• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleveland officer not guilty over deaths of two people shot at 137 times by police

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured this was coming earlier this week when the Cleveland PD were talking about closing streets off, doing outreach to various gangs about maintaining calm, etc.

ninjabat

It is most likely that they died before the 15 shots. But those 15 shots were definitely excessive in my opinion. This cop should at least talk to a psychologist after this, so that he will be less trigger happy in future.

gblues

Banned
With the weak case the prosecutors brought before the judge, I can see why there was no conviction for this cop.

But let's not pretend this chase and its results were anything other than a complete fiasco for the Cleveland Police Department. There were sixty-two police cars involved in the chase before it ended in a hail of gunfire. Five police supervisors involved with the chase have been charged with dereliction of duty, and for damn good reason.

And considering the Department of Justice investigation of Cleveland's police (which started in the aftermath of this incident) found that "investigators conducting reviews admitted that their goal was to paint the accused officers in the most positive light," and that the police officers in this incident reported that shots were being fired by the people in the vehicle during the chase even though they had no gun, and I'm at least a little skeptical of their story.

Holy fucking shit. For frame of reference, that's roughly triple the number of cop cars in this scene from Blues Brothers, which is supposed to be over-the-top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMagP52BWG8&t=2m50s

SMH Cleveland.

According Wiki, there a "Victims rammed a police car and drove toward police office on foot." between "Due to 'gunshot...'" and "Police open fire."

No. There needs to be a threat at the time of the decision to use lethal force too. So the original gunshot and police chase justifies the officers having their weapons out. However a second justification would be required to put the trigger. Which could have been anything from another backfire, attempting to run over or ram police, etc...

So, the first shots where most cops fired were justified. But this officer needed a third justification for going up to the hood and firing.

I see, thanks. I guess lethal force would be deemed acceptable then even after the boxing and that the officer at most should've been charged with excessive force? Though I'm not sure how you can get more excessive once you open fire.

that would certainly change the way this incident is viewed, although i can't find a source other than wikipedia (which really doesn't even qualify as a "source") that states that the victims' car first rammed a cop car, then targeted on foot police officers, before the shooting started.

Would be best to look at the official report (Dunno where I'd find it) to validate the ramming allegation, but it was mentioned in this Huffington Post article released a few weeks after the incident.

Is there any explanation why 20 minute car chase happened ?

They had previous convictions, so that'd probably be a good reason to run. They were also high as a kite according to an autopsy, so doing the best thing, stopping, probably wasn't on mind.

Now, why it took 20 minutes and 62 vehicles? Beats me. >.>

sensui-tomo

That quote from the fucking lawyer:

He just defended a guy who sprayed 49 bullets (alongside his other aggressive and dumb police force) to passengers who were unarmed. No fucking words.

Pretty much where I'm at with this but it's just more apparent to me that cops can't stay levelheaded enough during this to actually disable the damn car. I get they can't shoot a gun out of someone's hands in a tense situation, but can't they shoot out tires?? Or is the target too difficult as well?

I myself dont know much about how to deal with a high speed pursuit, but i'm sure shooting the tires out isnt a good idea (only because if you have a shitty shooter, someone accidentally shoots a gas tank(if that actually happens, I dont know if mythbusters proved if shooting a gas tank would cause it to explode or not) but having those road blocks with tire shredders should have been an idea, Basically, if someone proves that the victims Rammed into police cars/ drive into officers I wont feel as sad for their loss (trying to take another life is never the answer and why they never pulled over), But this definitely could have been dealt better by the police.. still going ontop of a car and shooting downwards is fucking stupid... (if that happened, theres too much info around to know whats true and what isnt true... I dont want to eat crow, so i reserve my judgement,)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kind of mixed on this. Seems a really unfortunate series of events. The backfire, then the 20m chase.

I'm curious why just this officer was singled out for charges. Certainly not justifying him jumping on the window, but when they have that many officers shooting how could they ever prove this one officer was responsible for their death.

Still wondering what prompted the shooting after the car stopped. Was there another backfire of the car?

Skii

This is why cops shouldn't have guns and why guns should just be outlawed. It is just so abusable.

Cops are supposed to protect society, not shoot 137 bullets into an unarmed couple.

Are there any crime scene diagrams? I'm curious how close their car was that they "drove towards officers on foot" to represent a danger but were far enough away that cops could just unload hundreds of shots without shooting each other. Did the car roll to a stop? Did the cop leaping onto the hood put himself in the line of friendly fire?

Enzom21

What kind of asshole would defend this verdict? You would have to be a special kind of shitheel to defend this... hope no one is this thread is like that.

What kind of asshole would defend this verdict? You would have to be a special kind of shitheel to defend this... hope no one is this thread is like that.

You're too late for that.

I'm not surprised by the verdict or the lack of empathy by some. People don't understand how terrified many in the black community are of the police. The idea that they kept going after 60+ cars followed them isn't that surprising.

Someone who actually read the article. Or someone that understands there's a difference between being guilty of something and being guilty of something in a court of law where the burden of proof is different from a random web forum where a vast majority read the title of a thread and post without further deliberation.
Doesn't make it right, but one would hope it would temper the sensationalism.

xerneas

Banned
Are there any crime scene diagrams? I'm curious how close their car was that they "drove towards officers on foot" to represent a danger but were far enough away that cops could just unload hundreds of shots without shooting each other. Did the car roll to a stop? Did the cop leaping onto the hood put himself in the line of friendly fire?

here's the parking lot where the car was cornered before the shooting - https://www.google.com/maps/@41.530101,-81.575774,3a,21.4y,231.55h,89.72t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFfyozkmydsL51a95SX3oqA!2e0

aerial view - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Heritage+Middle+School/@41.5293158,-81.5768089,154m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8830fc211ac8e4e5:0x49061ffc537cb59c!6m1!1e1

the parking lot measures 190 ft x 170 ft, so it's fairly small, especially given the amount of police vehicles that were present. it's likely that the cops formed a line or semi-circle around the victims' car, which is why they didn't get hit from any cross fire.

a CNN article explains the judicial rationale behind the decision -

• The officers' first round of gunfire was permissible because they had reason to believe they and the public were at risk, in part because other officers told them the pair had weapons, that one of them had fired, because Russell led them on a chase for so long, and because of the ramming.

• Brelo's second round was permissible because a reasonable police officer could decide that, even after the 100 shots, the threat might not have been over in part because the pair might still have been moving.

• Evidence shows Brelo's gunfire caused at least one wound each to Russell and Williams that would have killed either of them. But they suffered other lethal wounds, probably from other officers' guns.

• Since evidence doesn't prove Brelo's shots were the ones that killed the pair, he can't be found guilty of voluntary manslaughter.

• Brelo also is not guilty of a lesser possible charge, felonious assault, because it wasn't necessarily clear the threat was over.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/23/us/cleveland-police-verdict/

basically, they say that the first round of gunfire was permissible, given the information the officers were given at the time (the now inaccurate claim that the victims were armed) coupled with the aggressive nature of the victims' car in the parking lot.

they state that since the victims were shot from numerous individuals, it therefore cannot be legally proven that brelo's bullets were the actual bullets that led to the death of the victims.

If that's what's considered within cops' legal rights, then clearly the law was built against black people.

As if US History hasn't said exactly that millions of times.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I can understand the ruling. I just can't understand the underlying justice system where a verdict like can be the outcome given the circumstances of what happened. Come on America.

Sort your fucking selves out.

Boke1879

If people can defend 137 shots and a cop jumping on a hood and unloading 49 rounds into someone unarmed. as a black man I truly fear for my life.

The fact that this judge said it was the officers "constitutional right" is jarring and absurd to me. Just add an amendments to the constitution that reads if and officer "says" he fears for his life he's allowed to kill unarmed black men.

Its not black people its criminals.

Again, history says otherwise. Current, and past.

EDIT: Though ironically you may be right. It is built to be inhumane to criminals. Which is a great reason why black people are pigeonholed into becoming criminals systematically and historically. Out of sight and mind.

There is a group of protesters marching downtown down Lakeside. They crossed over to the highway (I think route 2) and blocked it off both ways standing in a row.

And then the helicopter camera feed stopped and cut to a yellow screen. If anyone can direct me to a new feed, please let me know.

xerneas

Banned
If people can defend 137 shots and a cop jumping on a hood and unloading 49 rounds into someone unarmed. as a black man I truly fear for my life.

i think it's important to look at this occurrence in the proper temporal and informational contexts.

if you were hanging out with your friends in some parking lot, and a car suddenly rammed into one of your friends' cars and then targeted them, would you consider that to be a threat to your own personal safety, or to the safety of your friends?

the officers were under the assumption that the victims were armed, and they had just been led on a 20 mile chase. when the victims' car showed an act of aggression, the officers responded in a way that most of us would probably respond if were were put in that situation.

this is truly an unfortunate tragedy though, as we know now, the victims weren't armed, and apparently were quite high as well - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/25/timothy-russell-malissa-williams-cocaine_n_2553017.html. this is probably why they fled from the police for so long, and probably why they rammed an officers vehicle. they didn't have any type of malicious intent, they were just high.

unfortunately, though, it was impossible for the officers to have known this at the time. in a court of law, a prosecutor would have a tough time trying to prove that brelo's bullets were the specific bullets that killed the victims, when the victims where hit with dozens of other lethal shots. if we scale back, the prosecutor would then have a tough time proving the police were acting malevolently, given the information that was known to them at the time, and given that the victims' car has just rammed and targeted an officer.

a truly unfortunate situation all around.

Cuyahoga County judge John P O’Donnell said prosecutors failed to prove without a reasonable doubt that bullets fired by officer Brelo were the cause of death of Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell,

It's not funny, in fact, it's really scary, as a black man.

But I couldn't help but let out a laugh. You can't possibly be THIS stupid. I'm gonna say corruption.

i think it's important to look at this occurrence in the proper temporal and informational contexts.

if you were hanging out with your friends in some parking lot, and a car suddenly rammed into one of your friends' cars and then targeted them, would you consider that to be a threat to your own personal safety, or to the safety of your friends?

the officers were under the assumption that the victims were armed, and they had just been led on a 20 mile chase. when the victims' car showed an act of aggression, the officers responded in a way that most of us would probably respond if were were put in that situation.

But shouldn't cops be training their minds to respond more appropriately? I mean, I don't want cops to be just another citizen with a gun. I want them to be able to be level headed enough to respond in moments of aggression without a hail of gunfire.

I want the cops we pay for to NOT be the same as another average joe with the gun. Otherwise we might as well arm ourselves and call ourselves police.

xerneas

Banned
But shouldn't cops be training their minds to respond more appropriately? I mean, I don't want cops to be just another citizen with a gun. I want them to be able to be level headed enough to respond in moments of aggression without a hail of gunfire.

i certainly feel that police abuse their powers almost routinely (i know from personal experience), so i certainly don't praise officers as if they're all benevolent protectors. however, given the situation, and given what the officers knew at the time, what would have constituted an appropriate reaction?

i often try to imagine how i would react in situations such as this. if i were driving to class, and had just parked my car, gotten out, and suddenly witnessed someone ramming into my car, and then coming after me - what would i do? if i had a gun, would i shoot? would i run? could i even run from a car coming after me?

if someone immediately provided me with information that the person driving that car was armed, would that change how i would react in the heat of the moment?

we know now, of course, that the victims weren't armed, and were acting that way due to the fact that they were high, but this information wasn't known to the officers at the time, unfortunately.

xXg3uze.gif

Javaman

Trying to hit someone with a car is considered assault with a deadly weapon. It would be nice if the story had more details like if that actually happened.

The CNN article only mentions the car ramming another car.

The eventual civil suit probably isnt going to go in the cop's favor unless they can prove that the deceased were trying to hit the officer.

Two Words

I'll agree that the police shooting nearly 100 bullets at them probably killed them already, but there should be some kind of punishment for pointlessly shooting at a corpse as a police officer.

sensui-tomo

Perhaps had other officers not taken the 5th, we'd have more details
Pleading the fifth sucks, means we wont get any information. (on a side note it makes me think of that skit with Dave Chappelle) Basically cops messed up, and the only way I can see this as a lesser issue is if we could know without a doubt that the vehicle was being used at a point to harm police. so all in all , I reserve judgement for the victims until we know what happened, but the cops messed up with those extra over excessive bullets.

Oh, please.

Attack the event itself, the response by police, the method of the prosecution, absolutely. Protest everything that happened that day and that the cops are allowed to act as they do. But with what was placed in front of the judge, and the burden of proof necessary, how do you say that this specific cop is guilty of manslaughter?

The cops are entrenched in a secure position and the prosecution didn't do much to attack that. This was a pretty weak and not very aggressive case put in front of the judge.

Do you know how hard it is to coordinate 100 people trying to tell the same lie?

If they're all a part of the same organization with a history of looking out for their own, then it's not very hard at all.

PopeReal

Sorry, but most of America doesn't care.

Unless protests get out of hand. And some buildings are looted or burned down. Then we will get the social media outrage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom