• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleveland officer not guilty over deaths of two people shot at 137 times by police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indicate

AlOxq0z.jpg

A lot of bullets.

A Cleveland police officer who stood on the hood of a car and fired his gun 49 times through the windshield at two unarmed passengers has been found not guilty on two counts of voluntary manslaughter.

Michael Brelo was also found not guilty of felonious assault, and discharged.

On Saturday morning, Cuyahoga County judge John P O’Donnell said prosecutors failed to prove without a reasonable doubt that bullets fired by officer Brelo were the cause of death of Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell, or that Brelo had no fear for his own life during the volley of gunfire that ended a high-speed car chase on 29 November 2012.

“The verdict should be no cause for a civilized society to celebrate or riot,” O’Donnell said in remarks preceding a lengthy reading of 10 pages of his 35-page verdict, in which he discussed the wounds suffered by Williams and Russell, which were indicated on two mannequins in court, and the views and actions of other police officers involved in the shooting.
After O’Donnell delivered his verdict, some African American spectators in the court house shouted: “No justice, no peace!”

Brelo’s trial ended about three weeks ago, and was decided by a judge instead of a jury at the request of the defendant. The move allowed the decision to be made by a judge looking only at the strict legal interpretation of the case, rather than by a jury that might render a decision based more on emotion.

Sources have told the Guardian that O’Donnell waited so long to issue his verdict in order to give the city time to prepare for any resultant civic unrest of the kind seen recently in Ferguson, Missouri and Baltimore after cases involving deaths at the hands of police.

The judge picked a Saturday morning on a holiday weekend to announce the verdict, the sources said, to provide an extra day for law enforcement to calm the city, and also as a way to lessen problems that might be caused by high school students.

In recent years, downtown Cleveland has experienced some acts of mob violence carried out by high school students – in particular on St Patrick’s Day this year.

Brelo, 31, joined the Cleveland police department in 2007, having served in the marine corps in Iraq. He was charged with two counts of voluntary manslaughter. Each count can carry a sentence of three to eight years in prison.

O’Donnell would also have decided the sentencing. The 50-year-old judge, in office since 2002 and elected as a Democrat throughout his career, ran for the Ohio supreme court but was defeated by a Republican.

Brelo’s trial resulted froma police chase on 29 November 2012, when Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell led police on a 20-minute pursuit that involved 60 police cars and about 100 police officers. The chase began when their car, a 1979 Chevy Malibu, apparently backfired as it passed police headquarters in downtown Cleveland. The noise was mistaken for a gunshot.

Williams, 30, and Russell, 43, were boxed into a middle-school parking lot when 13 Cleveland police officers fired 137 shots into the car in an 18-second volley. Brelo fired the most – 49 shots total – including 15 at the end of the barrage while standing on the hood of the car, aiming at the pair through the windshield. Even though a dozen other officers fired 88 bullets into the car, only Brelo was charged.

If Brelo was fearful that he or another officer or a bystander might get hurt, he was entitled to use deadly force.

The prosecution also had to prove that Brelo’s actions led to the deaths of Williams and Russell, meaning the bullets fired from his gun were the ones that killed them. No forensic science experts could say with any certainty that any of Brelo’s 49 bullets resulted in death.

The prosecution’s expert witnesses testified that all the shots fired by police were justifiable – except for the 15 Brelo fired from on top of the car. Prosecutors conceded that those 15 shots would have been justified had Brelo not been standing on the hood. In other words, if Brelo had fired the same shots into the windshield standing in front of the car with his feet on the ground, he probably would not have been charged.

The Brelo case caused widespread outrage and led to an investigation of the use of excessive force by the Cleveland police department."

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/23/cleveland-officer-not-guilty-shot-137-times-police

Live coverage/ protests. I'll update as time goes by.

WKYC channel 5 http://www.wkyc.com/videos/homepage/2015/04/21/3311833/
CNN http://www.hulkuss.com/cnn-news-live-streaming/

SJRB

Gold Member
49 times means he had to stop, assess the situation and reload several times. What the fuck?

Tagyhag

Cuyahoga County judge John P O’Donnell said prosecutors failed to prove without a reasonable doubt that bullets fired by officer Brelo were the cause of death of Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell

Did they hire Lionel Hutz or something?

Well, he did only shoot 49 of the 130+ bullets... I guess?

From further in the article...

Williams, 30, and Russell, 43, were boxed into a middle-school parking lot when 13 Cleveland police officers fired 137 shots into the car in an 18-second volley. Brelo fired the most – 49 shots total – including 15 at the end of the barrage while standing on the hood of the car, aiming at the pair through the windshield. Even though a dozen other officers fired 88 bullets into the car, only Brelo was charged.
What the fuck.

I'm gonna be fair here even though I hate the decision and wish he was in jail.

They got shot over 130 times by a bunch of different cops and during the case they were never able to prove his actual bullets did the actual killing.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
County judge John P O’Donnell said prosecutors failed to prove without a reasonable doubt that bullets fired by officer Brelo were the cause of death of Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell

Excuse me what? Is that an Onion article?

Dennis

Banned
On Saturday morning, Cuyahoga County judge John P O’Donnell said prosecutors failed to prove without a reasonable doubt that bullets fired by officer Brelo were the cause of death of Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm gonna be fair here even though I hate the decision and wish he was in jail.

They got shot over 130 times by a bunch of different cops and during the case they were never able to prove his actual bullets did the actual killing.

My biggest question is why were they shot at 130 times in the first place? The car was seemingly stopped right? They were unarmed? So why did every officer decide to fire?

Somnid

It's slightly more clear in the article. They couldn't prove his bullets killed out of the volley and the rest of the officers were not charged because those were considered justifiable. He stood on the car and fired 15 times at the end which was clearly excessive and that's why he was charged. What isn't so clear from the article is what prompted the shooting but since they were in a vehicle they weren't "unarmed" necessarily.

I'm assuming what the judge means is that there were a lot of shots fired prior to these cops shooting the extra 15 times. Therefore, there is no way to prove their shots specifically killed the civilians.

Guess a new strategy for the cops now. Just shoot dozens of times and then it can't be determined who fired the fatal shot therefore everyone walks.

How can a judge be an idiot? I don't understand how someone so detached from reality can land a job like that.

I've often thought this about most judges. Or most positions of authority and responsibility.

"A competent person would have these important characteristics. Make sure the person hired has the complete opposite"

My biggest question is why were they shot at 130 times in the first place? The car was seemingly stopped right? They were unarmed? So why did every officer decide to fire?

The car back-fired, least that's what the investigation says, and the cops thought they were being shot at and fired into the car when it stopped. However cops were on both sides of the car so the cops on one side thought they were being shot at by the people in the car when actually the cops on the other side were shooting through the car. So at one point the cops were shooting at each other through the car.

They people in the car weren't armed.

Wesley Lowery ‏@WesleyLowery 20m20 minutes ago
Brelo's attorney: "this was a case of David vs. Goliath." Calls case an "unprofessional and vicious" attack on a police officer.

https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery/status/602128701560590336

Brelo's legal team: "we are elated. This was a blood fight... We stood toe to toe with an oppressive government."

https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery/status/602129335349313536

my head is actually starting to hurt from anger.

espher

How can a judge be an idiot? I don't understand how someone so detached from reality can land a job like that.

It's not necessarily that the judge is an idiot -- it's that he's functionally an arbiter adhering to laws that don't allow for a "common sense" decision. They could not conclusively (beyond a reasonably doubt) prove that shots by this officer did it, and not the shots of other officers, and by the letter that means he's not guilty (which doesn't mean he's innocent).

Ideally there'd be a way to charge the group (or police force) for situations like this, but it does seem like one way to get no convictions is to have everyone shoot all of the things.

Mind you, if this was a civil case, the outcome would be far different.

No forensic science experts could say with any certainty that any of Brelo’s 49 bullets [of the 137 overall shots fired] resulted in death.
That seems... ripe for abuse.

However, given the prosecution’s expert witnesses testified that 122 of the shots by the 13 officers were "justified," and it was only the 15 Brelo fired while standing on the hood of the car that were questionable, perhaps this isn't so surprising of an outcome.

Pissed I'm out of town all weekend so I'll miss the first wave of protests. There's no reason anyone in Cleveland should respect the law other than fear of being shot.

Also heard no cops on the Cleveland PD testified in the case because they refused to go against one of their own and kept pleading the fifth.

evanmisha

It's not necessarily that the judge is an idiot -- it's that he's functionally an arbiter adhering to laws that don't allow for a "common sense" decision. They could not conclusively (beyond a reasonably doubt) prove that shots by this officer did it, and not the shots of other officers, and by the letter that means he's not guilty (which doesn't mean he's innocent).

But to see a situation like that and dismiss the charge of felonious assault? Liiiike

Also heard no cops on the Cleveland PD testified in the case because they refused to go against one of their own and kept pleading the fifth.

To serve and protect ourselves

ShinZed

Saw that coming the moment I read the other thread. 'Can't prove my shots killed them since everyone else was shooting too.' So they all get off free.

Even if they can't prove he killed them he should still be fired for his excessive antics at the end of the chase.

Renta

Banned
It's slightly more clear in the article. They couldn't prove his bullets killed out of the volley and the rest of the officers were not charged because those were considered justifiable. He stood on the car and fired 15 times at the end which was clearly excessive and that's why he was charged. What isn't so clear from the article is what prompted the shooting but since they were in a vehicle they weren't "unarmed" necessarily.
Yup.

And Standing on the hood to look badass. He enjoyed that shit. Another case of "better safe than sorry, so I'll shoot" "...then I'll shoot some more"

"hell, let's go power rangers"

Wait! What!?! Failed to prove the bullets killed them? What in the world is going on here? This is madness.

The car back-fired, least that's what the investigation says, and the cops thought they were being shot at and fired into the car when it stopped. However cops were on both sides of the car so the cops on one side thought they were being shot at by the people in the car when actually the cops on the other side were shooting through the car. So at one point the cops were shooting at each other through the car.

They people in the car weren't armed.

What the fuck, man. How is no one held accountable for this?

witness

Shit like this is insane and infuriating, there's no accountability for a cops actions anywhere in this country.

Mohonky

I can see how so many shots being fired can kind of make sense, if they were in a chase with 60cars and 100 officers involved, say only half of that were on the scene when the shooting took place, you have 2 or 3 bullets per officer. Given an officer is unlike to fire just the once, the numbers kind of add up (in a sick sort of way).

What I dont understand, is how an officer jumps on the hood and fires 15 shoots from the hood and isn't charged. I understand the judge ruling regarding going by the word of the law and he is being asked to judge solely on whether this guys bullets were the ones to have been deemed to have been the bullets that killed the occupants, but fucking surely there is something, they can charge this fucker with something? You don't jump on the hood if you feel your life is being threatened, at that point in time you're just unloading rounds to satisfy some sick fucking urge to pump bullets into someone. It's like the guy rocking up to a crime scene, unloading a clip into the corpse and saying 'don't worry, they were already dead.' What?

My understanding of the case:

• Victims' car backfired near police headquarters, is mistaken for gunshot
  • On hearing 'gunshot', 20-minute pursuit begins
  • At the end of pursuit, victims are boxed into a parking lot
  • Due to 'gunshot', it is presumed victims were armed and dangerous
  • Police open fire. Zero chance to surrender given.
  • After initial volley, officer goes above and beyond, jumping onto the hood of the two victim's car and fire an extra 15 shots to confirm kills
  • Only one officer is charged with manslaughter i.e. the court has to determine if this one, single officer in particular was responsible for the deaths of the victims

This could have only possibly ended in a not guilty verdict for the officer. It's a verdict I'd agree with. Still though, ugh.

Legal question: Did that 'gunshot' really allow use of deadly force for the entire encounter? Or would the passage of time mean it would've only been allowed at that instant? If the former, that'd be honestly sickening and a clear failure of the law. If the latter, then someone else - whoever fired first or whoever gave the order - should've been charged.

I can see how so many shots being fired can kind of make sense, if they were in a chase with 60cars and 100 officers involved, say only half of that were on the scene when the shooting took place, you have 2 or 3 bullets per officer. Given an officer is unlike to fire just the once, the numbers kind of add up (in a sick sort of way).

What I dont understand, is how an officer jumps on the hood and fires 15 shoots from the hood and isn't charged. I understand the judge ruling regarding going by the word of the law and he is being asked to judge solely on whether this guys bullets were the ones to have been deemed to have been the bullets that killed the occupants, but fucking surely there is something, they can charge this fucker with something? You don't jump on the hood if you feel your life is being threatened, at that point in time you're just unloading rounds to satisfy some sick fucking urge to pump bullets into someone. It's like the guy rocking up to a crime scene, unloading a clip into the corpse and saying 'don't worry, they were already dead.' What?

There was a charge of Felonious Assault based on him jumping on the car. And they found him Not Guilty even then.

My understanding of the case:

• Victims' car backfired near police headquarters, is mistaken for gunshot
  • On hearing 'gunshot', 20-minute pursuit begins
  • At the end of pursuit, victims are boxed into a parking lot
  • Due to 'gunshot', it is presumed victims were armed and dangerous
  • Police open fire. Zero chance to surrender given.
  • After initial volley, officer goes above and beyond, jumping onto the hood of the two victim's car and fire an extra 15 shots to confirm kills
  • Only one officer is charged with manslaughter i.e. the court has to determine if this one, single officer in particular was responsible for the deaths of the victims

This could have only possibly ended in a not guilty verdict for the officer. It's a verdict I'd agree with. Still though, ugh.

Legal question: Did that 'gunshot' really allow use of deadly force for the entire encounter? Or would the passage of time mean it would've only been allowed at that instant? If the former, that'd be honestly sickening and a clear failure of the law. If the latter, then someone else - whoever fired first or whoever gave the order - should've been charged.
As long as cops say they thought there was a threat, whether real or fake, it is a get out of jail free card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom