned, would that not create a near irreversible trajectory for the Xbox brand, even if they decided later to course correct? Or is this just the picture, of decisions already made, becoming clear more and more? As you said, boiling the frog.

Last edited:

onQ123

The best deal in gaming killed the Xbox brand.
Gamepass didn't kill Xbox

Believe it or not but it was the Xbox fanboys that did the most damage & the dumb people in the company trying to connect with them online.

Also not really having an identity anymore because PS4 ,Xbox One , PS5 & Xbox Series are basically ready made gaming PCs & all the Xbox games also come to PC so it's not much to be exited about vs having a PC.

Kinect would be dominating right now & the fan base would be big enough to also support the hardcore games.

I thought somy was leading by 30 million sales? If so i dont really understand these threads, if sony was ahead in sales by 70/30 i could understand but this gen both have done poorly sales wise

Both have done poorly…?

Someone needs a dose of facts. PS5 is selling about on par with ps4, and at a much higher price.

PS5 is at 53M vs 27M for XS consoles…. A 67% to 33% split…uh, which isn’t far from your 70/30 ratio

cireza

This is revisionist history at best and outright trying to manipulate the truth at worst.

Microsoft downplayed 360 technical faults for 20 months after launch.

If your launch console died outside of the 90 day warranty, you had to pay shipping and repair costs. It was only in July 2007 that they extended it to a 3 year warranty and took a $1b hit.

For everyone’s reference, Sony reported that the yellow ring of death affected around 0.5% of consoles. Estimates on the RRoD range from 24% to 54%.

Stacks of broken PS3s my arse.
This is exactly how it was in France, like it or not. PS3 were super unreliable as well.

Warranty was also 3 years for Xbox here and you didn't have to pay anything, and initially it was 1 year as with all products in Europe back then. PS3 was only 1 year but number of consoles had overheating issues (among others) past this date. Surely it wasn't like the 360 which was the most unreliable console ever, but the fact that you had yo wait weeks or even months to get a replacement was a complete joke. And your console would still die after 1 or 2 years and the warranty ended. Happened twice to me. Thankfully I knew well the shop owner (you know, the guy who had stacks of defective PS3) and we found a way to have my consoles dealt by the Sony warranty. Still had to wait tough...

Last edited:

cireza

This always makes me life 'supporting Sony' or 'supporting xbox'....seriously...the only decision here is how you facilitate playing games. That's the only decision that matters, not if you do or don't support billion dollar companies!

Blows my mind how people thing in any other way outside - what games do I want to play.

I don't actually like Sony, and Nintendo mKe some very strange decisions but I like their games as much as anyone's.
So you would gladly buy again from a company that leaked your credit card info on internet and entirely stopped supporting a product you just bought ?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I mean I have voiced my disdain for modern Xbox enough on here to not be surprised at this inevitable outcome. Consolidation was the straw that broke the camels back and it's only gotten worse since then.

It is a shame too, I would argue 2014-2016 MS really had good vibes going forward with brand, the one was a flop but then uncy Phil came in and got backwards compatibility running. Buy a game on Xbox and you get the PC version anyway. Strong push for cross play between platforms, releasing all their titles on PC, some real forward thinking, user friendly stuff.

There were many things Xbox were doing right, but then they got their gamepass and my assumption is that the initial numbers were an unhealthy spike that made them lose their minds and the plot, becoming the worst of all 3 companies with their plans and policies.

On a final note, this is this Chris dring guy... just a guy on the internet as always, sure he has some sales data that is given to him but he also defended sweet baby inc and kotaku so it's safe to label him a brainless chop. I wouldn't take his word as gospel

Last edited:
Does Nintendo have an incentive to build upcoming machines so that they technically can play all games the PS6/7/8 can play, or are we looking at a potential monopoly in this niche (home console with quasi PC like capabilities) here? If PS remains the only console of its kind, Sony fans have no reason to be happy about that. PS6 games launching at 120 USD base price.

havoc00

Does Nintendo have an incentive to build upcoming machines so that they technically can play all games the PS6/7/8 can play, or are we looking at a potential monopoly in this niche (home console with quasi PC like capabilities) here? If PS remains the only console of its kind, Sony fans have no reason to be happy about that. PS6 games launching at 120 USD base price.
And people thought ms was ruthless wait until Apple enters

Kumomeme

a8LxdWQ.jpg

Xbox promised 😂

promise after promise and after another promise

FnhTdPPXEAALr5E

EnmWQf_XECwU3IA

You Promised Me Lunch GIF by Applause Entertainment

Methos#1975

So at what point does MS realize the Xbox as a console product is beyond saving and just goes fully into third party publishing?

Top Bottom